All About Participating in the Pottie Project

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Re: All About Participating in the Pottie Project

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info! It's good understanding where the rules come from.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Yep, I don't just pull them outta my ass.
bbadger - I hope you make it to the meet n greet cause I made a special butt-in for you.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:19 pm

Good Morrow Poopers!
Presenting the Potte Project 2012 FINAL WIPE-UP!

It was actually an OK year for shit, Campers. Steve, the Field Manager of USS and Mike, the Site Operations Manager, informed me that the amount of garbage in the potties was about the same as last year. But we’ve been doing so well these last couple years! My only explanation for this was a 10% increase in newbie population that caused this STATISTICAL slip. Overall, there was a net decrease in baby-wipes, but an increase in what I call “party trash”. This is general trash, cans, bottles, whateverthefuck… garbage that doesn’t belong there! So the work continues relentless. The mission of the Pottie-Project is to get the message into everyone’s head, even when they don’t give a shit about anything else! I get to see the horror and it’s not pretty. Next year if I’m able to split the city, I’m hoping to get back on track.

USS and the Glopeta-Glopeta Machine
For all you Campers that didn’t get to come out with me to JotS Camp this year, you missed quite the treat! The Glopeta-Glopeta Machine! This is basically a huge dryer-shaped tube that slowly spins the sludge, sifting it of garbage. This is WAY more efficient and safe than the cyclone fence separator. We still had a stupid amount of trash in the toilets, but their crew was able to process it without incident or injury that I’m aware of. Congratulations guys on an excellent decision.

There was one important improvement suggestion by Steve: he recommended: a NO PARKING sign on both sides of each bank set about 20’ from the doors. There was a problem this year of people parking their cars too close to the banks and the trucks had difficulty getting through. I’m thinking something with a picture of a forklift would be appropriate. I’m passing this on to HazMatt to present to DPW, as it would involve drilling two posts at each bank. Great idea!

VOLUNTEERS: participating in the BEST job in BRC!
Black Rock Army and Stag Camp were my go-to camps for volunteers this year. Due to the amazing managerial expertise of these two camps, I was able to recruit enough enthusiastic volunteers for the entire week. Thank you very much CO, Smashy, Motsky Plowman and gosh EVERYONE who helped get people into my car!

This was Gonzo Frothwood’s 5th year out there. Once again, he carried me thru the event with amazing stamina and patience. His role is as well crucial – he educates and leads by example my volunteers. While I’m spewing forth on the bullhorn or wrangling Pottie Friends, he and the volunteers are distributing tp to the units and mooping the area. He reports that he often is asked about excremental correctness by participants while he’s working, and of course he knows the answers. Excellent backup! Let’s give a round of applause to Gonzo Frothwood for his amazing commitment!

For 12 years, I’ve been begging…BEGGING for full-time help with the Pottie Project. All this time, other than Gonzo’s assistance, I’ve only been able to get short-time, albeit enthusiastic and extraordinarily committed volunteers. This year toward of the event, CO, Mayor of MASH 4207th asked me to hire him for next year. HOLY SHIT ON A THIN SLICE! I was truly floored when he asked me. I graciously accepted his commitment, and advised him that what I truly want to do is to split the city. I HAVE GOT TO SPLIT THE CITY!!! I can’t keep doing this shit at 2 mph and do anything close to what I believe to be a decent job! The fucking time sucker is now driving time! I spew forth on the PA with PSA’s the whole time that I’m not negotiating my way thru an intersection, but FUCK it’s grueling!

So I told him: there are two things that he must be able to do to pull this off: One – he must be loud and proud. He then looked to Oregon Red, and she looked at him. They both said – yep I can do that. Heh! If there’s one person that can take this bull by the proverbial horns, its CO. The other thing that I said he must have is to be vehicle mobile, to which he replied: “Gawd damn it Robbi! You’re MAKING me build an Art Car?!? By his own admission, he’d wanted to get a tank for years, and he now has a mission to build The Septic Tank, outfitted with a pants cannon to launch toilet paper rolls to his volunteers. Nice performance art idea! Good luck CO!

The Pottie-Friend program got even better this year! Throughout the city, I was able to front load tp for the event and they stayed on top of it thru the whole week. I am sincerely grateful for their efforts in helping with this important community effort. I’ll apologize in advance for mis-writing/remembering camp names, or those that helped that I didn’t get on my list:

Purple Rain
Thomas & Marta @ Campo Santo
Rocky & Wes @ Camp Beer Belly
CRAIG! (what a beautiful man)
Lee @ Dirty Mitts
Jasmine @ Elbow Camp (I call them the elbow lickers – long story)
Phil & Kenny @ The Pottie Pigs! Holy shit – they are amazing!
Sarah (you know who you are)
Bounce – sorry I couldn’t find you again.
Spirit Dream – what a lovely group!
Jesse & James @ Birch tree
Tabasco @ Iron Monkey
Robin Hood and Capt Visqually @ Wet Dreams
Sojay Jomo
Crystal and DanD
Casa de HoustErin
Adam @ The Crossing
Feral @ LAF
Ian @ Camp Stop, Don’t Stop
Stag Camp!!!!!
Bill @ Heaven’s Devils
Biffy Bar and Lavatory Lounge – Cripes! What a party!
John & Tiki
Gabriel, Sabastian, and Jason – lovely gents!

Part of the responsibility of being a Pottie Friend is just keeping an eye on things, and I leave the level of scrutiny up to these camps. Some are better than others, to be sure. One complaint I heard from a couple PF camps this year early on was about “hovered” units. When I encountered a “hovered” unit – one where some lame-brained jerk crapped on the seat – I’d zip the unit so nobody would have to witness this catastrophe. An NOBODY wants to get “hovered”. When it came up, I instructed my Pottie-Friends to zip the units should they discover this horror. Steve is ok with this procedure. These instructions will be included on next year’s Pottie Friend laminate.

Back to Poop Patrol: Thank you CO for posting my call out for volunteers at your front door! Just for the record, here’s the job description:
The shift is 4 hours long, or whatever works the best for you.
Help Gonzo and RobbiDobbs distribute toilet paper to camps in line of sight of the pottie banks so they can keep us in paper AT NIGHT.
Spread the word about Excremental Correctness
Make the USS guys happy.
Promote the Adopt a Potty-Bank program.
Make sure RobbiDobbs stays hydrated and sane.

This last item is crucial and not bullshit. Volunteerism isn’t just about humming toilet paper. Sometimes it’s just making sure Robbi doesn’t go off the deep end. I’m pulling down 12 hour days, and with the WHOLE FUCKING CITY in my head, I forget to take care of myself. I have SO MUCH LOVE for my volunteers for staying on task. Note to self: a quart jug is the perfect size to refill and keep filled. If I feel weird (!), just STOP and empty that jug. This totally worked as a general protocol. As it was, I did have a melt-down on Friday afternoon, but it was remarkably short-lived. When it hit, I immediately stopped at the closest Pottie-Friend’s camps – Craig’s. Gonzo and he chatted while I cried it out and drank the damn playa-punch until the endorphins kicked in. Thank you Craig! I also had a bad turn at DPW Depot on Monday due to mild heatstroke, but I got rescued. I’d also like to thank Ranger Sasquatch. Nobody messed with his Robbi this year.

Poop Patrol and Pottie Friend isn’t the only volunteer needs of the Pottie Project. Oh hell no! It can also be a camp that is just always there as a support. On Wednesday, I was on 7 days without a shower, and I was getting fucking SURLY! Due to scheduling conflicts thru normal channels, at the end of my proverbial rope, I went to my favorite chill camp: Barbie Death Camp, and begged Doc Pyro to help me. Like the managerial wizard that he is, he made this happen. What a huge difference a single, albeit engineeringly difficult, relief this was. Thank you Doc and the participants at BDC/WB that made warm water flow! On Monday, I was able to secure a 2nd shower. Thank you Mike! I cannot start to tell you how important that gift was!

After the event, I stumbled upon Medic 26’s camp. Apparently, she’d wanted to hook up with me all event to get the low-down on my art project. Pre-event, she’s inundated with virginal enthusiasm, and ESD just can’t put these good people to work in her venue. She’d known about my project for a while, and as playadipity will serve – I ran into her randomly! We had a lovely chat at her camp with her gracious S.O. who served me chilled Snapple tea. Email addresses were exchanged etc. I believe this could be the beginning of an excellent resource. Thank you Medic 26!

PARTICIPANT ART: positive attention is always appreciated
I just LOVE it when participants take their creative juices and decorate the porta-johns! We had several groups this year decorating the units and entertaining the poopulation.
The Potty-razzi: this camp would watch for someone to go into a unit. They’d then roll out a red carpet, and about a dozen people would greet the unsuspecting participant with WILD enthusiasm ala Hollywood.
Butler service: a butler with theater stands would “seat” a participant. Comfort offerings included scented oils and ass-gaskets. I heard a line formed at this unit even though there were open ones available.
The Fabulous Bathrooms sign and Toilet Bowl game: on open-playa banks, there was unattended entertainment for the excreting masses. Nice.
The greeting card tunes in the random units all over the city continued. I think people look forward to them now! I always smile when I first find one.
Biffy Bar and Lavatory Lounge: at the 8:30 inner bank this camp set up an open walled tent with a bar and lounge that served coconut water. They had music on HUGE speakers and a regular party went on all week. They were outstanding!
The Potty Pigs: Phil and Kenny for the 13th year generously served at the 4:00 inner bank. They provide a comfort station table with a protected stand of TP, baby-wipes (and trash basket), and a plethora of goos for the masses. I love you guys!

NOT SO NICE STUFF: when good intentions go foul
Pre and post event USS zips up the central units so they’re not used. This is to make cleaning more efficient. There are some misguided but no doubt community minded citizens that are under the belief that these units were forgotten or otherwise being “blocked” from use. The zipties are being popped by these participants. These units don’t have tp or blue schmoo and units are freed up/shut down as the population increases/decreases. Next year, I’ll make specific signs about the zipties for the exterior to notify the population that they are there for a purpose and are to be left on.

Every year it’s the same bullshit – somebody who doesn’t enjoy the smell of effluvium, puts a smoldering stick of incense with an intensely strong smell in a unit, and walks away, comfortable in their community minded efforts. Ok, let’s go over this: you’ve just put SMOKE in a plastic BOX that can get up to 120 DEGREES! The next person inadvertently goes in, and WHOOF! They’re stuck there for the duration of their ablution. There were two (2) complaints I heard from the USS guys, and this was one of them. THEY COMPLAINED ABOUT THE SMELL!!! I’ve included this in my Pottie Friend laminate for years but I guess I need to include more signs on the subject.

My boss, HazMatt asked me pre-event to take pictures of any egregious behavior at the portos, as there will be a file made of these instances. I only saw two (2) examples, and got pictures to prove it. One was late in the event- a porto at the 9:00 inner bank, that had caution tape and two (2) bins zip-tied to the chimney. They were both filled with trash and the urinal was filled with trash too, plus all over the floor! I didn’t see a urinal with this much trash in it in the entire city! This was a perfect example of “degradation of resources” that I’ve been going on about for years. Once one person puts trash somewhere, other’s think this is ok, and the moop factory begins. Gonzo reported mid-event he saw one potty with a basket of bottles, yet not one of them had a lid on it! Your guess on what happened to those lids.

The second example of bad behavior was post-event on North-side – there was a shit-load of gray water buckets left around a urinal. I had to deal with the random trashbags left there but didn’t have the resources to deal with the buckets of fluid. What a clusterfuck!

MY ART: how I do that thing that I do.
So many things went right this year! Pre-event, Motsky, Plowman, Gonzo and I were able to get all the exterior signs up by Sunday dusk. This was only possible due to 95% of the units were ones returning from previous events, so they most likely already had interior signs. I dodged this logistic bullet this year, but have no illusions of escaping it next year. There are a plethora of interior signs that were introduced to the pantheon this year that didn’t get exposed, so next year I fully intend to get the old ones replaced. There are a LOT more wonderful pooems that need to be enjoyed. One major improvement was we had multi-colored duct tape for the exterior signs. Very eye-catching! Next year I’m hoping we can continue with this – extraordinarily effective in getting attention.

A few weeks pre-event I had an epiphany that made a HUGE difference in managing pottie logistics in our JINOURMOUS city. In the last 2 years I was using the greeters map to keep track of what banks got signed and tp’d during the event. This truly beats keeping this bullshit in my head certainly. This year I just made up a spreadsheet of all the banks with space to write in the Pottie Friend camp names. THIS FUCKING ROCKED!

The Pottie Project is fundamentally an advertising campaign, and taking the message off-playa is as well part of what I do. I monitor ePlaya, and have many folks all over the internet watching my back and keeping the message straight. For the first time pre-event, I was interviewed by Nico for a documentary on the BM infrastructure, porta-potties being essential (to be sure!). Once on-playa though, it’s usually just me and the microphone. Previously, I’ve had scarce interest by those of the Media ilk, but this year this turned around suddenly and without any effort on my part. BTW: not ONCE have I been asked for my real name on a consent form, or any piece of paper for that matter. This year I had three (3) media people ask for this! I was video interviewed, photographed and had a volunteer who joined the Pottie Crew, and learned the ins-and outs of the Pottie Project. You were terrific MK! I’m just hoping that I get to see some of this published. Call me a slut. I’ve wanted my spew published for years, and it just might happen this year!

POTTIE SCHWAG: Keeping the message on people’s bodies
This year was the year for schwag for the Dept of Excremental Correctness. I made 103 2.5” buttons that said “I KNOW HOW TO GO AT BURNINGMAN” and Box Burner’s “I GIVE A SHIT, DO YOU?” These were a huge success! Gonzo and I saw these buttons proudly worn throughout the city. Marketing works! This is how Nike does it; this is how CocaCola does it. Get the slogan out there and the message will follow! I have about 100 more blanks for next year, so you can bet we’ll keep this going.

In years past, I’ve spent an excessive amount of time shopping at thrift stores for t-shirts that were about 99 cents. I just didn’t have the time or resources to do this kind of shopping this year. About spring, I had also read that the price of cotton had skyrocketed this year, so I made an executive decision to just buy them at $1.49/ea from a website. Buying them in bulk saved me a crap-load of gas and shopping time. The upshot is that I have a terrific stock for next year, and will only buy about a couple dozen to fill in.

One day mid-event I was walking thru Kommissary with my volunteers when someone asked me if I was starting a cult. “I’m doing my best!” was my answer. The uniformity of the t-shirts gives that impression, and is very effective when our group is mooping a potty bank. I’m hoping that past volunteers wear their shirts casually in their playa travels. CO informed me that he proudly wore his “Thank you for giving a shit” t-shirt on Burn Night. Wow! That’s the spirit!

The other schwag we gifted was at a much lower capital outlay. By his own admission, Gonzo is addicted to Altoids, so he’s been saving the cans all year. This year he spray painted them with textured paint then shined them with shit-brown glossy paint. They looked like shit! On the backside (heh) they had a sticker with PoopingMan, the “Thank you for Giving a Shit” logo, and the baby-wipe message. Gonzo’s showing no signs of slowing down his couriously minty addiction, so we’ll have more to give away next year. They are a movable advertising piece that is both educational and practical.

DOING IT WRONG: Lessons learned
Every year I bring out a sack of sunglasses to gift should my volunteers be shade-free. It turned out that it was my year to consume sunglasses. I thought I had the perfect pair, and they quickly gave me a headache! So I chose a different pair, and they slipped and sucked. I went to a 3rd pair, and they were too big too! So I went to a fourth pair that I didn’t like much, but they at least fit right. They served me for the rest of the event although I looked like I had a uni-brow. Fuck it. Next year, the mission is to test-drive sunglasses pre-event as of June 1 so I don’t have to fuck around like I did this year.

My job absolutely requires that I am loud and proud all week! This involves a bullhorn and a PA. This year was the Microphone Fiasco! On the same day, my PA microphone clicker and my bullhorn microphone clicker failed. I discovered this at about the 7:30 bank, so I bounced the spew off the back wall. I knew I was fucked! After my spew, I deadheaded to Stag Camp to seek out engineering assistance. Motsky was not up to regulation lucidity specs, but was able to secure the assistance of a stagger who hardwired the mic to always on. No problem, I have lots of C batteries! I was back in business! Thank you again Motsky and Stag for your generosity of talent! The PA clicker had basically the same solution, so I was good for the remainder of the week, but a new bullhorn and PA microphone re-engineering is definitely in the queue.

CONCLUSION: It all came out ok in the end
At the end of the event, Steve sat with me in their lovely shade at JotS Camp, and we reviewed the week. The one thing that I have to report to you amazing fans of shitters is that he said that Jose, the talented supervisor that manages the glopeta-glopeta machine, was SMILING at the end of the week. This was Jose’s fourth year out there, and he had a good time! Throughout the week, I check in with the drivers and employees while they’re working or at JotS Camp, and overall, they seemed glad to be there. I heard very few complaints, no horror stories, and no shit storms! One employee said we were WAY better than Bonaroo. That’s because it’s BURNINGMAN! We KNOW how to go!

You can all give yourself a hand! Given the skewed newbie population, we still pulled it off. Ultimately the Pottie Project is about making USS happy that they’re with us. And it’s also about ensuring that participants are having a positive excremental experience EACH AND EVERY TIME. SO many people are responsible for keeping the Digestive System of the Man flowing smoothly, and I’m deeply grateful for the role you played in this. You get it!

In closing, once again, thank you. I wouldn’t be able to do it without such an amazing group of people.

Have a pleasant Decompression,
RobbiDobbs clear
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Postby Savannah » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:47 pm

Amazing AfterPotty Report, Robbidobbs!!

It was so fun to see you so frequently this year. :D (I daresay Stag Camp enjoyed your presentation quite a bit.)

I noticed the increase in random trash in the potties this year myself (quite surreal!) . . . but I'm glad to hear the wipes continue to decrease! I think people are finally starting to plan ahead about packing the wipes out. It's probably a very strange thing for the average new Burner to contemplate.

Another fantastic year for the potties.

This Burner thanks you!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:48 pm

robbidobbs wrote:USS and the Glopeta-Glopeta Machine
For all you Campers that didn’t get to come out with me to JotS Camp this year, you missed quite the treat! The Glopeta-Glopeta Machine! This is basically a huge dryer-shaped tube that slowly spins the sludge, sifting it of garbage. This is WAY more efficient and safe than the cyclone fence separator. We still had a stupid amount of trash in the toilets, but their crew was able to process it without incident or injury that I’m aware of. Congratulations guys on an excellent decision.

Too cool. Sorry I missed it.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:53 pm

I so want you in my car someday Fishy! You'd be the bomb on the Pottie PA!
Savannah: thank you again for helping wrangle staggers. I thoroughly enjoyed my guest appearance at your camp meeting.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:09 pm

I just saw an interview by Fuse Festivals of Arlen at Bonnaroo. I totally want to interview this guy!
I'm not finding him thru googling, so if anyone can forward my interest, much appreciated.

I saw what he was able to do at a "small" venue, and I have some good advice.
Thanks!
robbidobbs

Postby The CO » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:17 am

Yeppers, I'm looking for the right base vehicle for the Septic Tank already.

This was my last year working with the Oregon Fire Conclave, and I need a gig for upcoming burns. I can think of no better department than the port-o-pottie project.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:58 pm

I am so grateful to you CO for jumping into the Pottie Project! I wish you luck in finding the perfect host for the Septic Tank.
The PP is an amazing opportunity for funnage and punnage. I'm truly looking forward to see how you run with this new adventure.Thank you!

In other nooze:
I was just perusing the web for anything pottie related, and stumbled upon this missive by Tomchickery:
“Just remember, if you’re standing there about to throw a bit of trash in the crapper, some person is going to have to fish that thing out. It doesn’t just magically go away, you are making someone handle your trash and separate it from the stream of human waste. You don’t want that karma, really you don’t.”

He just got a sign.
robbidobbs

Postby skyhawkecks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:03 am

I take it a separate group of burners were responsible for the "Aroma Thera Potty project" that was happening at the 4:30 & H potties?
skyhawkecks

Burning Since: 2011

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:19 pm

yes.
robbidobbs

Postby CaffeineGirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 am

RobbiDobbs, saw this and it somehow reminded me so much of you and Gonzo. Miss our morning chats over the espresso machine!

publicrestroomsheader_wm.jpg
CaffeineGirl

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: EspressoCamp/Black Rock Power Coop

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:14 pm

I think that was needed at one of the rave camp pottie-banks.
Thanks! That's delightfully fucked up.
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 pm

I just need to post this out loud: Steve gets my vote for best manager on the Playa. He is a kind, thoughtful and generously flexible and compassionate man. I got to watch him handle situations that would have spun others. Such grace and style!
So, if any of you Poopers are listening, please gift the drivers and compliment them. The word will get back.
robbidobbs

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:55 pm

Any suggestions for gifts?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:07 pm

factory sealed beverages. Hard alcohol for preference. Beer is nice too. And they love t-shirts. Performance art is nice while they're working. Hugs, handshakes and nice words are good too.
robbidobbs

Postby Box Burner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:36 pm

Hi Robbi!

Been away from the playa too long. Miss you, Gonzo and the bull horn.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 pm

I've been away from ePlaya too long. I miss you too BB.

Now for pottie situation status: I fucked up. I learned from it.
This may not be sufficient.
Note to self: do not lose sight of what the PP mission truly is.
That is all.
robbidobbs

Postby Savannah » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:01 pm

What? I hope everything's okay, Robbidobbs.

I composed a snarky potty poem the other day at the gym. Hopefully it will come back to me. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby ygmir » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 pm

*waves at Robbidobbs*
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby SoundMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 pm

Greeting Potty Project folk from the crew at PAudiotron! Read about how we are bringing the PAudiotron audio experience to 100 potties in 2013. Here is a link to the eplaya post about the PAudiotron:

viewtopic.php?f=321&t=64096

Extreme care has gone into making sure that the PAudiotron will be squeaky LNT. But in case of any issues that your team notices, I'm your contact to get them resolved. If there is anyway we can collaborate to the benefit of the potties (and a happy USS), let's do it.

One thing I noticed was that there is a remote possibility that a port-a-potty with a PAudiotron unit inside could get zipped for reasons outside of anything having to do with the PAudiotron. When we go around to uninstall PAudiotron units, if we encounter a zipped unit, we will snip it, and rezip it. Is there anything particular about the nylon ties you guy use to zip potties? What are the specs of the ties so that I can have them on hand?

Another question I have is about waterproofing the PAudiotron units. Each unit will be encased with a latex glove and should withstand what my experience tells me its water exposure will be. My question is, how agressive do the USS guys get when then hose down? Does the glove need to be secured against firehose direct attack? The unit will be installed just over the left shoulder of a potty sitter through an existing vent screen hole.

PAudiotron Mgmt/Sound Man
SoundMan

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Burning Silicon

Postby lemur » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm

expect a big hose down.

how will you determine if a thing has been stolen or has fallen into the hole ?

..you should make the fallen in the hole thing avoidable/obvious somehow.. (WE GOT A FLOATER)

cuz you dont want those things unknowingly sucked up.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

lemur wrote:cuz you dont want those things unknowingly sucked up.

Personally, I prefer those alien abductions where I am unknowingly sucked up to those where I'm conscious all the time.
Unless the suppressed memories resurface, of course.

Sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby SoundMan » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 pm

Lemur:...you should make the fallen in the hole thing avoidable/obvious somehow...cuz you dont want those things unknowingly sucked up.

Yes, falling in the hole is REALLY bad. Attachment goes like this:

1) A screw, securely attached to the unit, securely attached to the potty through an existing vent screen hole.

2) Theft reduction: The nut on the screw will resist finger and normal wrench removal.

Sound Man
SoundMan

Postby robbidobbs » Wed May 01, 2013 5:08 pm

Greetings Soundman!
Thank you for participating in the largest participatory art installation on the Playa!

Your sound art is truly appreciated. My primary concern is what is the weakest link in this setup.
Consider the grating is 1/4'" thick. One only need to yank on the device to release it by breaking the plastic bit that holds it.
My suggestion is to secure it instead to the vent post (zipties/duct tape for preference). This would make the duct tape/zip ties be the weakest link. My concern is that once the grating is damaged it will live with us theoretically forever.

Please consider the possibility of someone wanting this device (and it is very cool I must say). Assume at least one will be lifted. BTW: I'm violently opposed to theft generally.

I look forward to meeting you on the Playa. Please PM me with where you live. Gonzo and I will be living at Terminal City/404 Village Not Found on South side.

Yours in excremental enjoyment,
RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator, Special Projects (Porta-potties)
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed May 01, 2013 5:14 pm

Oops forgot (my connection crashed).

Thank you Sound Man for posting on my thread. This is highly appreciated.

To answer your question: if you want to zip-tie the units after installation. The ones recommended are 11" industrial grade zip-ties. They're also recommended to use if you should see a unit that's been "hovered" (when someone shat on the seat).
ZIP THAT SHIT!

Have fun!
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby SoundMan » Wed May 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Consider the grating is 1/4'" thick. One only need to yank on the device to release it by breaking the plastic bit that holds it.

Most intelligent and considered feedback! Yay! Two points to consider:

1) A washer on the outside of the grating will strengthen it considerable, making it exceedingly difficult to yank, even with "extreme prejudice".

2) I will endeavor to make the PAudiotron to screw connection less robust than the screw to grating. If they REALLY want the silly $11 unit, they can have it.

It is all about having USS continue to love us at the end of the event!

And I will consider the zip tie to vent placement. It is just that this will guarantee a 10% to 30% theft rate (from a long time Burner who knows that folks will think of these as street sign souvenirs). At the very least, let's us BE IN TOTAL CONTACT, so that if something goes south, we/I can jump on it and limit the impact. Deal?

Sound Man
SoundMan

Postby robbidobbs » Sun May 05, 2013 9:06 am

Sounds good SM.
Let me know where you'll be living so we can hook up. I'd love to have you join us on Poop Patrol too!
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:28 pm

Howdy Campers!
I haven't posted for a couple months, but I thought it prudent to keep y'all updated.
I'm going to be embarking on a new idea this year and because of my limited skill set, am searching for a helping hand. I will be bringing a video camera out on Poop Patrol with us. I'm in search of someone with videography experience to "man" the camera and shoot some gigs of me spewing forth at the porta-johns. It occurred to me several times that my boss has never seen my show. Well, I can make this happen if only I had another set of hands. (Gonzo's busy w tp and doesn't have the experience I'm looking for).

This reminds me of a scene from several years back: It was night and I was in full panic shit storm mode. I asked TITWI if I could mount a poster on the inside of the tits as advertising about porta-potty etiquette. The tits were FULL of participants that night. I called out to the crowd: "I'M LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO CAN DO LETTERING WITH A SPRAY CAN!" A lovely gent volunteered, and he made me a poster out of a scarf. Fabulous!

So beautiful camper, if you want join Poop Patrol behind a camera, let me know. It's a fun and cush gig.

Thank you for your participation,
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:19 pm

Greeting Campers!
This is a "rough draft" of the final wipe-up, and I'm sitting at a bar, so YMVM.

First off: PORTA POTTIE WON BURNINGMAN THIS YEAR!
No fucking shit, we accomplished so much under extraordinary circumstances I am ON MY KNEES with gratitude for the amazing logistic wizardry of Mike, Steve and the rest of the USS crew. Seriously folks, this was the worse shit storm in my 13 years career. It wasn't trash, it wasn't sabotage, it was fucking VOLUME. By the end of the Event I was handing out zip-ties and talking about Gatorade caps.
In short, the volume of shit our fair city was producing was more than what was expected by USS. We KNOW volume. We know how much excrement will be produced by: X number of participants, that drink alcohol, with so many women, in an extreme camping experience. Logistics depend upon knowing the right numbers, and we can do the math. Bottom line: the trucks were filling up before their run was complete!

What the fuck is up with Gatorade caps? These are exactly the right size to get up into the hose and stick at the valve. The truck then has to be taken back to JotS Camp and the hose dissembled to get it out. Right. You've just made a 10 min job turn into a 45 min job. This was seriously jacking their schedule. I personally heard of a watermelon rind doing exactly the same thing. This is how small our margin of error became dear camper.

What saved our ass:

The CO of MASH 4027 volunteered full time this year. He took over the Deep South (2:00 to 3:30). He was foot mobile with a trolley all week delivering TP to those banks. More importantly, he talked with all the camps in that region about Excremental Correctness. He told me that on Friday morning (!) the 2:00 inner porta-potties were full but tidy. This is truly amazing! The word had successfully gone out to treat them with respect. If we can make this happen throughout the city, our troubles will be over.

It was unbelievable this year: the level of trash didn't compare to the shear volume of excrement. We actually did a miraculous job getting people on line with regards to trash. Ok, it wasn't perfect, but cripes! We did ok considering.

Now, what if we were to quadrant out the entire city with sergeants to monitor a few streets? This would be a huge improvement for everyone!. The CO has expressed his commitment to release me of the burden of whoring for volunteers. I told him flatly that this couldn't be accomplished with a 2x4, but I appreciate his efforts. He has "the golden finger" of management. Truly, if we can just get this City quardranted up, I could focus on what I do best - inspiring people to do the right thing. My failing is that I'm a shit poor manager, and I desperately need his help on this.

I was in receipt of only one criticism this year from USS: Entitlement Camp RV users. They were disrespecting, nay threatening(!) the USS drivers into sucking their RV shit. I'm sorry, but they have a schedule. One driver told me that one "participant" had handed him a wad of money to do the job outside his schedule, and he threw the money back at him, telling him his money's no good here. THAT'S RIGHT! Respect is hard currency in BRC. This is his home, and we are guests, and we need to show him respect. PERIOD! I discussed this issue with both Steve (field manager of USS) and HazMatt (my boss). What came of this discussion is HazMatt wants to move this issue to Placement. OK kids, if you don't play nice with USS, then you can take it up with Placement.

I'll just let that one settle in. Don't fuck with the pottie-cleaners.

One thing that came to the fore this year was the necessity of getting the word out that every participant needs to keep a few zip ties on their person at all times. I CAN'T FIX STUPID! There continues to be people that choose to shit on the toilet seats, and I don't want another participant to see or accidentally sit on that. Gonzo got "hovered" last year, and I don't want anyone to experience that catastrophe. So next year I have decided to make a sign that is: Pottie Etiquette Defined, that will include this recommendation. I had terrific success with the "This is not Bullshit" signs this year, that enumerated the USS requests:
NO PARKING 20 FEET FROM THE UNIT DOORS - THEY NEED TRUCK CLEARANCE.
IF YOU SEE THEM ROLLING IN, GET THE BIKES OUT OF THE WAY.
IF THEY ARE SERVICING THE UNITS, WAIT FOR THEM TO WAIVE YOU IN.
IF THERE IS A ZIP-TIE ON THE DOOR - DO NOT REMOVE IT.
IT IS THERE FOR A GOOD REASON AND IT WILL BE REMOVED BY USS.

I will make another sign next year with all Excremental Correctness tenets for each bank. Apparently, having 250 different signs isn't getting the complete message out. Simple. The pooetry will continue, but some people need to get it in one gulp.

I'll present more information later.
Thanks for listening.
RobbiDobbs clear
robbidobbs

PreviousNext

Return to Get Involved!