Event Posting

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Event Posting

Postby synz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:29 am

Hopefully this doesn't get buried...

Hi ePlaya, Mods.

I believe there should be a rule change or subforum implementation for the posting of events. They would have to meet certain criteria such as theme camp promoted, burner djs/art/performances, burner principles, and so forth. But why not help create the radical inclusion of newbies, outsiders, lone-burners into the localized events put on in the spirit of burning man? Essentially, events for burners, by burners.

This is most likely the first place curious parties come to explore what this whole Burning Man thing is about anyways, so why restrict event postings to fundraisers or regionals? Most of events are fundraisers anyways. When you have 4 crews coming together from 4 different states to put on a major event, the money made is going straight back into the theme camps for future endeavors.

Open the board to people who aren't interested in waiting 6 months for the burn or the next regional to meet people and have some good, burner fun.
synz

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Mischief

Re: Event Posting

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 am

I can appreciate that you'd like to promote and market your event on ePlaya, but I don't believe that having rules on event posting shatters the idea of radical inclusion of newbies. The site's guidelines for posting events can be found here, and is not likely to change anytime soon.

If you believe your event fits the 'spirit of Burning Man' (and adheres to or is in the spirit of Burning Man's principles, etc), then I encourage you to get in touch with and work with your regional group contact. Otherwise I'd point you in the direction of social networking sites such as Facebook or Google+ (among others) to promote your event(s).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby synz » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:29 am

Yea I was forwarded the rules by a mod earlier and read through them, that's what led me to create this post to begin with.

I see what you're saying, but what I'm saying is: why not?

It would be pointless to get into semantics at this time, but as a promoter, what's the difference between putting on a fundraiser for an art project or theme camp, or having a regional and putting on an event? Especially when said event is not only promoted by burning man theme camps and artists, but is also supported by the local communities, played by burner djs/bands/performers and features burner art?

I guess I just don't understand the point of leaving events of this nature, which adhere to the Burning Man Principles and utilize the lifestyle and mentalities of this community, off of this national forum. This is a great resource for new and old explorers alike to be a part of localized events. Not only that, but I also believe the community could greatly benefit from a little more outside input, creativity and inspiration where events of this nature could cultivate these minds.
synz

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Mischief

Postby Rice » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Why not talk to your regional Burning Man rep, and get the "burner" events sanctioned. Then there is no problem promoting them here.

We use Faceboook to promote all gatherings (both burner and Burning Man), ePlaya is only used to promote Burning Man sanctioned events (official regional events).

I am not sure why you have not getting this. the TOS for Eplaya are pretty clear. The 10 principles of Burning Man can and should be applied in the default world too...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Eric » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:47 pm

synz wrote:It would be pointless to get into semantics at this time, but as a promoter, what's the difference between putting on a fundraiser for an art project or theme camp, or having a regional and putting on an event? Especially when said event is not only promoted by burning man theme camps and artists, but is also supported by the local communities, played by burner djs/bands/performers and features burner art?

Synz- as I told you in PM, I'm also a full time club promoter. It's how I make my living. The party I promote also throws an extremely popular party at Burning Man (I'm not naming it here, because I'm following the guidelines & not promoting here). We pack people in on-playa, and have people tell us we're The One Party they look forward to. Having an exception for a "Burner Friendly" but not actually Burn related event would allow someone like me to promote my events. Hell, I could reasonably even claim we're doing fundraising at all of them for our established camp (17 years on playa), and our established art (a newspaper, 15 years on playa), and our established party (7 years on playa), which means I would be posting every single week, because we have events every single week (next week we have four events in different cities).

While it seems totally logical to you, to me, who volunteers here as a moderator & works in promotion full-time, it looks like a nightmare. As you can see from my example above, opening up the rules leaves gaps large enough to drive a continent through. This is not the place to advertise a non-playa related event.

If you're a promoter, you have a list of places to advertise - mine has 14 national sites I promote on, plus 4-10 local sites depending on the city. Start hunting up sites that appeal to your crowd, most of them have a "free" level (maybe no photos, definitely no heavy promotion), some are worth paying for.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:02 pm

The reason is because that's not what Burning Man wants on this site. I completely understand it, as it wouldn't take long for that section of the board to be buried in event spam. It may surprise you to learn you're not the first promoter who's also a burner, or the first promoter who has expressed an interest in advertising and marketing their events on ePlaya. The rules have changed over the years, tightening up to curb abuses and then more recently, relaxing to allow the listing of fundraising events for on playa projects and theme camps.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:09 pm

synz wrote:... which adhere to the Burning Man Principles and utilize the lifestyle and mentalities of this community,

Oh crap. Not only do I have some sort of community (*ding!*) lifestyle and metality, but I discover it in an awkward grammatical construction...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Policy Discussion