COVER OR NOT TO COVER VEHICLE ?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

COVER OR NOT TO COVER VEHICLE ?

Postby winebuff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:07 am

I searched here but couldnt find a thread. Is it smarter to cover your vehicle with a car cover or leave it uncovered during the week? Let the snarking begin :D
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Re: COVER OR NOT TO COVER VEHICLE ?

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:13 am

Seems to me as if you would be doing more of a disservice to your cars paint finish by covering than not covering. No matter what, you aren't going to avoid the dust. By covering it, all you're doing is trapping more dust.. and then flapping a car cover in the wind with dust between the cover and the car.. and micro sanding your clear coat.

Better to let it just blow off in the wind and wash later with soap and water.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:39 am

Ditto on junglesmacks
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby geospyder » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 am

Ditto on Lucky420
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:28 pm

What about a couple of tarps? The outside flaps against the inside.
?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:41 pm

It has been discussed (although not that I remember in a separate thread) and the consensus is that covers cause more damage than just letting it be.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:21 pm

The only solution I've seen recommended is making a Monkey Hut (or other shade structure) large enough to park your vehicle under. I've only seen it used if someone is actually sleeping in said vehicle (like a van, pickup truck with camper shell, or station wagon).

If you're just worried about your car getting dirty... let it get dirty. Junglesmacks is right - anything in contact with the vehicle will turn into a micro-abrasive with the dust.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby graidawg » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:44 pm

so if your car needs a paint job bring it to bm and cover it for a perfect prep before spraying?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Just before you turn off the pavement, make sure the vents are closed (so your fan/aircon isn't sucking in playa). Keep your windows closed. Once you get to your camp site, unload (not during a dust storm, of course) and then close the vehicle up tight. From there, make sure not to open it up again until you're packing to leave. The vehicles that get the most playafied are the ones that people either camp in (my gf and I camp in our cargo van, I know of which I speak) and the ones people pop in and out of throughout the week.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Rice » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:13 pm

The playa dust will not damage the paint on your vehicle. Sure, as others have said, it will get in/on/around everything... Having said that, it is pretty easy to get the outside washed. Used a water & vinegar mix to wipe down the inside dash & such, vaccume and it should be fine.

To reduce dust inside the vehicle - maybe taping over all of the vents with Painter's tape might help. ?? (I kinda like the blast of playa dust when I turn on my AC ;) )

A fabric cover for your vehicle might be better than tarp(s), but it also will vibrate with the wind. If you had a fabric cover and a giant Zip-lock (like) bag to park in - yes, that would work. But you need to keep the playa dust out... [sounds easier & cheaper to just wash your car]
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby unjonharley » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Be careful if you put a shade structure up to park your car in.. The wind will walk the up rights against the vehicle and rub the paint..Stake next to the uprights alog with guy lines.
unjonharley

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 pm

The flapping of any cover is the greater of evils, you can't drive with the cover on - outbound, camp to 34/447, is almost always dusty. I'm with Stretch. I use 2" blue masking tape around doors, vents or to hold down reflective mylar space blankets on the windows. There are many car/dust threads dealing with the interior, mechanicals, windows and cleaning post the event. Every car wash I have been to will allow you to run through as many times as needed for one price, and sometimes the Gerlach fire department has a car wash to support the schools which I enjoy taking advantage of if the your roof rack isn't full. It's an opportunity to engage people in the local community one on one in conversation to tell them we come in peace.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:39 pm

If this vehicle is your baby, leave it at home and bring a rental...but otherwise heed the advice here.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby 9ah » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:38 am

I agree with closing and painters taping the vents shut. It will be hot in the car if you arrive during the day, but the aircon pulls in a ton of dust.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:20 am

Okay, well, that's all very good advice and I fully intended to follow it last year when I brought my one and only car, a lovely lil Scion Xb, to the playa.

We arrived in high winds and heavy dust and just said, fuck it. Turned off the AC and opened the windows. I had carefully arranged cloth covers over the seats and headrests but most of them came off on the way in. We used the car for storage and were in and out of it several times a day over the 12 days we were on playa, then packed up and left in white-out conditions. Needless to say the car was loaded with dust when we left. Garden-sprayer with vinegar water cleared the windows.

We drove 3000 miles home with the windows opened frequently. Vacuumed after unloading, dusted with a dry cloth, cleaned with Armor All wipes, and now I have no trace of dust in my car. :( No sweet puff of dust when I turn on the AC. :( Nothing!!! No way to tell which parts of the upholstery had stayed covered, even. :? We did have to wash the outside of the car several times before the cracks were clear of dust.

My $0.02 from this: turn off your AC when you leave the highway, that's all you need to do.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby aserendipity » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:12 am

MDF ,yes of course . and it was great to read you saying it.
xoA.
aserendipity

Postby trilobyte » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:56 am

It helps if you've got a 3K mile high speed open-window drive to help you blow all that stuff out. Your mileage may vary :D
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby unjonharley » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 am

I missed three years of getting to the playa.. The dash on the van is still covered with dust.. Only problem is window edges.. The dust and rain mix and mold.. So I detail the outside..
unjonharley

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:14 pm

If you run the AC with vents closed (RECIRC), then it shouldn't be sucking in dust.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Rice » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:If you run the AC with vents closed (RECIRC), then it shouldn't be sucking in dust.

Unless you are like me, and have all of the windows open during a dust storm.... Then it doesn't really matter ;)

My vehicle has not been on-playa for 3 years, every time I change from heat to A/C I still get that wonderful puff of playa dust...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby moonrise » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Yep, press "recirculation" if you're a wuss and need A/C.

My Chevy Tahoe cleans up nicely with an auto car wash (most allow a few passes) then, after un-loading the fuckton of gear, me and The Kid vigorously attack it with a high powered, plug in type leaf blower, inside and out! I am amazed at what blows out from the interior, some good finds actually, haha!
After that we use a stack of towels with all manner of cleaning agents and at the end of the day it looks like new.

I'd use the Gerlach car wash but my timing sucks. It's a goooood idea to wash the exterior asap, in my opinion, because a playa dusted car is a cop magnet, so it seems these days. Life is unfair, but it's even more unfair when you get a ticket for a minor infraction just because you're transpo is playa dusted, erg!

Eric nailed it. I've seen over a dozen vehicles under shade shelters, maybe more than a dozen at some camps.
Car covers proper, I've rarely if ever seen in use.

YMMV ;)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby winebuff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:54 am

Great advice everyone. You guys rock!
winebuff

Postby westnileraven » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Ok, against popular wisdom I have used a car cover for the last 3 years. It has elastic around the bottom and I used plastic tarp grommets to zig zag a rope underneath. Maybe it's just the contrast after a week in the dust, but it was clean and shiny. Even the dust I acquired driving in was gone when I removed it. No sandblasting noted, wax before you go to burningman. But when people laugh at me I tell them I do it for the UV. The cover is tyvek, and its fucking cool in the car if you pop that seal in the daytime. I like my black leather seats and the vast expanse of black dashboard (newbeetle, TDI, 2006, peace).
I confess, this past year I did not remove the roof rack, which severely compromised the elastic "seal" abound the underside of the car, I left it uncovered for two days (I was mad it for blowing a hose by colfax), aaaaaaaaaaaaand I cut a tiny slit in it to anchor my shade to said roof rack. Yeah it was beat lookin, especially around the back lowers where the cover was not.

I should also note that last year was the only year with any real wind or dust, of my three.

Worth it. The trapped and scouring theory did not hold up, given a well-fitted, tyvek cover, and you leave it shut. My counter theory is that protection from windborn dust (and UV) is plenty good, and any dust you did manage to trap inside the cover falls down if the cover is being whipped against the car and had less velocity than the dust outside anyway.
I think a tarp would suck, because the wind would drive dust innit somehow. And a carport takes care of maybe 70% of the UV.
my 0.02
westnileraven

Postby winebuff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:47 pm

Thx West! Love to see what people do and the different realm of ideas we all come up with.
winebuff

Postby Snow » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 am

I cover my vehicle inside and out with a coating of playa dust every year.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Playa Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:06 pm

For people sleeping in said vehicle I would recommend a material called R+Heatshield. Its cheap (roughly $0.25 a square foot). And it reflects 97% of the suns heat and its 100% light proof.

For people not sleeping in said vehicle I would just leave the car be. Or if you are really concerned about the car you can always setup a carport. These are relatively cheap as well.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089V005108842000P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-24034219-2
Playa Hater

Postby Theraplst » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Playa Hater wrote:For people sleeping in said vehicle I would recommend a material called R+Heatshield. Its cheap (roughly $0.25 a square foot). And it reflects 97% of the suns heat and its 100% light proof.

For people not sleeping in said vehicle I would just leave the car be. Or if you are really concerned about the car you can always setup a carport. These are relatively cheap as well.
http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089V005108842000P?sid=KDx01192011x000001&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=35-24034219-2

But will it hold up in a storm? I brought a monkey hut last year that I made with about $100 in materials (tarps are damned expensive). That thing wasn't big enough for my car, but a smaller car could fit easily at 6 ft tall.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby Playa Hater » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:49 pm

It'll hold up as long as you properly anchor it.
Playa Hater

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:16 am

If you have any virgins in the car, it will be full of dust after you pass through Greeters.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby winebuff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 am

ha ha, so true! Or make them walk the whole way to camp :D

maladroit wrote:If you have any virgins in the car, it will be full of dust after you pass through Greeters.
winebuff

Return to Shelter & Camping