Mutant skateboards

Planning to build and bring a mutant vehicle? Talk about your plans and recruit crew members here.

Mutant skateboards

Postby Theraplst » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 pm

On the official mutant vehicle criteria page I found this in regard to motorized skateboards:

Small Motorized Skateboards
Though not an encouraged means of transportation, small, stand-up (no seat), one-person style “skateboards on wheels” (e.g. Go-Peds) are allowed at Black Rock City. We encourage you to use an electric model, one with a muffler, or other style that does not create that loud "buzzzzzz", which many feel detracts from the event. These are motor vehicles, so riders must obey the same driving rules as other vehicle drivers. Decorating these and/or mutating these scooters is strongly preferred. (A lot of people would like to see these noisy things banned, but we've avoided just making "one more rule" and instead ask owners of such vehicles to operate them with respect!)

My question: Do these need to be registered with the DMV?

also, Anyone with experience bringing these, what types of motors have your used for yours? I plan on building one from scratch for this year.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Re: Mutant skateboards

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:46 pm

Well, you are not asking me, but I am one of the folks who would like that awful noise to disappear from BRC. :(
An electric one would be more agreeable. Just make sure you keep the speed down when anywhere near people. Thank you.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby lucky420 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

I believe that if thre is no seat then it does not need to be registered. I may be wrong though...

The noise doesn't bother me. I mean it zips by and then it's gone.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Theraplst » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 am

Elliot wrote:Well, you are not asking me, but I am one of the folks who would like that awful noise to disappear from BRC. :(
An electric one would be more agreeable. Just make sure you keep the speed down when anywhere near people. Thank you.

I'm also here to hear these complaints to take them into consideration in my build, so your criticism is welcome. Thanks.

lucky420 wrote:I believe that if thre is no seat then it does not need to be registered. I may be wrong though...

The noise doesn't bother me. I mean it zips by and then it's gone.

Good to know, thanks.
They call me simba
Theraplst

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:27 am

I'm not a fan of the gas-powered things either. It may be possible that someone out there's got one with a muffler, but in my experience on the playa they're grating and annoying out in deep playa, and ten times worse in the city. I think the people who get them just may not be thinking - in the default world there's grass and trees and other things to absorb and deflect the sound, plus competing noises from the rest of urban life. Out on the playa the sound just seems to bounce off sound-reflective surfaces and carry great distances out in the open.

Offhand, I'm not sure whether licensing is required. Read the info on the DMV's mini-site, and if you're still not sure, send them an email (contact info's on the pages).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Jackass » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:11 pm

Took a go ped the first year, I hadn't done my homework. It sucked, annoying for even the operator and not very stable. I was booed, shamed, glared and yelled at, at every turn. F-ING NEWBIE!! I abandoned it after the first day in favor of a campmate's unused bike. Be prepared to eat shit, especially after dark.

Ride a bike or walk that way you have a chance to take in the sights, sounds and scents of the city. It's much more enjoyable and relaxing.
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby JStep » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Not sure if it helps, but there are also giudelines ("rules") for sailboarding.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Return to 2013 Mutant Vehicles