Solo burner

Solo burner

Postby Radio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:26 am

Hello! Yes I am one of the many virgins hell bent on getting to Burning Man.
If it turns out that I am one of the lucky ones, is going solo a good idea?

Thank you in advance.
Radio

Burning Since: 2013

Re: Solo burner

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:40 am

Yes, it probably is a good idea--because 1) it's possible, and 2) if you rely unflinchingly on friends or other people, and plan for their support, you may find the rug pulled from under you in June when the greatest number of individuals tend to get nervous, or change jobs & therefore cancel . . . and then you might lack the confidence to proceed on your own, which would be a pity. One of the Burn Principles is radical self-reliance.

If most of us had waited for our closest friends to go, we would never have gone. :)

That said, talk to people in your region (and neighboring regions) as it never hurts to have seasoned Burner friends and local wisdom. You might also get in on a local build, which might be fun:
http://regionals.burningman.com/

Welcome to the board.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mudpuppy000 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 am

Yes, it's a great idea! I went solo my first year after my friend flaked at the last minute... Was incredible!
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby illy dilly » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:47 am

Hey Radio,
Welcome to the board!

Tell us a little more about you!
Where ya from? Where do you live now? What do you do?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Radio » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:18 pm

This is fantastic news! I only learnt about Burning Man this summer and after reading as much as I
could about it I made the decision that this looks like something worth putting effort into. Crossing my fingers in hopes that it works out!

I suppose I should have introduced myself at first :) I am from Alberta, Canada and am a child support worker. Burning mans 10 Principles are what initially caught my attention. And then I saw pictures of the art installations and I was hooked!

Thank you again for the replies :)
Radio

Burning Since: 2013

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:19 pm

We have Candians on this board! Saskatoon and Edmonton are what stick in my mind. My mind isn't always useful.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:47 pm

Commit to going early. There's a quota on the number of Canadians allowed.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:53 pm

Radio wrote: I only learnt about Burning Man

What in the world is a "learnt"?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Sham » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Doc, it's a Canadian word. Like colour and flavour are!

Radio, my first year I went solo. I planned everything and just did it. At the last minute, someone contacted me and asked for a ride, so I entered Black Rock City for the first time with two hot women who have been before. It all just works out. Make plans and don't depend on anyone else.

Oh, and WELCOME to eplaya!
Sham

Postby Rice » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:07 pm

Go for it!! I did not know any burners at all when I decided to go.

Read everything you can, ask questions, start planning now. Try and put some money away from each payday, so you have the $$ resources as well. $50 every 2 weeks stashed away would give you at least $1000, which is a good start (depending on where you are, maybe not enough). Take a look at the regionals page to see if there are any burners close to you http://regionals.burningman.com/

See ya on the playa....
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby jerroc » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:37 am

Burning solo is such a great way to spend your first burn. It Allows for much more freedom to explore.

Welcome.
jerroc

Postby Elorrum » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:17 am

Radio wrote: Burning mans 10 Principles are what initially caught my attention. And then I saw pictures of the art installations and I was hooked!

Points for agreeing with me on what the heart of this event is. Still you may be lured by the oontz, and since you've just started on the first bit of yellow brick, who knows how the road will spiral out for you. Welcome aboard!

I've arrived every year prepared to park and camp anywhere. I've met some amazing friends who've become my wonderful neighbor/family since my second year. Solo is self sufficient, and self reliance is at the core. You won't be alone, and you won't be lonely. It's a camping trip where: you bring your own water; you need some sort of shade; you are prepared for high winds, lots of fine dust, and heat; you pack out your trash, and don't throw your grey water on the ground. Take it from there!

edit to add some good resources I read before my first burn that helped me to plan (in addition to the first timers guide on the main burning man site.) I didn't really look into the eplaya forum until after my first year.
AEZ (alternative energy zone) http://ae-zone.org/2011/03/welcome-to-the-aez/
The civilized explorer http://www.cieux.com/bm/bmtoc.html Phil is an eplayan you'll read here from time to time, but his Burning Man pages are chock, chock full, I say, of good info and links and dream fodder. Thank you to Phil and Louise.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 am

Hey there, welcome to eplaya!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Return to Introduce Yourself!