Camping in a covered 6 x 12 utility trailer

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Camping in a covered 6 x 12 utility trailer

Postby Lucidvegas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:16 am

Hi all. Ill cut to the chase and leave out the story behind......

But it looks like I'll be taking up a 6X12 utility trailer ...covered of course....to the playa.

Anyone have any advice and tips and or tricks? I'll also be bringing a genie to power an indoor ac unit. I realize the ac unity will not be nice during the day....its main purpose will be to get a couple extra hours sleep.....hopefully cool a section with a cot right in front of it as well.

I understand I'll need an exhaust port, and will also be putting in two filtered 'windows' for cross wind ventilation.

I've even heard from a local that he used thermal insulation and sealed the walls! Dunno if I will get that into it lol. Unless someone here says otherwise? He even said he put fabric over it to pimp it out. Seems like a lot of work, especially on short notice.

Anyone else have anything maybe to add? Is it not as cherry as I imagine? Not going for a full blown RV feel at all.......shooting for slightly above average comfort level lol.

Thanks!
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Re: Camping in a covered 6 x 12 utility trailer

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:28 am

Bring a tent in case the trailer starts pissing you off. I knew a truck driver who camped in a dumpster one year. Worked out great until he realized HE WAS CAMPING IN A FUCKING DUMPSTER.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby trilobyte » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:39 am

Nudging this one over to shelter & camping.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Lucidvegas » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:51 am

booo no one goes there! Its allabout the qna
"Am I Dreaming!?" - Always ask this when you think you might be dreaming. One day you might find out YOU ARE dreaming. Then the fun can begin.
Lucidvegas

Postby moonrise » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 am

Did you ever find the carport? You could park the trailer inside and have extra shade.

Also, if you own this trailer you could make some plywood walls that block the dust that'll blow at you from underneath, so when you sit in front of it the dust and wind doesn't constantly blow all over your sitting area. I saw some of these low plywood walls painted up with some interesting art. Mushrooms and weeds and stuff.

The heat makes my arthritis feel better so I don't bother with a/c. Maybe a FIGJAM swamp cooler someday, but for now I'm okay roasting (a little bit) if I gotta.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:27 am

Waiting for Figjam to interject here. His trailer I believe is about that size and it's pretty much the Hilton of the playa..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Like this?

Step by step intructions are in the trasportasion thread under "Travel trailer, cargo trailer or..."

By using the swamp cooler I don't need a generator and it's quieter than an AC.

I'll bump the thread. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby MacGlenver » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:51 am

Figgy, I say that is too comfortable. Please put some nails under the mattress or something.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Return to Shelter & Camping