POST ALTERNATE LOCATIONS FOR BM 2013

Cargo Cult - Who is John Frum? He is known to us by many names, this Visitor from Elsewhere, dispenser of endless abundance and wielder of mysterious technologies: John Frum, Quetzalcoatl, Osiris, "Bob." His cargo is splendid, his generosity boundless, his motives beyond our understanding. But across the ages and around the world, the stories all agree: one day he will return, bearing great gifts. Our theme this year asks three related questions; who is John Frum, where is he really from, and where, on spaceship Earth, are we all going?

Re: POST ALTERNATE LOCATIONS FOR BM 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:01 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I think there's a way to capture those roommates in a constant haze of pot smoke induced pocket universe, and shrink it down to the size of a large houseplant. They are so much less annoying that way. Did you major in gravitational astronomy?

nah i mostly majored in keeping up appearances with a concentration in getting it over with

That's the problem with the new majors in colleges undergoing serious grade-inflation, you just never learn to do the hard but useful things.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:nah i mostly majored in keeping up appearances with a concentration in getting it over with

That's the problem with the new majors in colleges undergoing serious grade-inflation, you just never learn to do the hard but useful things.[/quote]

:lol:

actually i came out back in the 80s. my issues were more philosophical than anything. ecclesiastes summed up pretty well my feelings "meaningless, meaningless. everything is meaningless"
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee heee heee heeeee! *burp*
clocksnmirrors

Burning Since: 2012

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Gently nudged over a couple folders. Seemed more appropriate here.

MDMF
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Sail Man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:04 pm

We'll show the world what happens when we're in session :wink:

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Runs; With Scissors » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 pm

If we sincerely need something, I know of a dry lake bed that's similar to the Black Rock playa, near Reno. It's privately owned and I can talk to the owner if necessary. (he asked me if we needed it in September and I said I didn't know.) Until we need it, I'd rather not bother him with anything unofficial. Someone write me if there's any weight to the rumor - I'll start things moving. Someone would need to verify that it is big enough and that the county laws are okay with us doing what-have-you there.
Runs; With Scissors

Camp Name: love potion

Postby Ratty » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:51 am

As a 'Greeter' I was furious with the Sheriffs writing all those tickets the second a car pulled in. BUT. While I was there I had 2 awesome experiences with the sheriffs. (And yes, I reported them in a good way). I like all the supervision. I always feel safe.
Pictures or it didn't happen. Greycoyote
"I a recovering swagaholic. I have to resist my grabby nature" VultureChow
"Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on" Savannah
"I'm a motherfucking skeptic tank" SimonofthePlaya
Ratty

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Street Sign Replacement Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:18 am

Runs; With Scissors wrote:If we sincerely need something, I know of a dry lake bed that's similar to the Black Rock playa, near Reno. It's privately owned and I can talk to the owner if necessary. (he asked me if we needed it in September and I said I didn't know.) Until we need it, I'd rather not bother him with anything unofficial. Someone write me if there's any weight to the rumor - I'll start things moving. Someone would need to verify that it is big enough and that the county laws are okay with us doing what-have-you there.

Might be fun for an alternate event, even without the rumor confirmed.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:57 am

I don't think we need something - I don't think the goal is to double capacity overnight or drastically change the event in any other way. I'm hopeful that the Pershing County nonsense can be resolved, and I think the location helps to make the event unique. I'd rather keep it as it is, and then look at bolstering and building up other events around the world. In my opinion the future isn't a Black Rock City with a population of 150K, it's 150 events approaching the size and scale we see now, scattered around the globe. None would be identical, they'd each develop their own character and flavor. Burning Seed, Burning Flipside, KiwiBurn, Collidiscope (Hawaii regional burn), and the list goes on.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:35 pm

I agree; the future is fewer, smaller, more diverse. I wish I hadn't missed that Wasteland Weekend thing.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Runs; With Scissors » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:I agree; the future is fewer, smaller, more diverse. I wish I hadn't missed that Wasteland Weekend thing.

You didn't miss much, unless you're into heat, foul people and a lot of moop.

There are other great events that are closer to the Bay anyway.
Runs; With Scissors

Camp Name: love potion

Postby clocksnmirrors » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

trilobyte wrote:I don't think we need something - I don't think the goal is to double capacity overnight or drastically change the event in any other way. I'm hopeful that the Pershing County nonsense can be resolved, and I think the location helps to make the event unique. I'd rather keep it as it is, and then look at bolstering and building up other events around the world. In my opinion the future isn't a Black Rock City with a population of 150K, it's 150 events approaching the size and scale we see now, scattered around the globe. None would be identical, they'd each develop their own character and flavor. Burning Seed, Burning Flipside, KiwiBurn, Collidiscope (Hawaii regional burn), and the list goes on.

i like your vision. i'd love to see a south florida event on this scale
clocksnmirrors

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:20 pm

wherever you go, there you burn.
Attachments
allyouneed.jpg
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:26 am

wherever it is, im sure Daft Punk will be Playing.
Attachments
burningTron.jpg
burningTron.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby 5280MeV » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:59 pm

trilobyte wrote: In my opinion the future isn't a Black Rock City with a population of 150K, it's 150 events approaching the size and scale we see now, scattered around the globe. None would be identical, they'd each develop their own character and flavor.

I agree that growth is going to the regionals. That is where I have headed, after being late on the bandwagon to BRC in 2011, I was impressed by Alchemy in 2012 and am focusing my effort there. I just want to build stuff, and it is hard to do that when airplanes are involved. I can't imagine that I am the only one, although there must also be many people for which the playa is worth the additional difficulty.

My prediction of size and scale would be more along the lines of 5-10k. Right now it seems that regionals are topping out at about 3-4k, with mixed feelings about growth in the community. The playa is very special. I don't think that North America has anything like it to offer for a location to do a burn. I think that barring some sort of decline or catastrophe, Burning Man will continue to draw people from all over the place - even people who choose a regional as their home burn.

Perhaps being insanely, outrageously big is part of the character and flavor of Burning Man itself.
5280MeV

Postby Elliot » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:01 pm

Burning Man is hardly outrageously big. The motorcycle rally in tiny Sturgis, South Dakota, draws tens times as many.
http://www.sturgis.com/2kstats.html
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:34 pm

Elliot wrote:Burning Man is hardly outrageously big. The motorcycle rally in tiny Sturgis, South Dakota, draws tens times as many.

Me no think this officially sanctioned regional, ugh?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:35 pm

Runs; With Scissors wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:I agree; the future is fewer, smaller, more diverse. I wish I hadn't missed that Wasteland Weekend thing.

You didn't miss much, unless you're into heat, foul people and a lot of moop.

There are other great events that are closer to the Bay anyway.

I guess the "Wasteland" part should have been a clue. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elliot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:59 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:
Elliot wrote:Burning Man is hardly outrageously big. The motorcycle rally in tiny Sturgis, South Dakota, draws tens times as many.

I just got tired of seeing BM described as very large, when it is not.
:D
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Rice » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Elliot wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:

I just got tired of seeing BM described as very large, when it is not.
:D

You are certainly correct, in comparison to many events Burning Man is but a small child. How many of these events function with mostly volunteers, happen in a desert 100's of miles from the nearest city and require a government inspection after the event is over??

I for one would love for BM to happen a little closer to me. 3000 KM is a long drive to go hang out in the desert with nothing but what I brought! Montana would be awesome...
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby 5280MeV » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Well, a blue whale is smaller than 747, but it is still a huge animal. It is big when put into the appropriate category.

If the category for comparison is a burn, defined by anything on the official regional burn list or even just calling itself a burn, then BRC is very large in comparison to any other burn. Outside of 'burns', I am not sure what the appropriate category for comparison would be.

If the category is simply 'event', and the method of comparison attendance figures, then I still think BM is on the larger side of events, although there are much bigger ones.
5280MeV

Postby Trishntek » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:59 pm

Seems to me no comparison to Sturgis or most other multi-day events.

Sturgis exists 24/7/365, Black Rock City does not.

Sturgis is a place with permanent installations of electricity, sewage system, running water and permanent shelters, Black Rock City is not.

Sturgis has paved streets, growing things including natural shade, Black Rock City does not.

Sturgis hosts 100s of thousands of motorcyclists dressed mostly in leather, steel and denim expecting entertainment, Black Rock City hosts 10s of thousands of multi-talented, radically expressive, organically creative, generous, grateful and unpretentious individuals seeking participation.

Not that all motorcyclists are not multi-talented, etc. I'm simply saying Sturgis is a single-themed event. Black Rock City is probably more diverse than Sturgis can imagine.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elliot » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Of course.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:07 pm

Waikiki.
Ugly Dougly

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:31 am

the thing about the playa that's hard to beat is the barrenness. no bugs. that's a huge plus, especially when dealing with portapotties and week old garbage
clocksnmirrors

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:55 am

clocksnmirrors wrote:the thing about the playa that's hard to beat is the barrenness. no bugs. that's a huge plus, especially when dealing with portapotties and week old garbage

there are enough bugs in most hippies shitlocks to infest Pasadena.

yeah, dont fall asleep on or touch ANYTHING in center camp....this includes the hippies there.

when you get back to i-80, buy a liter of RID-X and head to the truck stop in sparks with the showers...

throw ALL of your clothes and bedding away, and sterilize your car.

otherwise, you will bring the Burning Man back with you in more ways than one...

there....that should scare off about 2000 potential new burners who have issues with cooties and hygiene....You Know the Ones, they tend to live in Redwood City and drive Volvos to Zen Sessions.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:02 am

it's true, if you set your mind to it, you really Can make anyone cry, can't you...
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby clocksnmirrors » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:10 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:
clocksnmirrors wrote:the thing about the playa that's hard to beat is the barrenness. no bugs. that's a huge plus, especially when dealing with portapotties and week old garbage

there are enough bugs in most hippies shitlocks to infest Pasadena.
yeah, dont fall asleep on or touch ANYTHING in center camp....this includes the hippies there.
when you get back to i-80, buy a liter of RID-X and head to the truck stop in sparks with the showers...
throw ALL of your clothes and bedding away, and sterilize your car.
otherwise, you will bring the Burning Man back with you in more ways than one...

there....that should scare off about 2000 potential new burners who have issues with cooties and hygiene....You Know the Ones, they tend to live in Redwood City and drive Volvos to Zen Sessions.

:lol:

even as a newbie myself i witnessed one of the downsides to the huge influx of the non-initiated, mainly ridiculous amounts of moop
clocksnmirrors

Postby Bob » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:32 pm

clocksnmirrors wrote:the thing about the playa that's hard to beat is the barrenness. no bugs. that's a huge plus...

I fear you've been misinformed.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:34 pm

So in other words, you picked up a case of the crabs.

Welcome home.

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Killbuck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Ok, well maybe I missed it in this thread... but...

Singularity was held a number of years on Red Lake Playa... real nice and all, but the local county or counties saw $ in their eyes and rocketed the permit fees. It killed that location. Access was a problem too. Road way too small, too narrow and subject to weather destruction. Lastly it was nice for a smaller event, but I thought not nearly remote enough.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme