virgin burner/solo novice camper from san francisco

virgin burner/solo novice camper from san francisco

Postby missprism » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:33 pm

hi everyone!

yes, there is someone in san francisco who has never been to burning man :) well, actually i live in alameda but so shhh.

in fact, most of my friends range from mild disgust to severe hatred of the playa.. i used to be among them until suddenly i just got so intrigued that i decided to read up on what it REALLY was. i'm hooked! can't wait to have fun, relax, and make lots of new friends.

i'd absolutely love to attend this year but seeing as how i can't find a person who would (or can afford to) attend, i guess i'm on my own. i'm thinking about maybe joining a village, something like hushville? i like quiet and i like the idea of being quietly together even if we're alone!

i'm REALLY intimidated by the camping aspect. i was traumatized by summer camps, full of wet tents and gross bugs. well.. the playa isn't quite like that so i figure i am up for a challenge. i will probably be pulling many tips from the eplaya; i hope 7 months prep is enough.

hope to meet some groovy people here, maybe even camping partners? i'm thinking about renting a camping van as i'm nervous about wrecking my car.
missprism

Burning Since: 2013

Re: virgin burner/solo novice camper from san francisco

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi Esmeralada!

What do you do for fun? And I'm dying to know--where on the continuum between mild disgust and severe hatred did you fall, for this thing you've never experienced? :D (That's not a rhetorical question; I am sincerely interested). I know that as a San Franciscan you must have had it up to HERE with people not being able to shut up about the playa. Heh. But at least now, you'll see for yourself.

It's okay to be intimidated by the physical work, if you use that feeling to be ultra-prepared. You should be a little intimidated; it's a harsh climate. But yes--7 months is plenty of time to get ready. You could do it in half the time. But since you have the option: don't. :)

You will lack for virtually any bugs out there (though watch out for going to the bathroom alongside rivers on the way; a campmate of mine collected a dozen bugbites in two minutes that way). Rain is possible on the playa, but infrequent. Knowing your limitations and getting a camper van is really smart. The best way to be comfortable is to know what you need, pay attention to it, and accept responsibility for it rather than expecting yourself to become hardier overnight.

Other things that help the camper with delicate sensibilities:
* pee funnel (rigid is best; Freshette or cheaper automotive funnel with elongated mouth)
* pee bottle (detergent bottles rock)
* several mini sanitizers and a pump for refills
* lights on lanyards for the bathrooms at night.

I actually recommend those things for all (except obviously, not pee funnels for men) but they are especially nice for the squeamish. Practice with a funnel at home. It will save you several walks per day and maybe at night when you're cold.

Hushville sounds like a plan; track them down. (Shouldn't be hard). Also--silicone earplugs are the shiz. Tear them in half if your ears are small.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby missprism » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm

hi savannah! thanks for the welcome!

yeah, i would say burning man is really divisive in the bay area. it is generally known as a playground for rich techie ravers who believe it is "art" to go party out of their mind on designer drugs for a week to awful techno and then talk about how great it was for the other 51. also the steampunk fashion, burlesque, carnival, tribal hippie look is REAL POPULAR around here so it loses that unique quality. i always really into 60s hippie psychedelic music but the actual 1960s stuff, not the modern day hippiesm so i never really connected it with BM.

one of the game changers for me was attending an event that included a lot of burners. guess what? everyone was really NICE. remember nice people?? i sure don't. i'm a naturally shy, withdrawn soul that can be brought out in the right environment where i feel free and accepted. a lot of what i actually saw from real BM accounts DID actually fit in line with the original 60s vision of kindness, art and expression. i truly feel you can make BM into anything you want, provided you come with an open, relaxed attitude. i WANT to be nice to people. i WANT to have random conversations and smiles. i WANT to bond over hardships and dance in celebration of overcoming them!!!!

to be honest, it sucks having unsupportive friends about this. the reactions have ranged from "well, not for me, but i can understand it" to "EWWW WE ARE THROUGH." one of my more experimental long term friends who organizes various music events was like "we should totally go!!!" but he's a flake, less handy than me even and balked at the ticket price. but what can i do? it will be my last labor day in my 20s..i want to say goodbye to a tumultuous decade in a BIG WAY.

also, thanks for the pee funnel tip. i've been watching halcyon's videos. he's awesome. great tips!
missprism

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:52 pm

esmeralada wrote:one of the game changers for me was attending an event that included a lot of burners. guess what? everyone was really NICE. remember nice people?? i sure don't. i'm a naturally shy, withdrawn soul that can be brought out in the right environment where i feel free and accepted. a lot of what i actually saw from real BM accounts DID actually fit in line with the original 60s vision of kindness, art and expression. i truly feel you can make BM into anything you want, provided you come with an open, relaxed attitude. i WANT to be nice to people. i WANT to have random conversations and smiles. i WANT to bond over hardships and dance in celebration of overcoming them!!!!

Yes--the Burn is what you make it. And Burners do tend to be very kind, especially on the playa. It's a place where most of us feel safer being nice. You can smile at a stranger without someone wondering what the hell you're up to. It's still a real city, so lock your bike and watch your drink (there are a few bad apples at every Burn). But the jerks are memorable, because everyone else is so nice (which fortunately, is also memorable).

Occasionally ePlaya gets pretty snarky under stress or boredom (or for other reasons), but don't let it unnerve you. This is ePlaya, not THE playa.

to be honest, it sucks having unsupportive friends about this. the reactions have ranged from "well, not for me, but i can understand it" to "EWWW WE ARE THROUGH." one of my more experimental long term friends who organizes various music events was like "we should totally go!!!" but he's a flake, less handy than me even and balked at the ticket price. but what can i do? it will be my last labor day in my 20s..i want to say goodbye to a tumultuous decade in a BIG WAY.

Sounds like you know to prepare to go alone/meet up with a camp. :) If your friend makes it, bonus!

Agreed--Burning Man is a great way to say "bye" to your 20's. Whether you love it or hate it, it'll be an adventure.

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:50 pm

You shouldn't find it too difficult to meet people nearby who have gone and who might instill some wisdom basics into you. There are probably multiple camps who'd be delighted to have someone to help do stuff pre-playa. Ditto art projects.

I am not kind. I'm one of the snarky, nasty, unfriendly types, although I'm too old, fat, and well-read to be a hipster. I also am not an edm sort of cheese. I'm more on the Red Army Choir end. I spend my time reading about Stalin. Totally digging into stuff most people prefer hidden. But Trilo, I bet he could give you a pointer or two. Or Marty. You might volunteer now with the llc. All sorts of geographic blessings.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby canexplain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:40 am

This is ePlaya, not THE playa.

Welcome new here too. I had/have friends in Pacifica. Listen to the mod, she seems to know what she is talking about. I still have some to read, but do all the links and read what they say if you have the time. Well worth it. I just watched
a vid on you tube that was actually pretty good, but talk about a sparkle bunnie (?), all of her friends and herself were decked out in feathers and everything was THE Playa. Interesting other side .... so it goes ... cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:17 am

Hello and welcome to ePlaya! A couple important things to remember:

1. You'll probably survive
  2. They may give you a hard time, but good friends will stick with you and be there for you once you get back abd have a good shower :wink:
ePlaya can be useful not only as a resource for planning your adventure, but as a space to 'geek out' on the event, so you have an outlet to share your interest and excitement without driving your non (or anti) burner friends batty. You have plenty of time to get ready, I know people who've done it in as little as a couple days (and this was back before the internet was much of a resource) - you've got months. Cheers!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:44 am

Hi Esmeralda

I was like you 2 years ago. I couldnt find one person for the life of me who would go. My husband, best friends, everyone thought I was nuts. I went by myself :D
Although I had some different circumstances my first time (story over cocktails) it was amazing. I am going to next year's burn with a friend of mine who has never gone. I will pm you with my email if you want to chat... just do it!

esmeralada wrote:hi everyone!

yes, there is someone in san francisco who has never been to burning man :) well, actually i live in alameda but so shhh.

in fact, most of my friends range from mild disgust to severe hatred of the playa.. i used to be among them until suddenly i just got so intrigued that i decided to read up on what it REALLY was. i'm hooked! can't wait to have fun, relax, and make lots of new friends.

i'd absolutely love to attend this year but seeing as how i can't find a person who would (or can afford to) attend, i guess i'm on my own. i'm thinking about maybe joining a village, something like hushville? i like quiet and i like the idea of being quietly together even if we're alone!

i'm REALLY intimidated by the camping aspect. i was traumatized by summer camps, full of wet tents and gross bugs. well.. the playa isn't quite like that so i figure i am up for a challenge. i will probably be pulling many tips from the eplaya; i hope 7 months prep is enough.

hope to meet some groovy people here, maybe even camping partners? i'm thinking about renting a camping van as i'm nervous about wrecking my car.
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:[list=1][*]You'll probably survive

"Reasonably good chance of survival."
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby missprism » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:51 pm

now my friend says he IS going

and i'm all excited for my solo set up!! i don't want his disorganized ass mucking it up doh!!
missprism

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm

Good idea to have a "heart to heart" sit down with him. I just met with the people I am going with, their first burn, and wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page, especially since she is sharing my trailer with me and her hubby will camp next to us.

Smart to go through a budget, sleeping situaton, food etc so there are no hidden surprises when u get to the playa and end up losing a friendship. I wrote down everything I could thing of and then we had a wonderful brunch planning party. Alot of newbies dont realize how much is involved and how expensive it gets. When I did our budget, it worked out to be almost $2,500 per person. Wanted to make sure they knew that going into it. I also thought it was good for all 3 of us to have our own coolers. That way we eat and drink what we want and everybody is a Happy Camper. This works for me. Curious to see how others do when camping with friends in the same trailer or area.

esmeralada wrote:now my friend says he IS going

and i'm all excited for my solo set up!! i don't want his disorganized ass mucking it up doh!!
winebuff

Postby Milayna » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am

Hi Esmeralada!! So last year was my first burn and I went completely solo. I also had no friends interested in going. I camped in Hushville and had such a wonderful experience. Everyone was very welcoming, and there were quite a few solo women which was nice. I made lots of friends and will be camping there again this year :) Honestly, I was actually pretty happy I went solo, it really allowed me to experience the burn in whatever way I wanted, which was pretty great.

I came from LA so not too much farther than San Francisco. If you have any questions about Hushville or going solo feel free to PM me :D
Milayna

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:49 am

It's okay. Be happy for him, just don't count on him. You know what he's like. :) Maybe he'll make it, and maybe he won't.

He needs to sign up separately for whatever camp he wants to be in (even if it's the same one) and don't count on his money in your budget. I'm not suggesting you lie to him, of course. If you decide this is something you have got to do solo (within a group, or not) tell him you have a compelling spiritual need to test yourself and be a stranger in a strange land. :) You can always meet up and have adventures.

Among Burners, this is totally reasonable, actually.

Savannah

Postby winebuff » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:52 am

Milayna, I would love to hang out with you or go out for a night at Bm. I am going with a friend but she is a bit slower than me so wont have as much energy. I camped in Hushville 2 yrs ago and the peeps are so very nice. Will drop by to say hi to you, Marty and AntiM!
Milayna wrote:Hi Esmeralada!! So last year was my first burn and I went completely solo. I also had no friends interested in going. I camped in Hushville and had such a wonderful experience. Everyone was very welcoming, and there were quite a few solo women which was nice. I made lots of friends and will be camping there again this year :) Honestly, I was actually pretty happy I went solo, it really allowed me to experience the burn in whatever way I wanted, which was pretty great.

I came from LA so not too much farther than San Francisco. If you have any questions about Hushville or going solo feel free to PM me :D
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 am

Going through the same thing now. Great advice. When you spend SO much money on BM, this is the time to cover you first.

Savannah wrote:

It's okay. Be happy for him, just don't count on him. You know what he's like. :) Maybe he'll make it, and maybe he won't.

He needs to sign up separately for whatever camp he wants to be in (even if it's the same one) and don't count on his money in your budget. I'm not suggesting you lie to him, of course. If you decide this is something you have got to do solo (within a group, or not) tell him you have a compelling spiritual need to test yourself and be a stranger in a strange land. :) You can always meet up and have adventures.

winebuff

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:39 pm

winebuff wrote:Going through the same thing now. Great advice. When you spend SO much money on BM, this is the time to cover you first.

Savannah wrote:

My first 3 burns I traveled from Canada with people I had met on the internet.

My virgin burn (1st) I was with a wonderful experienced burner, she gave me good advice - it was awesome (no issues at all)! (We have since become good friends)

My 2nd burn was with someone from another city. She turned out to not be so capable, that burn sure coulda gone a lot smoother. (Camp drama, gear issues, $$ sharing issues, lack of self reliance, etc...) In the end, it was a good burn, but I dislike drama.

My 3rd burn was with a guy from my city and a girl in a different city. No issues whatsoever, we got along great (the first trip where I had another driver for the trip - awesome for the 3000Km 1-way trip & way more awesome for the exhausted return trip!!) - We had an awesome camp, completely self reliant. Minimal drama. Ended up becoming really good friends with the female. It probably help that everyone was a returning burner - no newbies ;)

Every burn has taught me new things! I now know what questions to ask of perspective travel partners. I certainly know what questions to ask if I am going to be sharing my camp!! I learned that I need to test everything (EVERYTHING) at home. Nice people are not necessarily good campers, or that self reliant. If you are an easy-going person, you might not want to camp with a control freak... Some people cannot use a camp stove (yes, seriously - the are unable).

If you are crossing any border into the USA, make sure you know your passengers - Look at their passport, Burning Man ticket, Early Entry pass, etc.!! Ask them if they have any legal issues (be blunt and clear on that one!!), cause the last thing you want is to lose your ability to go to the USA. (Any past legal issue, could be a reason for denial of entry into the USA!!) I told each and every person that I would unload their crap onto the side of the road and abandon them. - I never had an issue, and everyone I traveled with understood my paranoid questions! NEVER ASSUME

The last three burns I have flown down to San Francisco by myself. - which a different experience and another tale...

I believe that anyone is capable of taking care of themselves!! I am a guy. I assume everyone is equally capable of doing whatever on the Playa (or in the default world). Which means, I will not do ___ for you, because I am a guy. If you are female, and travelling/camping with me - I expect that you can pound your own tent pegs, light the stove, cook, raise your tent, lay a tarp, pull out your tent pegs, etc.... Sure, I will give you a hand if needed, but I will not do everything for you!!! (Which is now why I only camp with my girlfriend, who I met at the burn, and who can take care of herself. )

So, work out travelling expenses. Give that info to each perspective travel partner. Tell them exactly what their portion will be.

Lay out all expectations.

Give them a deadline to commit. (Plan to be solo, and if they do end up committing - you will be better prepared).

Prepare/find gear lists and pass them on to perspective travel companions. - Follow up to ensure they have the minimum gear...

Maybe, if you feel the person is "flaky", you should cut them loose.

If possible, do a trial vehicle pack. This will let your travel partner know you are serious and give you an idea as to how ready they really are.

Good Luck!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 pm

Killer advice, stretch80. I'll probably be linking people to that post. :D

While the stuff about checking tickets EA passes, passports, criminal histories and "Are you carrying anything illegal No, seriously" are the most crucial, I also really subscribe to the simplicity of "Nice people are not necessarily good campers, or self reliant."

I think "Can they Burn well?" before I think "Are they a dear, dear friend?"

Savannah

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:11 pm

Savannah wrote:Killer advice, stretch80. I'll probably be linking people to that post. :D

While the stuff about checking tickets EA passes, passports, criminal histories and "Are you carrying anything illegal No, seriously" are the most crucial, I also really subscribe to the simplicity of "Nice people are not necessarily good campers, or self reliant."

I think "Can they Burn well?" before I think "Are they a dear, dear friend?"

I have lost good friends because of on-playa compatibility issues! I will not camp with friends, strangers, or anyone but my Girlfriend. I know we work well on the playa together, and just do not want to deal with anyone else. I sometimes camp on the same block, or near my friends - so it is easy to socialize, but we are clearly in different camps. It is my way of burning, that works for me. (Everyone is different and burns different - so, YMMV)

I have seen a lot of people have what I call "the second burn syndrome". What i mean, is after their first burn - they have grand plans for their second burn. - Unfortunately, they only know what they know - and those super awesome plans frequently fall apart and explode in their faces. I personally learned more about being ready for the playa on my 2nd burn. After that camping disaster, I have never allowed myself to be that unprepared again. Some people can pull it off, but many don't.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:25 pm

I have a former roommate who makes a wonderful co-Burner because she is 1) highly responsible 2) good with money 3) Doesn't make her problems into other people's problems, & 4) Capable with a capital-C. (I don't know many people who can do as many things as she does, and do them well.)

We looked out for each other of course, but we never had to worry about one another.

We burned together in 2008 and 2009 and had a great time.

Savannah

Postby jkisha » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:56 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Hey Esmeralada Welcome to eplaya!!!!

[media]
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby burner von braun » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Welcome esmeralada! Lots of great advice here, from people who know what they are talking about. You might consider taking a small camping trip somewhere, earlier this summer before the burn, to test your gear and get a little more accustomed to the nature of it all. The confidence and familiarity you'll gain will help you deal with any preburn anxiety that might otherwise build up as the big event draws near, and be replaced with excitement and a big CAN DO feeling.
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Postby missprism » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:54 pm

thank you!

cant believe i dont evne have a ticket yet. my mind is so filled with the possibilities! i can totally see how one week in a desert becomes a lifestyle..

i can't wait to tell my grandkids "yup, i went there way back when!"
missprism

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:42 pm

stretch80 wrote: Some people cannot use a camp stove (yes, seriously - the are unable).

Be fair, that takes some skill. And some people may never have cooked with anything but a microwave.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Rice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
stretch80 wrote: Some people cannot use a camp stove (yes, seriously - the are unable).

Be fair, that takes some skill. And some people may never have cooked with anything but a microwave.

True enough. The person I was ranting about claimed to be an experienced camper... Which (mistakingly) I assumed meant she knew how to use both a coleman white fuel stove and the propane variety... Unfortunately, she could not use either. (It was inconvenient for me to have to be at camp every time she wanted to eat!) - lesson learned.

Thus the suggestion to ask specific questions: ie: "Have you ever used a coleman camp stove? Oh, how long ago??" etc.
Love Rice

Rice

Postby Milayna » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm

winebuff wrote:Milayna, I would love to hang out with you or go out for a night at Bm. I am going with a friend but she is a bit slower than me so wont have as much energy. I camped in Hushville 2 yrs ago and the peeps are so very nice. Will drop by to say hi to you, Marty and AntiM!
Milayna wrote:Hi Esmeralada!! So last year was my first burn and I went completely solo. I also had no friends interested in going. I camped in Hushville and had such a wonderful experience. Everyone was very welcoming, and there were quite a few solo women which was nice. I made lots of friends and will be camping there again this year :) Honestly, I was actually pretty happy I went solo, it really allowed me to experience the burn in whatever way I wanted, which was pretty great.

Yay!! Sounds fun!! :D :D
Milayna

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:55 am

stretch80 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

True enough. The person I was ranting about claimed to be an experienced camper... Which (mistakingly) I assumed meant she knew how to use both a coleman white fuel stove and the propane variety... Unfortunately, she could not use either. (It was inconvenient for me to have to be at camp every time she wanted to eat!) - lesson learned.

