PVC 101 HELP pls

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

PVC 101 HELP pls

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 am

Question ole wise ones. I bought a bunch of pvc to reinforce a shade structure. My husband says I need pvc that doesnt bend so much, stiffer. It made me wonder if pvc that bends more is better with the wind or is firmer pvc better. Any suggestions on the grade to buy? Thx!
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: PVC 101 HELP pls

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

He does'nt get a say cause he's not going. :wink:

What kind of shade?

Monkey hut needs flex.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:16 am

Ha ha, so true.

I am taking a 10 x 10 pop up (not the really cheap kind) and reinforcing it. Planning on tying it down with heavy duty guy ties. Going to zip tie pvc to the sides and the top part of it all around to make a heavier frame, using connectors for the top frame portion.

Bought the heavy duty rope and rebar and plan to use 8 guy ties at 4 corners. Where you tie the ends off on the ground I read that you tie off one rope then anchor it to another piece of rebar a foot from it to reinforce it. Does that make sense? Just not sure what type of pvc, bendable or stiff? Thx :D

FIGJAM wrote:He does'nt get a say cause he's not going. :wink:

What kind of shade?

Monkey hut needs flex.
winebuff

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:31 am

I personally don't feel like zip tying PVC piping to the side of a pop up shade is going to reinforce anything.. and all you'll be doing is wasting time and $$ for naught..

The main reason why those shelters fail is due to the sides flexing in and out as you know. I would spend more of an effort in securing it on all 4 corners and sides if needed to prevent flex. That will get you much farther than zip tied PVC pipes. That.. and correct placement of it behind some type of wind breaking structure if possible.

Last year, even with the winds.. out neighbors had a pop up with just the corners well secured.. and they fared just fine. I was sure that it was going to turn into a 10' square kite, but no..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby CaffeineGirl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:05 am

We attached three of the legs of our pop-up to T stakes by first wrapping the leg and stake with plastic wrap, then wrapping duct tape nice and tight over that. Stayed in place great, and no guys to trip over.
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 am

hmmm, rethinking. Do u have a pic by chance?

CaffeineGirl wrote:We attached three of the legs of our pop-up to T stakes by first wrapping the leg and stake with plastic wrap, then wrapping duct tape nice and tight over that. Stayed in place great, and no guys to trip over.
winebuff

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:23 pm

winebuff wrote:Ha ha, so true.

I am taking a 10 x 10 pop up (not the really cheap kind) and reinforcing it. Planning on tying it down with heavy duty guy ties. Going to zip tie pvc to the sides and the top part of it all around to make a heavier frame, using connectors for the top frame portion.

Bought the heavy duty rope and rebar and plan to use 8 guy ties at 4 corners. Where you tie the ends off on the ground I read that you tie off one rope then anchor it to another piece of rebar a foot from it to reinforce it. Does that make sense? Just not sure what type of pvc, bendable or stiff? Thx :D

FIGJAM wrote:He does'nt get a say cause he's not going. :wink:

What kind of shade?

Monkey hut needs flex.

This last burn my GF and I used a 10x10 popup as shade. We pounded 6 foot long t-stakes (the kind they use on the trash fence) into the ground beside each of the legs. Then we used rope (parachute cord) to tie each of the shade legs to the t-stakes. Then we cut air vents into the roof of the popup so that the wind had some way of venting. Then we attached shade cloth to two of the sides of the popup (used zip ties, so that they would fail instead of killing our popup), but left a 1 foot opening between the ground and the shade cloth. This gave us shade for most of the day, allowed the wind to blow past, caused some sorta dust vortex that kept the dust down during a dust storm. We also anchored the sides of the popup with two lines for each leg to 1 foot pieces off reebar. I did put some zipties on the legs to hold the popup to the T-stakes until we had the wrapped rope attached. (Zipties, by themselves will fail due to repeated wind gusts)

Worked way better than I was expecting. Survived the serious winds that happened pre & post event as well as the less-strong winds during BM. (by strong, I mean over 60 MPH)

I consider it essential to put a tarp on the ground prior to setting the shade up. This gives you a place to walk that is not on the playa. Helps to reduce MOOP, easier on the bare toes, and a bit lest dusty. YMMV (Using standard, small, tent pegs into the ground at each grommet point...) I have used tarps large enough to cover the entire camp area, but found rain can cause issues. So I (wisely?) kept it small this year, just under the shade.
Rice_popup.jpg

We also had a Kodiak tent for that burn. The only dust in our tent was what we brought in on our shoes... :)

In looking through the few pictures I have from this burn, I realized I forgot to take pictures of our camp. I had to swipe a pic from a friend.

After the rain storm, thursday - post event, those t-stakes were a real PIA to remove. After the rain had a chance to dry, it turned the ground into cement. It took twice as long to remove the 4 t-stakes as it did to put everything else up.

That hammock allowed me to sleep during the heat of the hotest day. First burn ever that I was able to get sleep whenever I wanted :)

Trash Fence: Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:45 pm

You guys rock!!!! Definitely going to rethink this. I know it isnt rocket science but want to make sure I do it right. Stretch, thx for all the pics. Really appreciate it everyone :D
winebuff

Postby Gonzo Frothwood » Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm

To answer first question, there is schedule 40 and schedule 600. I forget which is which because I did it wrong first year and have not had to rebuild the second one yet. The clerk will know.
"There is nothing so over-estimated as a piece of ass, and nothing so under-estimated as a good and greasy shit." Boneman Johnson
Gonzo Frothwood

Postby MikeGyver » Wed May 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Two years ago my parents brought one of the cheap ones that was fairly broken already. what we did was brought four 6' re-bar lengths and tied those to the top cross members (whatever you want to call them) and it held up just fine. Had camo net over it though so it wasn't really stressed. I don't see PVC adding very much support to the easy up.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
MikeGyver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Drawingablank » Wed May 29, 2013 6:56 pm

If you are dragging PVC anyway - why not just build a monkey hut. They work great and are easy to build and assemble.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby International Incident » Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 pm

But she's got the pop-up! The Aussies, Pip and Em, did the pop-up with the rebar stakes tied to legs - worked great. The girls are more likely to be found on our "BDV share resources" FB page - ask the girls whether they have photos of what they did :D
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed May 29, 2013 8:56 pm

I know what they did last summer...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Box Burner » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Here is a link with information on pvc pipe

PVC Pipe Info
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby lemur » Wed May 29, 2013 10:08 pm

based on previous experience with PVC that gets lotsa UV exposure and sits unused most of the year in ..whatever.. conditions.. id avoid spending the bigger bucks on fancier (thicker) pvc as ive seen it turn to brittle plastic a year later

now your storage conditions might be different, and the exposure to UV/elements might be dif.. im sure lotsa people reuse their stuff year after year.. but, depending on your situation, and if youre planning on using it again.. you might want to consider this aspect. (storage/reuse/etc)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby BBadger » Thu May 30, 2013 1:38 am

Helps if you wrap the poles in the UV-resistant tarp used for the shade anyway. Or just keep it inside the garage or something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Shelter & Camping