Article on Burning Man pollution

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Article on Burning Man pollution

Postby hizzles » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:35 am

hizzles

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 am

Black Rock City LLC, the corporation that runs the show, could allocate a small percentage of ticket revenues for solar panels that could generate more than enough electricity for the whole city. The regular face-pelting dust storms are testament to the potential for wind energy, and the crusty heat flow beneath Nevada's dusty surface makes geothermal power a perfect fit for Black Rock City. With the blessing of the BLM, the company could leave that infrastructure out there all year long to generate energy for the people of neighboring Gerlach, Nev., who patiently welcome the yearly pilgrimage of freaks.

<HOWLING!!!>
BWWHAHHAAAHHAAAHhaahhaahhaahahaahhaahhahahahaaaaa!!!!!!!

stop, stop, PLEASE!, My sides are hurting!!
Chai Guy

Postby Cosworth Magellan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:20 am

This article doesn't particularly make a lot of sense. They cite the large fossil fuel consumption of cars going to the event, and the presence of fire art, and the fact that we burn everything, and then suggest that the solution is... a solar power grid for BRC.

While I'd love to see solar power replace generators in BRC, I hardly think it would only take a "small portion of ticket sales."

As for the LLC building a geothermal or wind power plant...
Cosworth Magellan

Postby Cosworth Magellan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:22 am

stop, stop, PLEASE!, My sides are hurting!!

I think I have a better solution. Once Granite Fox is built and we're all breathing coal dust, why not just drag a bigass power cable across the playa from there to center camp? Viola! Problem solved!

:roll:
Cosworth Magellan

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:25 am

This article doesn't particularly make a lot of sense.

That's the beauty of the internet.

They cite the large fossil fuel consumption of cars going to the event, and the presence of fire art, and the fact that we burn everything, and then suggest that the solution is... a solar power grid for BRC.

That's the beauty of being an American, you don't have subscribe to logic or base any of your ideas in reality.

While I'd love to see solar power replace generators in BRC, I hardly think it would only take a "small portion of ticket sales."

Umm... yeah.
Chai Guy

Postby ZaphodBurner » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:27 am

Cosworth Magellan wrote:This article doesn't particularly make a lot of sense.

Welcome to Eugene, Oregon

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Postby HughMungus » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:36 am

Small part of ticket sales to setup, large part of ticket sales to store, erect, maintain, etc. (I'd imagine).

Does BORG promote alternative energy? Maybe that should be one of the tenets in the Survival Guide to go with Leave No Trace (i.e., leave no trace as it relates to the air we breathe, not just the ground). I'm pretty sure that if BORG promoted the use of alternative energy sources that more people would aspire to that goal in action (I know I am lately; rechargable batteries only, trying to switch from generators to solar/wind power, etc). This would definitely help blunt the "Burning Man is wasteful" arguments.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby Chai Guy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:52 am

Sorry, I have a news flash for everyone.

Burning Man is not "Sustainable". OK?

There is NOTHING eco-friendly about 37,000 people driving X amount of distance into the middle of the desert, building monster domes made out of PVC with vinyl covers and lighting a 40ft. tall wooden man covered in neon with a fuckton of pyro, surrounded by jet engine powered dune buggies, and enough fossil fuel powered generators to light up Vegas.

If you want to save the environment, stay home!

Now, if you want to switch over from using a generator to solar in your camp, GREAT! If you seperate all of your trash, take it home and recycle it, good for you! If you refill one plastic water bottle instead of 100 over the week, excellent! But please, please, please don't con yourself into thinking that this event will ever become "Sustainable" (do the people who use this word even know what it means??).

http://www.ae-zone.org/
Chai Guy

Postby Cosworth Magellan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:56 am

Does BORG promote alternative energy?

I assume not. Seeing as they don't even use it themselves, it might be deemed hypocritical. There's always AEZ...
Cosworth Magellan

Re: Article on Burning Man pollution

Postby naked larry » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:57 pm

This is an event and it is also a vacation, and its not about saving energy or green energy. People spend thousands on their playa vacation and bring tons of wood to make a structure or sculpture only to burn it. 100's maybe thousands of gallons of propane are used for entertainment. Some rest in their RV with the air blasting to prepare for their evening DJ or fire spinning event. Most of the green "junk" that people purchase take more energy to create than they provide and at the end the playa is an untouched wasteland. And the environment and landfills do suffer from our vacation.
But you might notice your energy or water bills decline at home. You may bicycle to the store rather than drive, and you may offer a neighbor an unwanted item rather than just throwing it out. You may think differently about what is important and proper, and finding yourself picking up litter on the sidewalk and depositing it at a convenient trash can.
naked larry

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: spankys wine bar

Postby pink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:10 pm

We used wind & solar in our camp and often were generating more energy than we could store. Rarely turned on the generator.

That said, havent they heard of Black Rock Solar? Dumbasses.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby BBadger » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that 7-year-old-post necroposting "naked larry" is just a spammer. So I've reported him.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:39 pm

Actually,I think BMORG does support solar. Not necessarily on playa, but I believe they have some sort of program to instarr solar on schools for the Reservations? Or something like that.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:48 pm

It's called Black Rock Solar, and there's a link to it from the main burningman web page... Yes, they have put up installations, but, Bbadger's right (imho). And when the thread was started, I don't think that Greenman had happened, which is when BRS started.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Eric » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 pm

BBadger wrote:I'm pretty sure that 7-year-old-post necroposting "naked larry" is just a spammer. So I've reported him.

Nothing spammy in the post (which is actually very on-topic, regardless of how old the topic is), I've closed the report.

Remember that ePlaya is being discovered a lot more than in the old days, and people doing research on Burning Man might get a google hit for an old topic. Not all resurrected threads are done by spammers, it just seems that way.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:22 pm

Ah, Green Man. The year I discovered the Hexayurt. Burning man has never been the same since.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 pm

Naked Larry - welcome to the boards! It's a little disappointing that you took the time to register and make your first post responding to a seven year old discussion, but hey - anything that helps you get here. While it's a bit of a dry read, you may care to read the fairly exhaustive 320+ page environmental assessment report that was published earlier in the year, the impact of the event is less than you might think.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby pink » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:56 am

Yeah, I know nakedlarry. His name's Larry and he's usually naked. Definitely not a spammer.

*waves hi to larry*
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Return to Politics & Philosophy