flame throwers and propane canon

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

flame throwers and propane canon

Postby BeFunky » Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:49 pm

Does anybody know where I can obtain information of making/ purchasing flame throwers and propane torch type things. They seem to be all over the playa, yet I'm having trouble finding information. I've been using a gardening tool, attached to a propane tank, but it doesnt have the co2 tank attached or whatever it is, so it is only able to create a continuous flame as opposed to bursts of flame. Anybody know?
BeFunky

Postby stimpysmurf » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:41 pm

The thing you're thinking of is the expansion tank. Basically, the propane will only evaporate from your tank and flow through your lines at a given rate. You can't really speed that up much, short of heating the tank to increase pressure.

So, to make big fireballs, you let the propane vaporize into a secondary expansion chamber (people often use another propane tank for this purpose since they're conveniently available and can withstand the 150+ psi). Then, you can let the fuel out of the expansion chamber all at once for a big impressive burst of flame. Make sure you use high-pressure (liquid service) hose, since you'll have full tank pressure all the way up to the valve that lets the gas out of your expansion tank.

If you don't want to build one, the bonefire folks (bonefire.com) will sell you one.

Oh, and be careful. :)
stimpysmurf

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities