Talking Trash

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Discuss cleanup tips. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.
danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Talking Trash

Post by danibel » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I love the new LNT forum. Good idea.

I am looking for input from all different kinds of camps (small, medium, large, singles, and theme) regarding trash disposal and take away. I camp with a group of friends (ranging in size from 20 to 30 people). The last few years have had me thinking about changing our garbage set up. We have had a communal trash and recycling set-up with the understanding that people would take a bag when they left, and perhaps they have, but what seems to happen is that the last few people in camp end up with all the "left overs." And some of us have limited space to pack out the glass bottles from the bar and other big bags of garbage.

I was so mad Sunday morning with the condition of kitchen and the amount of trash that I took pictures of all the items left by people that vacated after the man burn, and created a "hall of shame" picture slide show to demonstrate what camp members left behind. I think people got my message at our after party. I proposed that we end the communal trash and recycling bags and make a policy that is basically - if you brought it, you take it home. Period. Some people said this could worsen the situation as people would leave trash on tables and in the community areas. I disagree, of course, as I keep a trash bag in my van and I fill it with my own trash and whatever moop I happen to pick up on my ventures. I bring a 5 gallon bucket with a tight lid for compost and this has definitely lowered the amount of wet trash, and I will continue to do this as a contribution to the kitchen and overall camp cleanliness.

Perhaps we could leave a bag for just aluminum cans (go to recycle camp) and paper goods that can be burned, but I fear other trash would just end up mixed in. I really do not want to become the trash enforcer but perhaps that is the only way to avoid being majorly pissed off on Sunday or Monday.

So how does your camp deal with trash? How do you ensure that some members are not left with huge bags and the end of the bar? Do you have a moop committee that sweeps camp daily? Do you have an enforcer that polices the trash and what people take when they leave? A sign up sheet for taking a number of trash bags in lieu of other camp duties? Communal trash? To each their own? Please share what works and what doesn't.
In dust we trust.

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Re: Talking Trash

Post by Aurelia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:42 pm

first of all I opened this message because I want to stifle my tendancy to talk trash
However now that I understand what we are discussing I hope to learn from you, as I think it is clear that there are some really stupid people around who consider nothing but their own moment. They trash constantly with complete disregard. Perhaps being at BRC will shed a light on their behavior.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Either everyone grows up, steps up, and responsibly handles trash collection as a group, or they deal with their own trash. And if they can't deal with their own trash (or other people's trash they find) then there are plenty of camps with red or yellow on the moop map they could join.

The harder problem is hiding your trash receptacle from John Q. Burner. We had a lot of people come up and make a beeline for the trash can before getting verbally tackled and sent on their way.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm

We MOOP and stay in top of trash all through the week. Those leaving early take a bag or three with them (depends on size of vehicle and available space). We rented a truck for the camp this year, and the lion's share ended up riding put with the truck (it wasn't a surprise). I'm happy with how campmates pitched in and shared the workload and responsibility.

We took the trash to the Save Mart on Keystone Ave. in Reno, which had an EXCELLENT setup and friendly staff when we came through on Tuesday afternoon. We'll definitely come back to them again next year, and will probably do a much better job of separating trash by category so we can help with recycling efforts when we get to Reno.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:31 pm

Forgot to add, this year we stepped up our plans with MOOP sticks (trash grabbers) and a magnetic rake, both of which helped us raise the bar quite a bit. We build stuff, so the mag rake helped us make sure no screws or other hardware got left behind. The MOOP sticks just made it much easier to go after little bits.

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Our camp clearly stated that in addition to dues, and other requirements, all camp members were expected to participate in daily MOOP patrols and to take at least 1 bag of camp trash home with them (in addition to their own trash). I find it works best to engage those departing directly; "how many bags can you take, 2 or 3?", and not accepting a weak reply. A reminder of that camp membership agreement usually convinces malingerers. People with sedans get plastic bottles crushed flat (no smell, etc). Years ago our MOOP Czar wrote member's names on each bag (having determined how many bags they could take, and not taking zero for an answer). RV's can always fit a few bags.

I double bag any that go inside my camper....(triple if there is obvious fluid, etc)
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm

I wasnt to say, moonrise really stepped up to the plate this year and basically filled his trailer with trash left by others this year- prolly 20 bags and it cannot have been fun for him unloading it all when he got home on his own.

at dread pirate barbie, MDF puts 3 hessian sacks by our monkey hut, one for burnables, one for aluminium cans and one for whats left. as hessian can be burnt it makes for easy disposable of the burnables.

barbie Death camp/village as whole was pretty good, with mooping daily visable from our space in the village and a group sweep a few times at the end of the week. with a few failures on peoples parts pack it out covered by the rest of us.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:17 pm

We separate out the aluminum cans and burnables as we go, and make runs to take them over as those containers fillup throughout the week.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm

trilobyte wrote:We separate out the aluminum cans and burnables as we go, and make runs to take them over as those containers fillup throughout the week.
Would a (crag's list) trash compacter be of any use.. Like crank up the gennie a few time a week.. Compacter paper bag and plastic sacks would make for a good haul out.. Just saying..

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:08 pm

Some sort of trash compactor would probably be very handy.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:43 pm

That might be an idea for a bigger camp or village. Our camp's not all that huge, and the amount of trash we make and take back home with us is pretty manageable.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:58 pm

I do not use oils on the playa and all wet trash is dried in net bags.. Remove all packaging and place in reusable containers. Compostabel wet wipes are found at Wal MArt in camping.. Under the Coleman brand. Strain food pure off water through a towel, Dry the towel in the wind. Wash in machine at home..

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 pm

you sound together Dude
maybe you should join our camp where it is way more radical

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 pm

unjonharley wrote:I do not use oils on the playa and all wet trash is dried in net bags.. Remove all packaging and place in reusable containers. Compostabel wet wipes are found at Wal MArt in camping.. Under the Coleman brand. Strain food pure off water through a towel, Dry the towel in the wind. Wash in machine at home..
I tried drying wet trash my first year. It worked better than not doing it at all, but the 5 gallon compost bucket with a tight lid seems to have resolved the need to worry about a drippy meshy mess. While on playa the compost lid doesn't have to be super tight and the foodstuffs seems to dry right in the bucket just fine. The big part is that it keep the trash bags from filling up with coffe grinds. I worry the bags will rip and holy crow what a mess that would be. People who bring paper plates usually put those in a burn bag, because I don't want them in the compost bucket (it would fill too quickly).

I think it was Bob that said the best trash bags are the ones that go in a compactor. They are super strong. I am going to pick up a box of those soon to pack away for next year.
In dust we trust.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:33 pm

I speak from a single camper. My haul out is in a 5gsl bucket. Another bucket from the pot and cat litter jugs for left over gray water.. A new evap system is in the works for this year..

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:44 am

We were the last ones out of BDV, it was kinda cool seeing the blank clean playa where we once stood the just day before.

I had pre-burners unload the 20 bags and two duct taped/tarped mummy-blobs (don't ask) at my house. Luckily I had 30 cans of extra 'ready to expire' credit with my curbside pick up..score!

BUT the bulk of the credit for the main trash (maybe 100 bags?) goes to two other men, they left earlier than we Dread Pirate Babries. Doc knows their names.

I learned LNT as a kid when I lived in a Mt Shasta "sort of' commune in the early 70's, same place was a backpack/survival camp...totally cool 3 year! experience. :shock:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:16 am

Who left the ladder in BDV? We ended up with it. Painted covered and old, but very servicable. I'm sure someone misses it.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 am

It actually belongs to me, but I bought another one. I had intended to gift it to the Village, since we're always in need of one. I'll pick it up, if that would be OK, from you in August.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 am

Excellent. There was a group of us MOOPing and there was some debate as whether to leave it or take it. Take it seemed prudent and we had a trailer.... so yes, we will bring it back and deliver it.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:39 pm

(((AntiM))) thanks, you & YourLarry were real lifesavers that last day.

Danibel, I dump my coffee grounds in my burlap burn bag. It's made from an old coffee bean sack so I figure it can handle it. The grounds dry real quick in that airy sack and burn just fine.

I use a LOT of paper towels, gosh, a spritz of vinegar water and a swipe with a paper towel will clean most any dish I've got with no grey water at all. Paper towels burn real quick, especially if they are greasy.

Moon if we had found that stash of bacon grease Monday night instead of Tuesday morning we might have burned that, too. 8) 8) 8)
"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Return to “Leave No Trace”