Virgin Wisconsin burner (possible mushroom idea)

Virgin Wisconsin burner (possible mushroom idea)

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:21 pm

Hey.
My name is Josh, from Wisconsin...aka shLong @ The Shroomery if you post there, too.
Gonna be making my 1st trip out this year to kick my 30s in to high gear right off the bat.
I'm planning on bringing a buddy of mine with me. I went ahead and spoke to a regional fella from Milwaukee earlier today via email. Wow, what a kind and genuine guy! Made me feel great by just replying to me. If time allows I may make the 90 minute drive to Milwaukee to meet some folks before the big event. They're part of the "Snowflake Village". I think it'd be awesome if I were able to start with veterans around (helpful and kind ones at that!)

I'm not so sure about what I am able to offer BM. My artistic side never developed, so I may just need to offer time and hands to whomever may need my help. A few hours each day or so...?

I grow mushrooms as a hobby. I was thinking of trying to figure out a way to set something up where I could teach people the craft (as much as possible at least...mushrooms and desert don't mesh well). Id really like to bring living specimens out, during their growth, but I don't think id be able to keep their humidity where I need it to be, nor have the room to transport the size of tub required to keep them healthy.

Anyhow, I still have a ton of questions, but with all the reading I do, I suspect most will be answered, and the ones that can't be, I'm sure I'll experience.

(P.s. my real life nickname is shLong, a play on the spelling of my real name, since it seems everyone has an alter-ego name on The Playa, would most be put off if I introduced myself as shLong, or no?)

I look forward to our time together. Thanks for reading
Much love
-Josh
-shLong
-Mushroom
shLong

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Spank The Monkey Bar

Re: Virgin Wisconsin burner (possible mushroom idea)

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Hola and hello...

introducing yourself as shLong would be fabulous and very funny, go for it.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Hello to you, too!!

Settled then!

Screw it, eh? If I can't introduce myself as such at BM, where can I? LoL

People have been calling me that since 1995 or so, so most explanations have been dealt with for over a decade.
I just don't want people thinking I am crass or something.
shLong

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi Josh! Welcome to the board. :D

Mushroom216 wrote:Hello to you, too!!

Settled then!

Screw it, eh? If I can't introduce myself as such at BM, where can I? LoL

People have been calling me that since 1995 or so, so most explanations have been dealt with for over a decade.
I just don't want people thinking I am crass or something.

There are day-glo mutant vehicles shooting fire from penis-shaped cannons out there on the playa. Introducing yourself as "shLong" is no biggie. People will either 1) accept it without thought 2) laugh, or 3) nod sagely, & ask if you're born of the Westhampton shLongs or the Cambridge shLongs.

If you transport mushroom specimens and teach a workshop (neat idea) make sure it's obvious that your specimens are legal. (Nevada has strong drug laws.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Awesome reply.
Thank you so much.

Yeah, they'd be gourmet Oyster mushrooms...but the skills and teks are universal :-)

And lol, I'm from the Chippewa Falls shLongs, rofl (Titanic movie reference)
shLong

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Ah, the Chippewa Falls shLongs! :lol: One of the very oldest, most dignified families in Beaver County.

Savannah

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:53 pm

AND DON'T YOU FORGET IT!!!
shLong

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 pm

So what kind of mushrooms?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm sorry to double post, but can someone steer me to the option that "watches" all my posts for me so I can just click "Watched Topics" and it'll show me myy threads.

Thanks

And while I have you here, what is the general consensous about drug use on the playa?
Believe me when I say that I know its MUCH MUCH more than a drug party, but I am curious how the majority view casual drug use. Cannabis and psychedelics and such.
(I'm really sorry to ask, but I have wondered...and mod, feel free to delete this if its an inappropriate question)

Ugly, I was thinking Oyster Mushrooms. A high quality edible.
shLong

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:02 pm

I ask about the mushrooms because I really do want to contribute to the awesomeness, but my artistic abilities are severly stunted.

Edit........ since it seems to be okay here, is there a way to change my username to shLong?
shLong

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Mushroom216 wrote:I'm sorry to double post, but can someone steer me to the option that "watches" all my posts for me so I can just click "Watched Topics" and it'll show me myy threads.

Thanks

And while I have you here, what is the general consensous about drug use on the playa?
Believe me when I say that I know its MUCH MUCH more than a drug party, but I am curious how the majority view casual drug use. Cannabis and psychedelics and such.
(I'm really sorry to ask, but I have wondered...and mod, feel free to delete this if its an inappropriate question)

Ugly, I was thinking Oyster Mushrooms. A high quality edible.

Here are some starting points:

Legally, you can get in a significant amount of trouble for drugs. Nevada has the aforementioned strict drug laws. Medical Marijuana is not recognized in NV. If you are caught by police with a very small amount of illegal drugs, you're most likely to be cited and fined. Arrests and transport to Reno are slightly less common, but do occur. And if Law Enforcement thinks you're selling, you're in a heap of trouble. Read up here:

http://survival.burningman.com/rules-re ... nforcement
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ement.html

Read those a few times, it's good to have your rights memorized.

Socially, people are fairly relaxed about such things, but there is the expectation that you do not do illegal things in public, or semi-public shared areas, such as shade structures. That's a good way to get a whole camp searched. So keep your business to yourself, just as you would in a normal city. There are also plenty of people who remain sober, and others who just have a drink or three. (Hopefully not on the way into the event, because you can't drink until you've parked for good.) On the upside, once you've hit camp you can walk around naked with an open container. :lol:

Don't buy/sell/give/receive/trade substances with strangers or new friends (even naked, pretty ones).

Mushroom216 wrote:I ask about the mushrooms because I really do want to contribute to the awesomeness, but my artistic abilities are severly stunted.

There are many ways to gift. You have time to consider your options.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25128

Edit........ since it seems to be okay here, is there a way to change my username to shLong?

Yes. Please send a PM to Trilobyte. He can change your name.

Savannah

Postby Mojojita » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

It may be a good idea to do a bit of research because plants are not allowed to be brought in to Burning Man. I am unclear if this includes mushrooms. It is possible they could be ok as the rule exists to keep plant material from drying, dying and becoming moop.

Also, Nevada DOES have a law recognizing medical marijuana use. However, it does not recognize patients with documentation from other states and the medical condition criteria for obtaining a medical registration card in Nevada are more limited. Regardless, the playa is on federal land and marijuana is still a federal crime, despite the state laws.

The info previously given is pretty spot-on. In particular, never let anyone spark up in a public or semi-public part of your camp unless you are ready for some very unwelcome attention by people watching for exactly that with long range night vision equipment.
Last edited by Mojojita on Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ut ballista es interdico, tantum interdico mos fui ballista.
Mojojita

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

Good tips.
I really appreciate your help this evening, Savannah.
shLong

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

Good idea, Mojojita.

I think the primary concern is with "anything that may break up and/or blow away in the wind, living or dead (trees, twigs, loose paper, palm fronds, etc.)"

I think mushrooms grown in a climate-controlled case/tub would probably be less of a concern, but I would write to Burning Man anyway.

Any comments about Burning Man’s live plant ban can be addressed to questions (at) burningman (dot) com

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... OtdKrar9T4

Mushroom216 wrote:Good tips.
I really appreciate your help this evening, Savannah.

You're welcome. :)

Savannah

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:56 pm

Mojojita wrote:It may be a good idea to do a bit of research because plants are not allowed to be brought in to Burning Man. I am unclear if this includes mushrooms. It is possible they could be ok as the rule exists to keep plant material from drying, dying and becoming moop.

Also, Nevada DOES have a law recognizing medical marijuana use. However, it does not recognize patients with documentation from other states and the medical condition criteria for obtaining a medical registration card in Nevada are more limited. Regardless, the playa is on federal land and marijuana is still a federal crime, despite the state laws.

The info previously given is pretty spot-on. In particular, never let anyone spark up in a public or semi-public part of your camp unless you are ready for some very unwelcome attention by people watching for exactly that with long range night vision equipment.

Also some very helpful advice.
Ill ask the higher ups about it via email...and ill also run it by my new regional friend to see if that's something he'd want in camp.

Thanks
shLong

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Mushroom216 wrote:And while I have you here, what is the general consensous about drug use on the playa?

We don't talk about drugs here. (Not that I am a narc or nothing...)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Mushroom216 wrote:And while I have you here, what is the general consensous about drug use on the playa?

We don't talk about drugs here. (Not that I am a narc or nothing...)

We just did :evil:
shLong

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:01 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:15 pm

jkisha wrote:Hey there, welcome to eplaya!

Thanks, friend!
shLong

Postby trilobyte » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Welcome to ePlaya!

For what it's worth, I think you may be taking the wrong approach. Attempting to bring out and grow mushrooms live on the playa would not only be a logistical nightmare and run afoul of the whole no live plants thing, but even if you're sticking to foodstuffs like oyster mushrooms you'll quickly become known as the guy growing mushrooms at his camp. I suspect you'd spend an unfortunate amount of your time at the burn dealing with uniformed and undercover law enforcement on the prowl thinking it was a less legal substance. I wouldn't wish that kind of hassle on ANYBODY.

What you may want to consider as an alternative… bring out a bunch of edible mushrooms and make/share mushrooms and mushroom dishes. If you're thinking about full on food service to the public you'll need a health permit (not terribly hard to do), but you could also just go a little heavy on the supplies so you have enough to share with campmates and the friends you meet. You can dive into other food-related preparation topics over on the Food & Drink board

Good luck.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Sadly, that's a very valid point.

I think I'll brainstorm other ideas as to how I can do my part.

Thank you all so much
shLong

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:17 pm

Just keep your shit on the down low and don't be stupid...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Absolutely.
I won't be the one to get my camp looked at.
shLong

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I just want to point out that, technically speaking, as biologists would say, mushrooms are not plants... They have their very own kingdom. Well, fungi in general do. The Kingdom of the Mushrooms sounds quite grand, doesn't it?
Which doesn't mean I want to spend my time explaining that to the LLC or multiple LEOs, however,

... I had to be pedantic.

*goes to corner*
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Totally agree, being a myco nerd and all :)

But like the poster said above, I don't want to be the guy known for having "shrooms" (even if legal) out in the open, bringing unwanted attention to my fellow campers.

Since my desired skills in terms of BM are somewhat limited, I wanted to try and bring something new and unique to the table...but not at the cost of my new friends and neighbors.
I, myself, wouldn't mind being known for that, since I don't plan on breaking the laws, but yeah, I don't wanna start my welcome off on the wrong foot.

I suppose if I think hard enough I can find my niche....otherwise I can just donate my time and muscle (or ears/advice) to my peers instead of arts and such.

I just want to be a good burner and have fun :-)

(And thanks again trilo for the name change)
shLong

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:01 pm

I have a co-worker who makes mushroom cookies.

Of course, that's still the sort of thing that will draw in LEO.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby 9ah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:35 pm

True fishy!

And seeing as though you made mention of playa 'drug use' in this thread you most def don't want to draw attention to yourself if you have any desire to use anything that may be illegal in NV. I'm assuming you haven't read the ticketing thread since you posed that question... Virgins do it every year and wonder if the ticketing for illegal drugs was fair...
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby canexplain » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Not knowing any ins and outs of BM, I like your idea of helping. It sounds pedestrian but couldn't you do some sort of AV presentation. I know it's not like hands on, but just an idea. I am a Co resident (all legal) so I hydro and it would be interesting to see if I could do both. Just thinking out load ...cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 pm

Pssst, guys... The "five kingdoms" organizational view of life is actually fairly long outdated, though it is still sometimes taught in classrooms. Biologists now use three domains: Eukaryotes (including Fungi and pretty much anything else multicellular that comes to mind), Bacteria, and Archaea (extremophiles, like those single-celled organisms living in hot springs, mine tailing ponds, etc.). Within Eukaryotes, Fungi are of course separate from Plantae (not a term often used any more), just as Fishy says. You can read a lot more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_%28biology%29 but the basic idea is that the "Five Kingdoms" structure grouped together a lot of organisms under "Prokarya" that actually aren't closely related at all.

As to the original idea, I don't actually think that it would be too difficult to bring some live oyster mushrooms or shiitake to the playa as a demonstration, provided they were nearly ready to harvest. Just bring the log or other growing medium in a sealable plastic box to show people how the 'shrooms are grown and keep said demo box out of the wind when not in use. I expect you'd have to eat or dry the 'shrooms pretty quickly because of the heat, but I think they'd last a few days if kept in the shade.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby shLong » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 pm

9ah wrote:True fishy!

And seeing as though you made mention of playa 'drug use' in this thread you most def don't want to draw attention to yourself if you have any desire to use anything that may be illegal in NV. I'm assuming you haven't read the ticketing thread since you posed that question... Virgins do it every year and wonder if the ticketing for illegal drugs was fair...

I was more curious about how folks act and the general theme of drug use rather than how I may be able to get away with use. I imagine the event itself is a drug in and of itself. :-)
I'm coming to be me and break my chains, not get wrecked like I can do the other 357 days of the year. Ill probably bring a few bottles of liquor so I can be part of a playa tavern and throw in my share to others festivites.
Not to mention, id have a loooooong drive with illegals on me and that's not a risk I would be willing to take.
shLong

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself!