Solo burner, first time visit 2013

Solo burner, first time visit 2013

Postby Charvel » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:44 am

Hello Burning Man community. I am an Australian male, 39 years old. I work as a manager for NSW Transport. I have been looking around your forum for ideas, hints and tips. I thought that it would be only right to register for this forum and to have the chance to interact with those whom I have really enjoyed their writings. I will do my best to read as much as possible and to try to avoid having to 'Tread trodden trails' when asking question.
Charvel

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Solo burner, first time visit 2013

Postby illy dilly » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:28 am

Hey Charvel!
Welcome to eplaya!

And, let me say thank you very much for researching before asking! We will all really appreciate it!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Charvel! :D

We love people who research first. (They tend to make better neighbors on the playa). Googling keywords + eplaya, such as: eplaya goggles or eplaya contact lenses or eplaya swamp cooler is a good way to find the threads you want if the "Search" feature is not forthcoming. If you still get stuck on a subject and you ask, hopefully we're not having one of our spells . . .

Welcome to the board!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby JesseGrrl2009 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:54 am

Savannah wrote:Hi Charvel! :D

We love people who research first. (They tend to make better neighbors on the playa). Googling keywords + eplaya, such as: eplaya goggles or eplaya contact lenses or eplaya swamp cooler is a good way to find the threads you want if the "Search" feature is not forthcoming. If you still get stuck on a subject and you ask, hopefully we're not having one of our spells . . .

Welcome to the board!

That's a great idea Savannah! I never really thought about using the great and powerful GOOGLE to search for specific threads! Now I'm definitely going to try that :) And welcome Charvel! :mrgreen:
"Now go make art, eat, drink, learn, discuss, study, read, absorb art daily. You are an artist. The commercially make a living part comes later, if ever, but never doubt: you ARE an Artist." - AntiM

)'( 2013 )'(
JesseGrrl2009

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 pm

JesseGrrl2009 wrote:
Savannah wrote:Hi Charvel! :D

Welcome to the board!

That's a great idea Savannah! I never really thought about using the great and powerful GOOGLE to search for specific threads! Now I'm definitely going to try that :) And welcome Charvel! :mrgreen:

Thanks, JesseGrrl! :)

The best part is: the Google trick digs up multiple threads on the subject, and then you can click on More results from eplaya.burningman.com » and narrow it to ePlaya-ONLY (if you want) and Google will even tell you how many replies there were per thread before you click. It'll look something like this:

ePlaya • View topic - Goggles - What do YOU use?
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=62405
30 posts - 20 authors - Sep 14
As we all know everyone's preferences are different, and a pair of goggles that one person likes, another person may hate. What I would like to ...

ePlaya • View topic - Coleman ATV/UTV goggles
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=56231
4 posts - 3 authors - Jul 9
I would like to use goggles over my glasses, or optical sunglasses. I am not sure about the fit at the temples. Any suggestions - or alternatives?

ePlaya • View topic - pair of cheap goggles recommendation
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=35415
30 posts - 20 authors - Aug 5, 2010
Vents can be closed, but steam up the goggles. Vents really don't allow that much playa dust in! In my opinion, the new cutting goggles work ...

ePlaya • View topic - Lemme Ogle your Goggles!
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33161
30 posts - 17 authors - Feb 19, 2010
I've yet to find goggles which I can wear over my glasses, I made some custom ones by gluing old lenses from my prescription glasses into ...

Savannah

Postby dragonpilot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:04 pm

We're not sure what the ticket sales process is going to look like yet, but be sure to get in line early...the Australian quota goes quickly!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby illy dilly » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 pm

Savannah wrote:
JesseGrrl2009 wrote:That's a great idea Savannah! I never really thought about using the great and powerful GOOGLE to search for specific threads! Now I'm definitely going to try that :) And welcome Charvel! :mrgreen:

Thanks, JesseGrrl! :)

The best part is: the Google trick digs up multiple threads on the subject, and then you can click on More results from eplaya.burningman.com » and narrow it to ePlaya-ONLY (if you want) and Google will even tell you how many replies there were per thread before you click. It'll look something like this:

ePlaya • View topic - Goggles - What do YOU use?
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=62405
30 posts - 20 authors - Sep 14
As we all know everyone's preferences are different, and a pair of goggles that one person likes, another person may hate. What I would like to ...

ePlaya • View topic - Coleman ATV/UTV goggles
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=56231
4 posts - 3 authors - Jul 9
I would like to use goggles over my glasses, or optical sunglasses. I am not sure about the fit at the temples. Any suggestions - or alternatives?

ePlaya • View topic - pair of cheap goggles recommendation
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=35415
30 posts - 20 authors - Aug 5, 2010
Vents can be closed, but steam up the goggles. Vents really don't allow that much playa dust in! In my opinion, the new cutting goggles work ...

ePlaya • View topic - Lemme Ogle your Goggles!
eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33161
30 posts - 17 authors - Feb 19, 2010
I've yet to find goggles which I can wear over my glasses, I made some custom ones by gluing old lenses from my prescription glasses into ...

:shock: WHAAAaaatT!?!?!?!
I've used google to search eplaya, but never clicked the "more from eplaya" and had no idea it gives thread info.
Ya learn something everyday!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:53 pm

It's awesome! You're going to love it. 'Cause there's often like . . . . 5 or 6 or 10 threads about something, and one of them only got 3 replies, but another one has like . . . two pages of replies, and is very definitive or helpful.

I often remember keywords from the titles of threads I like after seeing them a few times, but if I get stuck I also sometimes google

eplaya topic username

when there are many threads on one topic, but I find myself wanting to narrow a search to a specific thread ruled by someone specific and helpful.

This last trick is, of course, more useful to eplayans who have been here long enough to remember Who Talked About What.

Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

Savannah wrote:It's awesome! You're going to love it. 'Cause there's often like . . . . 5 or 6 or 10 threads about something, and one of them only got 3 replies, but another one has like . . . two pages of replies, and is very definitive or helpful.

I often remember keywords from the titles of threads I like after seeing them a few times, but if I get stuck I also sometimes google

eplaya topic username

when there are many threads on one topic, but I find myself wanting to narrow a search to a specific thread ruled by someone specific and helpful.

This last trick is, of course, more useful to eplayans who have been here long enough to remember Who Talked About What.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Fucking mind blowing!

I just jump around looking for funny shit to read, and then I book mark stuff I'll want to read later.

No wonder you seam to know the link for every thread on eplaya!
Instead of Siri, eplaya gets Savannah!
"Savannah, find me 2 threads about motorizing a surfboard"
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:25 pm

*practices Robot voice*
Savannah

Postby illy dilly » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:28 pm

"Bee-boop there are 3 surfboard threads with in 8 left-clicks of here"
illy dilly

Postby maryanimal » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi Charvel! Welcome to eplaya! It's good having done research first. Over time if there is something that has you stumped, go ahead and ask someone here! Lot's of smart folks here!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby jkisha » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!