MOOP Map Live 2012 Edition

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Re: MOOP Map Live 2012 Edition

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 am

skyhawkecks wrote:I can't believe they're still sperging out over pixels. Can't we go back to finger pointing about the MOOP map like the good ol' days?

Lets have another round of featherglittergreywaterthatmayormaynotbenewbierelated hate.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Rice » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 pm

skyhawkecks wrote:I can't believe they're still sperging out over pixels. Can't we go back to finger pointing about the MOOP map like the good ol' days?

No, it is all about the pixels dammit ;)

A partly accurate map in a high resolution uncompressed format is way less useful than an accurate map distributed in a lossy compressed format.

I am pretty sure the multiple dust storms followed by a serious city closing rain shower had a lot to do with some areas being yellow. We did a good job of Mooping our camp area, yet the entire block we were on was yellow :( ??? WTF ???
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Take a few deep breaths, re-read The Hun's post (or read it for the first time if you haven't yet done so). It explains what the fuck was, no need to stress over it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dr Helix » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:21 pm

I just have one questions; Where do these people get the TIME to write all this? It must be exhausting.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 am

I dropped several million tan pixels outside of my yurt and neglected to pick them up.
Nipple

Postby Rice » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:20 am

Nipple wrote:I dropped several million tan pixels outside of my yurt and neglected to pick them up.

Bad Nipple!!! :)
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby 5280MeV » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:21 am

Nipple wrote:I dropped several million tan pixels outside of my yurt and neglected to pick them up.

I thought that tan pixels were not considered MOOP because they are very quickly compressible.
5280MeV

Postby Nipple » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:04 am

5280MeV wrote:

I thought that tan pixels were not considered MOOP because they are very quickly compressible.

Hopefully someone picked up the dictionary bits.
Nipple

Postby Zhust » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:54 pm

stretch80 wrote:We did a good job of Mooping our camp area, yet the entire block we were on was yellow :( ??? WTF ???

JPEG artifacts are MOOP.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Rice » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Zhust wrote:
stretch80 wrote:We did a good job of Mooping our camp area, yet the entire block we were on was yellow :( ??? WTF ???

JPEG artifacts are MOOP.

So, what you are saying is my block became yellow when the gigantass Tiff image was compressed to JPEG???

;)
Love Rice

Rice

Postby BBadger » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:01 am

stretch80 wrote:
Zhust wrote:

JPEG artifacts are MOOP.

So, what you are saying is my block became yellow when the gigantass Tiff image was compressed to JPEG???

;)

Must've been caused by all that chroma subsampling*.

Next year we'll no doubt have the honor of being able to view the MOOP map in 48-bit color lossless TIFFs to ensure the highest levels of color depth--at the cost of only twice the prior bandwidth. A small price to pay to have the ability to open it up in Photoshop and adjust the channels to see every last bit (literally) of color detail in those tan playa pixels.

*Actually none is used at the compression levels depicted earlier.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Fiver » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Next year I'm buying out the Hubble Telescope. (Gov't needs cash anyway) I'll be retrofitting it, and then turning it around to point at Black Rock. Megapixels are too limiting, so I'll be going multi-gigapixel this time. You will only be able to download the moop maps at the end, all combined into a one petabyte sized .zip file. I will host this file on a 286 based server located on a small island in the south pacific prone to power outages. If you can manage the download, you should be able to zoom in and see the actual moop on the ground.

Or you can ask politely, and I will pony express you the image on data cassettes only compatible with original Commodore 64's.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:21 pm

too bad that much data probably won't fit.....and what about all the magnetic particle moop from the cassette tape?
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby trilobyte » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 am

Hopefully the folks at GeoEye will be able to schedule the BRC pass with the higher resolution satellite next year. I've written them a couple notes to ask nicely (one through the web site, another through the Twitter account), hopefully they take it under consideration. Actually, I hope that the growing cultural significance of the event and the relatively low-rez pass from IKONOS this year makes them put more resources on it next year.

What would be really cool (and something I'd probably do if I was 'Bill Gates' rich) would be to schedule daily passes from 15th August to 15th September. That'd make for great burner geekery, but also for some intriguing scientific study (how to build and clear a city of 50K people) - imagine the timelapse over a month...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby graidawg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:42 am

trilobyte wrote:Hopefully the folks at GeoEye will be able to schedule the BRC pass with the higher resolution satellite next year. I've written them a couple notes to ask nicely (one through the web site, another through the Twitter account), hopefully they take it under consideration. Actually, I hope that the growing cultural significance of the event and the relatively low-rez pass from IKONOS this year makes them put more resources on it next year.

What would be really cool (and something I'd probably do if I was 'Bill Gates' rich) would be to schedule daily passes from 15th August to 15th September. That'd make for great burner geekery, but also for some intriguing scientific study (how to build and clear a city of 50K people) - imagine the timelapse over a month...

I have no idea what you are talking about, it sounds cool as fuck though, and you aren't secretly bill gates anyway goes back to re-write theory of how trilo remains both cool and geeky.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 am

Is it not an option to just have plane with some kinda super fancy camera attached? They could make daily passes... Surely it wouldnt have to be more than 5k feet up to get a good pic of the whole playa? How bout one of the weather balloons that people fly? Not high enough? I guess image stability could be an issue if taken from a plane, but on a bright day I doubt you'd need a very long exposure....

Someone who knows what they're talking about, correct me where I'm wrong?
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Postby Nipple » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:Hopefully the folks at GeoEye will be able to schedule the BRC pass with the higher resolution satellite next year. I've written them a couple notes to ask nicely (one through the web site, another through the Twitter account), hopefully they take it under consideration. Actually, I hope that the growing cultural significance of the event and the relatively low-rez pass from IKONOS this year makes them put more resources on it next year.

In the aftermath of Katrina, NOAA used their planes to take sequential photos of New Orleans and the Gulf Coast. Users in the community then went to work bumping and shifting these tiles into their proper place. For a while there was a secondary database you could log into via Google Earth that had the Post Katrina images instead.

With GPS tagging cameras, and the number of planes out there, This seems like a far closer possibility than not.
Nipple

Postby trilobyte » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm sure planes would be possible, but in the unlikely scenario that I somehow find myself all 'Bill Gates' rich, I'm going for satellites all the way.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:44 pm

Yeah, the problem with being "Bill Gates rich" is that you pretty much have to be Bill Gates.

Or, worse yet, Larry Ellison.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby DesireeTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:29 pm

Is there anyone here that can help me figure out why the back half of 5 & Esplanade (Playa Surfers) was rated so poorly? We all worked very hard to make sure we left without a trace so needless to say, this rating is very disappointing. If we could have some info on what was found and why it was rated this way, we would be able to address the problem. Being one of the last to leave our camp this year, I am a bit perplexed. Please help.

XOX
Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:38 pm

Read the blog post, do what it says.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby DesireeTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:41 pm

trilobyte wrote:Read the blog post, do what it says.

What blog post? I'm at work and honestly don't have time to sift through all these posts to figure out who I can go to for this information. Can you link me to this blog?
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:02 pm

If you can't be bothered, don't worry about it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby DesireeTime » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:31 pm

Wow! OK. I understand that you are moderator for this board and that it is grueling rehashing the same thing over and over again. I'm sure you're tired of this question. You gave me some information on where I can find the info I asked for. Thank you. But after searching, I still could not find the blog you were referring to. So I asked for a link to the blog. I get how you could be frustrated with someone asking such a question. That said, these forums exist so that we can reach out to one another in our community and ask questions (even ones that you might consider stupid or frustrating). When I asked for a link to this blog if you had not responded chances are another fellow Burner would have. However, now that you've responded the way you did this will essentially stop anyone else from responding and worse create some sort of unfounded agreement about me that I don't care or "can't be bothered". A totally unfair assessment considering the nature of the question.

In rereading my post that spawned this dialog, I suppose it's me stating that I was "at work and unable to sift through all these posts" that probably set this tone for you. I'm usually better at choosing my words. The truth is I was at work and was typing fast and didn't thoroughly think through how my words were going to land with you. For that I apologize.
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Jiminy Christmas.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby BBadger » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:12 pm

DesireeTime wrote:In rereading my post that spawned this dialog, I suppose it's me stating that I was "at work and unable to sift through all these posts" that probably set this tone for you. I'm usually better at choosing my words. The truth is I was at work and was typing fast and didn't thoroughly think through how my words were going to land with you. For that I apologize.

When you "have the time" go to the blog linked in the first post of this thread.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Your post does come off as a little lazy or snobbish (the Burning Blog is linked several times in this thread - starting with the very first post and then every time a new MOOP Map Live post was added), but I wasn't trying to be snippy. Honestly, if you can't find the time it takes to scan the thread for links or read any of the posts in the Burning Blog… don't worry about it. It's not that big a deal, especially more than a month after the BLM inspection. When you wrote earlier, you asked me to point you in the right direction, which I did (the blog). When you (or your campmates) can find the time, it should have the info you're looking for.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:21 pm

It is my understanding that you can go to Earth Guardians and they can tell you how to do it on the playa...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby DesireeTime » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:19 pm

trilobyte wrote:Your post does come off as a little lazy or snobbish (the Burning Blog is linked several times in this thread - starting with the very first post and then every time a new MOOP Map Live post was added), but I wasn't trying to be snippy. Honestly, if you can't find the time it takes to scan the thread for links or read any of the posts in the Burning Blog… don't worry about it. It's not that big a deal, especially more than a month after the BLM inspection. When you wrote earlier, you asked me to point you in the right direction, which I did (the blog). When you (or your campmates) can find the time, it should have the info you're looking for.

Thank you. And again, I apologize for coming off that way. I do see how it can read as "lazy or snobbish" just as your posts hit me as Burner elitist with a very accusing tone of "if you don't know, then you're not working hard enough".

Any way, if this is the blog you referring to, I've been to it serval times and the only information I could find about who to talk to was on the below link. (for those of you looking for this information I've posted a link below) It basically says to reach out to placement if you're a theme camp and have concerns. I've done so on three occasions now. The first time being Oct 4th at 3:45pm. I have yet to hear back.

http://blog.burningman.com/2012/11/envi ... -answered/
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby DesireeTime » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:19 pm

BBadger wrote:
DesireeTime wrote:In rereading my post that spawned this dialog, I suppose it's me stating that I was "at work and unable to sift through all these posts" that probably set this tone for you. I'm usually better at choosing my words. The truth is I was at work and was typing fast and didn't thoroughly think through how my words were going to land with you. For that I apologize.

When you "have the time" go to the blog linked in the first post of this thread.

Thank you. :)
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

PreviousNext

Return to Leave No Trace