Playa Weddings! What Worked...Or Didn't?!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Playa Weddings! What Worked...Or Didn't?!

Postby gustavh » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Anybody care to share their playa wedding stories? I'm in the midst of planning for a playa wedding for 2013 (also in the midst of my first year of graduate school. It's hard) and I'm curious to hear from others who have been through the process! Was there anything that worked especially well? Anything that you had planned on or couldn't do without that fell through? Unexpected surprises/lovely moments?

Some background about me: my fiancee and I met at the burn in 2011. It was both of our virgin burns and we were in a mid-sized theme camp. We started dating on the playa and have been together ever since. In 2012 we split off and did our own camp (Jake's Tent Charcuterie RV camp! At 8:45 and A), which was pretty successful and super fun. We got engaged on the playa in 2012 and decided to have our wedding at burning man in 2013.

As for wedding planning, we have about 15-25 people who will likely be there. I've picked out a dress and a ring and we have an officiant. And, sadly, that's about it so far. We still need a photographer and to figure out how to do a cake on the playa and decorations and...what else? This is why I'm soliciting your stories/tips/advice! Anything is appreciated!

Much Love
gustavh

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Jake's Tent Camp

Re: Playa Weddings! What Worked...Or Didn't?!

Postby gaminwench » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:55 pm

I've participated in several different playa weddings.

What really worked:

Sunrise ceremony -
1) It seems it's actually easier for burners to make it to something at sunrise,
2) the light is amazing,
3) less distraction, especially at art installations.

Art Car -
1) One couple's camp arranged for an MV that could hold the entire wedding party & guests;
They were ferried to the ceremony site (deep playa art installation), then to the Temple for photos and blessing, then to a camp that
hosted their wedding breakfast - awesome!
2) Another couple was delivered to the guests at their ceremony site by two different 2 person vehicles - cute!

Food - Provide some!
1) Sunrise calls for a coffee station at the gathering place,
2) Cupcakes are great and easy!
3) Bacon is always appropriate!
4) Champagne!

Decoration - bring fabric scarves in your wedding colors for the guests to ceremonially decorate your site;
then they can keep them as mementos :D

Bells are fun - if every guests gets/has a bell, they can 'ring in' your vows.

Congratulations, and good luck!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby dragonpilot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:45 pm

Attended a couple...

Last one was last Burn. The couple picked out an art installation they liked and we all hiked out there (about 50+ of us) around 9 PM...lovely night time playa stroll with a mission. The couple traded vows, the preecher preeched and was funny and serious. The couple worn suitable playa formal wear. We were entertained with awesome music and fire performers for about 30 minuted after the ceremony.

After it was all over, folks split up in smaller groups...some went back to camp, others stayed out on the playa to explore and enjoy the sights and sounds. It was perfect.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

We are also planning a playa wedding in 2013, so I am also curious as to what people have done. We also have an officiant and pretty sure we have an artcar with music. But thats about all.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:47 pm

Scott wanted a playa wedding. It's too much to say I regret it, but very few people made it--white out on the other side of the playa. It's deeper than that. It might be different for me now that I'm better at enjoying the burn... Still, I don't think I'd do it again.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby ranger magnum » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:00 pm

We are having another reception back at home for all our friends and family that cant make it to the playa. We have playa friends who wouldnt be able to make the reception at home, so this way most of the people we know can be a part of our wedding, either by being on playa or at home.

We have friends who run a pretty decent sized theme camp on the esplanade, so we are going to see if we can have it there, so if there is a whiteout, at least we would have some shelter.

Since we got together on playa in 07, it only makes sense we get married there.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:14 am

I was playa married this year. It wasn't legal, but having it in first camp certainly made it real. Don't plan...other than the actual administor and paperwork...is my advice Our wedding bands were made of zip ties....her bouquet crafted from tin foil. We just went with the wind..and everything was beautiful.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby teardropper » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 am

There is no waiting period in Pershing County, but both of you must make it to lovely Lovelock, a pretty fair drive east of Black Rock City. But those pleasant folks at the Courthouse are accustomed to helping us Burners do just that. It's very refreshing to find a photograph, one much like the one on my wall at my house, of Black Rock City from the air. We had a very good friend get, from the Universal Life Church, the required documentation to be the officiant. Very easy to do, You can Google them and they will be happy to help you get set up. As for expectations, I would say, just as for all things Burning Man, try to leave them open. Don't lower them, don't raise them - the playa just gives. It will be unique. I don't know anyone else who had unplanned giant explosions going off overhead with perfect smoke rings during THEIR ceremony any where but in BRC. A close friend was married the same month, a formal church background with long white dresses and dark suits contrasted to our handmade cutaway tails, Burner dress, silver body paint, straw hats, our corner of the beautiful Temple and the dusty Black Rock Desert. Your choice....
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:58 am

Wait to eat the mushrooms until afterwards.

Or don't.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby bandaloops_M&L » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:17 pm

I didn't make it out to a playa wedding last year, but I think it is such a wonderful, bright, lovefilled area to enter into such a special union. Congratulations to all those who are doing a playa wedding this coming year! :) I would agree with having it at sunrise...when the sun peaks over the mountain your heart just melts :) Love and Light, your souls shine bright. <3 xoxo
Love and Light, Your Souls Shine Bright <3 Panda
bandaloops_M&L

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: The 7 Deadly Gins

Postby MacGlenver » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:14 pm

I've dodged a wedding two years in a row! Here's shooting for a third! :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly
MacGlenver

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks