Food: What's good/bad?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby Savannah » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:I skip Granola bars, for the most part. I was surprised to see how little protein the average one has. Bars with peanuts do slightly better.

I think those things are secretly candy. And not even tasty candy. Candy you have to suffer through. All the disadvantages and none of the fun.


Hahahaha!

Like the abomination known as "chocolate yogurt". Yes pls, I would like some sour chocolate. :shock:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby tatonka » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:39 pm

Butter will melt in the heat , I always leave it out usally, but will have to keep it the cooler.

Image
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
User avatar
tatonka
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:28 pm
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:06 am

I use powdered butter.. Mix what is needed with boiling water..

Going to mess with some powdered chocolate this week..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:42 am

There can be only one.......BACON.

At the Black Rock Beacon last year we had over 120 pounds. The majority of it was gone by the time we left the playa.

Some of the 'better-known' recipes:

Bacon -wrapped tritip or filet mignon
Bacon Pizza
Bacon and eggs
Bacon Quesadillas
Bacon on salads

Bacon is not just for breakfast anymore.

And for those of you who love to consume your bacon in liquid form:

the Bacon Bloody Mary

8oz tomato juice
2 oz. Bakon vodka (bacon infused, and oh, so good)
2-3 dashes of Bacon Hot Sauce (there IS such a product)
One strip of bacon, cooked, as garnish.
Bacon Salt to taste.

Best enjoyed with friends. It may be a little light on the vodka, but that's easily remedied with a second jigger of Bakon.

There's also the fantastic and fabled Bacon-Bourbon Jam.....

2 lbs bacon
1 medium onion
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsps garlic powder
6 tbsps fresh-brewed coffee
6 tbsps your favorite bourbon whiskey or Tennessee whiskey

Cut the bacon into 1" long strips and fry. Drain grease, saving about a tablespoon to lightly cook the onions until they're just translucent, not browned. Then add the maple syrup, brown sugar, garlic powder, coffee, and whiskey to the skillet. Bring to a boil, and then turn off the heat. Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker for four hours on 'high' (this allows the onions to caramelize) Then, empty all the ingredients cooked in the slow cooker into a blender, and pulverize it to a spreadable paste. It makes about two cups of a most fantastic spread, good on crackers, English muffins, celery, whatever. The taste is fantastic. When shared, it makes friends.

I was disappointed no one had yet mentioned the gateway meat, so I thought I'd share this with you all.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
User avatar
^Rhino!
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby maladroit » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:43 pm

There's also the fantastic and fabled Bacon-Bourbon Jam.....

2 lbs bacon
1 medium onion
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsps garlic powder
6 tbsps fresh-brewed coffee
6 tbsps your favorite bourbon whiskey or Tennessee whiskey


I've had all of these ingredients in varying combinations, but never at the same time. That will have to change.

You could spread it on bacon.
maladroit
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby ^Rhino! » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:50 am

Imagine, though, maladroit, using bacon strips to dip into a jar of this stuff......I've done it.

It was no less than heavenly.

I will be bringing a limited personal supply to BRC this year. I could go through a jar a day easily, and the preparation time is more than I'd like.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
User avatar
^Rhino!
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby edbrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:46 am

burgin wrote:
edbrez wrote:I usually take PHD synergy when training, 30g protien per serving, never thought to bring some over....
Wonder how it would be like going through customs, Large container of white powder "Over here Sir" (puts on gloves in backround) :? :lol:


I know from experience that opened powders, like nutrition supplements, cannot come through US customs. Unopened powders are no problem though


Good stuff, thanks, saves me the rubber glove treatment so :lol:
Just try not to look like a columbian druglord and smile politely

I think though, just for handiness, I'll buy everything I need over in US, maybe duty free might get hit up for some cheap booze though :D
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
User avatar
edbrez
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Location: Ireland
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby edbrez » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:49 am

^Rhino! wrote:There can be only one.......BACON.

At the Black Rock Beacon last year we had over 120 pounds. The majority of it was gone by the time we left the playa.

Some of the 'better-known' recipes:

Bacon -wrapped tritip or filet mignon
Bacon Pizza
Bacon and eggs
Bacon Quesadillas
Bacon on salads

Bacon is not just for breakfast anymore.

And for those of you who love to consume your bacon in liquid form:

the Bacon Bloody Mary

8oz tomato juice
2 oz. Bakon vodka (bacon infused, and oh, so good)
2-3 dashes of Bacon Hot Sauce (there IS such a product)
One strip of bacon, cooked, as garnish.
Bacon Salt to taste.

Best enjoyed with friends. It may be a little light on the vodka, but that's easily remedied with a second jigger of Bakon.

There's also the fantastic and fabled Bacon-Bourbon Jam.....

2 lbs bacon
1 medium onion
3/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tsps garlic powder
6 tbsps fresh-brewed coffee
6 tbsps your favorite bourbon whiskey or Tennessee whiskey

Cut the bacon into 1" long strips and fry. Drain grease, saving about a tablespoon to lightly cook the onions until they're just translucent, not browned. Then add the maple syrup, brown sugar, garlic powder, coffee, and whiskey to the skillet. Bring to a boil, and then turn off the heat. Put all the ingredients in a slow cooker for four hours on 'high' (this allows the onions to caramelize) Then, empty all the ingredients cooked in the slow cooker into a blender, and pulverize it to a spreadable paste. It makes about two cups of a most fantastic spread, good on crackers, English muffins, celery, whatever. The taste is fantastic. When shared, it makes friends.

I was disappointed no one had yet mentioned the gateway meat, so I thought I'd share this with you all.


I think I need to add bacon to my list :)
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
User avatar
edbrez
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Location: Ireland
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby Bob » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:45 pm

Image
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
User avatar
Bob
 
Posts: 6762
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:00 am
Location: San Francisco
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby ^Rhino! » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:07 pm

Bob, you had to do it to us, didn't you.

Prosciutto and Capacola.

Except you seem to be inadvertently (or is it intentional) missing the sopresseta, and the Genoa salami. I know (adopts Brando's slur and tone of voice), it's just business.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
User avatar
^Rhino!
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Squash will last all week on the playa..

To fix..

Cut the squash in half.. Scope out the seeds with your 1Tbsp measure.. Clean and wash seeds.. preheat the oven to 170 f. .. place seeds one a cookie sheet and roast for 20 min..Place squash half's in a double boiler/steamer.. Steam for 12 min. on high.. Remove squash and butter, 100% maple surup and sugar.. Get out the cutting torch and glaze the topping.. Squash and roasted seeds
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm

That's good or "winter" squash, right?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37412
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:That's good or "winter" squash, right?


They are ready by late Aug..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:30 pm

For dinner I made Sawmill gravy..

Did not have white flour in the house.. So milled some steel cut oats in the coffee grinder..That worked good.. It didn't thicken with soy milk enough.. So I added two tbsp of instance potato.. I have cut down on salt, so have made some seasoning..

1 1/2 tbsp butter

Melt in skillet.

1/4 cup flour.

Wisk flour into butter..

2 cup milk..

Slowly add milk while stirring..

Add seasoning to taste..

Keep stirring and bring gravy to a boil..

Cover off heat to simmer 10 min.

You can add a small amount of instance potato to make thicker gravy..

All the ingredients are from dry goods.. Added water to make the soy milk..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby ^Rhino! » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:14 pm

unjonharley, you're only halfway there.

Hate to tell you that, but it's true. With sawmill gravy, what are you going to put it on? Chicken fried steak? Potatoes? Biscuits? All of them?

Deep in Texas, there's a town called Snook, and it has a steak house known as Sodolak's. At it has the most delectable artery-clogging treat of all....chicken-fried bacon.

[media]


Oh, my. Yes, I've had it before. When you get it just right, the bacon will literally melt in your mouth. Add your sawmill gravy, just like Mr. Sodolak has done with his white gravy, and you may be in for a treat beyond divine.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
User avatar
^Rhino!
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:39 pm

unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:That's good or "winter" squash, right?


They are ready by late Aug..

Okay, let me try another way... Not those nasty zucchini, yes?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37412
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby ^Rhino! » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:That's good or "winter" squash, right?


They are ready by late Aug..

Okay, let me try another way... Not those nasty zucchini, yes?


Butternut squash and acorn squash are ones you can get rather inexpensively. Buttenut squash has a smooth texture when cooked, and acorn squash is much the same. Recipes for the butternut squash:

http://www.all-creatures.org/recipes/i-squash-butternut.html

A rather interesting recipe that I'm planning on trying for acorn squash:

http://www.cleanedmyplate.com/homecooking/veggie-sides/acorn-squash-with-chile-lime-vinaigrette/

I'll keep you posted on how it tasted.
Rue Morgue - '08, '09
Black Rock Beacon - '10, '12, '13
(lux, veritas, lardum)
Bacon is forever.

Veni, vidi, pertudi. (We came, we saw, we DRILLED.) - BRC Division of Geology 2009-2013

I'm here until the serendipitous synchronicity is ubiquitous.
User avatar
^Rhino!
 
Posts: 671
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 pm
Location: Columbia, Missouri
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Beacon

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:06 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:That's good or "winter" squash, right?


They are ready by late Aug..

Okay, let me try another way... Not those nasty zucchini, yes?


NEVER.. Not in my garden.. zucchini are like snot..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:16 am

Rhino, I just made gravy and turned it into shit on a shingle.

I don;t eat things that have a face.. So, for shit I used textured soybean..
This morning it's gravy over golden potato on the side. With an egg and cheese omelette. All from dry stock..

Might try making biscuits this afternoon..

I,m trying to build a menu from all dry stock for TTITD
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 am

Hear that ladies!!!

Unjon does'nt eat anything with a face!

I'm not THAT picky. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby unjonharley » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:02 am

Ladies in my age group need only to remove the makeup..
User avatar
unjonharley
 
Posts: 8789
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:05 am
Location: Salem Or.

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby maladroit » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:24 am

FIGJAM wrote:Hear that ladies!!!

Unjon does'nt eat anything with a face!

I'm not THAT picky. 8)


Well, you sort of have to squint and cross your eyes to see a face anyway.
maladroit
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:37 pm
Burning Since: 2012

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Good:
Image

Bad:
Image
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
User avatar
MacGlenver
 
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:10 am

edbrez wrote:
graidawg wrote:Hi Ed, what i ate on the 2 times i've been so far.

pre cooked bacon and pre boiled eggs for breakfast.
noodles with jerky at some point in the day
some sort of power bar usually

chilli on chilli cook off day (barbie death camp)
pizza on pizza day (barbie death camp)
A fantastic stroganoff (courtesy of swish embassy)
spag bol (swish embassy again)
MARMITE
beer and bloody marys (vitamins in them)
blue gatorade

its amazing how un hungry i get out there, usually all i crave is pickles, slim jims and bacon

Oh yes olives, which i despise off playa - still do i bought some when i got back to london and they are filthy balls of nastiness.

must not forget the cherries at swish embassy ( well they looked like cherries)



Ah graidawg you're being spoilt.... What about self reliance? :lol:
i think I'm joining Stag camp if they'll have me, I really wanna be as self sufficient as possible, while having the freedom to volunteer in lamplighters occationally and Temple Guardians.
i might come for tea some evening though if you'll have me over at Barbie Death Camp for a yarn or two
We can always finish a bottle of rum or whiskey, whatever takes your fancy... :P


Bwahahahahahahaha, just catching up to this. Howdy EdBrez nice-to-meet-you. Graidawg is not being spoiled. 8) He is enmeshed in a network. Dunno what he's done for the Swishers but I personally ply him with bacon & eggs etc in return for heavy lifting and entertainment. And you sir or ma'am are quite welcome to take "tea" in our hut any time you find us. There is always booze and usually something to eat. 8)

Grai you forgot to mention the ePlaya Meet & Greet dinner. The BDC village Pancake Pork-Out is of course a secret. 8)

Oh and EdBrez, we have bookoo assorted Europans at Barbie Death Camp but I don't recall meeting any Irish there. If you get an invite from Doc Pyro please at least consider it. It's a big village with lots of freedom and many of us volunteer out.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3097
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby graidawg » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:34 am

Oh yea i forgot to mention MDF precooks the bacon and with a truly unbelievable amount of self control does not eat most of (or indeed any) of it while cooking, i literally had to leave the room after about 5 minutes.

Edbrez i should mention American bacon is nothing like british bacon, and even less like Irish. Its a kind of streaky bacon (they use a different cut of pig for their bacon) sadly the only way to bring bacon through customs is either illegally or in a can. I have yet to find canned bacon. well i found bacongrill, which is not actually anything like bacon, though Foxfur and MDF liked it well enough. This year i plan to take a can of marmite GOLD, which is basically sparklepony marmite.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby edbrez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:05 am

graidawg wrote:Oh yea i forgot to mention MDF precooks the bacon and with a truly unbelievable amount of self control does not eat most of (or indeed any) of it while cooking, i literally had to leave the room after about 5 minutes.

Edbrez i should mention American bacon is nothing like british bacon, and even less like Irish. Its a kind of streaky bacon (they use a different cut of pig for their bacon) sadly the only way to bring bacon through customs is either illegally or in a can. I have yet to find canned bacon. well i found bacongrill, which is not actually anything like bacon, though Foxfur and MDF liked it well enough. This year i plan to take a can of marmite GOLD, which is basically sparklepony marmite.


All I can say about American food production is
Image

I may be a bit paranoid here , but thats the voices talkin' I guess :lol:
Still though think i'll avoid meat when i'm over in US
Irish food produce is best in the world for traceability and I always shop locally
I know the people that provide me with my BACON :)

Marmite!!! No thanks
U either love it, or hate it.... and I just can't get used to it sorry
Does the "Gold" make a difference?
How do you feel about this stuff
Image
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
User avatar
edbrez
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Location: Ireland
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby edbrez » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:25 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
edbrez wrote:
graidawg wrote:Hi Ed, what i ate on the 2 times i've been so far.

pre cooked bacon and pre boiled eggs for breakfast.
noodles with jerky at some point in the day
some sort of power bar usually

chilli on chilli cook off day (barbie death camp)
pizza on pizza day (barbie death camp)
A fantastic stroganoff (courtesy of swish embassy)
spag bol (swish embassy again)
MARMITE
beer and bloody marys (vitamins in them)
blue gatorade

its amazing how un hungry i get out there, usually all i crave is pickles, slim jims and bacon

Oh yes olives, which i despise off playa - still do i bought some when i got back to london and they are filthy balls of nastiness.

must not forget the cherries at swish embassy ( well they looked like cherries)



Ah graidawg you're being spoilt.... What about self reliance? :lol:
i think I'm joining Stag camp if they'll have me, I really wanna be as self sufficient as possible, while having the freedom to volunteer in lamplighters occationally and Temple Guardians.
i might come for tea some evening though if you'll have me over at Barbie Death Camp for a yarn or two
We can always finish a bottle of rum or whiskey, whatever takes your fancy... :P


Bwahahahahahahaha, just catching up to this. Howdy EdBrez nice-to-meet-you. Graidawg is not being spoiled. 8) He is enmeshed in a network. Dunno what he's done for the Swishers but I personally ply him with bacon & eggs etc in return for heavy lifting and entertainment. And you sir or ma'am are quite welcome to take "tea" in our hut any time you find us. There is always booze and usually something to eat. 8)

Grai you forgot to mention the ePlaya Meet & Greet dinner. The BDC village Pancake Pork-Out is of course a secret. 8)

Oh and EdBrez, we have bookoo assorted Europans at Barbie Death Camp but I don't recall meeting any Irish there. If you get an invite from Doc Pyro please at least consider it. It's a big village with lots of freedom and many of us volunteer out.



MyDearFriend, thank you for your loveliness :D
i will surely make it my solemn effort to make it to your wonderful camp for a spot of tea "I will have rum/whiskey on my person most days :) "
Graidawg can atteste to our (British and Irish) dependance on the humble tea bag "of the liquid variety of course"
I kinda of have made my bed regards my camping arrangements to be honest, maybe I will change my mind, but for now I'm happy to plan as I am doing for now. I just want to be free to volunteer with the two options that really interest me, lamplighters and temple guardians. I'd hate to let people down in camp for chores and whatever necessary tasks that may need doin' during the week. I have a desire to volunteer possibly 2 days with each option, maybe more depending on how I get on.
Edbrez is indeed a Sir, last time I checked... and you MyDearFriend can call me Eddie if you wish :P
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
User avatar
edbrez
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm
Location: Ireland
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby jcliff » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:20 pm

Almonds! Great for on-the-go food and lots of protein!

I was gifted an ice-cold plum last year and I almost blacked-out it was so good (although it could have been the JD.)

This past year, for the first time I made the rounds of some food camps....grilled cheese, smores, sno cones, etc. I highly reccomend checking them out. A little something for breakfast, a random snack in the afternoon, and I'm good until dinner.
User avatar
jcliff
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:56 am
Location: Sollitt, Illinois
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:45 pm

I think that organic, non-factory farm meat is available in Reno, although I'm going to defer to locals on where to buy it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37412
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Food: What's good/bad?

Postby Eric » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:16 pm

graidawg wrote:Edbrez i should mention American bacon is nothing like british bacon, and even less like Irish. Its a kind of streaky bacon (they use a different cut of pig for their bacon) sadly the only way to bring bacon through customs is either illegally or in a can. I have yet to find canned bacon. well i found bacongrill, which is not actually anything like bacon, though Foxfur and MDF liked it well enough.



You could always look for an American producer of British-style bacon & order from them. Of course, it would take almost a full 30 seconds of googling... :lol:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
User avatar
Eric
Moderator
 
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:45 pm
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

PreviousNext

Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: pink and 0 guests