EL Wire & other glowie stuff

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

EL Wire & other glowie stuff

Postby teardropper » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:13 pm

If you're late with getting your EL wire, bike glow or other illumination, Cool Neon in Oakland can still get you your things. And with a 10% discount with the JRS code. Nice folks. I just ordered overnight delivery. But I'll have my glowie...
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Re: EL Wire & other glowie stuff

Postby otakup0pe » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:01 pm

teardropper wrote:If you're late with getting your EL wire, bike glow or other illumination, Cool Neon in Oakland can still get you your things. And with a 10% discount with the JRS code. Nice folks. I just ordered overnight delivery. But I'll have my glowie...

Cool Neon is amazing. They do will call delivery for those who are in the bay area.
otakup0pe

Burning Since: 2012

Postby rikk789 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:22 am

Will the TSA have a shit-fit if I tried to bring some from UK, or would it be easier to order some to an address in the US (eg: a motel in Reno) and pick it up once I got there?
Always try to at least look busy
rikk789

Burning Since: 2013

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 am

There is absolutely no problem with bringing EL wire on a plane. Tens of thousands of people do it each year with zero problems.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby VultureChow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:46 am

junglesmacks wrote:There is absolutely no problem with bringing EL wire on a plane. Tens of thousands of people do it each year with zero problems.

I'd recommend checking it though. Wearing a wired up coat through security might be a red flag.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby rikk789 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 am

Wouldnt hurt to label stuff as well so theres no doubt its just glowy wire (now seems like a good time to start planning all this)
Always try to at least look busy
rikk789

Burning Since: 2013

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:06 am

VultureChow wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:There is absolutely no problem with bringing EL wire on a plane. Tens of thousands of people do it each year with zero problems.

I'd recommend checking it though. Wearing a wired up coat through security might be a red flag.

There's really no problem.. red flag or no. All they do at most is swab and analyze it. No biggie.

I've passed through TSA with a full body 2400+ LED light suit complete with wiring, battery packs, lasers, you name it inside the suitcase. They laugh and ask me to build them one next. Not just to Burning Man and back. I fly all over the country for business with a carry on full of the stuff.

rikk789 wrote:Wouldnt hurt to label stuff as well so theres no doubt its just glowy wire (now seems like a good time to start planning all this)

Usually what I do is as my check on is going through the xray with everything in it and I'm about to walk through the scanner, I tell one of the TSA guys that I've got a "lighting project" inside the suitcase.. "just so they know". They appreciate that and it alleviates any startles when they see it on the monitor.

..or don't believe me. I've never done any of this before, swear.. :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Power & Illumination