Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi all!
Below is a video from our first work day for Tiki Island! Tiki Island is Playa Surfers' first art car and we're all pretty excited about it.

Also, I have a bit of an odd question. Does any one here know the distance between the light posts lining 3, 6 & 9 o'clock? This is a crucial piece of information for the build of our Island as we would not want the Island wider then the distance of these posts.

[media]
[/quote]
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Sham » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:48 pm

My guess is that they are at least 60 feet apart.
User avatar
Sham
Moderator
 
Posts: 6266
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 am
Location: The hidden mythical place.....

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:54 pm

I'd say calculate the average distance between darkwads......it's critical to get at least one.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:29 pm

:D
Hey there! I looked at your web site; fabulous idea! But I want to bring up one question: That bus looks like it might be a General Motors RTS model, and I wonder if it is a "space frame" structure, as opposed to being built on a frame like older buses and large trucks? If it has no frame, then I would suggest you get someone knowledgeable to review the project before you cut it apart. The worst case scenario is that it could become completely undrivable, and even break in two. So please look into this before you cut any more. Best of luck! :D

EDIT to add:
The RTS product line utilizes a welded, modular stainless steel body construction.

That is from the current manufacturer's web site. I feel 99 percent sure it has no frame.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014



ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
User avatar
Elliot
 
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Elliot » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:17 pm

.
And more:
GM used some innovative new design and manufacturing techniques to build the new RTS. GM Old Looks and Fishbowls both had used a monocoque construction in which a stressed skin provides much of the total structural strength. In contrast, the RTS utilized an integral stainless steel frame consisting of a series of pre-fabricated 5-foot long stainless steel “modules” welded together to form a robust, corrosion resistant structure. Theoretically, buses of 30’, 35’ and 40’ lengths could be assembled readily using this modular “building block” approach. The outer skin of the RTS consisted of non load bearing, corrosion resistant fiberglass panels.

This is from a bus discussion forum, but the writer seems very knowledgeable.

I just worry a lot, I guess. Would hate to see you ruin the bus and have to start over.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014



ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
User avatar
Elliot
 
Posts: 5275
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:41 pm
Location: Clearlake, Northern California
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Shambala wrote:My guess is that they are at least 60 feet apart.



Very helpful! I was being told 20 feet apart... which would be a problem.
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Elliot wrote::D
Hey there! I looked at your web site; fabulous idea! But I want to bring up one question: That bus looks like it might be a General Motors RTS model, and I wonder if it is a "space frame" structure, as opposed to being built on a frame like older buses and large trucks? If it has no frame, then I would suggest you get someone knowledgeable to review the project before you cut it apart. The worst case scenario is that it could become completely undrivable, and even break in two. So please look into this before you cut any more. Best of luck! :D

EDIT to add:
The RTS product line utilizes a welded, modular stainless steel body construction.

That is from the current manufacturer's web site. I feel 99 percent sure it has no frame.


You are incredibly helpful. Thank you. I will bring this to the team for clarification. I truly appreciate your input here. If you have any more suggestions, concerns, ideas please feel free to post. XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:25 pm

Elliot wrote:.
And more:
GM used some innovative new design and manufacturing techniques to build the new RTS. GM Old Looks and Fishbowls both had used a monocoque construction in which a stressed skin provides much of the total structural strength. In contrast, the RTS utilized an integral stainless steel frame consisting of a series of pre-fabricated 5-foot long stainless steel “modules” welded together to form a robust, corrosion resistant structure. Theoretically, buses of 30’, 35’ and 40’ lengths could be assembled readily using this modular “building block” approach. The outer skin of the RTS consisted of non load bearing, corrosion resistant fiberglass panels.

This is from a bus discussion forum, but the writer seems very knowledgeable.

I just worry a lot, I guess. Would hate to see you ruin the bus and have to start over.


As do I. Which is why I'm posting here. The more information we have, the better. Thank you so much for your input.
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby trilobyte » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:44 am

I think you'd ideally need to make sure you're no more than half the width between the light poles, otherwise the would not be room for opposing traffic. Beyond a certain width I'm not sure the DMV will approve it for cuty streets - you may want to check the mutant vehicle page and send them an email to get some clarification directly from the source.
User avatar
trilobyte
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10628
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Mr. Just Right » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:12 am

Oh geez!! Can't wait to see this on the playa. And if there is anyway I can help from the Pacific NW, I'm all ears.
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
User avatar
Mr. Just Right
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am
Location: PNW
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 am

trilobyte wrote:I think you'd ideally need to make sure you're no more than half the width between the light poles, otherwise the would not be room for opposing traffic. Beyond a certain width I'm not sure the DMV will approve it for cuty streets - you may want to check the mutant vehicle page and send them an email to get some clarification directly from the source.


Thank you! That's a good idea. I'll do that now.
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am

kaicrown wrote:Oh geez!! Can't wait to see this on the playa. And if there is anyway I can help from the Pacific NW, I'm all ears.


Thank you! This is why I love our Burner community so much. Such a spirit of giving and contribution. XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Mr. Just Right » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:52 am

Definitely, I haven't been a Burner for long but I love helping out in anyway possible. Even my first burn I donated to 7 different art pieces. Didn't make it one year and I still helped Black Rock Disc Golf Club with a logo design. You may already have a decal provider, but I do work at a large format printing company. If you have any printing needs, let me know.
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
User avatar
Mr. Just Right
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am
Location: PNW
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:20 am

kaicrown wrote:Definitely, I haven't been a Burner for long but I love helping out in anyway possible. Even my first burn I donated to 7 different art pieces. Didn't make it one year and I still helped Black Rock Disc Golf Club with a logo design. You may already have a decal provider, but I do work at a large format printing company. If you have any printing needs, let me know.


You are incredible and I'm sure we could use your help... thank you! I'll PM you with my FB info so we can chat. You rock!

New video from today's work day!

[media]
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:12 am

Thought I'd share the latest. Enjoy... I know we are! XOX

[media]
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:16 am

This looks incredible! Whole lot of sexy people working on an awesome project, keep up the good work!
User avatar
AdamOfTheRedEarth
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:54 am
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Mr. Just Right » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Ya'll are hammering it out quick! Awesome how that one guy couldn't set down his beer while helping. Right on. :lol: . Something I would do.
Love seeing all these updates. Getting more and more excited!!
You still thinking about setting up a Kickstarter for this project?
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
User avatar
Mr. Just Right
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am
Location: PNW
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Roark » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Wow! What a crew! Go you! Go you! :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark
 
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Yeah, you guys are getting a lot done.

There must be nothing else to do where you are - LA? ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16313
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Hehe! Yeah, I'm very proud of all of us and it's been quite a bonding adventure. Definitely going to do a kickstarter but not till about Feb 15 or so. Thank you for asking and your interest in helping. I'll keep ya'll posted.
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Yeah, you guys are getting a lot done.

There must be nothing else to do where you are - LA? ;)


Nothing I'd rather be doing! XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Bringing you a Sunday Build Day... Yay!

Please join us to help build the deck on Tiki Island, socialize, meet new members, bring new members, meet Playa Surfers and/or just get a peek at Tiki Island.

This is a leave no trace event, so be prepared to pack out what you pack in, thanks! As a home and workplace we want to show it the same care that we would The Playa. Be sure to do your part to clean up before you leave. Also, if you need/want to smoke at all, please ask someone if you are not sure where it is safe to do so (and please collect cigarette butts).

Please bring any snacks, drinks, cameras you'd like! Oh and gloves... definitely bring gloves!

Time: 12pm to 4pm
Location: 7570 Woodman Place, Van Nuys, CA 91405

See you there!

http://playasurfers.com/Playa_Surfers/Tiki_Island.html

#TikiIsland
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby gyre » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Sounds like what you are planning will have no chance in hell of going down streets.
Not that unusual though.
User avatar
gyre
 
Posts: 15346
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: ΦάÏ

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 pm

gyre wrote:Sounds like what you are planning will have no chance in hell of going down streets.
Not that unusual though.


No, this one is going to be relegated to the Playa. XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:12 am

We had another work day this past weekend. Thought I'd share a fun little video from that day. Hope you enjoy! XOX

[media]
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Mr. Just Right » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Loving all the updates! Keep up the hard work. Can't wait to ride and shake my ass to some beats on the playa!
That's Mr. Just Right to you.
User avatar
Mr. Just Right
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:18 am
Location: PNW
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby renojeff » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

very impressive. I'll be looking for your tiki island on the playa. It will be the perfect place to visit on my bamboo airplane art cart that I'm building this year.
renojeff
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:33 pm
Location: Reno NV USA
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Milayna » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 pm

Will you be having more workdays? I live in Los Angeles but my camp hails from all over so we plan separately and then meet on playa. I'd love to physically help with something in the area! :D
User avatar
Milayna
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Milayna wrote:Will you be having more workdays? I live in Los Angeles but my camp hails from all over so we plan separately and then meet on playa. I'd love to physically help with something in the area! :D


We sure are. We are scheduling a work day each month. I'm updating the website tomorrow with those dates! We'd love to you to join us.
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
User avatar
DesireeTime
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:13 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Playa Surfers' Tiki Island!

Postby Milayna » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:01 pm

Awesome! :D
User avatar
Milayna
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:21 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Next

Return to 2013 Mutant Vehicles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests