Death of a friend - need photo of neon "ghosts" sign. Help?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Death of a friend - need photo of neon "ghosts" sign. Help?

Postby bluerondo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:55 am

My girlfriend Jess died in 2010. At the funeral, I became close to her best friend, Amy. Amy and I helped and comforted each other, and noticed as we spent time together that each of us had so much of Jess still inside us. We reflected Jess in ourselves to such an extent that it was almost as if Jess were alive, as we kept her alive in our mannerisms, our way of thinking and speaking, and the way we treated others.

Amy found a photo from Burning Man that encapsulated this thought. It's a photo of a neon sign at dusk, resting in the desert. The words were something like, "Those who die are kept alive as ghosts inside of us." It was profound, and perfectly expressed how we felt about Jess.

Amy herself died in a car accident on Monday. She'd been off the grid for a while - closed her Facebook account, etc. - so the photo she'd originally posted is inaccessible. I can't find it online. Amy's memorial service is Sunday, and I'd love to have the photo before then.

Does anyone recognize this? Anyone know where I can find it? It would mean so much to me if someone here could help. Thank you.
bluerondo

Burning Since: 2017

Re: Death of a friend - need photo of neon "ghosts" sign. He

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:41 pm

Wow. I wish I could help. I am.. so.. so.. sorry..

Wow.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Holy shit. I found you a lead.

THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE
BECOME GHOSTS INSIDE
OF YOU AND LIKE THIS
YOU KEEP THEM ALIVE

Here's a picture.
http://hearttoexplain.com/2011/05/03/ghosts-inside/

Robert Montgomery's art. Beautiful.

"Besides being an artist, Robert Montgomery is also the associate publisher of Dazed&Confused magazine. Since 2005 he has carried out his WORDS IN THE CITY AT NIGHT project, an ongoing series of text pieces inspired by the Situationist concept of detournement which hijacks advertising space in the city, often illegally, and replaces the advertising with poetry. His poems connect with the traditions of concrete poetry, and Situationism. He makes billboard pieces, recycled sunlight pieces and drawings."

Hope that helps. I'm really sorry about your friend.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:46 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Savannah, you're angel. I get to say WOW again!

Doing more digging, I found the artists personal email: ROB@ROBERTMONTGOMERY.ORG
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby bluerondo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:11 pm

Savannah wrote:Holy shit. I found you a lead.

THE PEOPLE YOU LOVE
BECOME GHOSTS INSIDE
OF YOU AND LIKE THIS
YOU KEEP THEM ALIVE

Here's a picture.
http://hearttoexplain.com/2011/05/03/ghosts-inside/

Robert Montgomery's art. Beautiful.

"Besides being an artist, Robert Montgomery is also the associate publisher of Dazed&Confused magazine. Since 2005 he has carried out his WORDS IN THE CITY AT NIGHT project, an ongoing series of text pieces inspired by the Situationist concept of detournement which hijacks advertising space in the city, often illegally, and replaces the advertising with poetry. His poems connect with the traditions of concrete poetry, and Situationism. He makes billboard pieces, recycled sunlight pieces and drawings."

Hope that helps. I'm really sorry about your friend.

That's the one. I guess it wasn't from Burning Man after all. Thank you so much for your help.
bluerondo

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Open Discussion