Belgium

Belgium

Postby Shutsen » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi all!

I just registered for the Burning Man forum, so let me introduce myself:
I am a 26 year young Belgian, travelling through North-America. I am a big fan of Burning man and would really want to go to the 2013 Event.
Last edition (2012) I tried to get tickets online but was not able to buy any. This edition I want to be there, whatever it takes!
I heard I can also join a community (pay around 200 dollars) that provides shelter, water, food, ...?

Thank you!

Geert
Shutsen

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Belgium

Postby teardropper » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Welcome aboard this Freak Show! Keep watching for tickets. We can hardly wait, and we mean that. Have the deepest respect for those that come from across The Big Water, ANY big water, to make it to BRC. hope you make it.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:20 pm

Shutsen wrote:I heard I can also join a community (pay around 200 dollars) that provides shelter, water, food, ...?

Geert
What you are talking about is joining a camp. Here are three pages of information on joining camps. I would only want you in my camp if you wanted to be there. And I would expect you to work--in front, either in the bar or in the Doom Dome running interrogations. (Well, not running them, but assisting in same.) For that, you'd be expected to behave as Soviet Army Soldier. And I'd expect you to help behind the scenes with the kitchen and mooping (cleaning up trash) and whatever else it takes to run a camp. Somehow, we'll have a shade structure (the most important part of camp infrastructure, in my view.) Food is done by rotation. Water is provided by individuals themselves.

So, what I'm trying to say, is that it, in most cases, it's not simply a matter of handing over $200. And I wouldn't want you in my camp unless you wanted to be a soviet soldier stranded in the afghan desert. Because in Apokiliptika, we exist to provide experiences to the citizens of BRC, not food to our campers.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi Geert! :D

TheCryptofishist gave you some very good advice.

Please also note that any camp you pay will still probably expect you to provide your own shelter. Shelter is not a benefit supplied by the average theme camp. (Shade usually is). You will probably still need to rent an RV to share, or bring a tent. A camp fee of $200 is more likely to get you (for example) shade, food & showers, or something like that. Fees and benefits--and the work you will have to put in--will vary from camp to camp. Everyone does it differently.

I would strongly recommend you meet other Belgian Burners, who will have advice for you:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_be.html

You may also want to join the general European list:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

Or countries neighboring Belgium:
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_index.html

Welcome!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:15 am

Welcome to eplaya!

What brings you to North America for travel? Work, Business, Family, evading arrest?
How long have you been here and plan to be here?

Hopefully you can find all the answers you're looking for on eplaya. Though, please look around for the answers to your questions, and if you can't find them, then feel free to ask.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Hille » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Hi Geert,

I'm Hille, 25 and from Antwerp! 2013 will be my first Burn too, so if you want to get together to talk, do research or perhaps even go together, just give me a yell! I will be travelling the south west in the 3 weeks prior to BM.

Cheers!
Hille

Burning Since: 2013

Postby jkisha » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby burner von braun » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi Shutsen, welcome.. and keep reading the Burning Man website and here on eplaya, and you will learn a lot. Soon you will gain a better understanding of camping options so you can develop your plan to attend in 2013!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Return to Introduce Yourself!