Is "Fake Indian dancing" discouraged?

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Is "Fake Indian dancing" discouraged?

Postby Sunbeam56 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 pm

I saw a post. My mind is full from perusing this site for the last week, I don't recall where or who - that sort of implied "fake-Indian" dancing was ...ummm... not appreciated.
I perfectly intend to "fake-Indian" dance. Specifically, as much as I can of the Sious Ghost Dance. At sunrise. Near the Temple
Where does this fit on the meter of weird versus usual?
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Re: Is "Fake Indian dancing" discouraged?

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm

i would say, go for it...

[media]
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:25 pm

If feathers and/or lots of tiny, loosely-attached beads are involved, that part is more than discouraged, it's actively forbidden.

Which doesn't mean that feathers and shoddy bead construction don't happen anyway.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Only real Indians will know if you are faking it or not.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby TT120 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:30 pm

I thought it was "fake indian, dancing"

Either way, only a "real" indian would know.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Canoe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Is this the same Ghost Dance that originated with the Northern Paiute, Nevada, before spreading to other western tribes?
The one that is associated with the Lakota Sioux massacre at Wounded Knee?

I believe that the Pyramid Lake Paiute are part of the Northern Paiute.
Not sure which of the Northern Paiute may follow the Ghost Dance, but I'd bet the Pyramid Lake Paiute are aware of it.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby trilobyte » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 pm

It's possible people could think you're a culturally insensitive asshole, or they might be okay with it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:46 pm

You better be careful... Dont let the Moccasin Maffia catch you.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:01 pm

trilobyte wrote:It's possible people could think you're a culturally insensitive asshole, or they might be okay with it.

This is when I wish we had a Like button. And I'm not a big user of the Like button on that other site lol
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:02 pm

I think free spirited dancing from the soul is not owned by any one race or culture. Don't mimic, do your own thing.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby jkisha » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm

trilobyte wrote:It's possible people could think you're a culturally insensitive asshole, or they might be okay with it.

More insensitive than a camp that executes barbies in ovens that are guarded by ken dolls dressed up as nazzis? That sort of humor epitomizes the artistic freedom of BM, if you ask me.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 pm

I find it inherently problematic to take something sacred from a culture that has been fractured by your own people and use it as your own.
For some reason, I don't feel quite as queasy about the Sundance. I'm guessing it's because you're putting your body on the line (and that culture exists with the burn) and because that massacre of Ghost Dancers that ended the practice. I suppose it counts as a Cargo Culture response...
but I still love the theme, go figure...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:34 pm

see, that's the thing:
"culturally insensitive"? no, and so what?
Dance, if you wish.
People who want to bitch and whine because it's "their" dance, best go listen to gourd shaking music, not the Doors.
I can see no insult in dancing a dance, you like.
Yeah, so, who gets to do "the twist"?.........only people born in the 40's? (teens in the 50's).

Gosh dang people and "P.C." crap.
it's not like your pointing and laughing and saying somethings wrong with it or them

I say dance........dance like no one, or everyone is watching. Make it your own.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Canoe » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:19 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:... that massacre of Ghost Dancers that ended the practice...[/size]

It is reported that the massacre ended the practice, which would suggest that the Ghost Dance is unlikely to be sacred to anyone. Yet I watched a modern video in which a Paiute Shaman stated that there were only six left who know the songs for that dance, which suggests that the five day dance continued, and possibly continues, to be performed in one form or another.

That said, how would one person perform a Round Dance?
Perhaps there are others who would be interested in joining you?
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 am

I'll bring cake.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sunbeam56 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:49 am

The "ghost dance" I was thiking about is a physical prayer. A body movement, shuffe, stamp, while thinking and praying to and for the souls of departed loved ones.

I don't know that this prayer existed in authentic Indian religions - hence the question about "fake-Indian" dancing.

Indian religions are not well documented, for obvious reasons. After Wounded Knee there was a "Ghost Dance" Society. It was started by a Prophet who believe that they could dance the world to peace. Its a modern charismatic sort of movement, still practiced today - and I am NOT part of it.
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:58 am

I've seen people do what looks to be unauthentic cowboy dancing. Nobody gets bent out of shape about that. If I were a cowboy type, I'd be happy and flattered that somebody likes our dance enough to want to emulate it.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:00 am

You probably have your own forgotten prehistoric culture. It's a shame that you don't honor it.
That's what my Injun friends say anyway.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:The "ghost dance" I was thiking about is a physical prayer. A body movement, shuffe, stamp, while thinking and praying to and for the souls of departed loved ones.

I don't know that this prayer existed in authentic Indian religions - hence the question about "fake-Indian" dancing.

Indian religions are not well documented, for obvious reasons. After Wounded Knee there was a "Ghost Dance" Society. It was started by a Prophet who believe that they could dance the world to peace. Its a modern charismatic sort of movement, still practiced today - and I am NOT part of it.

Jeebus wants you for a sunbeam, and he expects his sunbeams to DANCE dammit!!!!!!!! 8)
Last edited by FIGJAM on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 am

jkisha - exactly. People could think of BDC or a million other things out there as being culturally insensitive. Or they might be okay with it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Canoe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:The "ghost dance" I was thiking about is a physical prayer. A body movement, shuffe, stamp, while thinking and praying to and for the souls of departed loved ones.

I'd guess body movement, shuffle, stamp, while... would be fine. Much like a lot of the very drunk dancing, only with prayer... which we already see with some of the drunk dancing.

As Ghost Dance is a defined Round Dance, perhaps NOT calling what you'll do a Ghost Dance will avoid offense, although it is BRC and just about anything can be offensive to someone there.

Would you be dressed like a Holywood Indian while doing this?
Canoe

Postby CornMan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:12 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:You probably have your own forgotten prehistoric culture. It's a shame that you don't honor it.

Yeah, it wasn't until I was an adult that I found out that my grandfather immigrated from Estonia. Maybe that's why we embraced this America thing so thoroughly. I don't know if I would want to try to adopt Estonian culture at this point. It would probably feel contrived.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:16 am

Back in my dancing days.. A native Am. friend asked to copy my country stomp for his pow wow dance..Must have hurt his feet. I always wore boots.
unjonharley

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:24 am

As long as your dancing and your prayers are sincere, then there can be no legitimate complaint against it. This is your inherent freedom as a human being, to believe as you wish, and to practice any sort of spirituality that you wish.

I tend to be a skeptical and empirically minded person, but if anything in this world is really spiritual, then dancing is pretty near the top of my list.

If music or the rising sun compels you to move in a certain way, then you move in a certain way. This movement may be in part guided by ways that you have seen other people move, and it is possible that it may be influenced either by actual Native American dances or by inauthentic portrayals of Native American dances. This simply doesn't matter. One must be allowed to move how ones spirit dictates.

Religion and art is inherently syncretic, and I simply cannot accept the notion that certain basic movements, ideas, or patterns are off limits to anyone based on the atrocities of the past. If the influence on you is sincere - if your actions represent nothing more or less than you being you, accepting the sum total of all you have experienced - then what you are doing is valid.

I don't really buy into the whole language of "appropriation" versus "appreciation" that I often hear. If a cultural artifact or story speaks to you in a deep and meaningful way, and if you are sincerely moved by it, then I call that appreciation. I don't think it matters if you have permission from anyone or if you even understand what the original meaning of the piece was to the author. Once you are sincerely affected by something, you have gained a new appreciation of it.

That said, one must realize that taking cultural artifacts and being ironic or silly with them is going to piss some people off. Especially in light of the atrocities that were committed against the Native American people - atrocities which many people still refuse to admit were real. When people in the United States take these cultures and make light of them in a patronizing manner, then yea, they are basically being giant assholes.
5280MeV

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:35 am

5280MeV wrote:

I tend to be a skeptical and empirically minded person, but if anything in this world is really spiritual, then dancing is pretty near the top of my list.

I'll drink to that..( coffee please)
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:44 am

Zeke Chaparral wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:You probably have your own forgotten prehistoric culture. It's a shame that you don't honor it.

Yeah, it wasn't until I was an adult that I found out that my grandfather immigrated from Estonia. Maybe that's why we embraced this America thing so thoroughly. I don't know if I would want to try to adopt Estonian culture at this point. It would probably feel contrived.

Yeah, you have a good point. Either way, I supposed you're going to offend somebody. Though when I go to Europe and tell people that my ancestors came from their village, they are thrilled. But if I showed up at the "res" with a war bonnet on, I'd probably get a different reception.

But people do what they do at Burning Man. Many paths are available through the desert.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 am

The breadth of responses here is probably similar to what it'll be out there, i.e., no one can know what kind of reaction you'll get. The city does not move in lockstep--it's got people from all over the world.

If a certain dance feels spiritually necessary to you, then it might be worth it regardless of the reaction you get.

If you move people with your dancing, that might compensate for a lot. (No promises.)

If it's organic to you, rather than a performance, there's no reason you can't wait and just decide on the playa.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 am

Zeke Chaparral wrote:

Tere Homikust!!

Zeke:
Esti culture, is very near Pagan, judging by my experiences there.
I loved everything about the country, including the pervasive "Pagan" overtones and practices.
They claim to have been the last to "fall" to Xtianity, and some claim they just nodded, to go along.
It is a magical land, I'd love to return to. wonderful people and culture.
Check it out, really, it might fit better than you think.

Kuulmessini

*my spelling is undoubtedly wrong*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:57 pm

I remember whan people thought this might be disrespectful too.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sunbeam56 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

"Would you be dressed like a Holywood Indian while doing this?"

Naw - no feathers on the playa... :)
Maybe a leather bikini?
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Next

Return to 2013 Art & Performance