It's things like this...

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

It's things like this...

Postby Ano » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRwLfJWbm1Q&feature=plcp

This was spammed on a couple of different Burning Man message boards I frequent as "Awesome first-time-burner video to introduce newbies!"

It's like playing "Spot-the-terrible-bullshit" bingo. Upon watching it, I responded to the video saying that this is not a good representation of anyone's first year in Burning Man, since plug-n-play RVs, Private Planes, and feathered headdresses don't generally go with one's first year... and this is the response I got.

"Yes I flew on a private plane. Stayed in a ($)10,000 RV, Danced every day, and then flew on a private plane back home to my mansion in BelAir! SWEET?"

I don't really have a follow-up to that. I guess it is pretty sweet, in a terrible and insulting way.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Re: It's things like this...

Postby Fiver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm

Nothing like stolen video clips, a gazillion dollar RV, and some fancy iMovie titles to make a living on.
Great sparkle pony video tho.
Fiver

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I can't look. :lol:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:08 pm

Savannah wrote:I can't look. :lol:

Afraid it's going to melt your eyes in their sockets?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't want to give them the satisfaction of a page view, or even negative attention.

And yes, my eyes feel extra melty today.

Savannah

Postby Lowz » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 pm

Savannah wrote:I don't want to give them the satisfaction of a page view, or even negative attention.

thanks for that, i was about to forget it and you stopped my click..
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 am

Meh. Another one of these posts/videos? Are you just trying to troll us Ano?

Let us concern ourselves with our own burns, not others'.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Nipple » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 am

I do like that drones allow people to get what looks like crane shots in their home videos.

Makes them feel very dynamic. Unfortunately the subject matter is not for me. I'm glad the jetset can't find some space to enjoy themselves.
Nipple

Postby Lonesomebri » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:54 am

Ano wrote:... and this is the response I got.
"Yes I flew on a private plane. Stayed in a ($)10,000 RV, Danced every day, and then flew on a private plane back home to my mansion in BelAir! SWEET?"
I don't really have a follow-up to that.....

The way to respond to them, NEVER dance with those people.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:02 am

I looked (sorry Sav!!).

So far there are no comments; perhaps they could be schooled in comments about the fantastic (non-MOOPy) fake feathers I've recently noticed. :?

IIRC Native Americans are insulted by non-Native Americans wearing feather head dresses. :shock:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 am

moonrise wrote:I looked (sorry Sav!!).

So far there are no comments; perhaps they could be schooled in comments about the fantastic (non-MOOPy) fake feathers I've recently noticed. :?

IIRC Native Americans are insulted by non-Native Americans wearing feather head dresses. :shock:

Hahaha! Moonrise . . . I am not owed fealty. :)

Savannah

Postby Nipple » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:24 am

Fealty that has been freely gifted is bound to feel pretty good.
Nipple

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:27 am

Mercy me. Kids these days. I'll pray for them.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 am

Ah. When Paris Hilton and her entourage attend...

...hell will be freezing over? I'll quit the event forever? we'll finally get glass ware in the cafe? Iso will bring out the bazooka and kill us all?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby moonrise » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:46 am

Savannah wrote:
moonrise wrote:I looked (sorry Sav!!).

Hahaha! Moonrise . . . I am not owed fealty. :)

You're too kind (and modest). Everyone trusts and appreciates your gut instincts kiddo! Not to mention the good, level headed advice you give.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Ano » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:07 pm

BBadger wrote:Meh. Another one of these posts/videos? Are you just trying to troll us Ano?

Let us concern ourselves with our own burns, not others'.

I don't recall ever posting a video other than this one, and if I was trying to troll you, I'd probably title this post something like "Awesome introduction video to Burning Man!" or the like, not attempting to incite a discussion or commentary.

I posted it because I am concerned with "our" burn, despite being a total and complete newbie of two years. It makes me sad to see something so beautiful turned into a five minute blurb that could be played on the travel channel, with speed-transitions, website addresses, and advertising to boot.. Apologies for wanting to start a discussion (hence the topic in "politics and philosophy") about it. It's essentially a sparklepony training video, and it sucks. Or, on the other hand, it's a "don't be this person" video to show to new folk. I posted that I didn't have a follow-up, because I was, frankly, a tad stunned at the video and the response I got from the creator.
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:12 am

What about radical inclusion? I agree that the feathers are too much, but to be jealous that some people can afford to fly in and have nice RVs is a little bit silly. It seemed like she did have a good burn and didn't do anything really bad (except for wear feathers) so why be butthurt that she has more money than you?
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Postby BBadger » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:37 am

I remember seeing the Playa Skool bus drive past our camp. I just laughed remembering the grief that camp and its videos caused people here on the board. In the end, they made no difference to anyone and we all had a great time.

There are more important things to concern myself with than how others choose to spend their money to burn. Even the tiniest scrap of MOOP is more important than if someone flies in on a jet or lives out of an RV.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby shykat » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:50 am

AdamOfTheRedEarth wrote:What about radical inclusion? I agree that the feathers are too much, but to be jealous that some people can afford to fly in and have nice RVs is a little bit silly. It seemed like she did have a good burn and didn't do anything really bad (except for wear feathers) so why be butthurt that she has more money than you?

Yea.. i'll include them at the burn....but when they shit on community by wearing the feather, they will feel the wrath of my bullhorn and if they can't take it and think i'm excluding them.....well that's just how i burn and you need to include that......
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:08 am

posted it because I am concerned with "our" burn, despite being a total and complete newbie of two years.

Bitch, please.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby H.G.Crosby » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:10 am

Right?

it's things like these....
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby curiousgnate » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:06 pm

I didn't like playaschool before, don't like them now, and won't like them in the future!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby 5280MeV » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:34 pm

When people dance in off an airplane and lounge around in their pre-packaged RV, they completely ruin your notion of pride in being a 'burner'.

We want to think of ourselves as rugged, resourceful, and tested by the elements. We want to believe that getting to BRC and making it involves meeting a logistical and survivalist challenge, conquered through our own self-reliance. We want to believe that burners live in a wilder reality - something that the Town & Country crowd simply could not handle.

This notion of burner-hood is completely devalued by the jet-setter crowd. They lift off this burden from your shoulders. You don't have to worry about burning man being cool or relevant anymore, because it is not. Released from the confines of your own ego, you are now free to go have fun.

This is their gift to you on the playa. Say thank you.

Now get back to work hippies.
5280MeV

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:43 am

We want to think of ourselves as rugged, resourceful, and tested by the elements. We want to believe that getting to BRC and making it involves meeting a logistical and survivalist challenge, conquered through our own self-reliance. We want to believe that burners live in a wilder reality - something that the Town & Country crowd simply could not handle.

you obviously havent partied in the hamptons lately.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby TT120 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:09 am

Even if I could afford to fly in and have a luxury RV ready for me, I probably wouldn't. The harsh conditions and self reliance add to the whole experience if you ask me.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD
TT120

Camp Name: Orphans Too

Postby BBadger » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:41 pm

5280MeV wrote:When people dance in off an airplane and lounge around in their pre-packaged RV, they completely ruin your notion of pride in being a 'burner'.

Isn't that funny though? A person's pride in what he does is ruined by what someone else choose to do, even though they should be entirely separate.

Even then, it's not like most of use are really living "wild" and "survivalist" at Burning Man. We've got ice, tents, generators, monkey huts, etc. Hell, we shit in porta-potties that are pumped out each day and dress up in LED lights. This ain't no nomadic camp in Mongolia.

I wouldn't think too highly of this first-world "survivalism". This "radical self-reliance" only means you're not mooching off your neighbors and expecting concession stands. To that end, the person who drives in his own RV is just as self-reliant as the person who packs in his tent.

I think people need to practice more self-reliance with respect to satisfying their own pride and enjoyment issues.

BBadger

Postby Savannah » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm

BBadger wrote:
5280MeV wrote:When people dance in off an airplane and lounge around in their pre-packaged RV, they completely ruin your notion of pride in being a 'burner'.

Isn't that funny though? A person's pride in what he does is ruined by what someone else choose to do, even though they should be entirely separate.

That's a really good point. If your pride is so dependent on other people respecting or aping your achievements, it can be too easily yanked away.

I don't have to like the luxury campers (and what they do can remain relevant for other reasons) but they are irrelevant to my pride in the skills I've gained on the playa. That someone else can't or doesn't want to do it the way I do doesn't lessen my excitement in learning all that I have, and becoming more physically and emotionally hardy.

Savannah

Postby BBadger » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Savannah wrote:That's a really good point. If your pride is so dependent on other people respecting or aping your achievements, it can be too easily yanked away.

I don't have to like the luxury campers (and what they do can remain relevant for other reasons) but they are irrelevant to my pride in the skills I've gained on the playa. That someone else can't or doesn't want to do it the way I do doesn't lessen my excitement in learning all that I have, and becoming more physically and emotionally hardy.

Hell yeah! People notice too, and what better way to convince a person to try and experience things in other ways than by living it? Like people wanting to volunteer after see others volunteer and wanting to join in.

Or maybe not. Maybe what some of us enjoy others don't relish as part of the experience. Either way, don't let their lack of enthusiasm diminish what you enjoy and do.

BBadger

Postby maladroit » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:17 pm

They aren't a sparkle pony if they provided their own transportation, housing, and essentials...annoying as it might be that they're rich and can just buy a good time.

If I had no money, maybe I would be tempted to cram myself into an overheated rusty schoolbus with people that don't believe in showers, and wander around the playa with nothing. If I had millions to spend, maybe I would be tempted to fly in my jet, build an RV city with shopping mall, and ride around the playa in an air conditioned Pope bubble car. I merely happen to fall somewhere in between, like 99% of you.
maladroit

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:41 pm

If I were rich, I'd have a bubble car--filled with bubble wrap, and I'd have people pop it as my interactivity.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Next

Return to Politics & Philosophy