Goggles - What do YOU use?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.

Re: Goggles - What do YOU use?

Postby Rice » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Something tells me that even after all these redundant threads by the OP (WHAT DO I NEED IN MY FIRST AID KIT? WHAT DO I NEED IN MY TOOL KIT? WHAT KINDA GOGGLES? BACKPACK? SHOES? HAS ANYONE EVER WORN SHORTS ON THE PLAYA ?).. that it will all be forgotten by next June.. and we can all hope at least that the search function will be discovered by then.

:idea:

One only needs to use google: just add the word "eplaya" to any query and pasa!! -- answers...

aka: "eplaya best goggles" or "eplaya shade structure ideas" etc.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby peyote2004 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:34 pm

stretch80 wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:Something tells me that even after all these redundant threads by the OP (WHAT DO I NEED IN MY FIRST AID KIT? WHAT DO I NEED IN MY TOOL KIT? WHAT KINDA GOGGLES? BACKPACK? SHOES? HAS ANYONE EVER WORN SHORTS ON THE PLAYA ?).. that it will all be forgotten by next June.. and we can all hope at least that the search function will be discovered by then.

:idea:

One only needs to use google: just add the word "eplaya" to any query and pasa!! -- answers...

aka: "eplaya best goggles" or "eplaya shade structure ideas" etc.

Nope... thinks won't be forgotten. I'm a 'list' person. I tend to plan things obsessively. I've been reading the replies for my 3 threads a adding some things to my lists . . . Including my Christmas list that I will be giving my sister in a couple of weeks. Things like goggles and stuff for a tool kit are useful inexpensive items that my nephews can buy as gifts vs the usual slippers and PJs I usually receive. However, if I put goggles on it, without being very specific, I'll end up with Ski goggles.

As for doing a search ... I DID. I found several threads mentioning goggles. I chose to start my own, rather then waste several hours reading all of them to piece it together. I'm not just interested in the type of goggles people use, but their specific experiences with the ones they've chosen. And quite frankly, if you feel my thread is redundant, don't reply to it.

For the helpful people out there ... Thanks :)
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.
peyote2004

Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: PolyParadise

Postby Ratty » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:45 pm

I'm putting ski goggles on my wish list. To each their own.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:14 pm

send year with skydiving goggles, i tried snowboarding goggles aviator/steampunk goggles and biker goggles then went back to my clear skydiving goggles or nothing - squinting does work in a minor storm perfectly well (with shades)
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby danibel » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:43 pm

graidawg wrote:send year with skydiving goggles, i tried snowboarding goggles aviator/steampunk goggles and biker goggles then went back to my clear skydiving goggles or nothing - squinting does work in a minor storm perfectly well (with shades)

Thanks for the tip on skydiving googles! It looks like I may be able to find a pair that would fit over my regular glasses. Nice.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 pm

To add:

Got some GI desert goggles for $12 at a surplus store in Oregon, still in the OD box with a clear lens, a black lens and a lens cover. Swapped out my old fashioned burner goggles during the dust storm on Friday and the difference was amazing. Next time, I'll buy two pairs of goggles... one for daytime, with a spare lens, and one for night with same. That way I don't have to swap lenses, just goggles. I'll probably only take them out in a real dust storm.

Also, RainX is Godlike on both your windshield and glass lenses. Not sure about plastic, but, stuff doesn't stick to the surface. If you put it on the windshield of a jeep and go mudding, the whole jeep will by muddy except where the RainX is.
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:03 am

ZaphodBurner wrote:To add:

Got some GI desert goggles for $12 at a surplus store in Oregon, still in the OD box with a clear lens, a black lens and a lens cover. Swapped out my old fashioned burner goggles during the dust storm on Friday and the difference was amazing. Next time, I'll buy two pairs of goggles... one for daytime, with a spare lens, and one for night with same. That way I don't have to swap lenses, just goggles. I'll probably only take them out in a real dust storm.

Or have a day bag and a night bag, if feasible. There's overlap for day or night, but that way, there's less work swapping out items, and therefore less chance of forgetting something. (You can sharpie the list of what you want on the inside, if there's a good spot.)

I do keep a flashlight in both bags though, 'cause that's the one thing I'm miserable without if I'm roaming with my day bag for too long.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby EmilyD » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:42 am

Savannah wrote:
Or have a day bag and a night bag, if feasible. There's overlap for day or night, but that way, there's less work swapping out items, and therefore less chance of forgetting something. (You can sharpie the list of what you want on the inside, if there's a good spot.)

I do keep a flashlight in both bags though, 'cause that's the one thing I'm miserable without if I'm roaming with my day bag for too long.

Savannah, we did the Day & Night bag thing for the first time and it really works great! If not for that we'd have ended up out in the hinterlands without proper equipment especially because so many adventures start with so little lead time. We each bought 2 pair of goggles and had night lenses in one pair, day lenses in the other...in matching bags.
EmilyD

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Savannah wrote:I wear the GI issue Sun/Wind/Dust goggles. Big view, decent seal, comfortable on the face. The pair I bought came with a dark green lense for day, and a clear lense for night. I travel with a small wooden ruler that I use as a lever to pop the "button" on the goggles that allows the swap of the lenses.

I usually leave the clear lense in though, nowadays, because if it's a small or short duststorm 1) sometimes my sunglasses are enough, and 2) even with the sun out, the clear lense is sometimes workable (because of the slight shielding effect of the top ridge of the goggles). But one might as well have both lenses because the spare barely takes up any space.

I would like to believe that the wooden ruler is used for a much more fun activity and its side job is to pop the button. Now that I think of it, "pop the button" sounds so dirty. Maybe that is the primary function of the ruler. :lol:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Milayna » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:08 pm

Like Stretch80 I use BMX goggles, though mine have a clear lens so they are useful at night as well. I was really happy with them, good seal, and little to no fogging even when I wore them for a long stretch of time. Plus they were only 20ish dollars on amazon!! It's true that you probably won't have to wear them very often, but when it gets really dusty you'll want a working pair for sure. 8)
Milayna

Postby Ratty » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Lately I've been finding a lot of goggles at car-boot sales. Goggles attached to a hard hat. A combo face mask/goggles made for paint ball. A pair on ebay that sells for $15 retail (I got em for a buck with free shipping). AND my favorite, some pink snow goggles with shaded lenses. When can I tell if I have enough?
Ratty

Postby BBadger » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Ratty wrote:Lately I've been finding a lot of goggles at car-boot sales. Goggles attached to a hard hat. A combo face mask/goggles made for paint ball. A pair on ebay that sells for $15 retail (I got em for a buck with free shipping). AND my favorite, some pink snow goggles with shaded lenses. When can I tell if I have enough?

The real question we should be asking is: why do you think there ever is "enough"?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rice » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 pm

Milayna wrote:Like Stretch80 I use BMX goggles, though mine have a clear lens so they are useful at night as well. I was really happy with them, good seal, and little to no fogging even when I wore them for a long stretch of time. Plus they were only 20ish dollars on amazon!! It's true that you probably won't have to wear them very often, but when it gets really dusty you'll want a working pair for sure. 8)

Mine came with two sets of lenses: clear and tinted
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Zhust » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:27 am

I went with swim goggles this year (these). I bought them because they were clear with UV protection (I think all polycarbonate is, but I bought one with specific UV claims). I only use goggles when there is a dust storm. They kept my eyes pristine but they did fog (a few seconds pulled away was all it took to clear them in that dry atmosphere.) In the past I've used BMX goggles (pretty much ski goggles with clear lenses) but the fine dust would get through the foam and fog the insides making it look like the dust storm never ended.

I recommend the swim goggles if you only wear goggles when you're getting your face blasted with dust.

Of course, this was the year that "the thing I totally forgot" was my stack of bandanas. I did find two: I gave one away and used the other all week (although it was nylon and not very effective). I like to fold them in half and tie the folded edge around my neck (which I think is the typical style) then put the open corner on the back of my neck to keep the sun off it (until I need it for the dust).
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Sail Man » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:19 pm

BBadger wrote:
Ratty wrote:Lately I've been finding a lot of goggles at car-boot sales. Goggles attached to a hard hat. A combo face mask/goggles made for paint ball. A pair on ebay that sells for $15 retail (I got em for a buck with free shipping). AND my favorite, some pink snow goggles with shaded lenses. When can I tell if I have enough?

The real question we should be asking is: why do you think there ever is "enough"?

I'm with you Badger, every year I seem to accumulate more goggles for the collection. I'm just hoping I don't become the Imelda Marcos of goggles.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Ratty » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:24 pm

I collect em. I bring. I gift em. Works for me.

If, (when), we have a serious dust attack I won't have anything with me. That's ok. The strangers I take refuge with will become my new best friends. 90% of the time goggles are a fashion accessory.
Ratty

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Savannah wrote:
Mrpatatomoto wrote:Like Savannah I use Military surplus SWD goggles, may not be pretty but they work. This year I was lazy and bought a second pair so I had one with the clear lenses and one with the tinted lenses and didnt have to switch them out, till a friend broke hers so I gave her my second pair that is. They work, they're cheap, you have the option of tinted lenses, they just aren't pretty if form matters more than function to you.

The funny thing about this . . . is that I think the military goggles look the best on me out of any pair I've ever worn. :lol:

I did color the frames with some "Rub & Buff" craft paint . . .

You look good in anything! You're welcome....and Happy Thanksgiving! :D
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby moonrise » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

[quote="RedHeaven"]I have adored these for years:
http://www.cglasses.com/styles/allstarkit.htm
[img]
http://www.cglasses.com/Images/pics/AllStarSM.jpg[/img]

They fit over glasses, and have day and night lenses. THey are super comfortable. quote]

I ordered a pair of the ALLSTARS and they're great! Thanks RedHeaven!

I also have a fuckton of ski and various googles collected from years of snow sports and such. Usually used ski goggles are dirt cheap. I'd look for clear, rose, grey/green, yellow lenses and such. If I had to pick two colors for lenses I'd go with rose for day and clear for night.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Ahahahaha!

Happy Thanksgiving. :D
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby teardropper » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:45 am

Now that it's been raining on the playa we may be in for some better conditions. That said, it'll probably be the dustiest year ever. In that case, bring all your cool goggles, but go to your army store and get the GI issue dust/wind /sand desert goggles that will fit over most regular glasses and DO seal out the dust from serious whiteouts. I think style is in function in BRC, so these are high style. And less than $15.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby TomServo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:48 am

Found these replacement lenses for those 50mm cup style cutting goggles.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ratty » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:07 am

Thanks for reminding me Teardropper. I want to search for the local army/navy. Ours closed years ago. Can't wait to try new goggles.
Ratty

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:58 pm

TomServo - are those etchings fairly translucent when you're wearing them?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby 9ah » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm

I bought the $10 pair that was on sale while I was shopping for stuff. They survived this year and will be headed back out next year as well.

They served as a proper headband most of the time, but they worked when used.
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 am

trilobyte wrote:TomServo - are those etchings fairly translucent when you're wearing them?

Haven't tried em yet. I imagine most of them are a peripheral blur. Like having dirty glasses. My safety glasses at work always have something on them, so I imagine I'm used to it. Ordering some today.

TomServo

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:50 am

TomServo wrote:
trilobyte wrote:TomServo - are those etchings fairly translucent when you're wearing them?

Haven't tried em yet. I imagine most of them are a peripheral blur. Like having dirty glasses. My safety glasses at work always have something on them, so I imagine I'm used to it. Ordering some today.

Try progressive bifocals. Talk about blurr.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby TomServo » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:56 am

Got my lenses today. The Empire lenses and the Targeting Lenses aren't too bad. The Cthulhu Lenses may drive me mad after a while. But, maybe that's the whole point!

TomServo

Postby edbrez » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Anyone have any experience with skydiving goggles on the playa?
Thinking these and a shemagh (possibly bringing a few shemaghs just as a suprise gift to those in need in a dust storm)
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" Dr Johnson
edbrez

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Howzit

Postby maladroit » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Those vents will inject dust directly into your eyeballs. Plug them up and enjoy the blind spot, I guess?

My military goggles worked great on the one dusty night during the week, and my motorcycle sunglasses were good enough for daytime occasional fluff from mutant vehicles etc. You'll probably not wear goggles for more than an hour at a time, and cutting down the dust by 75% is better than no goggles. The motorcycle sunglasses breathed around the foam eye cups a lot, which prevented fogging up. I'd just hold them on tighter with one hand for a minute or two if the dust kicked up.
maladroit

Burning Since: 2012

Postby graidawg » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:47 pm

i use the skydiving goggles without a vent, by far my favorite for nighttime as they are clear, daytime i generally use sunglasses and squinting. I may rethink that plan in 2013
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

PreviousNext

Return to Clothing & Playawear