One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

i guess i would feel weird seeing as i did not make it over to FQ this year. But it was just and idea I was throwing out there. Who knows what will happen :)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby TT120 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:03 pm

Just bought the ingredients for a monkey hut. I already had the tarp and the rebar stakes so $36 later, I have several 10' pieces of sched 40 PVC in my garage.

Going to cut it into the proper pieces and set it up this weekend at the school yard across the street. Test run, so to speak.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby Savannah » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:50 pm

Ooo, the first Monkey Hut Test-Run of the year! :o

(The Burn Year runs from September to August, like an academic year for weirdos.)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby bbyjcam_19 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Bought 2 new pairs of boots today! Furry stack boots and white gogo boots. All for under 50$ at www.daljeets.com in the clearance section. *happy dance*
"Ohhh... It's about 2:45 on a Tuesday morning.... I believe it's time to rage."
bbyjcam_19

Postby Milayna » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:23 pm

bbyjcam that site has some awesome deals!!!! Thanks for the tip!! :shock: :D
Milayna

Postby trilobyte » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:24 pm

We signed up with a new storage place today. It's a little further away than our current place (but still under 2 miles), but it's a bigger space and has 24 hour access (the place we've been using only had daytime hours, which was a little inconvenient at times). Having more space will allow us to better organize what we're storing, plus give us a lot more room in our living/studio space.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby danibel » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Calculated my PTO from my first pay stub (YAY my first payday in awhile!), and was super duper happy to know that I will have built up a nice bank of hours off by the time OCF and the burn come around. Now I am contemplating when to ask for the days off. I don't want to ask too soon, but not too late either. Any tips on the timing of such requests?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby lucky420 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:00 pm

I always ask in January. Gives employers more than half the year to know you'll be gone and time for them to adjust if need be. My company likes us to put in as soon as possible.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:58 pm

I too will be asking in January. I like to give my boss some time to forget how long I was gone this year. :lol:

Savannah

Postby Oldguy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Well-being is my item this week.

Physical exam showed weight loss, and perfect BP and heart-rate. I am using a cane for my ataxia, stylin'...getting fitter.

Darleen's son and son-in-law came over with chainsaws to drop 2 oaks, a wild cherry,and Uncle Barney's rustic cabin/shed. Defensable space is around my house. I feel safer now.

My hot water heater was replaced with an energy efficient natural gas model. Hot showers this Winter, yahoo!

Darleen keeps my home neat and clean, and I am the better for it. She cooks dinner on Tuesday and Thursday. I am happy I applied to Human Services for help, it is working out very well, I have much to be thankfull for this year... :D
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby trilobyte » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 am

Great news, oldguy, sounds like excellent progress to me.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:43 am

It's kinda nice I dont have to ask. My bosses just know. 2 weeks end of aug. I will be gone. If I don't I will be in a bad mood. Last year they kept fucking with me saying i couldnt have it off and if i tried to leave they were going to slash my tires. I informed them i was taking the trains.. well that stopped :P But yeah they just know. Now Tom.. not sure how we are going to handle that one cause the way it looks he only gets a week off each year. So he is going to have to see what can be done, but he says he is going no matter what.
tattoogoddess

Postby Savannah » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:03 am

Oldguy wrote:Well-being is my item this week.

Physical exam showed weight loss, and perfect BP and heart-rate. I am using a cane for my ataxia, stylin'...getting fitter.

Darleen's son and son-in-law came over with chainsaws to drop 2 oaks, a wild cherry,and Uncle Barney's rustic cabin/shed. Defensable space is around my house. I feel safer now.

My hot water heater was replaced with an energy efficient natural gas model. Hot showers this Winter, yahoo!

Darleen keeps my home neat and clean, and I am the better for it. She cooks dinner on Tuesday and Thursday. I am happy I applied to Human Services for help, it is working out very well, I have much to be thankfull for this year... :D

Fantastic, Oldguy! :D

Savannah

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 pm

just found out i will be able to get my new playa boots sooner then i thought. My money from my google ad sense account will be here in dec (from my youtube videos i make) and I found a bike in the dumpster last night that is worth about $250. So here i come my loves!
tattoogoddess

Postby TinkerMom » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:11 pm

danibel wrote:Calculated my PTO from my first pay stub (YAY my first payday in awhile!), and was super duper happy to know that I will have built up a nice bank of hours off by the time OCF and the burn come around. Now I am contemplating when to ask for the days off. I don't want to ask too soon, but not too late either. Any tips on the timing of such requests?

We have to have ours in 90 days in advance, but I tell (not ask) my boss in Jan. Only because of the extended
amount of time I will be taking (I take 3 weeks off) And because I work the big box retail gig, it's during
back to college time and our store is back to back with one. It's only fair to let them know so far in advance.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby danibel » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 pm

I read the PTO policy today. They want 60 days notice and you have to get approval from your manager if you are taking more than 40 hours at a time. I am not sure exactly what day I will leaving, but last year we left town at midnight on Monday and drove to Reno, arriving at 4am. We slept as late as we could and arrived on playa Tuesday (after water shopping) around sunset. It was perfect. I think we may do that again. The one unknown is departure time from the playa. We stayed Monday night and left in a white out Tuesday, I don't think we cant stay Monday night again. I'll need to be in the office no later than Wednesday.

So if I work Monday and then get back Wednesday, that is 40 hours. Perfect!
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:56 pm

finally starting to get our bm stuff for 2013. Tom bought his roman helmet :? We got our sound system, I got a new headlight cause last year mine was a pain in the ass. Ordered 100 bungee balls for the shade structure. Now going out to hell mart on black friday non the less and going to pick up a cheap mp3 player for camp, a 3.3mm to rca for the sound system cause it is a 5 channel, printer ink to make buttons and a memory foam topper for our bed here but to take to bm. Yay for sales?
tattoogoddess

Postby clocksnmirrors » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 am

looked at prices on trailers

found something just out of reach.... this is going to take some figuring out
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Postby mgb327 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:29 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:looked at prices on trailers

found something just out of reach.... this is going to take some figuring out

Stand on your tip-toes, you can reach it then....everything always seems to work out.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 am

Got a few playariffic clothing items yesterday (though I'll use them in Defaultia too). A cool derby cane/walking stick with brass handle, plus another cravat and a floppy bow tie to add to my victorian/steampunk wardrobe. I also started looking at prices on aqua-tainers.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Thorormr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:56 pm

trilobyte wrote:I also started looking at prices on aqua-tainers.

I recently ran across these:
http://www.surewatertanks.com/waterbrick.html
The aqua-tainer is still way cheaper.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Those things look awesome, but the smaller capacity means we'd need more of them (looks like it would cost us roughly double). We saw them at the local sports joint in the runup to the playa this past year. Loved the idea, but we were already past the point of new business. Thicker lined and stackable, makes them ideal for us to use/re-use each year for the playa, as well as any other campouts and to just have for our emergency/disaster supplies. The cheapo 2.5 gallon suitcases work great for single purpose on the playa, but trying to keep them on-hand year-round just doesn't work - invariably they start to leak after a couple months (not sure if it's the uber-thin plastic breaking down, or one of our cats scratching at them with his claws).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:04 pm

trilobyte wrote:Those things look awesome, but the smaller capacity means we'd need more of them (looks like it would cost us roughly double). We saw them at the local sports joint in the runup to the playa this past year. Loved the idea, but we were already past the point of new business. Thicker lined and stackable, makes them ideal for us to use/re-use each year for the playa, as well as any other campouts and to just have for our emergency/disaster supplies. The cheapo 2.5 gallon suitcases work great for single purpose on the playa, but trying to keep them on-hand year-round just doesn't work - invariably they start to leak after a couple months (not sure if it's the uber-thin plastic breaking down, or one of our cats scratching at them with his claws).

In my experience the 2.5 gallon suitcases leak after a few months, even without a kitty wreaking havoc. :) It's the plastic.

Savannah

Postby Thorormr » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:14 pm

trilobyte wrote:Those things look awesome, but the smaller capacity means we'd need more of them (looks like it would cost us roughly double). We saw them at the local sports joint in the runup to the playa this past year. Loved the idea, but we were already past the point of new business. Thicker lined and stackable, makes them ideal for us to use/re-use each year for the playa, as well as any other campouts and to just have for our emergency/disaster supplies. The cheapo 2.5 gallon suitcases work great for single purpose on the playa, but trying to keep them on-hand year-round just doesn't work - invariably they start to leak after a couple months (not sure if it's the uber-thin plastic breaking down, or one of our cats scratching at them with his claws).

Probably more than double. They run in the neighborhood of $17 each and the 5g aqua-tainer I've seen for $7-8ish. Although I do like the idea of a smaller container for portability, and the ability to stack/skid them up. Another idea I've seen for mass water storage is food grade buckets with gamma lids.
http://www.bayteccontainers.com/gamma-seal-lids.html

I think I remember you posting about storage issues, this might be a better way to go. At the end of the season you could just divorce the lids from the buckets and stack them up, or fill them (after thorough drying) with clean clothes or similar that you wouldn't mind in contact with your water storage. Just if you stack them, put something in the bottom of the bucket so they don't get stuck.
I have discovered the ultimate question to life the universe and everything. "Does it burn?"
Thorormr

Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Little Pony's Saloon and Flop House

Postby TinkerMom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:18 pm

Trilo, check out homebrewers.com. They have 15 gallon containers for $10.
Or check out any local home brew house for them.
And.... go out of the city to feed and ranch stores.
You can add a spigot or a pump to them.

I'm not sure how big you want, but the 15 gal ones are easy to handle and move around,
and make great ballast in different spots on your trailer or truck.

TinkerMom

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm

15 gallon containers are much more cumbersome than we want (120lbs when full). The 7 gallon/26l stackable is right at the upper limit of sweet spot for us. They're just a wee bit more than the 5 gallon water cooler bottles, but the containers are easier to manage and stackable.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby TinkerMom » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Hahaha, I know they can weigh quite a bit. But, I roll mine around on their sides.

TinkerMom

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:07 pm

You shouldn't be drinking the suitcases after 6 months anyway.

Since I don't camp otherwise, and don't have the space for empty containers, plus I havent' taken good care fo them in the past, well, suitcases it is for me.

And here we are at different solutions work for different people with different capabilities and needs. Something that needs to be drilled into the heads of a lot of burners.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby VultureChow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:58 am

So I've been off here for a while. Just too freakin busy with work and family issues. But I've kept my hands busy. My goal is 100 scarves for gifts next year. Boas, warm scarves etc. I'm up to 25 so far. Here's a sampling of the boa colors. Just need to stitch in the ends.

Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby lucky420 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:47 am

Those are gorgeous vc...jealous of your talent :)
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks