2013 TICKET SOLUTION

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: 2013 TICKET SOLUTION

Postby International Incident » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:43 pm

Hmm, I'm waiting for the inevitable cries of "we want":
1. names on tickets;
2. ticket priority given to those that have been before;
3. some form of second/third sale for those who don't get tickets because the server crashes;
4. special conditions for those in a different time zone; or
5. some other impossible nonsense.

So to avoid the interminable stupid posts that we will all have to endure perhaps the mods could make a sticky that says "if you ask for the following (insert relevant "we want") International Incident will hunt you down and punch you until you are a crying writhing mess. So just don't bring your whining and whinging into eplaya. Talk about Art you fucks.

Do you think that is a possibility?
International Incident

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Postby Sham » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:56 pm

II, it looks like all has been accounted for. What I can see is a very workable ticketing system. People need to register in order to weed out scalper types, but once you are registered, you can jump on and buy tickets at a single tier price, once they go on sale.
From what I can see, it that there is no need for anyone to try and game the system or hoard tickets.
As someone who can be a tad critical, I think that this year will be the smoothest it has been in a very long time.
The single tier ticket will also help to eliminate the stampede that happened once the ticket window was opened.
An awful lot of thought went into this years ticketing, and I feel it will work very well. :D
Sham

Postby International Incident » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Shambala wrote:II, it looks like all has been accounted for. What I can see is a very workable ticketing system. People need to register in order to weed out scalper types, but once you are registered, you can jump on and buy tickets at a single tier price, once they go on sale.
From what I can see, it that there is no need for anyone to try and game the system or hoard tickets.
As someone who can be a tad critical, I think that this year will be the smoothest it has been in a very long time.
The single tier ticket will also help to eliminate the stampede that happened once the ticket window was opened.
An awful lot of thought went into this years ticketing, and I feel it will work very well. :D

Sham - but it doesn't matter how good the system is the whingers will whinge.

I also think it is going to be smooth and that it won't sell out on the first day. But then again I'm a hopeless optimist (not).
International Incident

Postby Sham » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I too am an optimist, but also a realist. I will stand by my words, that (in my personal opinion) things will chug along smoothly, there will be no computer crashes, and there will be plenty of tickets for those who want them.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

I'm pretty certain MY computer will crash.
I miss the lottery already. Well, except for the attendant winging. And well, that fucking winging is the only fucking guarentee that we have about this new (probably) fucking system.
Fuck.

Wait a minute... Where am I? ... This doesn't look like the right thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby wh..sh » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

International Incident wrote:Sham - but it doesn't matter how good the system is the whingers will whinge.

I also think it is going to be smooth and that it won't sell out on the first day. But then again I'm a hopeless optimist (not).

:| Ahhh, smooth just sounds boring.
Can I atleast hope for "I have to eat Top Ramen for 6 months to afford burning man tickets" kinda whining?
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm

wh..sh wrote:
International Incident wrote:Sham - but it doesn't matter how good the system is the whingers will whinge.

Can I atleast hope for "I have to eat Top Ramen for 6 months to afford burning man tickets" kinda whining?

Whats wrong with Top Ramen? :|
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby pink » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Ick. I ate way too much top ramen as a young adult. But I'll eat peanut butter sammiches all day long to help finance my leisure.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby BBadger » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 pm

Gotta change up the ramen noodles with some good sauces, and buy a decent brand of ramen with better quality noodles (I like Sapporo Ichiban). For example, using some chili black-bean sauce really enhances instant ramen and udon noodles. Even just some cooked peanut oil (cook that until it smokes and stinks up your house, you'll thank me), or chili sesame oil will kick those noodles up a notch.

You can create a fusion too. Ramen noodles with this "Mother's" garlic-pickle sauce I got from some Indian food shop is just excellent. The crunchy flavorful garlics also give it some texture. It's also good in fried rice.

Oh yeah, we were talking about tickets huh?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 am

illy dilly wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

Whats wrong with Top Ramen? :|

Read the sodium content, then double it because there's supposedly two servings in one packet. Yikes.

I'm just afraid I'll be out of town or some such nonsense when the sale gets going.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby pink » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:02 pm

Now real ramen vs Top Ramen is a different thing. I love udon noodles.
pink

Postby mulch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

Ok, burners.

A group of veteran Mardi Gras people are going to take our experiences gathered over a lifetime of living a multi week, city wide, burningman likeish, cultural experience and try our hand at it on your side of the country this year. Yes we are noobs... but I can assure you we will bring a perspective of participation, costumes, crazy vehicles, and a wild camp to your crazy festival. Ok my introduction should act as a shield for those who might harass me as being naive. :shock:

Ok, I know, I know, the regular ticket program is announced Jan 4, but what was the program for 2011 as far as how many tickets any one person can buy. We are impatient as we plan for this, and we need tickets for our whole crew of perhaps 6 and dont know if one or two people can get everyone's tickets, if everyone needs their own. We were kinda gonna go last year, but the ticket fiasco threw us for a loop and we just cant let that happen this year. I know I know, y'all (that means "you guys") don't really know yet, but I bet you have a good idea of what to expect and no, I'm not patient enough to wait, apparently.

What is the likely scenario given that a the lottery is out.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Bounce530 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 pm

I'll be the first to say, PLEASE LEAVE THE BEADS HOME!
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby mulch » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 pm

I'll be the first to say, PLEASE LEAVE THE BEADS HOME!

Fair enough.... for locals, Mardi Gras isn't about parades, beads, titties on Bourbon Street. It's about community, family, friends, food, parties, music, dancing in the street, costumes, putting the usuals of life on hold.

I suspect Burningman isn't really about watching a big wood man burn. So what do we expect as far as how we get tickets for 6 of us. Partly our impatience is from the damn $650 tickets that none of us can easily afford, but given that we failed last year in the lottery, it is annoyingly enticing; hence the desire for more information now.
choose damned if you do
mulch

Burning Since: 2013

Postby mshaman » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:56 pm

First, welcome to the board. I hope it proves helpful and informative.

mulch wrote:Ok, I know, I know, the regular ticket program is announced Jan 4, but what was the program for 2011 as far as how many tickets any one person can buy. We are impatient as we plan for this, and we need tickets for our whole crew of perhaps 6 and dont know if one or two people can get everyone's tickets, if everyone needs their own. We were kinda gonna go last year, but the ticket fiasco threw us for a loop and we just cant let that happen this year. I know I know, y'all (that means "you guys") don't really know yet, but I bet you have a good idea of what to expect and no, I'm not patient enough to wait, apparently.

What is the likely scenario given that a the lottery is out.

Expect multiple rounds of sales several weeks or months apart, the first one in late January. Usually tickets went on sale around New Year's so the fact that we don't even get an announcement until the 4th could mean that they're a)not sure what the hell to do and trying to figure it out, or b)intend to postpone ticket sales in an attempt to limit the secondary market for tickets. My vote is both. Probably some retention of the tiered pricing system from previous years. Higher prices. Max = 2 tickets per person, maybe 4 per address. This is an educated guess, but only a guess, see this thread for everyone else's guesses, so we can keep this thread focused on Lemur's original satire: viewtopic.php?f=326&t=63337

It ain't over 'till the fat lady sings (ooh, politically incorrect, I mean the woman with generous adipost tissue). You can always get tickets cheap at the last minute if you're willing to deal with the heartburn. So. If you're going to go, go. If not, don't. Too many people bailed in my camp last year because we couldn't get tickets in time to plan. It undermined our ability to execute. So plan anyway, execute anyway, and if you don't get tickets in the main sale, you'll get tickets 2 weeks before, when every college student who heard BM is the biggest rave ever decides they can't swing the gas money and miss the first week of school, so their tickets go up for sale.

You will definitely be able to find tickets for less than $650, that's the luxury tax on certainty because they know they can get it from at least 3000 people with more money than patience.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled facetiousness.
The road of life is littered with flat squirrels who couldn't decide.
mshaman

Postby lucky420 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:17 pm

No offense mulch but I don't think anyone really wants to rehash the clusterfuck,angst and confusion that was the great ticket debacle of 2011...although I could be wrong.

There is plenty reading in the 2011 ticket threads. You may want to have mega doses of Tylenol, whiskey or whatever your pleasure is to get you through them though.

Oh and Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:21 pm

The newest JRS says the $650 price will keep the main sale prices close to last years price. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby maladroit » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm

mulch wrote:I suspect Burningman isn't really about watching a big wood man burn. So what do we expect as far as how we get tickets for 6 of us. Partly our impatience is from the damn $650 tickets that none of us can easily afford, but given that we failed last year in the lottery, it is annoyingly enticing; hence the desire for more information now.

You sound like you "get it" and you will get tickets. I think the key idea is to make sure you have that vacation time locked in, and get everything ready. If you'd done so last year, you would have been able to get tickets and go. I wouldn't be incredibly worried if you miss the main sale, or get 4 out of 6 tickets at first.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 pm

lucky420 wrote:No offense mulch but I don't think anyone really wants to rehash the clusterfuck,angst and confusion that was the great ticket debacle of 2011...although I could be wrong.

There is plenty reading in the 2011 ticket threads. You may want to have mega doses of Tylenol, whiskey or whatever your pleasure is to get you through them though.

If you're a true masochist, then you can go on to the 2012 ticket threads...

By "masochist" I don't mean the s&m kind.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby International Incident » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:51 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
lucky420 wrote:No offense mulch but I don't think anyone really wants to rehash the clusterfuck,angst and confusion that was the great ticket debacle of 2011...although I could be wrong.

If you're a true masochist, then you can go on to the 2012 ticket threads...

By "masochist" I don't mean the s&m kind.

Noooo, don't

The Horror, The horror
International Incident

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:15 am

mulch - in years past, you'd get no presale at all and no ticket info until after the start of the new year (in my first year, tickets didn't go on sale until early March). Ticket limits were 2 on the lower price tiers, and 4 on the highest price tier. Last year was the first year in which the ticket limit was 4 for the pre-sale, and 2 for the main sale (at any price).

There's not much more you can do regarding ticket purchase planning until information is announced on the 4th. At best, you could touch base with your group and see that at least 3 of you have a mastercard or visa (either credit or debit card) that you'd be able to use for purchases if the main sale is announced with a limit of two tickets per person. If not, that's no sweat, as you can get a pre-paid card if need be when the time comes. From there, don't worry about that aspect of the trip for a couple weeks, focus on other stuff. Survival and first-timer's guides if you haven't read them yet, working on camp plans or trip logistics, working on something awesome to wear, or making some other cool piece of art.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby FlyingMonkey » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:53 am

I see that there are 8 tickets for 2013 on Shlubhub for $1700 each. What a deal.......I mean WTF?
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:01 am

If you go back and re-read the 2012 ticket forum, you'd see that StubHub doesn't have to have tickets in hand to sell them. The business plan of people who see bm tickets there is to sell the ticket first, then buy from someone else.
Ebay needs to have the item in hand to sell.

(Unless I have it backwards, of course.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:48 pm

Scalpers often engage in ticket speculation, listing tickets for sale long before they either have them in hand or have even made a purchase. They did it with last year's event, as well as most hot ticket concerts and sporting events.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby pink » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:17 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:I see that there are 8 tickets for 2013 on Shlubhub for $1700 each. What a deal.......I mean WTF?

Just dumb. The main sale hasn't even been announced yet. Morons.
pink

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Speculators, pink. It's what they do.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:22 pm

Anytime I see those speculator prices I look at this and have to laugh:

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:51 am

theCryptofishist wrote:If you go back and re-read the 2012 ticket forum, you'd see that StubHub doesn't have to have tickets in hand to sell them. The business plan of people who see bm tickets there is to sell the ticket first, then buy from someone else.
Ebay needs to have the item in hand to sell.

(Unless I have it backwards, of course.)

Oh, I know that all too well. Last year I actually called Stubhub to see what their policy was & vent a little. Of course I got nowhere.

I guess my point was more to the fact that it has started so early & they are so overpriced.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.
FlyingMonkey

Postby lemur » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:33 am

Everyone gets a staff ticket!!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo