Whining Rights

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Whining Rights

Postby unjonharley » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:48 am

Who is claiming the most whining right over this years ticket price.

Tis the season to put your money up to go home once again..

I have a card cleared and most of the money in the pocket for TTITD..

I had already figured $400 bucks for the price..

I am not on a "fixed" income it's "broken" ( my whine )

NEXT
unjonharley

Re: Whining Rights

Postby graidawg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 pm

i promised not whine this year. i think i used this years whining privilege up last year. To be honest i have no real whines anyway. things are looking hopeful (for the time of year)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 pm

graidawg wrote:i promised not whine this year. i think i used this years whining privilege up last year. To be honest i have no real whines anyway. things are looking hopeful (for the time of year)

Way to drift a thread, Graidawg. :mrgreen:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I used my winning rights up last year when I won Burning Man. Going for a repeat this year.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby mgb327 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 pm

I gots nuffin. No probs. Now, my friends are whining because I still incessantly steer all conversations back to BM related stuff.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby graidawg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:28 pm

Savannah wrote:
graidawg wrote:i promised not whine this year. i think i used this years whining privilege up last year. To be honest i have no real whines anyway. things are looking hopeful (for the time of year)

are you physic SAVannnah?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm

graidawg wrote: are you physic SAVannnah?

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be psychic or physical. I'll take the latter.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby graidawg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be psychic or physical. I'll take the latter.

the former - but spell check told it wasn't a word and i wasn't sure of the spelling so i trusted it. never again.
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby ygmir » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:45 pm

graidawg wrote:
Savannah wrote:

are you physic SAVannnah?

GD: is Sav, your Aunt? if not, ask her to play the piano without music.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:38 pm

I think it's are you a physic SAVannnah?
Though I'm a little confused as to why you're asking her if she's medicine. Is that some sort of code?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby danibel » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 pm

Shit. I don't know if this really counts as whining. But I am going to post here because I have been going back and forth in my head about the whole ticket price thing.

2013 will be my 5th year (notice I use 'will be'), and I have felt since my first burn that I wanted to go every year. My third year I invested in a cargo van (not a small investment) that is mostly used for the burn. It is super great to camp in, but I may only use it like that twice a year. I justified this purchase after cleaning two rental vans spic and span, and I never ever want to do that again. Now it's true it was COMPLETELY my decision to spend $3000 on it, but if it lasted 10 burns, it was worth every penny in rental fees and not ever having to sleep in a tent (which I am sorry, I just won't do). So already you can see I am a bit of a prima donna when it comes to burning. ;) Anyway. The last two years I haven't even paid for own ticket, my sweet boyfriend has bought them, so really I can't bitch about that. He does however benefit from said van to haul all his stuff and of course he sleeps comfy and cozy with me on the platform bed we built last summer. So having had two gift tickets (which BTW were lowest tier, because that is all he could afford when buying two), now looking at a $400 bill for my fun party at the end of summer is a bit shitty. We used to say (I thought we did at least) that the ticket was the least of the expenses. Ha. Not so anymore for me. There is no way I am spending $400 on alcohol, or food, let's just say. (don't mention clothes. SHUSH.).

On one hand I think this price jump for half of the participants will definitely damper demand. And if that was the goal, well, right on! On the other hand, if demand is not dampered, the playa is going to filled with a bunch of feathered sparkle ponies looking for the best dance hot spot, dropping cigg butts and glow sticks all over the damn place.

I think it's very telling that org decided to compare the event to the big commercial events and tout that it's eight days and no sponsors, blah blah. That tells me they KNOW the price is high for long time burners (the ones that are on the spot for the first tiers), and they are trying to legitimize the jump. Just the $380 times the 50,000 tickets (not counting presale or low income) is a kewl 19 mill. And as much as *they* want us to believe the non-comercial line, WE the ticket buyers are the corporate sponsors. We sponsor the damn event. Our blood, sweat, and work. Yeah, participants get portos, center camp, can buy coffee and ice, and oh and there is that really neato firework show and man burn... but Wow. That is a lot of dollars going into someone's pocket. I know, I know. The money goes to the BLM, and the United Shitter Service, and infrastructure, and, and, and. I also know that I can take my $400 and my cargo van and do something else that week.

I just can't get over the fact that the org raised (and that is no SMALL raise - $240 to $380) the price on half of the creators of event to just get in the door, and there is such a relatively low buzz about it. I guess the real test will be to see if/when it sells out this year. One thing is for sure - there will be few if any ticket hoarders. LOL
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I think it's are you a physic SAVannnah?
Though I'm a little confused as to why you're asking her if she's medicine. Is that some sort of code?

I am a controlled substance.

Savannah

Postby skyhawkecks » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 am

Wait why are people bitching about ticket prices? $380 is $10 less than what I paid last year. That's ten extra dollars I get to spend on drugs, booze, and hookers.
skyhawkecks

Postby BBadger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:24 am

skyhawkecks wrote:Wait why are people bitching about ticket prices? $380 is $10 less than what I paid last year. That's ten extra dollars I get to spend on drugs, booze, and hookers.

Well it's more because it's about $60 more than the average price last year ($326). My friends and I lucked out last year: I got two at $320, my friend got two at $240, so that covered us four. That meant extra dollars to spend on drugs, booze, and hookers.

Oh well, what are you going to do? I'm not convinced my luck would hold up three times in a row anyway if they had tiers again.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:26 am

I had a moment of panic about the preregistraion dates, but I'll be home half a day before it closes. I don't believe for a moment there's reliable wifi outside my home, or that I can use my phone instead of my laptop to access the registration page. Means I'll need to travel with my reading glasses. The horror.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mgb327 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:08 am

I am a controlled substance.[/quote]

Best sig-worthy statement I have heard in a long time. Thanks, SAV.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
mgb327

Postby Patsh » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:18 am

graidawg wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:

the former - but spell check told it wasn't a word and i wasn't sure of the spelling so i trusted it. never again.

spellcheck.jpg
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:11 am

Even if there were no tiers last year and everything was sold at the average price, this year's price represents less than a 20% increase. Sure, we always want deals and low prices and savings and everything, but the price increase doesn't strike me as an outrage. Hell, I've had years when the cost of fuel (same quantity, same quality/grade, etc) went up by more than that. It's possible that a ticket price increase of less than 20% will dampen interest by more than the natural rate of growth, but probably not.

Perhaps the reason that danibel and some other newer burners (newer than me) are worked up is because for the first time since Burning Man had sold tickets to the event, there wasn't an increase from 2009-2011. A lot of 2nd/3rd year burners were upset about last year's increase, and to them 2 years with an increase represents some kind of shock and outrage, and how dare they (the people who own and operate the event) do this to the event the newer burner.

Of course, it's also a question of perspective. To someone who comes and rocks a few outfits and does the glamping (camping in style) thing and not much else, the ticket price increase is monumental. But to the "creators of the event" (as danibel put it), that's kind of a drop in the bucket. Don't get me wrong, the money means a lot. My girlfriend and I aren't rich, and it will mean belt tightening and juggling things around and scrambling on side projects to try and earn what we need for both increased ticket prices and for more ambitious plans for art/camp. But we're both okay with this year's pricing.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:14 am

You people have the wrong perspective. I've said it before and I'll say it again: You're not paying $380 for a party; rather, you're paying $1 for 380 parties. Seems like a pretty good deal if you ask me.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

Well said, Doc.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby 9ah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

How the heck am I going to make it to 54 parties a day... wtf Doc... Now I've got something to whine about, figuring out how to make all those parties on top of everything else.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby winebuff » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 am

Agree! This will be my 2nd burn and I will pay whatever it is to experience the best group of people in the world. If people dont like the price, they dont have to cum :D

trilobyte wrote:Even if there were no tiers last year and everything was sold at the average price, this year's price represents less than a 20% increase. Sure, we always want deals and low prices and savings and everything, but the price increase doesn't strike me as an outrage. Hell, I've had years when the cost of fuel (same quantity, same quality/grade, etc) went up by more than that. It's possible that a ticket price increase of less than 20% will dampen interest by more than the natural rate of growth, but probably not.

Perhaps the reason that danibel and some other newer burners (newer than me) are worked up is because for the first time since Burning Man had sold tickets to the event, there wasn't an increase from 2009-2011. A lot of 2nd/3rd year burners were upset about last year's increase, and to them 2 years with an increase represents some kind of shock and outrage, and how dare they (the people who own and operate the event) do this to the event the newer burner.

Of course, it's also a question of perspective. To someone who comes and rocks a few outfits and does the glamping (camping in style) thing and not much else, the ticket price increase is monumental. But to the "creators of the event" (as danibel put it), that's kind of a drop in the bucket. Don't get me wrong, the money means a lot. My girlfriend and I aren't rich, and it will mean belt tightening and juggling things around and scrambling on side projects to try and earn what we need for both increased ticket prices and for more ambitious plans for art/camp. But we're both okay with this year's pricing.
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby uncle sticky » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:16 am

I heard that the food vendors were also increasing prices this year, and the beer is already a total ripoff.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:27 pm

And premium seating for the burn is making a 47% increase!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm

you aren't going to put me off you know, I am still going to come.
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 pm

The Harvey Huts are $1 to piss and two to shit...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:01 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:The Harvey Huts are $1 to piss and two to shit...

Here I sit all broken heart ed..

Payed a buck to shit and only farted..
unjonharley

Postby mgb327 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:58 pm

And, the old flat-rate parking $50 fee is being raised, now according to how much "space" you occupy. Up, not out, folks. Stack those trailers.
mgb327

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:02 pm

mgb327 wrote:And, the old flat-rate parking $50 fee is being raised, now according to how much "space" you occupy. Up, not out, folks. Stack those trailers.

Worse, collapsing on deep playa in a drunken stupor is now considered "parking", unless one's limbs (both upper and lower) are splayed less than 2.5 feet each (edge to edge).

Damn you, BMorg! I had such plans . . .

Savannah

Postby mgb327 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:10 pm

And don't even get me started on the big jump in taxi fares. Shit, $14.75 from 3:30 & J to the Man? C'mon.
mgb327

Next

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion