Hello from Maine(rs)!

Hello from Maine(rs)!

Postby RobinSays » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Hello! My name is Robin. 2013 will be my first burn. I'm looking forward to reading these threads and gathering more info on how to get the most out of my first experience.

I am 25 years old and will be bringing about 6 other people from Maine with me.

Would love to hear from anyone in the New England region who plans on going in 2013....we're curious to hear how you plan on traveling to the Burn. Are you taking a flight and shipping boxes full of gear? Are you planning on making the trip via car? That's quite a road trip from Maine!

Thank you :)
RobinSays

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Hello from Maine(rs)!

Postby trilobyte » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi, RobinSays, welcome to ePlaya!

You may want to connect with some regional groups. You'll not only find out about events/happenings closer to your home, but you can connect with others facing the same hurdles and challenges you do. They may be able to give you ideas on anything from routes to take, companies to ship with or rent from, or you may end up being able to get in on some kind of rideshare/cargo-share that works for you and your friends. Good luck!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Be careful tying yourself to six other people. It's likely that some will bow out, what looks like a fun adventure in December can look like an insurmountable pile of problems and expense in June. It's a not un-common experience to find people who don't make it to their first burn for a couple of years because they're plans--or rather their companions--fall through.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Hola and hello...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby jkisha » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby illy dilly » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:09 am

Hey Robin,
Welcome to eplaya!

Before you decide on flying vs. driving consider how you plan to camp for the week, and how much time each of you can get off work.
Buying 6 plane tickets might cost the same amount as gas for driving all the way.
Last year and 2011 we did a little combo of driving and flying. Me and a few other people drove our RV and 95% of the gear, then a couple more folks flew into reno and just rented a car since their gear was all with us there wasn't much shopping they had to do in Reno or Fernley.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby TomServo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:24 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Be careful tying yourself to six other people. It's likely that some will bow out, what looks like a fun adventure in December can look like an insurmountable pile of problems and expense in June. It's a not un-common experience to find people who don't make it to their first burn for a couple of years because they're plans--or rather their companions--fall through.

Ditto~ Plan for all pitfalls!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Savannah » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Robin!

I have to admit . . . if I were coming from Maine, I would fly. :) I would make a merciless shopping list, fly in to Reno, pick up a box truck (to be both tent and shade), shop for a couple of hours at Reno's many stores, possibly sleep one night at a reasonably priced hotel, and drive the 2 hours to the playa. Why sleep first? Because shopping might take longer than one would imagine, especially as a new Burner . . . then add the minimum of 2 hours' drive (more if you're coming in on the same day as 50,000 others) plus at least 3-5 hours in line before you're even into the event, and another hour to find your camp or pick an open site.

Here are some threads that might interest you.

Box truck camping tips
viewtopic.php?t=35289

Cost and Logistics of Flying to Reno
viewtopic.php?f=286&t=52826&start=0

If you're a practiced road-tripper and can be gone from home the extra days it will take to drive both ways, well! You know your own mind.

As people have already said: plan for at least 50% of your friends to drop out of your plans before June. It's typical! The Burn can be intimidating and expensive, and people tend to fall by the wayside as the months pass.

Have a plan B that involves you going alone if absolutely necessary . . . or join a camp, and plan to meet up with them on the playa.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Return to Introduce Yourself!