One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby EmilyD » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I am finally, FINALLY done cleaning and putting our gear away. I actually finished last week but took a few days off the computer. Thumb injury made it all take so much longer but it is done, welllllll except the bikes! I did a first pass but they're still very dusty.
EmilyD

Postby Sham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 am

I picked up 40 bike locks today. No one will steal MY bike on the playa. :shock:

No, I will be gifting locks again this year. Bring your own, but if you forget, come and find me! (tall, handsome dude with an amazing superhero physique)
Sham

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Shambala! What an amazing gift idea. :o
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Shambala wrote: come and find me! tall, handsome dude with an amazing superhero physique

My God, somebody's kidnapped Shambala! Search the grounds for giant pods!
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Shambala wrote:I picked up 40 bike locks today. No one will steal MY bike on the playa. :shock:

No, I will be gifting locks again this year. Bring your own, but if you forget, come and find me! (tall, handsome dude with an amazing superhero physique)

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Sham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 pm

You're making me blush (again)!
Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:19 pm

Sham

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:12 pm

My RHPS Criminologist red velvet cravat finally arrived. HUzzah!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:25 pm

AntiM wrote:My RHPS Criminologist red velvet cravat finally arrived. HUzzah!

oooOOOooo. :D

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Savannah wrote:
AntiM wrote:My RHPS Criminologist red velvet cravat finally arrived. HUzzah!

oooOOOooo. :D

Just in time for next year!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm

It would be funny to walk around BRC as Janet in a bra and half slip, looking confused and overwhelmed. Maybe with a Brad, maybe not. :lol:

Savannah

Postby EmilyD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 pm

EmilyD

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 am

fun times.
On the camp gear front, I ordered a zero degree sleeping bag at great discount, and a new raincoat/shell. ready for some winter camping. but extra stuff to share if burner friends are low on gear.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:51 am

I don't know if this really counts but, I have been wondering when we will hear anything about the ticket structure for this year. It's almost November and shouldn't there be something going on with the Xmas time ticket sales? Or perhaps there won't be an early sale this year. I know curiosity killed the cat, but I would love to have some details. Even a little info would be grand.

And on another note - I am employed! YAY! I sign my offer letter this afternoon. It's a huge relief.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:55 am

Better they spend more time on it, and get it right (or as close to "right" as possible) than to rush it merely because we are bored and impatient. :twisted:

Congratulations on your employment, Danibel!!

Savannah

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Savannah wrote:Better they spend more time on it, and get it right (or as close to "right" as possible) than to rush it merely because we are bored and impatient. :twisted:

I agree. Right is better than rushed. But they have had a long time to ponder this situation. I know there are entire novels written on these boards about what they "should" do, so I won't go there. I do hope this is not the year of "Oh no! Another cluster!"

Savannah wrote:Congratulations on your employment, Danibel!!

Thank you! Now I know I can actually buy a ticket! LOL
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07 pm

danibel wrote:
Savannah wrote:Congratulations on your employment, Danibel!!

Thank you! Now I know I can actually buy a ticket! LOL

And I was thinking: This is the perfect time for Danibel to start a job! Plenty of time to build up goodwill & vacation time towards the Burn! :lol:

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:11 pm

No, no information. My guess is that the x-mas sales, if they happen, will be over used. No way are a couple of thousand tickets going to be enough for everyone who didn't get one in the "Main Sail" (okay, I"m using the wrong word) last year and has decided to get one in the pre-sale this year.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No, no information. My guess is that the x-mas sales, if they happen, will be over used. No way are a couple of thousand tickets going to be enough for everyone who didn't get one in the "Main Sail" (okay, I"m using the wrong word) last year and has decided to get one in the pre-sale this year.

So Fishy, you think there will be a pre-sale? It started in November last year. And I probably will not be able to participate if there is one this year. I just don't have the capital.

I am actually more interested in the pricing structure... Like all one price? Or will they keep the tiers? My wondering mind is kept occupied by all these thoughts. It's not like I have anything better to think about! :lol:
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:10 pm

You'll get information when it's ready to be announced. ;) Last year preliminary information was announced on the 11th (just enough to get people into a panic), and then details were announced on November 18th. For all we know there may not even be a pre-sale.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:42 pm

danibel wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:No, no information. My guess is that the x-mas sales, if they happen, will be over used. No way are a couple of thousand tickets going to be enough for everyone who didn't get one in the "Main Sail" (okay, I"m using the wrong word) last year and has decided to get one in the pre-sale this year.

So Fishy, you think there will be a pre-sale? It started in November last year. And I probably will not be able to participate if there is one this year. I just don't have the capital.

I am actually more interested in the pricing structure... Like all one price? Or will they keep the tiers? My wondering mind is kept occupied by all these thoughts. It's not like I have anything better to think about! :lol:

I think that based on how things occurred last year that there will be much revamping. I also think that trying to predict what will happen is a waste of time and energy. I also think that if there is a presale, it will be swamped.
And, finally, I think it is sad that Americans don't know how to use the subjunctive, or even what it is. I think it might be leaving the language. I wonder what sort of replacement might arise and fear it will take a couple generations to emerge. By which time, I will be long dead, and unable to admire the tenacity of verbal expression.
Or, see BoxBurner in the "assumptions" thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Sorry. I just kinda of blazed past your whole post when I saw xmas sales and overused, I didn't see the "if." But thanks for giving me a word to look up (subjunctive). It led me to conjunction, which then reminded me of school house rock "conjunction junction what's your function?!" And there I read that a lot of English teachers have learned us to not start sentences with and, but, or, yet, and so. Posh posh I say. I start my sentences any old way I want to. So there.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:54 pm

Oh, I love sentence fragments, for instance, and start a lot of sentences with "but". And, in the hottest punctuation argument in my life, I'm pro-Oxford comma. i can get bauhaus on capitalization, as well. But, I know how to do it right in a more formal setting.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:09 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh, I love sentence fragments, for instance, and start a lot of sentences with "but". And, in the hottest punctuation argument in my life, I'm pro-Oxford comma. i can get bauhaus on capitalization, as well. But, I know how to do it right in a more formal setting.

Sometimes I just want a like button on eplaya. Trilo?! Any chance? LOL Just kidding. About the like button. Not the post. I like the post.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Oh, I love sentence fragments, for instance, and start a lot of sentences with "but". And, in the hottest punctuation argument in my life, I'm pro-Oxford comma. i can get bauhaus on capitalization, as well. But, I know how to do it right in a more formal setting.

I love to start sentences with "and", or ellipses. I know I'm not supposed to, but that's the rhythm of how I think and speak. :D

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Savannah wrote:

I love to start sentences with "and", or ellipses. I know I'm not supposed to, but that's the rhythm of how I think and speak. :D

Which is exactly why you should do it that way. Especially in an informal situation like this. I end a lot of my sentences with ellipses. I actually looked it up and was disappointed that it didn't mean what I think it means... I use it as a way of saying, think about that, or, what do you think comes next.
I don't know how I picked that up. I assume I was taught that, because it's an old habit. ~shrug~
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Savannah wrote:

Which is exactly why you should do it that way. Especially in an informal situation like this. I end a lot of my sentences with ellipses. I actually looked it up and was disappointed that it didn't mean what I think it means... I use it as a way of saying, think about that, or, what do you think comes next.
I don't know how I picked that up. I assume I was taught that, because it's an old habit. ~shrug~

I completely agree!
I'm pretty terrible about starting with But, or Though,
I hate having to write properly. Especially because I've become really bad it, and I partially blame eplaya, and text messaging.
I have a tendency to start a new line every time I change thoughts, or feel I've made a point. Sort of like a poem or something along those lines. Like each line is its own paragraph.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:46 pm

illy dilly wrote:I completely agree!
I hate having to write properly. Especially because I've become really bad it, and I partially blame eplaya, and text messaging.
I have a tendency to start a new line every time I change thoughts, or feel I've made a point. Sort of like a poem or something along those lines. Like each line is its own paragraph.

You can always treat that as your first draft. Even formal writing benefits from the spontaneity of that first recording of the ideas. Depending on exactly what type of reading you're going for...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I completely agree!

You can always treat that as your first draft. Even formal writing benefits from the spontaneity of that first recording of the ideas. Depending on exactly what type of reading you're going for...

I prefer the "Write and Send!" (or write and post) method.
I feel like you get more accurate approach, doesn't give you a chance to change/polish what you actually mean/want to say. :wink:
Or, i'm lazy
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby tattoogoddess » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Tom and I sat down and wrote out a list of everything we need to buy this year along with meals for the week sense we are getting a food saver for Christmas, yippy! First bm purchase...2 au ju packets. Hey you have to start somewhere right?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks