Police Using Entrapment

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Police Using Entrapment

Postby Veggiemonster » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:38 pm

I got approached by an undercover cop. The whole episode really annoyed me, as it was clearly a case of attempted entrapment and it was a blemish on what was otherwise one of the most amazing days of my life.

It was just after sunrise, on the outskirts of the playa - I was at Robot Heart (the sunrise set). I was rolling a cigarette (just tobacco), when this guy walks up. He did a pretty good job of impersonating a burner (the a-holes have been practicing), which is quite scary. A couple things gave him away, but if I had not seem him walking around (or if I was even slightly drunk), I probably wouldn't have noticed. I'm not going to say what the give-away signs were, as I'm sure these guys are trawling these forums, trying to improve their tactics, but as other people have said, look carefully, and trust no-one that just approaches you. The conversation is as below.

Cop: Hey man..can I get few cigarette rolling papers from you?
Me: Sure. How many do you want?
Cop: 3 would be awesome.

I give him 3 rolling papers

Cop: Thanks bro
Me: No problem:
Cop: Let me pay you for the papers
Me: No way. It's only 3 papers and its Burning Man, you're supposed to gift things
Cop: I should give you something though bro. I have some Candy.
Me: What?
Cop: I have Candy and Hash. Why don't I trade you the Candy and the Hash, for the rolling papers?
Me: No thanks.
Cop: No really, let me trade you the papers for the Hash.
Me: No thanks. I don't use illegal substances

At which point he slithered away. A few hours later I saw him with his uniformed colleagues, with a walkie-talkie in his hand.

Everyone, please be careful.If a random person comes asking to sell/buy/trade illegal substances, you should assume they are law enforcement. In this case, his asking to 'trade', was clever, as it may not come across as a 'buy' when they say it, but from a legal perspective, its pretty much the same.

On a side note, my friend was stopped twice by the police, within 10 minutes, as he was leaving the playa. First time the cop told him he was driving over the limit (he was driving at 7mph). The cop let him go after sniffing around. 10 minutes later my friend got stopped by another cop – this time for going to slow. (3pmh) Same thing.
Veggiemonster

Burning Since: 2011

Re: Police Using Entrapment

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Thank you for sharing that, and welcome to ePlaya.

. . . In '08, a guy opened a tin full of weed in offering to me after I said yes, I did indeed have a spare Nat Sherman he could have (gotta have a pink cigarette when you're Hunter S. Thompsoning all over the playa, what?)

I wasn't interested for myself, but had to quell the impulse to take a little and re-gift it to a friend. :roll:
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Trishntek » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 am

They seem to be stepping it up in the bars too. This year, we had a rather clean-cut 30something, 6'3" guy with a cute YOUNG LOOKING blonde. They both had nice, clean costumes and seemed very "neat".

They came to our bar and I was bouncer at the time. I was very proud of our bartender team as they refused BOTH of them drinks without I.D. They proceeded to offer just about anything you can imagine to get a drink. After they finally got the message and walked away, I shadowed them for a bit. Suffice it to say, they did not act like burners upon departure.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:31 am

It's kind of weird, if that's the word, when you encounter an undercover and become aware of the ulterior motive. There was a pair of people claiming to be neighbors to our camp and wanting to bum some pot to "get some sleep." I was very relieved that my friend didn't find any before I could catch him when he went to look. Sometimes it is only after a close call that you realize what may have gone down.

I don't know about all this "they don't look like burners" shit. You know what they say: the cops have been going longer, have better costumes, and know what it means to be a "burner" more than most "burners." Don't depend on your "spidey senses." Don't pretend that you can make a judgement of character. Just be smart about how you conduct yourself.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sham » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 am

This is all strictly a MONEY GRAB on the part of the police. They only want to give tickets out with hefty fines in order to close their tight department budgets. Arrests and prosecutions cost them money, but tickets to people who are out of state, bring huge revenues. After all, even if the ticket is given unfairly, it's not going to be worth coming back to northern Nevada to fight it. Pershing County has been pushing to get BM to pay for more police at the event. My take is that we are paying for the police and they are reaping to money from the entrapment fines.

Maybe 4 years ago, a guy in his late teens/early twenties strolled into our camp around mid morning looking for a beer. I just thought of him as a moocher and told him we didn't have any beer. I am sure, in retrospect, that he was an undercover kid working with the police. It probably would have been a $500 fine--then they would be on to the next mark.

I don't think the law enforcement folks realize that they are living in an extremely depressed area--especially since USG closed Empire. If Burning Man leaves this area, it will simply dry up and become yet another Nevada ghost town. For two solid months of the year, this event brings in between 15-22 million dollars to this area, in the form of contractors, port-a-potty suppliers, car rentals (taxes), hotel rooms (taxes and housekeeper pay), merchandise bought etc.

They will be dumbfounded with their thumbs up their bottoms (and each others bottoms) if this event moves to a different location. I just don't think they are smart enough to know that they are killing the golden goose here.
Sham

Postby CornMan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:39 am

It wasn't entrapment, but they got me for my California tags on my RV being a few months out of date. $150 fine. My registrations was paid up, but I can't pass smog. In California, the court will waive the fine if you take care of registration. That's not the case with them, it's simply a $150 fine for driving with expired tags. $150 seems a little steep for such a minor offense. I won't protest if they move the event to California or Oregon.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby salope » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:10 am

Does anybody say "Candy" non-ironically ??

Is this some next-level narc shit, where they use deliberately outdated and lame drug slang, so that people assume they aren't a narc since a narc wouldn't use such obviously ridiculous and narc-y language? If so, they are stepping up their game. I didn't realize narcs had gone all post-ironic.

I had something similar happen on the outskirts of a crowd around an art car party at night. Guy asked me for a cig, then ever so casually as I was turning away he asks "Hey, you interested in extracts?" "Extracts?!?" "Yeah, like pot extracts." Uhhh, no, thanks, narcy narc narc.

Wonder if it was the same guy, and it's part of his shtick to use groan-inducing slang that most people would require finger quotes to deploy.

Careful out there people, shit is getting “real” aka post-ironic. Expect surreal Cheech & Chong antics in 2013.
Keep Burning Man potentially natal.
salope

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: solo mo-fo, Ritz on playa

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:38 am

f this event moves to a different location. I just don't think they are smart enough to know that they are killing the golden goose here.

did the sale of fly ranch go thru yet?

:twisted:
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby lucky420 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:57 am

Oh for fucks sake! Bring your own party favors and keep it on the dl, ya'll be fine...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Sham » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:30 am

Hey lucky, do mind if I search your car? If you have nothing to hide, what's the big deal? I'll have you on your way in 10 minutes. :roll:

EVERYONE needs to refuse any type of search--especially if you have nothing to hide. These goofs need to waste a lot of time chasing their tails!
Sham

Postby Nipple » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:40 am

I do not consent to a search before I post questions on ePlaya.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:00 am

ummm I don't know how this turned into sham searching my car, but go ahead...

My post was for on playa. In other words, don't accept any "candy" from strangers and don't offer any candy to strangers. Or alcohol to anyone you don't card...

Cheers :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby DustyBubbles » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:13 pm

We were stopped right after entering the gate on Sunday. We are from Oregon, where you don't need tags/plates on a small trailor, but the cop said that since we are in Nevada (and had gone through California) we were not in compliance of the law. He was actually REALLY NICE and was obviously just checking to see if we were high or drunk but still.
Now I wonder, what should I do next year in order to prevent this from happening again? I don't need tags/plates so is there some kind of DMV issued pass I can get? Any Organisms been throguh this as well?
DustyBubbles

Postby Elliot » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:04 pm

DustyBubbles wrote:We were stopped right after entering the gate on Sunday. We are from Oregon, where you don't need tags/plates on a small trailor, but the cop said that since we are in Nevada (and had gone through California) we were not in compliance of the law. He was actually REALLY NICE and was obviously just checking to see if we were high or drunk but still.
Now I wonder, what should I do next year in order to prevent this from happening again? I don't need tags/plates so is there some kind of DMV issued pass I can get? Any Organisms been throguh this as well?

You might want to carry a copy of the relevant regulation. In California, the California Department Of Motor Vehicles has free handbooks that spell out such things in layman's language. I gather most States have such publications. I once visited an equivalent office in Oregon, and the clerks there were extremely friendly and helpful.

You might also ask about a license plate just for out-of-State travel. In California, keeping a plate on a small trailer now costs only two dollars -- $2,- -- a year, after a reasonable original fee.

But I do wonder.... You do not specify in your post, but it sounds like you were not cited for the lack of a license plate on this trailer. (As I understand it, most States try to accommodate tourists by accepting their home State's rules for their vehicles.) If so, why do you object to a brief conversation with a "VERY NICE" person? Surely, you are glad he was keeping an eye out for drunk drivers, since you use the roads yourself?
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby dj_john69 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:52 pm

You just got to be careful when you have any chance of getting busted for something whether its herb or expired tags on a rv. Use your common sense if ya have any !! Dont give the feds any chance to stalk you around the Playa.
Fuck you, fuck you...you're cool, fuck you !!
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby CornMan » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 pm

I did take precautions to have my proof of insurance documents ready to show in case I get pulled over. My not passing smog threw me through a loop. I was considering applying for the one day transport permit to drive to a smog station. I left California on Friday and stayed in a hotel in Reno, but I would have gotten the permit for the Saturday I drove from a hotel and on through the Burning Man gauntlet because I just had a gut feeling the cops in Gerlach/BRC were going to be hard core this year. Oh well, I guess a $150 fine is better than renting a $3000+ RV.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby 666isMONEY » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am

Not entrapment but weird and worth repeating:

Tuesday, afternoon after most ppl left, a funny-looking minivan (not a mutant vehicle) was cruising down Begonia around Osiris Temple. I was the only one around (neighbors all left), suddenly, I see a green tennis ball about 100-feet away. It was very hot outside so I left it there figuring I or someone else would moop it later. About half-hour later, two female Pershing County deputy sheriffs pull up in an electric golf cart. I hear one of 'em say, "there's one!" They stop, one says to the other, "don't forget to take a pic!" She then says, "best fuckin' job I ever had." I smiled and waved, they left.

Same day, later in the evening, I lit up a cig and a SO cruised right in front of my camp (not on the street but coming up behind me), I heard one of 'em say to the other, "cigarette."

I think the tennis balls were full of weed.
666isMONEY

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:16 am

666isMONEY wrote:I think the tennis balls were full of weed.

:roll:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby lucky420 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:19 am

junglesmacks wrote:

:roll:

Are you sure you weren't full of weed? :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby curt shocker » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:54 am

Hmm. Sounds like there might have been a racket in the area.
curt shocker

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:05 am

[youtube][/youtube]
curt shocker wrote:

Hmm. Sounds like there might have been a racket in the area.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby BBadger » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:47 am

Nipple wrote:I do not consent to a search before I post questions on ePlaya.

The search wouldn't work anyway.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby JStep » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:59 am

*waves hand*
"These aren't the drugs you're looking for."

"Oh, these aren't the drugs we're looking for."

"We're free to go."

"You're... You're free to go."
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby DrYes » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:52 am

Roberto Dobbisano wrote:
f this event moves to a different location. I just don't think they are smart enough to know that they are killing the golden goose here.

did the sale of fly ranch go thru yet?

Doesn't really matter. When/if it does, it's not a suitable site for Burning Man and isn't being considered as such.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:10 pm

The goose itself isn't golden, it just lays golden eggs...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby AdamOfTheRedEarth » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:21 am

Had a guy come into our camp mid-day, specifically looking for me (he must have seen my thread about spotting undercover cops because I'd never seen him before) and the second sentence out of his mouth was "Hey I'm looking to score some reefer". Huh? What's that? I can get you a drink? "No, man I need some reefer" Well, good luck with that. Cop or not, even if I had some I wouldn't have given him any.
AdamOfTheRedEarth

Camp Name: House of Skin - Adult Playground

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:25 am

(he must have seen my thread about spotting undercover cops because I'd never seen him before)

yer killing me, smalls.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby wh..sh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:47 am

lucky420 wrote:

Are you sure you weren't full of weed? :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Hayseed » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:57 am

For whatever reason drugs never have and still don't interest me. Consequently, I've never followed or learned drug slang, past through present. I do, however, have a sweet tooth that should qualify me for rehab somewhere. If someone (narc) asked me in the City or on the Playa if I wanted some "candy", I gotta tell you I'd be thinking M&M's or a Butterfinger. Is this dumb farmer at risk of County lockup because no one would ever believe that I thought "candy" was candy? I'm starting to get paranoid, man!
Hayseed

Postby aserendipity » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:42 am

okay now I am of the age where if they stopped me again I would upperut first ,not cool just a reflex ..
But when I was driving with sons and they did triangulate and stop me just to ticket for speeding ,wasnt, I spent some serious time phoning state and regional and national arguing the issue of out of state persons not being available to come to court
the ticket was dropped and I urge you all to be loud to the bigs about the need for reality in their justice syste
xoA.
aserendipity

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man