CHRISTMAS TICKETS?

Want to talk about tickets? You've come to the right place

Re: CHRISTMAS TICKETS?

Postby Martiena » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm

All of life's a stage, and we are but the waiters....bad, very bad,not funny.
You know, I stopped waiting for most things in life. Burning man, I'm so hooked, it opened my eyes in many ways.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

- George Bernard Shaw
Martiena

Burning Since: 2011

Postby BAS » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:48 pm

It's about time for the "What's the condition of the playa?" thread to start up somewhere, isn't it? :P
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby trilobyte » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:29 am

Martiena - waiting's not terrible, just don't obsess over it. Kill time working on camp or art planning, the info will be released soon enough.

BAS - I think I saw one or two conditions posts already. It's rained, it's snowed (though I'm not sure if a shallow lake (which we desperately need) has formed up yet. They're having some kind of 'snow on the playa' party in Second Life at Burn2 (the virtual regional group), on the 15th I think.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BAS » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:50 am

I poked around on the virtual playa earlier this year, but never seem to time it right to get there when other folks are there. (I managed to get stuck in the Santa's Workshop thing and finally had to teleport elsewhere to get out. Oh, and get stuck in the toilet of one of the porta-pottey's. Logged out while sitting on it, and, when I logged back in latter, SL had me standing-- in the middle of the toilet.)

Sounds liken the (Real Life) playa had its first snow before us folk in southern Wisconsin, then.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby Nipple » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:04 am

Shambala wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:i thought it was hannukah sales, and you had to show proof of, um....

Don't you shower with a raincoat on?

Raincoat is new. I always called it a "turtleneck".
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:13 am

Nipple wrote:
Shambala wrote:
Roberto Dobbisano wrote:i thought it was hannukah sales, and you had to show proof of, um....

Don't you shower with a raincoat on?

Raincoat is new. I always called it a "turtleneck".

*runs to find a mohel*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:17 pm

screw that, go out and find a Goyle...
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Ratty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:47 am

I bought the high priced ticket last year but WOW!! Not this year. I hope they still have the 'snail mail' option on opening day.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Humin » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:36 am

Ratty wrote:I bought the high priced ticket last year but WOW!! Not this year. I hope they still have the 'snail mail' option on opening day.

A fair point. I was expecting to spend $300-$400, this would set me back a little. What do the vets think? Are you worried enough to shell out an extra few bills to secure a ticket?
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Postby AntiM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:29 am

I'm not. Just can't afford even one presale this year. Hoping the first come first served will work for the two I require. Oh crap, I need three. Damn. Last minute drop out third party tickets, yeah, that will have to do.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TT120 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:55 am

I can't afford the pre-sale either so I will just have to try and get in on the main sale or wait for the last minute and get them off Craigslist. Luckily, I'm only 5 hours away from the Playa so I could even wait till after TTITD starts, get the tix real cheap, and still make it there in time.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Colonel Monk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:15 am

I don't know about you guys but $650 Presale seems out of line, and is rather foreboding regarding the regular ticket price.

Up to $390 last year, what, $500 this year?

OTOH, At least they aren't doing the lottery debacle again this year. I'm gonna have to take opening day off from work though....
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby BAS » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:18 am

$650 is higher than my monthly rent, so I'll just have to wait and see what the other prices are, and if I have a decent source of income by that time.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:30 am

Colonel Monk wrote:I don't know about you guys but $650 Presale seems out of line, and is rather foreboding regarding the regular ticket price.

I'm sure they are priced significantly higher than the regular sale tickets. The foreboding is just your mind fucking with you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby cammi hudson » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:33 pm

At $650 for these "pre sale" tickets I stand a good chance at getting a low income ticket if these are the prices for next years event. Last Year low income were $160 this year maybe $300 for low income?
cammi hudson

Camp Name: The Outback 2012 - Barbie Death 2013

Postby trilobyte » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:47 pm

Last year's pre-sales were $420, only $30 more than the regular price. In the wake of last year's main sale, many indicated that they were going to jump on the pre-sale just to hedge their bets. Personally, I see this price to be intended as a deterrant. Other tickets will be substantially less, set your sights on January 4th for details on regular and low income ticket programs.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dr Helix » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:48 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Colonel Monk wrote:I don't know about you guys but $650 Presale seems out of line, and is rather foreboding regarding the regular ticket price.

I'm sure they are priced significantly higher than the regular sale tickets. The foreboding is just your mind fucking with you.

I think this is supply and demand working. Why should the the regular price tix drop significantly? No problems in selling them last year so up it goes. Last year it was $420- Presale, $390-top tier regular. This year $650- Presale, ________top tier regular. You are all welcome to fill in the blank but I am already on record at $500. Would love to be wrong though.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby vargaso » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 pm

If I see anyone who was active in the ticket discussion last year on these here boards freak out this year, I'm going to punch you in the nose via my keyboard. We all know by now that the ticket thing will work itself out once again.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby graidawg » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:25 pm

personally this could be the final nail in my hopes to go in 2013. i too suspect that ticket prices are going to jump significantly, if we are looking at a 50% increase in presale then its reasonable to look at the same in normal tickets, of course if they drop the tiers and average then its about $320 x 150% = $480 (£320ish) still significantly less than the presale price but again a hell of a jump in cost. add that to the ever increasing airfare (about £650 last year) it could well be over £1000 just to get there. thats without the other associated costs of getting from airport to event, food, water, booze and incidentals. Burning Man is rapidly becoming a playground for the rich, with BMorgs endorsement of plug n play style camping last year it looks like the cargo cult will now include those of us too poor to go hoping for the return to the home we once knew
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby pink » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:41 pm

I was just on the ticketing forum, and there are references to direct distribution tickets, an 'OMG' sale in August and a bunch of other stuff. I thought perhaps these references were from last year, but the post dates are December, and the OMG sale refers to happening in August 2013.

So WTF? I feel like I'm excavating bits of info from all over the website. Trilo, do you know anything else?
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby vargaso » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:19 pm

pink wrote:I was just on the ticketing forum, and there are references to direct distribution tickets, an 'OMG' sale in August and a bunch of other stuff. I thought perhaps these references were from last year, but the post dates are December, and the OMG sale refers to happening in August 2013.

So WTF? I feel like I'm excavating bits of info from all over the website. Trilo, do you know anything else?

I'm assuming the "OMG sale" is referring to all the people in August who suddenly go, "OMG I can't afford to go/OMG I just got a new job and can't get the time off/OMG I need to sell these tickets fast," which of course happens every year and results in a glut of tickets for sale, even (especially) last year. Not an official sale, but even more predictable.

I predict the same will happen once again. I also predict regular tickets will cost the same as last year. You heard it here first. I'm never wrong.
vargaso

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Suburbanoya

Postby Ratty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:10 pm

I have to agree with you Vargaso. I don't anticipate a big jump in price. They are just trying something different with the high priced pre-sale tickets. (I hope you all put $10,000 to $20,000 down as your yearly income on the census.)
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby trilobyte » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Pink - nothing I can share. Set your calendar for January 4th.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lucky420 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Agreeing with ratty and vargaso. Way to early to start whining or panicking...

((Group hug))
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Colonel Monk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:30 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Yer right - been watching too many 12/21/12 documentaries I guess...

I just remembered last year the reg price tix were $30 less than the presale, so I suppose my mind was right to choke a little.
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby Colonel Monk » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:38 pm

Dr Helix wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

I think this is supply and demand working. Why should the the regular price tix drop significantly? No problems in selling them last year so up it goes. Last year it was $420- Presale, $390-top tier regular. This year $650- Presale, ________top tier regular. You are all welcome to fill in the blank but I am already on record at $500. Would love to be wrong though.

Fer sure - guns N butter. If they sold those tix for $420 this year they'd all be sold in 5 minutes I reckon. At $650, this isn't *as* likely to happen.

Surely I don't expect them to go down in price, but I sure hope it to be less than $500.

I hear you guys about the freaking out. Not only is it too early, but by the time the gamers last year started to sell their tickets there seemed to be plenty to go around.
dust.
Colonel Monk

Postby maladroit » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:44 am

I'll actually be a little surprised if all 3,000 of those tickets are sold. The extra two million dollars would definitely look nice in BMORG's stockings, but I think most burners will realize that they'll have a chance later.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby firasfayyad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:47 am

I have a feeling that those 3000 tickets will not all sell, I think that the ORG is waiting for this answer to determine if they are gonna put those two million in the sock and then how much they need to price the main sale tickets at to allign/cover all the submitted budgets.
I have purchased 4 pre sale tickets last year because I was one of those who freaked out that I will not get a ticket in the lottery and some of my friends will not either.
And I regret that decision,, we all know what was the result of that and what ended up happening.
I am not buying a ticket in the presale, I don't think I'm a buying a presale ticket ever again. I'll take my chances :)

Wow I can't think of many organizations that get payed 2 million $ for a service or a product or an experience that they provide 9 months later.. I thought it was the other way around these days no ? oh I forgot to add ---Deadline of purchase provided----
Firas Fayyad
firasfayyad

Postby shroom » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:08 am

If the tickets are jumping up a lot----which it looks like they will----it will also make it harder for me to attend. I have to travel 2 days each way and that ump in price is my gas money and hotel money.

I hope it's better that it's looking.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; Isaiah 43:2
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Dr Helix » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:21 am

maladroit wrote:I'll actually be a little surprised if all 3,000 of those tickets are sold. The extra two million dollars would definitely look nice in BMORG's stockings, but I think most burners will realize that they'll have a chance later.

With all respect, think of all the burners who spend TENS of thousands of dollars on the best RV's, food, costumes, etc. Do you really think that a $130.00 jump in price to ensure they have tix is going to deter them? Hardly. Those tickets will be sold right away. Burning Man is counting on last year's panic about tix to feed this year's demand. The gap between haves and have nots grows larger. I will say this. I also bought in the pre-sale last year and was glad I did, but will not this year. Why? Because last year showed me that there will always be tickets to those who want them. Just look at the panic selling last August as hundres of tickets were sold at or BELOW market value. Supply and demand.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Tickets Discussion