Burning Man 2013 Tickets Info

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Burning Man 2013 Tickets Info

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:30 am

Done. I'm getting a feeling that while multiple purchases would be ok, that only one place in line at a time is allowed. Just my hunch. I'll report back when hear back from ticketing..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby 9ah » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 am

That would also suck if someone was using public wifi somewhere and another person tried after them/folks at the same company... I know a few people that work/burn together (Googler's for one)....
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby JohnG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 am

If the 40,000 general sale tix were pushed out first, it may well have shown that the directed sale would be unnecessary. It would have saved a considerable effort (aka sudden panic) trying to round up camp members, entering data, etc. If those 40,000 tix were promptly snatched up, then maybe the directed sale would prove to be needed. I'm not at all convinced that it would be.

At first I thought they had the ticketing mess fixed, but then the bombshell of the profile nonsense was dropped along with a ridiculously short time to collect and enter information. My camp members are scattered all over the US & Canada, plus several from other countries. It's no small feat to get them coordinated, particularly considering that we have been in idle mode for the last several months. To do it in three or four days with no prior notice is a real headache for the small group that are at the core of our effort. I personally very much dislike having to create a profile just to buy a ticket. I have no choice, regardless of where I get my ticket, because I'm the lucky one that has the link and has to enter the data.
JohnG

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

It took about 15 minutes for my team members to verify email addresses and tell me what names they wanted to use. And I had them all entered 10 minutes after the link was available. Not a big deal. Really, if this is too much work...
The burner profile isn't overly intrusive. I expected a much lengthier process than what was presented.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Kendoll and I will be purchasing our tickets at the same time Sarah is purchasing hers, from the same house on different computers. Surely inticketing saw this issue coming.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Rice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm

one would hope that is the case. A simple way of dealing with multiple computers on the same IP address would be to issue a cookie for each user. -- then it does not matter what IP you are on. (there are some potential issues with this solution, but it would only occur on a particular computer)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

i've purchased tickets for my offspring and I on the different computers, same house. I think it is the names on the cc that attract attention...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Rice » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:23 pm

lucky420 wrote:i've purchased tickets for my offspring and I on the different computers, same house. I think it is the names on the cc that attract attention...

Word!! - Hopefully they didn't fix some issues and cause others. . .
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:40 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Trilo - Do you know of any kind of policy or safeguard in place against multiple ticket purchases from the same IP address?

On ticket purchase day, I was planning on buying 2 for me under my name but also helping my sister-in-law purchase hers since she has to work that day. I'll be hitting refresh on two different computers that are side by side but running through the same router of course. Would I have any issues with this?

Couldn't you buy your tickets, then turn off the router to recycle it? It would be assigned a new IP address when it rebooted. Unless you are paying for a static IP address.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

I posed this question to BM ticketing support and they confirmed that this would not be a problem.

junglesmacks wrote:Trilo - Do you know of any kind of policy or safeguard in place against multiple ticket purchases from the same IP address?

On ticket purchase day, I was planning on buying 2 for me under my name but also helping my sister-in-law purchase hers since she has to work that day. I'll be hitting refresh on two different computers that are side by side but running through the same router of course. Would I have any issues with this?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 pm

jkisha wrote:Couldn't you buy your tickets, then turn off the router to recycle it? It would be assigned a new IP address when it rebooted. Unless you are paying for a static IP address.

That is pretty inefficient. Much easier to fire up a few hundred micro instances on the cloud, buy a bunch of tickets with unique IP addresses, kill them all, and then start another batch. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's how I bought most of the tickets last year.
5280MeV

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

5280MeV wrote:
jkisha wrote:Couldn't you buy your tickets, then turn off the router to recycle it? It would be assigned a new IP address when it rebooted. Unless you are paying for a static IP address.

That is pretty inefficient. Much easier to fire up a few hundred micro instances on the cloud, buy a bunch of tickets with unique IP addresses, kill them all, and then start another batch. Wash, rinse, repeat.

That's how I bought most of the tickets last year.

Do you freelance?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby xjoeham » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:11 pm

Pre-registration for tickets. Will I do this through the 'www.burningman.com/' website?
thanks
joeh
xjoeham

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:39 am

xjoeham wrote:Pre-registration for tickets. Will I do this through the 'www.burningman.com/' website?
thanks
joeh

Start here.

The radical self-reliance of actually looking at the link you posted would also have given you your answer.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:41 am

Eric, that's just not fair. Burningman is a place for us all to come together and build a better world, not a place to work.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:07 pm

jkisha wrote:

Couldn't you buy your tickets, then turn off the router to recycle it? It would be assigned a new IP address when it rebooted. Unless you are paying for a static IP address.

Some internet providers give you back the same IP address.. At least, they do up here. Maybe in the larger cities that is not the case. But I would not rely on or expect that to happen.

YMMV
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Eric, that's just not fair. Burningman is a place for us all to come together and build a better world, not a place to work.

And building a better world only requires us to get together and Partay??

Nothing good is easy!!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Mr. Just Right » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Well....partayin' is a lot of work...somebody has to do it. :lol: :lol:
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
Mr. Just Right

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:34 pm

kaicrown wrote:Well....partayin' is a lot of work...somebody has to do it. :lol: :lol:

Some so-called burners believe that Partaying is all that Burning Man is!!!

{Rant}
So many people wandered up to my camp asking for water in 2012. they did not have anything but a cup with them. If they stuck around for my lecture i gave them water. (amazingly, about 1/2 walked away after I started talking :shock: ) [The only time I walk around without water is going to the porta potties...]

{End of rant}
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:36 pm

stretch80 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Eric, that's just not fair. Burningman is a place for us all to come together and build a better world, not a place to work.

And building a better world only requires us to get together and Partay??

Nothing good is easy!!

'xactly!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:37 pm

stretch80 wrote:
kaicrown wrote:Well....partayin' is a lot of work...somebody has to do it. :lol: :lol:

{Rant}
So many people wandered up to my camp asking for water in 2012. they did not have anything but a cup with them. If they stuck around for my lecture i gave them water. (amazingly, about 1/2 walked away after I started talking :shock: ) [The only time I walk around without water is going to the porta potties...]

{End of rant}

Good in the bad: At least the carry the cup message is getting through!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:39 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
stretch80 wrote:

{Rant}

{End of rant}

Good in the bad: At least the carry the cup message is getting through!

I am sure the staff at the medical tents appreciated the fact that the dehydrated, sunburned, dust-coated idiot they were dealing with had their own cup...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Mr. Just Right » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:43 pm

stretch80 wrote:

{Rant}

{End of rant}

Oh, I definitely believe there is more to BM than partying. Hard to catch my sarcasm through a post.
Mr. Just Right

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:55 pm

kaicrown wrote:
stretch80 wrote:

{Rant}

{End of rant}

Oh, I definitely believe there is more to BM than partying. Hard to catch my sarcasm through a post.

I caught it, but had a rant that I had to get out there... 1. Get my camp set up, 2. Help neighbors set up theirs, 3. Relax, 4. Volunteer daily with the Org, 5. repeat 2-5 as necessary...
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Mr. Just Right » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:12 pm

No worries, I understand. Haven't been a Burner long but even I have things to rant about so called burners.
Mr. Just Right

Postby Mr. Just Right » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Sorry for pulling off topic, is there already a design for the 2013 tickets?
Mr. Just Right

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Probably. But we won't see it for a while. Does anyone remember if we saw something before they were shipped?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Nothing you'd see before June or July ;)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:28 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Probably. But we won't see it for a while. Does anyone remember if we saw something before they were shipped?

I dont think I saw a pic of last year's ticket until they were shipped... Keeps fakes from showing up for a while!!
Love Rice

Rice

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Pretty much what I thought.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion