Happiness

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Happiness

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:If you insist. It was August, 1984 and me and a buddy were fishing (which has nothing to do with actually catching fish) up above Lake Almanor, near the town of Chester, CA. We could hear this boom-boom-boom but thought they were blasting the roads prior to paving. We were on a granite outcasting in, for want of a better word, like a volcano in the sense that if you look up from the lake all you can see is the top of the mountain all around you. All of the sudden black clouds blew in and the temperture dropped about 30 degrees in a moment; similar to opening a freezer door. Then it happened. Lightning strikes every couple of seconds and we see dozens of people running like hell away from the lake. It was hailing and raining and after trying to "hide" from the weather under a small granite overhang, we started running down what was just moments ago a nice path but had turned into a rushing river. All of the sudden there was a deafening BOOM! and I get hit by the bolt. Imagine the brightest light you've ever seen exploding inside of your brain. It was as if I had been hit in the back with a 4X4, all of the air was sucked out of my lungs and it flung me maybe 20 feet. I hit this ground, which really was mostly granite and dirt, and my buddy turned around and yelled, "JIM!" I couldn't respond. He came and literally had to pry my fingers out of the granite and together we made it back to the truck, leaving our fishing gear and beer behind. I had hundreds of small cuts, maybe three inches long, all over my body. But for the most part I was fine. Turns out lightning has the main bolt (which would have cut me in two) and "fingers" along side. That's what got me. We hightailed it the hell out of there and didn't stop until we got to Chico. Turned out the same storm a short while later killed four climbers on El Capitan in Yosemite from lightning. Not the most pleasant day I've ever had. Thankfully we had more beer in the truck.


That might be the best death-defying tale I've ever heard. :shock:

(Although I am still accepting applications.)

I arrive at this judgment through a complicated equation involving 1) probability of fiery death 2) actual injuries incurred, by contrast 3) luck experienced 4) proximity of witnesses 5) descriptiveness; ease of visuals 6) more beer in the truck.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Happiness

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:25 pm

Savannah wrote:
Dr. Pyro wrote:If you insist. It was August, 1984 and me and a buddy were fishing (which has nothing to do with actually catching fish) up above Lake Almanor, near the town of Chester, CA. We could hear this boom-boom-boom but thought they were blasting the roads prior to paving. We were on a granite outcasting in, for want of a better word, like a volcano in the sense that if you look up from the lake all you can see is the top of the mountain all around you. All of the sudden black clouds blew in and the temperture dropped about 30 degrees in a moment; similar to opening a freezer door. Then it happened. Lightning strikes every couple of seconds and we see dozens of people running like hell away from the lake. It was hailing and raining and after trying to "hide" from the weather under a small granite overhang, we started running down what was just moments ago a nice path but had turned into a rushing river. All of the sudden there was a deafening BOOM! and I get hit by the bolt. Imagine the brightest light you've ever seen exploding inside of your brain. It was as if I had been hit in the back with a 4X4, all of the air was sucked out of my lungs and it flung me maybe 20 feet. I hit this ground, which really was mostly granite and dirt, and my buddy turned around and yelled, "JIM!" I couldn't respond. He came and literally had to pry my fingers out of the granite and together we made it back to the truck, leaving our fishing gear and beer behind. I had hundreds of small cuts, maybe three inches long, all over my body. But for the most part I was fine. Turns out lightning has the main bolt (which would have cut me in two) and "fingers" along side. That's what got me. We hightailed it the hell out of there and didn't stop until we got to Chico. Turned out the same storm a short while later killed four climbers on El Capitan in Yosemite from lightning. Not the most pleasant day I've ever had. Thankfully we had more beer in the truck.


That might be the best death-defying tale I've ever heard. :shock:

(Although I am still accepting applications.)

I arrive at this judgment through a complicated equation involving 1) probability of fiery death 2) actual injuries incurred, by contrast 3) luck experienced 4) proximity of witnesses 5) descriptiveness; ease of visuals 6) more beer in the truck.


if this is going to be a contest, I'll have to go back and dig up non present occasions and events of my "reckless" youth.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Happiness

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:45 pm

nothing I have comes close to Doc's close encounter on the counts Savannah mentioned. A few close encounters, being blown up, broken accelerator cables, 3.5 tonnes of glass missing me by virtue of me getting under the truck. oh and of course actually death on the operating table. But in my humble opinion getting hit by lightening then actually having beer after, can't top that.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Happiness

Postby Savannah » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Yeah, part of the fun is that Doc wasn't badly hurt--contrasted with how badly he could have been.

If you get all @#$%ed up, we have to be a little more grave about it, and can't enjoy the story quite as much. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 10517
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Happiness

Postby aserendipity » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Please think about the result of that experience.
How has it affected you ?
xoA.
aserendipity
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby latchseeker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:02 pm

My Brother and I were on our way to the Casino for some Poker. I was driving his POS '89 Dakota, maybe doin the posted speed of 45mph, Maybe. 5 lanes, two south two north, one center turning lane. We are in the left lane, Lincoln Navigator makes a U-Turn from the Shoulder, after what he assumed was the last of a pack of cars, right into our path with maybe 15 feet. McSlamsville!! WOW! I punched the dashboard with both hands and shins. I thought the car was smoking cause i'd never been in an Airbag deployment before so I told my brother go go get out of the car, ................"i can't"................, just before the collision he had put his foot up on the dashboard. Which as awful as that already sounds, it prolly saved his life. He slammed into his knee with his chest, cracked his sternum, bad belt bite, and he was sure he was dying when i told him to move out of the car. There are no passenger airbags in an '89 Dakota, his knee kept him from crushing his skull into the windshield. Needless to say w didn't make it to the casino. But my brother got money, for not such a piece of shit truck, and medical damages. I too received a very nice settlement from the insurer. MUCH more than I will ever win playing poker in one night. I was happy. Man was the driver of the Lincoln sure surprised.
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:46 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Re: Happiness

Postby wh..sh » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:00 pm

ygmir wrote:
aserendipity wrote:JS
Navy
tell more please !
happiness is survival


there's a thread........viewtopic.php?f=56&t=32509

That thread is just for you. This thread is for rest of the normal people :P
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
User avatar
wh..sh
 
Posts: 2191
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Happiness

Postby ygmir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:06 pm

wh..sh wrote:
ygmir wrote:
aserendipity wrote:JS
Navy
tell more please !
happiness is survival


there's a thread........viewtopic.php?f=56&t=32509

That thread is just for you. This thread is for rest of the normal people :P

are you calling me Abner?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
User avatar
ygmir
 
Posts: 25985
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: nevada county
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: Happiness

Postby AntiM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:12 pm

Near death on an operating table just isn't visual, and there's no beer after. Although the morphine drip is nice, it has no Holy Crap! factor.
These are not my fuckos.
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 16387
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Top O' the World, Ma!
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Happiness

Postby graidawg » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:27 pm

it was the morphine did it, i forgot to mention the 7 or 8 beers i had already had.........
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 2948
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Re: Happiness

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:37 pm

First time I went to Vegas to do serious gambling, after drinking scotch for 24 hours without eating, I was down $20K and only had $700 left.

Went into the high limit room and started playing bacarat going all in on hunches. (min. $100, max $15,000)

In 45 min. I had $40,000 and could'nt read the cards anymore.

Went to my room and was hungover for two days, so watched movies and lived on room service.

Left with all that cash and everything comped because of those big bets! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Happiness

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 pm

AntiM wrote:Although the morphine drip is nice, it has no Holy Crap! factor.

I had some really creepy morphium dreams. Well, two. and let's face it, you had to be there to find them creepy. Part of one of them was inspired by the colors of Tyrolian houses. Scary dreams only an Alpine nerd could fear.
And the other time I was on morphium I weaned myself off in a day because of the itch. I had an incision in my abdomen--which will give you an idea of how horrible the itch was...

I really don't get much of anything on the Savannah Index.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37405
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Happiness

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:34 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Happiness

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:58 am

[media]
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 7072
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Re: Happiness

Postby maryanimal » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Very nice video!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
User avatar
maryanimal
 
Posts: 3849
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 am
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Happiness

Postby aserendipity » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Thank you Figgy
Thanksgiving weekend was a long time of family and almost family and not family and be nice
time for some vanilla gelato
aserendipity
 
Posts: 1064
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:34 pm

Previous

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Elliot, unjonharley and 2 guests