Resizing pics from facebook before posting them on eplaya

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

Resizing pics from facebook before posting them on eplaya

Postby CornMan » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:43 pm

I've found that when I've tried to post pics on eplaya that originate on facebook and other online sources, the right hand side of the photo is cropped out when displayed on eplaya. I've found that I can use an online image resizing site, shrink it 50%, use the image resizing site's share option to post it back onto facebook so that only I can see it, and then use that image url to post the pic here with good results.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Re: Resizing pics from facebook before posting them on eplay

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Pics that are oversized... get cropped. Embed lower resolution image sources, and the problem goes away.

FB is generally a bad source to link from anyways, as depending on your account and image privacy settings are for both your account and the material you intend to share, others may not be able to see them (everything needs to be fully public in order for it to work all the time.

An easy solution would be to get yourself a free account on tumblr, it's an easy to use ad free blog site that doesn't impose bandwidth or hosting limits. Better still, when you upload an image to your tumblr blog, it automatically creates a resized version that fits their blog view page width (no image processing software needed on your end). Copy the image address on your tumblr blog page pic and embed that.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 am

trilobyte wrote:FB is generally a bad source to link from anyways, as depending on your account and image privacy settings are for both your account and the material you intend to share, others may not be able to see them (everything needs to be fully public in order for it to work all the time.

Untrue.

As long as you right click on the image itself and choose "copy link location".. then paste that direct server location.. it will work every time.

You want the image source URL that looks like this: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 1162_n.jpg

NOT this..: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

For a non-FB hosted image, I like http://imgur.com/ the best as all you do is drag and drop an image onto the home page to upload. It has quick size editing tools as well.. and is totally free. I can literally go from random image to uploading to cutting and pasting the code here on eplaya in under 20 seconds.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 am

Only user profile pics are always fully public. Everything else depends on the user permissions for both the account (which for many change depending on what retarded meme is making the rounds, as well as whatever the current round of FB privacy atrocities are) and for the picture or album. In addition to that, their permissions system has been known to get persnickety when images are viewed by either non-members (there are a few out there) or people who aren't signed into their FB accounts.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:28 am

I believe that resizing can be enabled in BBCode.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby CornMan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 am

As a test, can you see the image of the lit pyramid at the bottom of this thread?

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=62786&p=898942&hilit=sacramento#p898942
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:56 am

http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
Full version:
Code: Select all
[img width={width} height={height} ...]{url}[/img]

Another variant (shorthand):
Code: Select all
[img={width}x{height}]{url}[/img]

It just needs to be enabled, methinks.
Ugly Dougly

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:25 am

Alas, it cannot. At least, not without the use of additional mods to the board. I've looked into a few (so far), they either only work on attached images (not embeds), are a pain to use, or work pretty terribly. Now that the site software has fixed the bug that was 'breaking' the board when oversized pics were embedded (now they just truncate when the pic's too wide for the margin) and I've set the board to create thumbnails (with a max width of 600 pixels) for attached images, the board is good to go. Unless some kind of magical high quality mod comes along that can work with embeds dynamically, posters will want to keep an eye on the resolution of the images they embed. I recommend keeping it under 600-700 pixels, otherwise images may end up being truncated for users with smaller screens (netbooks, ultrabooks, older smartphones, etc).

Great tip on imgur btw, junglesmacks.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:56 pm

trilobyte wrote:Only user profile pics are always fully public. Everything else depends on the user permissions for both the account (which for many change depending on what retarded meme is making the rounds, as well as whatever the current round of FB privacy atrocities are) and for the picture or album. In addition to that, their permissions system has been known to get persnickety when images are viewed by either non-members (there are a few out there) or people who aren't signed into their FB accounts.

Again.. NOT TRUE.

Follow the instructions I listed above and anyone can view any FB hosted picture regardless of the permissions.

You're directly accesing the file/image on the server and thereby bypassing the account itself.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Rice » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:37 pm

I find sharing pictures from Facebook to be a big PIA. I usually download the pic, resize it locally, upload to a photo sharing site and paste the appropriate link. For resizing photos I find IrfanView to be the quickest software to use, it is the sw I view pics with anyhow. (There is a possible quality loss, but nothing major for pic sharing.) If I really want to retain the quality I use GIMP.

Sharing images directly from Facebook is a best quirky. Sometimes it works awesome, frequently - not so much. (heck, Facebook has trouble sharing images from within...)

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I think you could use the width/height parameters in the IMG tag; however, it would require the user to know the dimensions beforehand. So unless you know what the proportionally correct dimensions are, it'll be a pain to calculate.

What could be nice is to have the full-size width/height parameters, and then the board performs the necessary math to make it fit. It'd essentially be like someone posting a fully parameterized HTML image tag.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:08 am

Agreed, Stretch, at best it's a pain.

BBadger, the biggest issue with the IMG tag mods that are out there (aside from forcing users to know/enter size data on all pics) is that the dynamically resized images looked like crap. Since board functionality is no longer affected by oversized images, we're waiting until the PHPBB software offers resizing support.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Rice » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:22 am

BBadger wrote:I think you could use the width/height parameters in the IMG tag; however, it would require the user to know the dimensions beforehand. So unless you know what the proportionally correct dimensions are, it'll be a pain to calculate.

What could be nice is to have the full-size width/height parameters, and then the board performs the necessary math to make it fit. It'd essentially be like someone posting a fully parameterized HTML image tag.

I consider myself pretty comfortable with software, the web, all things computer. I have found that It is very difficult to get the dimensions correct when manually resizing a image. It is easier and quicker to just resize the image and upload that resized file to the web...

This is based on the 15+ years that I have been doing web pages. If the backbone software supports automatic resizing of images when uploaded (just pick the display size and vola it works) then cool. Otherwise it seems to be easier to deal with it on my cmpt and upload the properly sized images...

YMMV
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:03 am

Ah, I was thinking more of just images linked off-site, not ones uploaded to the site which can be handled with some resizing mods or a click-to-expand viewer. The latter problem is probably mitigated by the file size limitations in place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby Rice » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:52 pm

Anything bigger that 1024x768 is unnecessary for most uses. Links to high resolution images are occasionally useful, but for the most part I cannot be bothered to look at them....
Love Rice

Rice

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

I hear that! The last thing I want to see or use are horizontal scrollbars for some inline board image that should've been resized properly. For inline board images, I'd prefer the limit be set to 800x800 (so 800 in the height so 600x800 images can also be allowed). Anything larger usually implies that the photo wasn't properly cropped to the area of interest. Hell, I usually reduce it even further to ~640x480. Anything higher res can be linked off site.

BBadger

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:11 am

Tip o' the cap to First World Problems Cat.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 pm

Looks like it is possible:
http://if.invisionfree.com/topic/5095678/1/
I am sure that our hard-working mods have looked into this already.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Rice » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Looks like it is possible:
http://if.invisionfree.com/topic/5095678/1/
I am sure that our hard-working mods have looked into this already.

There are many ways to automatically resize images posted onto a board such as this. What is not clear, is the ease as to which this can be implemented in this board. . .
Love Rice

Rice

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Resizer tweaks that require additional/custom bbcode to be entered have been around for a while (with varying degrees of image quality), but is not something we're interested in.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to Site Function