Join a Camp Or Not? 1st Time..

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Join a Camp Or Not? 1st Time..

Postby andybutwhy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 am

Hey all

Im planning on losing my V at 2013, I was just wondering would it be better to try and join a camp or going it alone?! While there are all theme camps open to random visitors or are some funny about this..

Any help much appreciated

:-)
andybutwhy

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: I need a Camp PLZ get in touch!

Re: Join a Camp Or Not? 1st Time..

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 am

andybutwhy wrote:Hey all

Im planning on losing my V at 2013, I was just wondering would it be better to try and join a camp or going it alone?! While there are all theme camps open to random visitors or are some funny about this..

Any help much appreciated

You can go alone, or you can join a camp. Theme camps sometimes have private events, but mostly come to participate. I went my first year with just my sister, though we did stay with a camp of veterans. We were prepared to be on our own and did not rely on anyone for anything. One nice thing about a theme camp is that most know the drill and will have an infrastructure. Theme camps may have dues and will require you to work a bit (man the bar, set-up, take-down, ect.). To me it's really a matter of being part of a group. Having a "home base." People do Burning Man all different kinds of ways.

You can get even ride art cars - just be sure to ASK before you get on. And don't jump on a moving art car.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby VultureChow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:08 am

I had planned on going solo and then joined up with an established camp.

I'm so glad I did. I'm a bit of an introvert, so I think it would have been harder for me to reach out and talk to people without the camp interactions. And it turns out I love volunteering and helping out with events, so I will be doing more of that next year.

danibel wrote:You can get even ride art cars - just be sure to ASK before you get on.

You know it's so interesting. I had zero problems getting on any art car I wanted. I'm a chick, but not a particularly good looking one, so that didn't have anything to do with it. I was really worried that it was going to be high school all over again where the cool kids get into the good parties.

If I saw a car that I wanted to get on, I walked over, complimented the driver on the vehicle and then as they were about to leave, I asked if they minded if I joined them for a bit.

I never was turned down. But people can be super obnoxious. One of the boats I was on stopped at the potties, and 10 europeans just jumped right on in front of the driver. Didn't ask, just swarmed the ship like rats.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby danibel » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am

VultureChow wrote:
You know it's so interesting. I had zero problems getting on any art car I wanted. I'm a chick, but not a particularly good looking one, so that didn't have anything to do with it. I was really worried that it was going to be high school all over again where the cool kids get into the good parties.

If I saw a car that I wanted to get on, I walked over, complimented the driver on the vehicle and then as they were about to leave, I asked if they minded if I joined them for a bit.

I never was turned down. But people can be super obnoxious. One of the boats I was on stopped at the potties, and 10 europeans just jumped right on in front of the driver. Didn't ask, just swarmed the ship like rats.

Usually we spend one night just art car hopping. Park the bikes at Center Camp and just ride all over, or wherever the driver wants to go. It's a fun way to see the playa. I am not surprised at that group just jumping on. I think that happens pretty regularly. Quite rude.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby trilobyte » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:28 am

You may care to spend some time reading the boards, the discussion pops up from time to time. Additionally, these two threads are definitely worth reading - How to start a theme camp and How to join a theme camp. It also applies regardless of whether it's a camp with or without a theme.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby andybutwhy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks for the advice reply's guys..

Can I ask if I join a camp do you generally meet away from BRC and travel there together or just meet at the site location OR does this change for each camp? Ha sozzy for all the V questions I'm just trying to get a picture in my mind of how I'm going to actually get to BRC...

andybutwhy

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:44 am

You will bond better with campmates if you can meet with them and work together before. You may meet people through your regional ahead of time already connected with a camp. It might be possible to meet people from the SF bay area that would appreciate spending a few days before packing, building camp, taking it down and cleaning up the site, then helping unpack. Finding responsible people to pack and clean up camp at the end is a challenge.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 am

andybutwhy wrote:Thanks for the advice reply's guys..

Can I ask if I join a camp do you generally meet away from BRC and travel there together or just meet at the site location OR does this change for each camp? Ha sozzy for all the V questions I'm just trying to get a picture in my mind of how I'm going to actually get to BRC...

That
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby andybutwhy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:49 am

Ta
andybutwhy

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 am

I would put it out there to join a camp and see how that goes. The theme camp doesn't have to be some huge expensive camp or anything, it can be a smaller more low key one, or heck I was in a smaller low key camp in a big village my first year. I was dragged in by a couple of friends I met from Utah that moved to my hometown. It was the perfect opportunity. I paid $60 for my camp fee (which was waaaaaay cheaper than me building my own shower for only me to use) and got to share food casually with others, which was also better on my budget and diet. That 60 bux paid for our camp playground and storage and the likes.....so everything was set for me to help out with when I got there. I could take bar shifts and playground bowlinig alley shifts and feel like I had something rad going on that I didnt need to build from scratch. For a first timer I think that is a really good thing. Heck I'm on year 7 and I still do it the same way. I am sure winging it by yourself has its own perks but I needed a little direction myself. I was in that same camp and village for 5 years (lustre) it was great. I connected with them through an on line group the rest of the year since they all lived in Utah and the bay area. It worked out, though. They were my playa buddies only, never saw them the rest of the year, but I had a special bond with them full of love and trust. I made them cool shit and they made me cool shit. It just happened, I put it out there and met these friends and I finally made it to Burning Man the way I felt comfortable going.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 am

RedHeaven wrote:I would put it out there to join a camp and see how that goes.

I'm just going say that "putting it out there" might not be enough. You might have to actively seek what you need, do some footwork, pound some metaphoric pavement and knock some metaphoric doors. Many camps would rather that you were interested in more than a playa address. Of course, there's always Doc and Barbie Death Village...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:45 am

Don't encourage him Fishy. We're not looking for new members as of this time. In fact, we're actively expelling (ex) members.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:46 am

You are not alone in coming from overseas. Look around and you'll find a camp or two that caters to you and your type. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:33 am

Hey Andy! Join your regional lists for your area and any neighboring ones. There are probably some camps in the UK that might suit you.
http://regionals.burningman.com/

Lots of camps have members who don't live local to the rest of them, however. This might mean that your camp fee might be higher because you don't help build during the year. Not the end of the world. :)

Coming from overseas, it's lots easier to have a camp (typical amenities include shade and a shower; sometimes more) but it is not necessarily fool-hardy to be without one. You could also fly into Reno and have a box truck rental waiting for you if you can drive in the states. Cheaper than an RV.

Box Truck Camping Tips
viewtopic.php?t=35289
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby andybutwhy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 am

Thanks for the help and advice guys.. much appreciated :-)
andybutwhy

Postby graidawg » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Don't encourage him Fishy. We're not looking for new members as of this time. In fact, we're actively expelling (ex) members.

we are?

hides in corner of the bar
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:Don't encourage him Fishy. We're not looking for new members as of this time. In fact, we're actively expelling (ex) members.

You might make more progress if you expel current members, making them into ex members.

At least as I understand it. I"m just a fish...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks