All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Guns, Love Em or Leave Em

Postby goathead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby goathead » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:36 pm

FN FAL

Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am

I adore my L1A1. Accurate AND sexy.
I took an anti-gunner out shooting and it was her favorite...
3 days later she bought one!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

[media]

Interesting. Happy New Year everybody!
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:33 pm

[media]

f'in crazy Russian.
"We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believe is false."- William Casey, CIA Director 1981
cowboyangel

Postby Box Burner » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:21 pm

Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby cowboyangel » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm

cowboyangel

Postby cowboyangel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:50 am

cowboyangel

Postby ygmir » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:44 pm

gun control........gun control....... bans, "buy backs"......."turn in for fair tickets"..........
over and over, and it does not work.

what is that saying, about trying the same things over and over and expecting a different result?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sail Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Apparently Walmart will no longer buy ammo. Once what is in the stores is gone, that is it. Noted that on several other blogs I visit.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:21 am

I remember, in California, after the "Assault Weapon" ban was announced....Sales of "AW's" skyrocketed. Guess nows the time to buy that Saiga 12.

Anyone know how one establishes "residency" in Iowa?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

TomServo wrote:I remember, in California, after the "Assault Weapon" ban was announced....Sales of "AW's" skyrocketed. Guess nows the time to buy that Saiga 12.

Anyone know how one establishes "residency" in Iowa?

marry your sister?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 am

She lives in California though!! :(

TomServo

Postby ygmir » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:37 am

Gotta be a native there somewhere.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:42 am

Maybe...mostly immigrants here. My works been raided twice in about 10 years.

TomServo

Postby BBadger » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:56 am

ygmir wrote:gun control........gun control....... bans, "buy backs"......."turn in for fair tickets"..........
over and over, and it does not work.

what is that saying, about trying the same things over and over and expecting a different result?

But when are they going to have the guns-for-Burning Man tickets program?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sunbeam56 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 pm

Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Postby Sunbeam56 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:31 pm

I think you can be a Liberal and still be anti-gun control. Isn't the basic tenet of Liberalism, respect for the rights of others?
Isn't the right to own and bear arms our right?
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Postby Foxfur » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 am

I'm an ardent supporter of gun rights and the freedom of gun owners to choose whatever legal weapon they prefer. I am against the "assault weapon" ban and high-cap magazine limit.
That said, I am also a supporter of most, if not all, of the executive orders that President Obama signed. He did not use them to make law. He used them in a manner appropriate with provisions for them in the Constitution.
I feel that the executive orders make sense and are the kind of "common sense gun control" that most gun owners have desired to see for a long time.
They are policy directives that have been sorely needed. They are focused on studying, controlling, and preventing violence without restricting law abiding gun owner's rights.

I am interested to see how they work.

I support gun laws that effectively address problems without interfering with law abiding citizens. Laws like the current requirement for background checks. Laws (where in effect) that suggest or mandate secure storage of firearms. Laws that don't allow weapons in courthouses.

When many gun owners say that they are against gun control they don't mean no laws, just good laws.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:13 am

When you live in rural Texas, you will find there are two kinds of people. Those with guns, and those with BIG guns. They are nothing more than a tool here. You learn to use them, same as a hammer, starting at a young age.

City Folk amuse us with their "gun control" antics.

True story: Last time I was pulled over by the local cop (singular, we have *one*, only!) she asked me if I was carrying. I told her I was. Her replay was precious: "Good. I always like to know who my back-up is".
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby canexplain » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 am

Grrr I made a long response but I guess I didn't submit it. Bottom line: I live in Aurora Colorado. I work (ed) a few blocks from Columbine. I am going today to take pics at the theater where our shootings took place because it is going to reopen. What do you think I think of guns .......................cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Burning Since: 2013

Postby gyre » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:16 pm

Can't know if you don't say.

A reminder that they never planned to shoot anyone at the high school, realizing that bombs outperform guns easily for indiscriminate destruction.
They were just shit at demo.

A gun is a poor choice for careless murder.

Worth pointing out that Holmes has already been declared by the government to NOT be mentally ill.

Magic woks by misdirection, and that's all the new nonsense is about.
gyre

Postby Canoe » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:06 pm

Roark wrote:When you live in rural Texas, you will find there are two kinds of people. Those with guns, and those with BIG guns. They are nothing more than a tool here. You learn to use them, same as a hammer, starting at a young age.
City Folk amuse us with their "gun control" antics.
True story: Last time I was pulled over by the local cop (singular, we have *one*, only!) she asked me if I was carrying. I told her I was. Her replay was precious: "Good. I always like to know who my back-up is".

+100

Northern Canada, rural store, local custom. Wedding special, two for one: bride orders her wedding dress, then gets to select an included shotgun or rifle. That way she gets her dress and the wedding present for her groom, all in one special deal.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby Sunbeam56 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Foxfur wrote:I'm an ardent supporter of gun rights and the freedom of gun owners to choose whatever legal weapon they prefer. I am against the "assault weapon" ban and high-cap magazine limit.
That said, I am also a supporter of most, if not all, of the executive orders that President Obama signed. He did not use them to make law. He used them in a manner appropriate with provisions for them in the Constitution.
I feel that the executive orders make sense and are the kind of "common sense gun control" that most gun owners have desired to see for a long time.
They are policy directives that have been sorely needed. They are focused on studying, controlling, and preventing violence without restricting law abiding gun owner's rights.

I am interested to see how they work.

I support gun laws that effectively address problems without interfering with law abiding citizens. Laws like the current requirement for background checks. Laws (where in effect) that suggest or mandate secure storage of firearms. Laws that don't allow weapons in courthouses.
When many gun owners say that they are against gun control they don't mean no laws, just good laws.

yeah. what he said. I like the idea of keeping guns away from mass-murdering assholes. But how can you tell?
The focus of the media is on the wrong issue, it seems to me. We need to put more thought into asocial and antisocial psychopaths.

But frankly, I'm not sure that I wouldn't be included in such a list. Not that I would ever do anything like that - just that external facts do not define the person. I tend to be private (asocial), have a bad temper (well-controlled), and am considered eccentric (too many dogs).

So - where's the line?
Let GOOD win!
Sunbeam56

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Sunbeam56 wrote:So - where's the line?

In your case... about three dawgs. :mrgreen: HEHEHEH
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Countries with an armed populace, like Israel and Switzerland, require military service (and feel free to correct me,which }m sure you will. As this is just a vague recollection). I'm not sure that being required to support a regimes foriegn policy is a good thing....however!!, I think in THIS country, with a second amendment, requires mandatory training. A required course on gun safety, may be all that's needed, to bring everyone on the same page. I hate the concept of a "Draft", but I think we would be well served to have knowledge of firearms.

TomServo

Postby canexplain » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

TomServo wrote:Countries with an armed populace, like Israel and Switzerland, require military service (and feel free to correct me,which }m sure you will. As this is just a vague recollection). I'm not sure that being required to support a regimes foriegn policy is a good thing....however!!, I think in THIS country, with a second amendment, requires mandatory training. A required course on gun safety, may be all that's needed, to bring everyone on the same page. I hate the concept of a "Draft", but I think we would be well served to have knowledge of firearms.

Funny you should say that. I did 4 years in the service and that is where I learned how to use some weapons and never handled them since. My room mate a few years ago had a real AK47, glocks, walter ppk's, you name it. BTW, he was depressed one day, went up into our beautiful mountains which he loved, and shot his head off with a 45. Yea guns ....grrrrr...cr****
Coachella Wk2 04/19-04/21
Wakarusa 05/30-06/02
Bonnaroo 06/13-06/16
Dave Matthews Band 08/23-08/24
BurningMan 08/26-09/02
VooDoo 11/01-11/03
Bridge Benefit 10/???
canexplain

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:44 pm

I really have a conceptual problem with the whole gun debate.

I completely see where the "anti-gun" folks are coming from. Almost all of them are city-folk, and they've had to live through the wreckage of a "shooting". Seriously, if I lived in the city again, and my neighbor had a .50 BMG, I'd be soiling my knickers. WHY would you need such a thing? But I can make a heck of an argument for having a 1911-type .45 throwing a Glaser slug.

And at the same time I see where the "pro-gun" lobby is coming from. The moment you disarm the populace, they will be enslaved. Historically, this has happened a dozen times.

There is a balance here, and that is what LIFE is about. Balance. Guns are not evil. People are not evil. But combine the worst of both and you will get... EVIL.

Personally, I don't think some bozo in Washington DC should dictate how I deal with predators to MY HERD. To wit, if I'm defending livestock, or family, or friends, from a bona fide threat, be it animal or human, they can kiss my entire ass. Conversely, I don't need a .50-chambered weapon to do that. A good .30-06 or .308 will take-down anything moving on the North American continent... and beyond.

Put another way: Anything designed to drop a grizzley bear at 400 yards is silly to have in the city. Conversely, there isn't any reason for someone in the country to have a thermonuclear weapon.

There is grounds for compromise here. It isn't black and white. The debate need not boil-down politics if only common sense will prevail.
Roark

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 pm

canexplain wrote: My room mate a few years ago had a real AK47

A real AK? Or a semi auto? I had A SEMI AUTO.

Firearms shoot tiny pieces of metal. ALL Firearms! They are dangerous! But they are still, simply, tools. If you think outside the box, they can be used for much more than just dick swinging and killing!

TomServo

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:06 pm

Sorta funny: I was looking at the flyswatter and going "hey! I want one!". :)
Roark

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion