From the United Kingdom to Burning man!

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

From the United Kingdom to Burning man!

Postby Binaciousc » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:04 pm

Hello Burning man Fourm!

Me and my brother are planning on traveling from the UK to burning man next year, what i would like to ask is there anyone else traveling from the UK and what is the best way to do so?

Cheers

BinaciousC
Binaciousc

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Yes Now!

Re: From the United Kingdom to Burning man!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:04 pm

There are plenty of people from the UK who go to Burningman. The post prominent member of the board (is that an obscene description?) is a fellow named Graidawg, who lives in London.
People who attend from overseas, often find it good policy to have people who are already here help them in various ways.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby graidawg » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:12 am

theCryptofishist wrote:There are plenty of people from the UK who go to Burningman. The post prominent member of the board (is that an obscene description?) is a fellow named Graidawg, who lives in London.
People who attend from overseas, often find it good policy to have people who are already here help them in various ways.

thats not obscene fishy. not entirely accurate - but i'm not complaining

bina, I will try help you any way I can. first Welcome to eplaya, introduce yourself in the introduction thread, get to know the people on here read as much as you can stand try not ask obvious questions about food, shade or being a dj -these questions have been asked a zillion times and there is a thread on here to answer them (fishy is very good at listing useful threads, unlike me)

second read the survival guide on the main burning man page, and reread it. decide how you want to camp - tent or rv, with a theme camp or not. think about how much you can spend etc. if you can rent a car or not. really it takes a fair bit of planning to get home, but it is well well worth it.

join the regional burners page (euroburners for us i think) and subscribe to jack rabbit speaks, both invaluable for infornmation on tickets and whats going to be happenning.

oh and if someone on here seems to be being nasty or mean its VERY rarely personal, just sarcasm (snark) is a way of life on here. Any questions you are too shy to ask in public pm me (theres a little icon below my avatar) and i will try to direct you to the place to look if i can.

if you want to join a theme camp btw, Barbie Death Camp is the BEST DAMN CAMP ON THE PLAYA. other camps are available
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:03 am

Welcome to the board, Binaciousc!

Graidawg gave you some great advice. :) Meet your locals! They have loads of wisdom to share.

http://regionals.burningman.com/eu_uk.html
http://regionals.burningman.com/eu.html

But it really doesn't hurt to read up before you meet them, so they know you're serious.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby YuWey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:21 pm

Just as a heads up, add me to the list of UK-first-timers!

Hoping to be there 2013.

And a LOT of planning to go...
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Einstein
YuWey

Burning Since: 2013

Postby graidawg » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:23 pm

our numbers keep grrowing
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby TT120 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 pm

All newbies on the Playa have to bring me a bottle of Jameson's. :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: "No Adult Supervision" in BDV

Return to Transportation