Star Trek/SciFi camp?

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Star Trek/SciFi camp?

Postby Sync » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Looking around the playa, lasers, light shows and Sci Fi abound, along with the creative spirit and optimism Sci Fi has brought to popular culture. Yet, there is no specific camp for Sci Fi enthusiasts. For some of us older burners Star Trek was the first TV land glimpse of a future where creativity, tolerance and optimism counterbalanced the cultures of apocalyptic fears and banality. I have seen several Star trek Shuttle art cars on the playa, a smattering of Dr. Who and a few other Sci Fi projects, and am constructing a Trek art car myself for 2013. Anyone interested in participating in a Star Trek/Sci Fi camp in 2013? Perhaps several of the spaceship art car camps and the like could join together?
Sync

Re: Star Trek/SciFi camp?

Postby dragonpilot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:45 pm

Rather than going to all the trouble of trying to coordinate a scifi theme camp this year, just set a date and time for a Meet & Greet on the playa, see who shows up, and go from there...or go to all the trouble.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Look harder - every year I see plenty. Some with a general sci-fi theme, others rocking specific franchises. Star Trek, Star Wars, Barbarella, etc. For example my old camp, Space Island, had a running theme of space piracy (think Barbarella meets Pirates Of The Caribbean) - while I don't camp with them anymore they do an awesome job each year. In 2011 our neighbors were Magrathea, with a great Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy theme. I spent a bit of time over there helping them design a planet and drinking pan-galactic gargle blasters at their bar. For the last couple years Barber-Ella (Barbarella-themed hair salon camp) has been in the 9 o'clock plaza, I know there have been several other Barbarella camps over the years as well. For a couple years there was a guy doing a Star Wars theme camp and gifting light sabers (in hopes of recreating a big jedi battle on the playa). Three of my favorite mutant vehicles last year were the Death Star, the giant Dalek, and Space Island's Jabba barge. I think the Death Star crew even did a big Star Wars themed party on Thursday night.

Don't let any of that stop you, though, the playa could always use more. Personally I prefer original over using someone else's intellectual property, but whatever works for you.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:40 pm

vee ril be dere.
Attachments
astaroth_vril_kali_black_sun_dakini_valkyrie_succubus_goetia.jpg
astaroth_vril_kali_black_sun_dakini_valkyrie_succubus_goetia.jpg (61.58 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 am

trilobyte wrote:For a couple years there was a guy doing a Star Wars theme camp and gifting light sabers (in hopes of recreating a big jedi battle on the playa).

I ran across a setup this year where you could stand against a net with a lightsaber while a bunch of other people threw LED frizbees at you. It was hilarious/awesome seeing people flailing around trying to deflect the "laser blasts" coming at them.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:50 am

Make it so.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby BetaBox » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I find that it's best for me to drum to my own beat and be a loner; however, I would be down for a meet and great in 2014.
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 pm

I think Star Trek /Fisting camp.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:55 pm

pervert
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:pervert

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby TomServo » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:41 pm

There is a Star Trek camp...not sure the name...they were camped around 3-4 ish..if that jogs someones memory. Stopped by to ask directions to the nearest Star Wars camp. They weren't amused. But, had a nice conversation about their shuttle MV.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:42 pm

TomServo wrote:There is a Star Trek camp...not sure the name...they were camped around 3-4 ish..if that jogs someones memory. Stopped by to ask directions to the nearest Star Wars camp. They weren't amused. But, had a nice conversation about their shuttle MV.

:lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:pervert

Why was I hoping that was a link?
freak.
Ugly Dougly

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm

One year I was innocently riding my bike down one of the backstreets at night and was attacked by a 7 year old kid with a light saber...startled the beejeesus outta me!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:54 pm

(How does one delicately ask Dragonpilot on the condition of his seat afterwards?)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:26 am

Rule number : If you feel that you have to ask if anyone has done it before, then don't do it. You're probably doing it for the wrong reasons.

After this many years on the playa, everything has been done. But if an idea is burning its way through your soul, and you must make it happen, it doesn't matter if anyone has done it.

What the heck, make it "Upper Jurassic Park"; that would be fun.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:49 am

Well said, Dougly. :D

Savannah

Postby H.G.Crosby » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:52 pm

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Just last year it was Venice sinking...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Spyrext » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:16 pm

Hello from camp Magrathea! I would like to give my opinion on the theme of our camp, and how it was received as well as how I felt about it personally.

Burner since 2006. 2011 was the first year we (my trip buddy and I) tried a theme camp. As was mentioned, I did NOT want to follow something that had been done before. I had many creative ideas, but was overwhelmed with the response of our camp mates. To be said, the mates were almost ALL newbies! This is ok, but their vote may not have been the same. They were adamant about the Magrathea theme. I acquiesced, planned, and spent the time, and made the art (there were 4 pieces, all by myself.) I tried very hard to make participatory art. I was disappointed with the results. Only 3 people participated by the end of the week, and only ONE of those was a camp mate (out of 20!) It took me several months to get over it. I was angry, then sad, then I understood it was my fault for inviting observers, and not participants.

I invited the wrong people. They did not attend in 2012, but in 2013 they are talking about bringing an RV, more girls, and more alcohol, etc. I worry. I wanted to post about this. I thought the neighborhood was fantastic... the many space themes about! I made a lot of friends. My camp mates also had a good time, but their commitment must be matched by their passion, creativity, and willingness to participate, and it was not. I was upset.

2013? I'll be camping with old friends since 2006. A single tent, myself, my puke bucket, and my participation. I'm in the process of recycling/selling/trashing most things I brought in 2011 (and carried over from the years.) I don't think my situation is like most (I hope not!) but I know that from now on, my art is for art's sake. My participation, not my signage will be enough for 2013. Next year (2014) I'm going to try more art; something bigger, alone, and mid-playa!

My friends are good people, and I love them, but they didn't take any time to enhance the art I had tried so hard to bring to the playa and left for them. It was a gift, sure, and I understand my selfish attitude about wishing they would participate, but I can't help my feeling of rejection. In the end, it was all burned anyway, and that part DOES feel good.
Spyrext

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Savannah » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm

Welcome to eplaya, Spyrext! You can have an introductory thread in the Introduce Yourself forum if you want, or just come on in and make yourself at home.

This is unsolicited, but . . . I think it's really heathy that you learned something, even from a negative experience in collaborative art. You probably have a very specific vision, then & now, and if so, it's smart to acknowledge that and work mostly alone, delegate only very easily done things, or not expect miracles when you enlist others. Few will ever love your "baby" as much as you can. :)

Savannah

Postby aserendipity » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I do agree Spyrext; although my experience was not the same
burner forever and tattooed in my brain I have now given away my "stuff" tents etc. and may be able to morph into a new being
so where are you ?
aserendipity

Postby Spyrext » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I am in a fantastic place, to be honest. I know I sounded a bit negative in that last post, but the year"Rites of Passage" was entirely -that- for me! This year, again, I have my art, and another "baby" to bring to the playa. Nothing can come between a burner and his/her art! I will just make sure not to over-extend myself. Also of note, I think I made things too easy for the newbies, and I hope in 2013 they have their own "rite of passage" to the burn (eg: lack of shower! *evil grin*)

I'm still sci-fi as ever, but more mad-max and less hitch-hiker. My trip buddy and I used to hitch hike a bit (long time ago) so it had a different meaning for us (and so did the term "road warrior.") These days I'm checking all my blinkies and trying to pack in as much solar powered LED ooze as I can. I learned a lot that will only make the next big project even better managed and more to scale with my ambition.

Giving away stuff has been awesome! I don't even care what I paid or what it's worth or who will give me money or not! The big 9X12' tent? GONE! The playa tech? GONE! (except the bar, that's one of the few constants in my burner-life.) Also, I'm really looking forward to taking my time on the drive up there and back, to stop at some parks, eat some new food, and generally enjoy things the way a camp manager can't.

Nothing like a good burn to change your outlook on life. I've always thought of BM as a sort of "Hall of the Mountain King" scenario. The faeries aren't always very nice, but your time spent there can never be reproduced, and self-understanding is a mixed bag; full of insight and horror!

I just encourage my friends find their own path, and perhaps motivate them to bring something artistic next year. BM can change people, I hope for the best :) We'll see how many of us make it back there in 2013!
Spyrext

Burning Since: 2006

Return to 2013 Theme Camps