Best Greeter EVER!!!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Best Greeter EVER!!!

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

I'm not sure if this is possible. But I experienced one of the best greetings ever onto this Playa this year. I was thrilled for our virgins, myself and anyone that came across this wonderful spirit. I ended up making a video using his greeting as the main focus. If anyone knows who this is, I'd love to share it and thank him for being so gracious!

Love,
Desiree (aka: Kink)
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Playa Surfers

Re: Best Greeter EVER!!!

Postby illy dilly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 pm

Welcome to eplaya!
Great video, well put together. Its fun to continue hearing the Greeter while you clip to other shots.

Heads up, folks are gonna give you shit for wearing a feather head dress, and then propagating the wearing of feather headdresses with your profile picture.

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=55943
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=56367
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=279&t=50475&start=30
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:27 pm

Yeah, the feathers are . . . not so hot. DesireeTime, feathers molt (either in tiny pieces or whole feathers) and there are folks out there who only just finished picking that stuff up by hand. Wearing feathers on the playa makes people assume 1) you don't know better, or 2) you don't give a crap about what the Survival Guide asks of Black Rock citizenry.

THAT said.

I like the first video especially. The kiss at 1:09 is just beautiful, as is the overwhelmed smile on bald male virgin at about 1:20. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby graidawg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm

homesick
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Savannah wrote: you don't give a crap about what the Survival Guide or the gate inspection,or the giant "NO FEATHERS ALLOWED" billboard on gate road asks of Black Rock citizenry.

Added the red.

And I'll also say those feathers are awful.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Giving this a nudge over to Experiences at Burning Man, since that's a better fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:00 pm

trilobyte wrote:Giving this a nudge over to Experiences at Burning Man, since that's a better fit.

Thank you for letting me know so I know how to find it.
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby DesireeTime » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm

illy dilly wrote:Welcome to eplaya!
Great video, well put together. Its fun to continue hearing the Greeter while you clip to other shots.

Heads up, folks are gonna give you shit for wearing a feather head dress, and then propagating the wearing of feather headdresses with your profile picture.

Thank you for the heads up. I changed my profile pict. Although, that particular photo was not even taken at Burning Man.
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 am

DesireeTime wrote: Although, that particular photo was not even taken at Burning Man.

SHAZAM!

Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 am

Thank you for making this. I agree, what a fabulous greeter and what a mind blowing friend you must be.
Beautiful video.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby BBadger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:18 am

That's just beautiful! What a great way to start the burn!

I missed that this year. Our greeters were more like Joe Paterno statues looking the other way. At least we weren't carrying any burgins.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby illy dilly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:45 am

DesireeTime wrote:

Thank you for the heads up. I changed my profile pict. Although, that particular photo was not even taken at Burning Man.

No worries. I knew someone would come along and spout off some ridiculously rude nonsense with out even giving a "Hello"

So, then the video Burning Man 2012 Part 2, the main shot, where the bald dude is mooning the camera, is that not you in the back ground wearing the feather head dress with the horns?
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby dangerous » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:49 am

DesireeTime wrote:I'm not sure if this is possible. But I experienced one of the best greetings ever onto this Playa this year. I was thrilled for our virgins, myself and anyone that came across this wonderful spirit. I ended up making a video using his greeting as the main focus. If anyone knows who this is, I'd love to share it and thank him for being so gracious!

seeing that nearly had me in tears! your greeter is Sterling! the tall young man in the opening clip is Vanity; another awesome greeter. i was there- the one with the black hat and pale blue bandana. i will post a link in the greeter's list :)

thank you Desiree- this so made my day

The day will come when, after harnessing the ether, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.

Chardin
dangerous

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Retrofrolic

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:23 am

BBadger wrote:That's just beautiful! What a great way to start the burn!

I missed that this year. Our greeters were more like Joe Paterno statues looking the other way. At least we weren't carrying any burgins.

or 10-year olds...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby DesireeTime » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:25 pm

illy dilly wrote:
DesireeTime wrote:

No worries. I knew someone would come along and spout off some ridiculously rude nonsense with out even giving a "Hello"

So, then the video Burning Man 2012 Part 2, the main shot, where the bald dude is mooning the camera, is that not you in the back ground wearing the feather head dress with the horns?

It sure is. However, the photo that was my profile pict was taken on our way to the Burn. We took the opportunity for a few photo shoots along the way. AND... I was planning on doing more photo shoots at the Burn with this headpiece. However, your sign on the way in along with a couple of warnings from a few friendly burners, had me rethink that plan. That said, it sat in my RV (Yes... RV) till the last day when we took the family photo. (When it was out long enough snap 3 quick photos before I hide it away.) In all honesty, I can not figure out why feathers (of all things) have made the blacklist at Burning Man. ~shrugs~ I mean do we really want to list off all the crap taken to the playa that could (and probably does) create an even bigger mess? ~sighs~ But... like visiting another country, you obey the rules of that particular society whether you agree with them or not.
Last edited by DesireeTime on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:32 pm

DesireeTime wrote:I can not figure out why feathers (of all things) have made the blacklist at Burning Man. ~shrugs~ I mean do we really want to list off all the crap taken to the playa that could (and probably does) create and even bigger mess?

Stick around and you'll see the stuff about glass. In fact, I think we went through that recently. Glitter we do a little less often. And if you make sangria and can't drink it all, don't toss it on the playa...
I've always assumed that the list comes by some path from DPW--i.e. the people on their knees picking the crap up. So it reflects their particular experience. Next year, when you do your two hours, figure out what you're finding most often, a top three or whatever.
Pistachios in the shell.
Cigarette butts, but those are prevelent everywhere, so the shock is less.

Feathers are also annoying for the way they blow away and you have to chase them down. (Pun not intended, but acknowledged.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby DesireeTime » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:35 pm

dangerous wrote:
DesireeTime wrote:I'm not sure if this is possible. But I experienced one of the best greetings ever onto this Playa this year. I was thrilled for our virgins, myself and anyone that came across this wonderful spirit. I ended up making a video using his greeting as the main focus. If anyone knows who this is, I'd love to share it and thank him for being so gracious!

seeing that nearly had me in tears! your greeter is Sterling! the tall young man in the opening clip is Vanity; another awesome greeter. i was there- the one with the black hat and pale blue bandana. i will post a link in the greeter's list :)

thank you Desiree- this so made my day

OH MY GOD! I LOVE YOU! You just made MY day! I'd throw my arms around you right now if you were near. (instead I send a virtual hug over the internet) Please give Sterling & Vanity my love. Thank you all for your warm, gracious welcome. It was the start of an AMAZING adventure. XOX

Thank you...
Love,
www.PlayaSurfers.com
DesireeTime

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:30 pm

I think feathers (which do unavoidably moop) . . . receive special ire among moopy items because:

* they have no practical use on the playa
* a simple breeze will cause them to shed (unlike glass) and
* because choosing to flout the rules regarding feathers involves vanity, and vanity is easy to dislike. (That's an emotional reason, not a logical one, but it makes it no less true.)

And some folks go so batshit crazy with their feathers. I'm thinking of one specific woman whose entire costume pretty much consisted of huge ballgown and headdress etc, of feathers. The ePlaya thread here made fun of her for what, five pages? Because to look upon her photo was to look upon the face of Clueless Fucking Narcissism in the extreme. "Here, YOU pick this up, proles!" was pretty much her unspoken attitude. "I'm too busy having my glamour shots taken to slave for DPW six weeks after the event & clean up my own mess."

Also? Feathers won't hold your champagne. :lol:

And you can at least gift champagne.

Glad you found your Greeter!

Savannah

Postby wh..sh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:34 pm

BBadger wrote:Our greeters were more like Joe Paterno statues looking the other way. At least we weren't carrying any burgins.

Yeah? It so happened that we drove through during the "naked" greeters shifts *shudder*
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:58 pm

You're still a virgin if you're never been hugged by a naked person.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:01 pm

wh..sh wrote:
BBadger wrote:Our greeters were more like Joe Paterno statues looking the other way. At least we weren't carrying any burgins.

Yeah? It so happened that we drove through during the "naked" greeters shifts *shudder*

What makes a "naked" greeter "naked" as opposed to naked? Skin inside out? Cheesey aprons with pictures of genetalia? Raw emotions leaking out so quickly you cringe? Inquiring minds want to know.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:21 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
wh..sh wrote:

What makes a "naked" greeter "naked" as opposed to naked? Skin inside out? Cheesey aprons with pictures of genetalia? Raw emotions leaking out so quickly you cringe? Inquiring minds want to know.

Of all the reasons that makes a "naked" greeter "naked" as opposed to naked, the top one on my list is to be caught unaware.
While one is tweedling thumbs in the car during a dust storm with poor visibility, an unexpected "naked" greeter apprearing out of the dust makes your heart skip.
It's too little time to warn the front lobe of your brain.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Wha...? What does that say about what was going on in your vehicle?!
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:

At least they had access to showers all week.

(I will not make a rimshot joke...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:23 pm

And if someone personally connected to the victims in that case happens to read that, I'm sorry.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:44 pm

I know Gate and Greeters are entirely different! But I have to give props to Pearl at Gate for being helpful when I had to evac a fellow camper for health reasons in 00-01?

Very solid dude who helped people affected by the tsunami.
http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity_yearround/jrs/vol09/jrs_v09_i13.html

We have many, many great volunteers and participants!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 am

Timezone LaFontaine wrote:

Touché!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lowz » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:34 am

Anyway good vid, make me smile.
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

DesireeTime wrote:
illy dilly wrote:So, then the video Burning Man 2012 Part 2, the main shot, where the bald dude is mooning the camera, is that not you in the back ground wearing the feather head dress with the horns?

It sure is. However, the photo that was my profile pict was taken on our way to the Burn. We took the opportunity for a few photo shoots along the way. AND... I was planning on doing more photo shoots at the Burn with this headpiece. However, your sign on the way in along with a couple of warnings from a few friendly burners, had me rethink that plan. That said, it sat in my RV (Yes... RV) till the last day when we took the family photo. (When it was out long enough snap 3 quick photos before I hide it away.) In all honesty, I can not figure out why feathers (of all things) have made the blacklist at Burning Man. ~shrugs~ I mean do we really want to list off all the crap taken to the playa that could (and probably does) create an even bigger mess? ~sighs~ But... like visiting another country, you obey the rules of that particular society whether you agree with them or not.

Good stuff!
To an extent I disagree with the people that say "absolutely no feathers". There are plenty of times that one or a few feathers on a well made hat, earrings, or accessory are very unlikely to Moop.
Its my understanding that the "No feathers Campaign" was started because of cheap Boas and other cheap junk with poorly attached feathers. From there it spread to "Only bring feathers that you have tested and are secure." then eventually it spread to "No feathers at all!"

A very similar Campaign that happened way before my first burn was convincing people to better manage cigarette butts. After sometime it eventually became the standard for every individual to carry their own ash tray.

So, do you think that in 2013, you will shoot for a shift at Greeters?
illy dilly

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 pm

illy dilly wrote:So, do you think that in 2013, you will shoot for a shift at Greeters?

Oo, good idea.

http://www.burningman.com/participate/greeters.html

Greeters are needed round the clock, and for most of the Burn week. I have found it to be a lot of fun. :D

Savannah

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man