Thus the suggestion to ask specific questions: ie: "Have you ever used a coleman camp stove? Oh, how long ago??" etc.

Not to play devils advocate, but... I can only work my Coleman white gas stove when I'm sober or only mildly drunk. And, I've been cooking, or helping my parents cook, on that exact camp stove since I was a child. Remembering when to turn 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then half turn clockwise, the release thumb hole is not as easy as it seems... these also tend to be the exact same times that reading instructions is not easy.

We have since bought one of the green 1lb propane can versions. Though for super high elevation camping the old white gas stove is still the winner!!!! And, in a pinch you can use unleaded gas.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:49 am

illy dilly wrote:
stretch80 wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Be fair, that takes some skill. And some people may never have cooked with anything but a microwave.

Not to play devils advocate, but... I can only work my Coleman white gas stove when I'm sober or only mildly drunk. And, I've been cooking, or helping my parents cook, on that exact camp stove since I was a child. Remembering when to turn 1/4 turn counter-clockwise, then half turn clockwise, the release thumb hole is not as easy as it seems... these also tend to be the exact same times that reading instructions is not easy.

We have since bought one of the green 1lb propane can versions. Though for super high elevation camping the old white gas stove is still the winner!!!! And, in a pinch you can use unleaded gas.

Those coleman white gas stoves can be quirky on-playa. I discovered that if you leave them assembled and there is a decent dust storm, they behave unpredictably (which translates to random giant bursts of flame). So make sure to pull the tank off and bang the dust outa the element tubes before using. Not dangerous if you are aware of the possible problems. It only takes 30 seconds to fix, but is one-hella scary if not expected. (ie: do not light up stove if close to anything flamable or if the roof is closer than 4 feet) YMMV [yes, this was discovered during my sem-disasterous 2nd burn {twitch}]
Love Rice

Rice

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 pm

stretch80 wrote:Those coleman white gas stoves can be quirky on-playa. I discovered that if you leave them assembled and there is a decent dust storm, they behave unpredictably (which translates to random giant bursts of flame). So make sure to pull the tank off and bang the dust outa the element tubes before using. Not dangerous if you are aware of the possible problems. It only takes 30 seconds to fix, but is one-hella scary if not expected. (ie: do not light up stove if close to anything flamable or if the roof is closer than 4 feet) YMMV [yes, this was discovered during my sem-disasterous 2nd burn {twitch}]

What always scares me is when Dip Shit, runs out of gas halfway through boiling water. Turns off gas, starts to remove gas tank and tube assembly out of stove to refile, start digging around for filtered funnel, and then goes to find can of gas.... :shock:
At this point, I put on my goggles, and get the fire extinguisher!

Always!!!!! Fill your gas tank before starting cooking, and NEVER if the unit is hot!
illy dilly

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:10 pm

illy dilly wrote:
stretch80 wrote:Those coleman white gas stoves can be quirky on-playa. I discovered that if you leave them assembled and there is a decent dust storm, they behave unpredictably (which translates to random giant bursts of flame). So make sure to pull the tank off and bang the dust outa the element tubes before using. Not dangerous if you are aware of the possible problems. It only takes 30 seconds to fix, but is one-hella scary if not expected. (ie: do not light up stove if close to anything flamable or if the roof is closer than 4 feet) YMMV [yes, this was discovered during my sem-disasterous 2nd burn {twitch}]

What always scares me is when Dip Shit, runs out of gas halfway through boiling water. Turns off gas, starts to remove gas tank and tube assembly out of stove to refile, start digging around for filtered funnel, and then goes to find can of gas.... :shock:
At this point, I put on my goggles, and get the fire extinguisher!

Always!!!!! Fill your gas tank before starting cooking, and NEVER if the unit is hot!

aaahhh, where is the fun in that??? {sarcasm intended} - why worry about a little fire on the fuel tank? :shock:
Love Rice

Rice

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!