Eric Socal Virgin

Eric Socal Virgin

Postby Humin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:11 am

Hey community, I decided last year to commit to a Burning Man experience, and admitted to myself that was a more realistic goal with more time to prepare. I've done moderate research, read every survival guide and FAQ available, lurked your forums for a while, and I will be attending Burning Man 2013. I'm trying to educate myself so when I go to BM everyone can have a better experience, and I understand this is the place to go. I have a lot of ideas, for costumes and camps and art projects. I have a lot of questions, but I want to get some opinions on this one.

Should I make/join a camp at Burning Man?

My concern is that the realities of making a camp might be too much for a virgin burner, no matter how prepared.
Humin

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Eric Socal Virgin

Postby lucky420 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 am

Nah, you can do it. Lots of virgins camp on their own or with friends their first time. Keep reading and asking, be well prepared...you'll be fine.

Or join a camp if you feel you must...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:30 am

Welcome to eplaya.

Camping solo or with a small group is a different experience than a theme camp so you may want to try it both ways (not in the same year).

I find that in a solo / small camp you spend much more time out and about meeting people, exploring, and doing stuff.

In a theme camp I find myself hanging around camp more socializing with camp mates.

Both are good - it just depends what you feel you will enjoy more, so your mileage may vary as everyone burns differently.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Humin » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks guys, I still haven't decided which route I'm going, but I'll be back, lurkin around for the next year.
Humin

Postby illy dilly » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Hey Humin,
Welcome to eplaya!
Wooo hoo! De-lurked!

The topic of Solo vs. theme camp has been discussed a few times.
I'd suggests that you google, "eplaya camp solo" or something along those lines.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Humin wrote:Hey community, I decided last year to commit to a Burning Man experience, and admitted to myself that was a more realistic goal with more time to prepare. I've done moderate research, read every survival guide and FAQ available, lurked your forums for a while, and I will be attending Burning Man 2013. I'm trying to educate myself so when I go to BM everyone can have a better experience, and I understand this is the place to go. I have a lot of ideas, for costumes and camps and art projects. I have a lot of questions, but I want to get some opinions on this one.

Should I make/join a camp at Burning Man?

My concern is that the realities of making a camp might be too much for a virgin burner, no matter how prepared.

Hi Eric!

It's not too much work for a virgin Burner to camp alone; they do it all the time. :) Whether or not you would make a success of it depends on your personality and skill level.

Have you camped much?
Can you pound your own rebar?
Do you like your independence, or do you want to be part of a group?

Recognize that even if you join a camp, they don't crave first and foremost to take care of you, but to provide the citizens of the city with a gift or an experience, so they will probably want you to have useful skills, a commitment to work a bit, and a camp fee. They will also want you to have read the Survival Guide--which you should do no matter what. A theme camp often provides shade and showers, or a meal plan, maybe some prestige as well, but they also impose a bit of responsibility on you.

There are also choices somewhere between "huge theme camp" and "solo". You can camp with a couple of friends, or camps like Orphan Camp or Stag Camp. (Those are no-fee camps with shade [usually] and togetherness, but no frills--and no obligations, other than "pick up after yourself mercilessly, and don't be a jerk.")

Stuff to think about. :)

Welcome to the board . . .
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Humin » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:39 am

Savannah wrote:Have you camped much?
Can you pound your own rebar?
Do you like your independence, or do you want to be part of a group?

1. Went camping a few times in my life, wouldn't call myself experienced.
2. I THINK I can pound rebar, it doesn't seem too complicated
3. Deep question, I'm not sure.

Savannah wrote:There are also choices somewhere between "huge theme camp" and "solo". You can camp with a couple of friends, or camps like Orphan Camp or Stag Camp. (Those are no-fee camps with shade [usually] and togetherness, but no frills--and no obligations, other than "pick up after yourself mercilessly, and don't be a jerk.").

I think I'd like a camp like that. I notice some people can have fun volunteering and some people can get the short end of the stick. I've heard a story of a guy working all week serving beer, another of a girl getting eight hour shifts cooking, they were each in one of the major theme camps. I think I'd like more freedom to participate the way I want than the major camps allow.

Drawingablank wrote:I find that in a solo / small camp you spend much more time out and about meeting people, exploring, and doing stuff.

It sounds like the route to go for a first timer.

I'm going to plan on burning solo, maybe a camp will inspire me though, who can say for sure. If anyone is interested in collaborating on an art project/costume anything, I have some experiance with LEDs. I usually say I have a lot of experiance with LEDs, but having seen some of the projects on Eplaya I would say i have SOME experiance. I have a few different ideas based around high-quality novelty LED bulbs, and some ideas using cheap, low quality LEDs. If that sounds interesting, or sparks your imagination, shoot me a PM and I'll reply guarenteed. I plan on making a thread detailing some of my better/more realistic ideas, and estimated cost/labor, to see if anyone feels like participating.
Humin

Postby Humin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:27 pm

I don't feel it warrants yet another thread from me, but I'm heading to AZ for Hannukah and my family up there loves desert camping, maybe I'll get some experiance after all
Humin

Postby jkisha » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!