Self-Supported Cycle Tourists Camp

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Self-Supported Cycle Tourists Camp

Postby Saguache » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:50 am

Self-Supported Cycle Tourists Camp (needs a better name)

The Idea
Self supported bicycle tourists already have an active community of radically self reliant travelers. Why not bring our know how to the playa. The idea is to organize a camp focused around our particular love of cycling and the do it yourself attitude. Have some stories to tell, an amazing machine to show the rest of the world, or a special skill on your mount that you'd love to teach others? This is the camp for you.

Getting the Group Together
We're looking for people who love to bike. You don't have to ride to the playa, but you're welcome to if you'd like. If there is enough buy in we can organize a SAGed tour to the burn, if you'd rather drive that's ok too.

Infrastructure
Much of this will depend on the number of people traveling under their own power. Again, a SAG vehicle will allow easier access to group infrastructure once we reach the burn, however, everything, including water and shade can be packed in your panniers. Much like how the group forms up, this is up to the group.

Placement
We intend to go through the placement process once it opens in the spring.

Special Note:
To be clear, this thread is being posted to seek out other burners who happen to share an interest in self-support bicycle touring. It is not a place for discussion of your opinions on touring, touring to the burn, why you like cars more than bicycles, or any other non-camp related exchanges. If you'd like to tell the entire ePlaya community how stupid you think bikes are or the people who ride them happen to be please visit this thread.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=63399
-- Inspire or empower your neighbor, the rest is a waste of precious time
Saguache

Re: Self-Supported Cycle Tourists Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:53 am

Much better.. and good luck in your endeavors.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Am I going to get in trouble for saying that a big gaggle of bikes on the approach roads to BRC is not a good idea. I am an avid rider...both mountain and road...done many major events nationally and local. Sure, if it's just an occasional outing along a lonely country road, fine. But you all know that the approaches to BRC are not that, at least 3-5 days leading up to opening day and during Exodus. A couple of bikers might work, but any more than that and you're talking creation of major bottlenecks along an already max'd out route.

Love the idea of a bike riders' camp, tho. Maybe someone can show us how to keep a group of riders together on the playa at night.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:31 am

I'm a big fan of bikes (I worked as a messenger in NYC and I ride a pedicab in Austin now, among other pursuits) and have been thinking and reading a lot about touring.

The idea of riding from Austin to the playa now (early January to enjoy the snow in Gerlach) seems pretty awesome, although I have doubts about riding to Black Rock City. I think it would be fun to have a camp of cycle tourers and maybe have a ride or "race" around BRC.

It would be nice to dispel the myths that the playa destroys bikes also.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Return to 2013 Theme Camps