the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:34 pm

So, why is soaking in a hot tub filled with non-potable water any less stupid than running after a truck spraying non-potable water in order to get a shower?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Raven9940 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 pm

I've just gotten into H.P. Lovecraft and I think it would be cool to have a theme camp that did something Lovecraft/Cthulu themed. It could be anything from a bar to an art piece of Cthulu to an art car.

Part of what makes me think it fits is I had a convo last year about how being at burning man felt like it was the end of the world and we were all ok with it. Like we were the last of humanity in the desert waiting for it to end. The end/doom plays a big role in the Cthulu mythos. Even if it was just a cool bar where everyone had some kind of Old Ones ranking or had sculptures/pictures of Lovecraft monsters sounds like a place I'd like to hang out.

Does this sound like something that could work on the playa? Anyone have better ideas of how to utilize Lovecraft in a burner context? Would love to hear feedback.
Raven9940

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Raven! Long time no see!
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Raven9940 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 pm

Hey gorgeous!

How are you?
Raven9940

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:So, why is soaking in a hot tub filled with non-potable water any less stupid than running after a truck spraying non-potable water in order to get a shower?

I want to thank everyone for not pointing out that I have violated the premise of this thread.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:So, why is soaking in a hot tub filled with non-potable water any less stupid than running after a truck spraying non-potable water in order to get a shower?

I want to thank everyone for not pointing out that I have violated the premise of this thread.

stupid isn't the same thing as crazy, so we let it slide. because we love you.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:58 am

Raven9940 wrote:I've just gotten into H.P. Lovecraft and I think it would be cool to have a theme camp that did something Lovecraft/Cthulu themed. It could be anything from a bar to an art piece of Cthulu to an art car.

Part of what makes me think it fits is I had a convo last year about how being at burning man felt like it was the end of the world and we were all ok with it. Like we were the last of humanity in the desert waiting for it to end. The end/doom plays a big role in the Cthulu mythos. Even if it was just a cool bar where everyone had some kind of Old Ones ranking or had sculptures/pictures of Lovecraft monsters sounds like a place I'd like to hang out.

Does this sound like something that could work on the playa? Anyone have better ideas of how to utilize Lovecraft in a burner context? Would love to hear feedback.

That could be a very pretty shade of doom.
Maybe with a New England flavor.
Search this forum for "Lovecraft" and you might find fellow campers.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:02 am

...and the countdown to when someone posts the Cthulhu burningman vid ticks on...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:14 am

I don't think a Lovecraft Camp would be worth doing degenerates into a fluffy Cthulhu parody.

Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby graidawg » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:25 pm

surely its nyarlethotep gets summoned in the desert?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby Raven9940 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:43 pm

[quote="graidawg"]surely its nyarlethotep gets summoned in the desert?[/quote]

That's what I'm talking about. Let's summon them all!
Raven9940

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Your idea is crazy.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby wh..sh » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:22 am

junglesmacks wrote:Your idea is crazy.

All the more reason to do it 8)
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:46 pm

ok to do this succesfully we need

1.) at least 10,000 sacrifices.
2.) a large ceremonial fire

As I understand it the ceremony is performed at night and the sacrifices gather around the ceremonial fire, then at the peak of the fire they are ritually given to the flames. somebody needs to chant the words to the summoning. then everyone goes insane. Nyarlethotep is summoned kills pretty much everyone and Cthulhu arrives later one and the world ends in misery and fire.

I think Foxfur should be responsible for the fire, who is going to arrange the sacrifices?
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:01 pm

We may be able to lure as many as 70,000 souls to a place in the desert. We could even get them pretty close to a large fire.
The rest is up to you.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Box Burner » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:37 pm

a nuclear detonation could be added to the fireworks. An aerial burst would be impressive.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:26 pm

It would take care of those who insist on standing up in front of people who are sitting and trying to see.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby latchseeker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Since we;re on the topic of fiction writers

Theme Camp Concept; Arrakis, Dune as its know by its inhabitants. The only know source of the spice Melange. A harsh planet, with its surface covered entirely in desert.
Perhaps a Seitch, or village of Pan and Garb. If you know Dune, you may have really enjoyed it, and if thats the case maybe you just got as excited about this idea as I was when I thought about it!(Enthusiasm!!!)
I remember reading a tiny mention of someone doing(attempting) this idea before? ANybody know of that, or remember that, or anything...
MANY IDEAS PENDING FOR THIS< SHARE YOURs< if interest arises here i'll share more of my thoughts just
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them- Duke Leto Atreides
latchseeker

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Try searching for Dune on this site. I know it's been discussed.

Are there any theme camps based on books?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:17 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Try searching for Dune on this site. I know it's been discussed.

Are there any theme camps based on books?
Attachments
80a9f3a2-4804-416d-a60f-5b73662e2efc.jpg
80a9f3a2-4804-416d-a60f-5b73662e2efc.jpg (48.75 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Fawn » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:56 pm

ohhhgary wrote:I have a few ideas...

My first idea is to build an interactive wall called the Before I Die Memorial Wall. I try to seize the day as often as I can. Even if this means jumping in the ocean for an hour long surf on my way to or from work. I try to do everything that I want with my precious time on earth. I feel that death is one of my biggest motivators in life. It's not that I sulk over the fact that I will eventually die, but I try to live my life the way I want to until that day comes, or until I'm not physically fit or healthy enough. This is a very simple project... I would construct a wall out of wood (I think) that people could write their life long goals and dreams on. The words "Before I Die" would be constructed on the top in a way that Playa wonderers would be able to read this from all angles. I think this would get people to dig deep into their passions and dreams. Maybe it could start a few sparks, motivating people to go out and live every day of their life to the fullest. Maybe some people will get the same motivation from reading what other people write.

Here is the first mock up I did about a month ago: https://vimeo.com/48993467

I LOVE this idea! I think it would get a lot of people thinking about things they can do to really live life to the fullest once they return back from the playa, and be a place to write thing that they want to do instead of just things people want to let go of, as most people do on the temple walls. I like the mock up too! I really hope to see this on the playa next year!
Fawn

Burning Since: 2008

Postby 48_love » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:20 pm

We can totally do this ... right?

48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:10 pm

About the hot tub car...
I really think you'd be making a mistake running the tub water through the motor as the coolant. Not being able to regulate the temp will most likely suck, and you could so easily just tap the heater hoses and make a heat exchanger.

Here's another thing to think about regarding engine heat; my boat (not the "Land Yacht but the one that is still a real floating boat) has exactly such an engine heat exchanger for it's hot-water heater and for cabin heat. I've found that if the engine is just idling, it doesn't make enough heat and the water and cabin heaters get cold!
I'm thinking the same will happen with your tub-car. You might look into using propane to heat the water also, as an extra system. On my boat I end up running the generator and heating the cabin and water with electricity if the engine isn't throttled up.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Nipple » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:15 pm

Man! Check out the ego on this lady!!!

How'd you get all those people to make a portait of you, 48?!
Nipple

Postby 48_love » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:23 pm

^ they adore me ... cuz i am all that. lol
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Box Burner » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 am

Fawn wrote:
ohhhgary wrote:I have a few ideas...

My first idea is to build an interactive wall called the Before I Die Memorial Wall. I try to seize the day as often as I can. Even if this means jumping in the ocean for an hour long surf on my way to or from work. I try to do everything that I want with my precious time on earth. I feel that death is one of my biggest motivators in life. It's not that I sulk over the fact that I will eventually die, but I try to live my life the way I want to until that day comes, or until I'm not physically fit or healthy enough. This is a very simple project... I would construct a wall out of wood (I think) that people could write their life long goals and dreams on. The words "Before I Die" would be constructed on the top in a way that Playa wonderers would be able to read this from all angles. I think this would get people to dig deep into their passions and dreams. Maybe it could start a few sparks, motivating people to go out and live every day of their life to the fullest. Maybe some people will get the same motivation from reading what other people write.

Here is the first mock up I did about a month ago: https://vimeo.com/48993467

I LOVE this idea! I think it would get a lot of people thinking about things they can do to really live life to the fullest once they return back from the playa, and be a place to write thing that they want to do instead of just things people want to let go of, as most people do on the temple walls. I like the mock up too! I really hope to see this on the playa next year!

Great Idea... it's gonna hafta be a bigger wall though.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby bbyjcam_19 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Okayy, My first year was last year and I just wished that there was something I could take home and hang up! So I was thinking maybe a camp where you could come get your caricature done of your playa personality! Any input?? :D
"Ohhh... It's about 2:45 on a Tuesday morning.... I believe it's time to rage."
bbyjcam_19

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

Can you do charactures? You don't even need a camp, you could just set up on the Esplanade, or a plaza or (gulp) center camp...
That way, when you're done, you just pack up and no one can find and pester you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby ranger magnum » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:About the hot tub car...
I really think you'd be making a mistake running the tub water through the motor as the coolant. Not being able to regulate the temp will most likely suck, and you could so easily just tap the heater hoses and make a heat exchanger.

Here's another thing to think about regarding engine heat; my boat (not the "Land Yacht but the one that is still a real floating boat) has exactly such an engine heat exchanger for it's hot-water heater and for cabin heat. I've found that if the engine is just idling, it doesn't make enough heat and the water and cabin heaters get cold!
I'm thinking the same will happen with your tub-car. You might look into using propane to heat the water also, as an extra system. On my boat I end up running the generator and heating the cabin and water with electricity if the engine isn't throttled up.

You have a good point. I suppose if I actually get around to building this thing, I would have to try it both ways. Id like to avoid a separate heating system if not for simplicity.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps