Burning Plywood Art Piece?

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Burning Plywood Art Piece?

Postby jcliff » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 pm

I'm in the planning stages for an art piece to install in the Center Camp Cafe. It will be a 48" square of plywood with wooden shaker pegs installed. The plywood will be painted with non-toxic water based paint. The pegs will have 1,000 3" x 2" wooden tiles hanging from them on little strings. The tiles will be decorated with the hopes, prayers and wishes of our citizens with non-toxic marker and paint pens.

So my question is, is this plywood and non-toxic paint/marker piece ok to burn in the Center Camp Cauldron at the end of the Burn? Any screws for hanging will be out of it before burning. I know alot of plywood gets burned on playa, but I'm not sure it would be ok to do it at a public pyre.

Any thoughts or advice? Many thanks!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Re: Burning Plywood Art Piece?

Postby trilobyte » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Sounds cool! You should contact the installations@burningman.com - they handle all general questions about art installations. Tell 'em what you've told us. They'll either have an answer for you directly, or put you in touch with the right people (Earth Guardians, etc).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jcliff » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks Trilobyte. They got back to me right away with a big hell yeah! BettieJune suggested burning it in the Man fire after it falls....an even better idea.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby trilobyte » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:19 pm

Fantastic! And how cool would that be? Going up as part of the man fire, awesome!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:28 am

(((Jcliff))), that sounds so awesome. 8) What a great idea and thank you for doing that! Can't wait to see it!
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Return to Leave No Trace