Whining Rights

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: Whining Rights

Postby Claymore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:05 pm

This morning, the local Southern California KTLA news station did a story on the supposed "outrage" over the new BM ticket pricing rolled out this year. The reporting seemed uninformed, and frankly, a little strange. Anyhoo, this will be my first journey to Burning Man, and I have been feverishly reading EPlaya and trying to educate myself. My beautiful wife, who has no interest in attending, appears to have gotten a little tired of my new-found obsession. :D
So we are watching this story, and they are showing video clips of past BM stuff. Then the Teddy Bear Wagon Train rolls into view, and she just looks at me and says "What the HELL is that"? Good Times, I say, Good Times.
Attachments
teddy-bear-train.jpg
teddy-bear-train.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Last edited by Claymore on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claymore

Burning Since: 2013

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Claymore wrote:So we are watching this story, and they are showing video clips of past BM stuff. Then the Teddy Bear Wagon rolls into view, and she just looks at me and says "What the HELL is that"? Good Times, I say, Good Times.

"Well Clearly, that Mama Bear is teaching those baby Bears how to ride a wagon... DUH!"
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby burner von braun » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:14 pm

Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby winebuff » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Can I have the top?
mgb327 wrote:And, the old flat-rate parking $50 fee is being raised, now according to how much "space" you occupy. Up, not out, folks. Stack those trailers.
winebuff

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:48 pm

winebuff wrote:Can I have the top? That will be extra....
mgb327 wrote:And, the old flat-rate parking $50 fee is being raised, now according to how much "space" you occupy. Up, not out, folks. Stack those trailers.
unjonharley

Postby winebuff » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:50 pm

I can SO relate. My husband would rather have colonoscopies every day for the next year then go to BM. He tolerates my talk and is even going with me to Reno for the BM Amtrak party in a couple weeks. Of course he wont be partying with us....Good man but his loss for BM :D

Claymore wrote:This morning, the local Southern California KTLA news station did a story on the supposed "outrage" over the new BM ticket pricing rolled out this year. The reporting seemed uninformed, and frankly, a little strange. Anyhoo, this will be my first journey to Burning Man, and I have been feverishly reading EPlaya and trying to educate myself. My beautiful wife, who has no interest in attending, appears to have gotten a little tired of my new-found obsession. :D
So we are watching this story, and they are showing video clips of past BM stuff. Then the Teddy Bear Wagon Train rolls into view, and she just looks at me and says "What the HELL is that"? Good Times, I say, Good Times.
winebuff

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:26 pm

waaaahhh!! tickets cost money, burning man makes money!! Why cannot everything be free. Give me a drink!! waaaahhh!!
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:56 pm

Savannah wrote:

Worse, collapsing on deep playa in a drunken stupor is now considered "parking", unless one's limbs (both upper and lower) are splayed less than 2.5 feet each (edge to edge).

Damn you, BMorg! I had such plans . . .

Yes! At least I have an advantage!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby bigbluedoggy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 pm

Frankly, as someone who has worked in the live event industry for over 30 years, I understand what it takes and costs to stage something like BM and the price is quite fair, considering the duration of the event. No whining here.
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:19 pm

bigbluedoggy wrote:Frankly, as someone who has worked in the live event industry for over 30 years, I understand what it takes and costs to stage something like BM and the price is quite fair, considering the duration of the event. No whining here.

Stop being levelheaded about this.. It's a conspiracy!!! :twisted:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby maladroit » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am

Burning Man used to be a thing that poor people did. Go out to the middle of the desert, where it's cheap, and rich Yellowstone-going folk would never camp. But these plucky poor folk took advantage of their situation, and with the right combination of attitude and skillful preparation, made it something so popular that the price even gives pause to people with jobs.

Burning Man: the ribs, chicken wings, lobster, oysters, fajitas, and caviar of events.

The above may contain severe logical inconsistencies.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 am

It's only ever been cheap for the people who don't really participate. Building and hauling art and supplies hundreds (or thousands) of miles into the desert has never really been a 'poor people' thing.

People have complained every single time there's been a price increase. I also suspect that every single time, people have proclaimed that this was crossing the line and that the event was spoiled forever, etc.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 am

Our regional used to be free. The first time tickets were required, it was $25. People cried and said they couldn't afford it. Now it is $90 (I'd have to go look to be sure) and no one gets in free, although there's a rebate for volunteers. We got too big to be poor.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby aserendipity » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 am

We were the cognati not the "poor people" !
aserendipity

Postby maladroit » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 am

Read the fine print...
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby aserendipity » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 am

Write the adjective appropriately please.
aserendipity

Postby Milayna » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:23 am

My boyfriend also has no interest in going to BM, and I am constantly impressed by how well he tolerates my nonstop planning, and my constant stories about the burn. It's become a joke in our relationship where I'll start telling a story, and he'll stop me and tell me to start it properly: "This one time, at Burning Man...."
Milayna

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:27 am

Milayna wrote:My boyfriend also has no interest in going to BM, and I am constantly impressed by how well he tolerates my nonstop planning, and my constant stories about the burn. It's become a joke in our relationship where I'll start telling a story, and he'll stop me and tell me to start it properly: "This one time, at Burning Man...."

That's nice, But where is the whine :?:
unjonharley

Postby Milayna » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 am

Haha you're right, I didn't make that very clear :oops: , the whine is that he has no interest in coming with me, ever! I just can't bitch too hard because he's nice about it. It was really mostly a reply to the above posters who's SO's do not burn, thread drift, I apologize :)
Milayna

Postby Mr. Just Right » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:51 pm

All I have to say is, I have no idea what color speedo I'm going to wear!!!
:lol: :lol:
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
Mr. Just Right

Burning Since: 2011

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:09 pm

kaicrown wrote:All I have to say is, I have no idea what color speedo I'm going to wear!!!

Is there no end to your whining+ :roll: :?:
unjonharley

Postby Mr. Just Right » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:34 pm

unjonharley wrote:
kaicrown wrote:All I have to say is, I have no idea what color speedo I'm going to wear!!!

Is there no end to your whining+ :roll: :?:

Only if I get some cheese with it.
Seems to be slim pickin's now with all the other whining.
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
Mr. Just Right

Burning Since: 2011

Postby JayBobBoy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:03 pm

It's cold....and I don't know what time it is!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby canexplain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:16 pm

Being a virgin I might not have the right to whine ....but......I go to most of the major fests. From start to finish Coachella will cost me about $2500 (both weekends thus 8 days), the Roo maybe $1500 for 4 days. BM is a bargain in my eyes (well maybe not a bargain at around $1500 but that is for 8 days). So my whine is the people that are whining about the price of a ticket. Life is not cheap or free. Tis sad but true. See you at ePlaya even though it is really just a frame of mind.......cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby unjonharley » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:18 pm

JayBobBoy wrote:It's cold....and I don't know what time it is!

You'll have to whine more than that to get another hunk of coal... Stay until the work is done. I am not paying any over time ether ..
unjonharley

Postby canexplain » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Could a vet or a mod give me the thread link to somewhat of a "Default" thread. I just like to ramble sometimes and not sure where to post it sometimes. cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 pm

canexplain wrote:Could a vet or a mod give me the thread link to somewhat of a "Default" thread. I just like to ramble sometimes and not sure where to post it sometimes. cr****

Ah! You might like the Open Discussion forum. Look for it on the main ePlaya page. It's toward the bottom. Or jump to it here:
viewforum.php?f=56

There is "The Bar" thread:
The Bar, Volume #4
current page:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=61602&start=3300

(Please note that, as an ongoing thread, that will not remain the most current page for long.) There are actually two current Bar threads. People go to the Bar to talk about what kind of day they're having, socialize, wish each other Happy Birthday, etc.

There is the Time for a Happy Thread thread. This is for glorying in good news.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=40280&start=1920

There's the Fuck! thread. That's for venting about real-life troubles (usually the biggest troubles) and commiserating. It is customary to begin one's post with profanity.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=972&start=15150

There's also the Dammit, Bill! thread. That's for minor troubles that feel out of place in the Fuck! thread.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=33298&start=360

Anyway--that'll get you started. There's lots to look at under Open Discussion. :)

If you're ever wondering where to post something, please feel free to PM me or one of the other mods. We also sometimes move new threads into the right forums if they're in a less than optimal spot.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm

Savannah wrote:
canexplain wrote:Could a vet or a mod give me the thread link to somewhat of a "Default" thread. I just like to ramble sometimes and not sure where to post it sometimes. cr****

Ah! You might like the Open Discussion forum. Look for it on the main ePlaya page. It's toward the bottom. Or jump to it here:
viewforum.php?f=56

There is "The Bar" thread:
The Bar, Volume #4
current page:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=61602&start=3300

(Please note that, as an ongoing thread, that will not remain the most current page for long.) There are actually two current Bar threads. People go to the Bar to talk about what kind of day they're having, socialize, wish each other Happy Birthday, etc.

There is the Time for a Happy Thread thread. This is for glorying in good news.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=40280&start=1920

There's the Fuck! thread. That's for venting about real-life troubles (usually the biggest troubles) and commiserating. It is customary to begin one's post with profanity.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=972&start=15150

There's also the Dammit, Bill! thread. That's for minor troubles that feel out of place in the Fuck! thread.
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=33298&start=360

Anyway--that'll get you started. There's lots to look at under Open Discussion. :)

If you're ever wondering where to post something, please feel free to PM me or one of the other mods. We also sometimes move new threads into the right forums if they're in a less than optimal spot.

I detect no whining in any part of this post?

FAIL
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:53 pm

illy dilly wrote:I detect no whining in any part of this post?

FAIL

You are SO fucking meeean. :cry:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 pm

Savannah wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I detect no whining in any part of this post?

FAIL

You are SO fucking meeean. :cry:

Now thats more like it!

I just can't stand when people don't whine in the whining thread! It isn't fair!
illy dilly

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion