Hello from Houston!

Hello from Houston!

Postby PepeJaramillo1 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Hello!!

My name is Pepe, I'm currently living in Houston TX and I'm starting to plan my first solo Burning Man in 2013. Just wanted to say hi to everybody!

I've been reading all the preparation guides and researched stories from virgins and experienced burners from past years, and I feel the best way for me to do burning man would be to be an actual part of it, either by being a volunteer or being part of a group or installation, be a part of the community. I have started trying to communicate with the regional group over here in Houston, but I also wanted to introduce myself here to maybe get some tips and what would make the best choice to experience the burning man culture as a virgin.

Feel free to contact me for anything, I'm an engineer with vast experience in electrical design. I have also planned to put my skills in Spark, maybe something will come from there.

Cheers, see ya in 2013!
PepeJaramillo1

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Hello from Houston!

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:27 pm

Hi Pepe! :D

Putting your skills to work locally makes a ton of sense. It's quite likely that you could get in on a local build/local planning.

Volunteer opportunities are also here:
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

Note: most departments rely primarily on 2nd year attendees (or older) because it's very typical for new folks to arrive at the Burn and either be overwhelmed by heat, altitude, or overstimulation, making them slightly less reliable than returning Burners. There's also something to be said for having greater freedom your first Burn (especially if you are committed to a camp, which I promise you: is already sufficient commitment).

However, Lamplighters is one of several exceptions, and pre-registration is not required. Lamplighting is a daily walk-up opportunity located typically on Rod's Road in Center Camp. Show up just before 5pm, learn how to clean and fill and carry the lamps, don a robe, and then be part of the procession either carrying or lifting the lamps. Several hours total and you're done . . . and then there's a nightly sangria party afterward.

Welcome to the board.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:37 pm

Aye Pepe!!!
Welcome to eplaya!

Under Savannah's point, you might also want to consider working an Ice shift or 2. They're simple shifts about about 3 hours long. You can either move ice from the back of the truck to the front of the truck, move ice from the truck to the cash reg, or work the register. Pretty simple, doesn't take the whole week or even a whole day, and its a ton of fun.

Though, idea we're both trying to suggest, is don't bite off too much your first burn. There is SOOoooo MUCH to see and do that committing your self to any major obligations will be difficult. Most virgins find its best to prepare-prepare-prepare then totally play it by ear once you're there.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby lucky420 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Hola and hello Pepe!!

and yes even simpletons can work ice :wink:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:33 pm

:lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:38 pm

lucky420 wrote:and yes even simpletons can work ice :wink:

:shock: You mean, there's other sort of people that work ice?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:55 pm

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby PepeJaramillo1 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips guys! I'll try to keep it light on the commitments then!

See ya next year!! :D
PepeJaramillo1

Burning Since: 2013

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 pm

But do connect with your regional folks! You may end up solving a lot of logistical issues getting there, staying there, returning home.

Oh, and there are also vol opportunities with the Center Camp Cafe...serving thirsty BM denizens a variety of caffeinated beverages. Shifts are 4 hours 3, 7, 11 AM/PM.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 pm

You can deliver mail.

The Pottie Patrol takes new volunteers.
gyre

Return to Introduce Yourself!