HexaYurts

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: HexaYurts

Postby Fiver » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:27 pm

I never got an answer about this before the burn so finally after getting the 5x8' Uhaul trailer (we needed it anyway) I can confirm a packaged hexy..... might fit.
I wound up buying a rack for my car and hauling my Hexy on the roof. As for the trailer, the hexy (all packaged up, wrapped in a tarp) will fit in there if you don't have much else. You would have to put it at an angle. Just sliding the hexy in on the floor or on it's side you won't be able to close the door. It's really close though. The only thing preventing the sliding door on the trailer from closing was the little tie down ribs inside the trailer. The 1" or so those poke out from the wall is just enough to not let it close. If I had less stuff to haul I probably could have made it fit. I will probably have the same trailer next year, and less stuff to haul. (No more hauling for the camp, just my own stuff) and I will probably be able to get the hexy inside the trailer angled. While the roof rack did work ok, it was certainly a HUGE air drag. I used waaaay more gas this year getting to and from the burn with it up there. The next size up Uhaul could fit the hexy easily. Sadly this one requires a truck to tow. 5x8' is I believe the largest you can tow with a normal car. (In my case, a Subaru Outback)
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby stack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:00 am

It will fit. I've brought our yurt twice in the 5X8 uhaul. I put a sheet of plywood down, then the yurt, then another sheet of plywood and load stuff on top of it. Keep the tarp separate cause it *is* a tight fit with the door. I had all our gear and 4 bikes in there and top of the yurt on the way home. Probably why my suspension is shot on my car now, as the uhauls weigh in at 900 lbs empty.
stack

Postby Fiver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:20 pm

stack wrote:It will fit. I've brought our yurt twice in the 5X8 uhaul. I put a sheet of plywood down, then the yurt, then another sheet of plywood and load stuff on top of it. Keep the tarp separate cause it *is* a tight fit with the door. I had all our gear and 4 bikes in there and top of the yurt on the way home. Probably why my suspension is shot on my car now, as the uhauls weigh in at 900 lbs empty.

I had some really heavy stuff to load in the trailer so I don't think this option would work for me, but it's good to know. Perhaps next year I can get some of the heavier stuff offloaded to my friends vehicles. How much weight do you think you could put on top of a properly prepared hexy stack? (1" material sandwiched between two 4x8 plywood pieces?).
The heaviest stuff I haul is my generator (Honda eu3000is), 2-3 large coolers full of ice/dry ice, 30ish gallons of water, and 10-20 gallons of gas. (for the genny). Then bikes and some other lighter weight stuff. Oh, and what feels like a ton of rebar.
Fiver

Postby ♥feenix♥ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:42 pm

Hexiyurt camp...does this exist? Flying in and want to use yurt. Hoping to pick up on playa. Any suggestions or confirmation of this service/camp would be great! Happy burn :D
♥feenix♥

Burning Since: 2012

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

This is probably not the best place to look for that. The board is kept commerce-free, or at least commerce-narrowly-limited. Plus the people on this board are not particularly sympathetic to those who buy the experience rather than achieve it through research, hard work, friendships, and the like.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby 9ah » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:57 am

::unzips tent::

I know where tent camp is....

:coffee:
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby RusherRacing » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:29 pm

Any thoughts on storing your fresh water and grey water that you need to haul out inside your yurt to help with its thermal mass - aka keep it cooler longer in the mornings. Since more heat energy will be required to heat up not only the air but the 20+ gallons of water?

I have been looking at ways to add thermal mass to parts of my house for this reason and thought it would easily be adapted to a yurt. May eliminate the need for a swamp cooler or a/c...

Has this been done before did it work out good?
- insert witty, nerdy, sexual comment here -
RusherRacing

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: In search of a home on the playa

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't use a swamp cooler or ad in my yurt. Then again I have lived in n. nv all my life and am acclimated. If it does get to hot for me I just spray myself down and sit in the shade or lay down inside the yurt.

I rent a 16ft truck and keep my water in there. For drinking water I keep a 10 gallon Coleman water cooler and refill with ice and water when needed.

As for my grey water, I use a big tub with a portable clothes dryer rack over it. I just dip old towels into the grey water and it drips and dries. Doing this throughout the week I never have any grey water left. Stinky towels yes, grey water no.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

I don't understand how this would work. I think that the surface area of the yurt and the lack of being one with the water means that the yurt will heat up and the water will stay cold. Maybe you need to figure out how to take a nap lying on the water.

(Note: I do understand the basics of thermal mass, but I think it applies to more permanent structures. Also, given the people on this board, if this had been tried and it had worked, we'd have all sorts of threads about how to do it and how to do it in a tent and so forth.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Roark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:20 pm

It boils down to simple math really. Once you understand the physics you will see how 20 gals isn't really that significant in the thermal equasion. Remember that unless you are getting a phase change, you're looking at peanuts for buffering capacity

Having said that, a thousand gallons would easily get you the effect you seek without needing a phase change. :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Might as well bring a swamp cooler and save the fuel costs of bringing that much water.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Roark » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Swamp cooler = phase change. :mrgreen: Its a Nerd Thingie... :mrgreen:
Give me an underground laboratory, half a dozen atom-smashers, and a beautiful girl in a diaphanous veil waiting to be turned into a chimpanzee, and I care NOT who writes this nation’s laws. ... S.J. Perelman
Roark

Postby RusherRacing » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:50 pm

Great response. Just wanted to ask the question - kinda stemmed from a thread about keeping your cooler in the yurt..
- insert witty, nerdy, sexual comment here -
RusherRacing

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: In search of a home on the playa

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm

Never commented on Yurts before..until now. Do they keep cool during the day? If so..is that with one person? It seems to me..that any non-porous material used to encapsulate an area, is nothing more than plastic bag. Sure, it may block 200% of the suns rays, but with self heating organisms inhabiting this space...exhaling heated non-breathable CO2, things may become a little uncomfortable.

Most comfortable Ive ever been on the playa, was in a hammock..under a tarp
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby lucky420 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:44 pm

Temps aren't to bad during the day. It can get a little stuffy during the day but that's what windows are for.

Shits gonna get dusty anyways. :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby TomServo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:54 pm

lucky420 wrote:Temps aren't to bad during the day. It can get a little stuffy during the day but that's what windows are for.

Shits gonna get dusty anyways. :lol:

I've learned to LOVE the dust!

TomServo

Postby jkisha » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 pm

We have a two room Yurt. (maybe three rooms this year.) and the back room is totally sealed and air conditioned. It is literally dust free and acts as the bedroom. We undress in the front room before entering the bedroom. The front stays pretty cool with the residual from the bedroom AC, plus we don't carpet the front room other than the tarp, and the playa floor actually has a cooling effect too.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby TomServo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:31 am

jkisha wrote:We have a two room Yurt. (maybe three rooms this year.) and the back room is totally sealed and air conditioned. It is literally dust free and acts as the bedroom. We undress in the front room before entering the bedroom. The front stays pretty cool with the residual from the bedroom AC, plus we don't carpet the front room other than the tarp, and the playa floor actually has a cooling effect too.

Air Conditioning? Way to embrace the desert.If they're homemade, I can support that. Sorry, just in asshole mode tonight.

TomServo

Postby jkisha » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:39 am

TomServo wrote:
jkisha wrote:We have a two room Yurt. (maybe three rooms this year.) and the back room is totally sealed and air conditioned. It is literally dust free and acts as the bedroom. We undress in the front room before entering the bedroom. The front stays pretty cool with the residual from the bedroom AC, plus we don't carpet the front room other than the tarp, and the playa floor actually has a cooling effect too.

Air Conditioning? Way to embrace the desert.If they're homemade, I can support that. Sorry, just in asshole mode tonight.

It's easier to embrace on the playa when you can sleep in until noon or take a nap at 3 in the afternoon. I probably shouldn't mention the instant hot water shower. :shock:
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby TomServo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:56 am

Yeah well, Im still working on bringing a (personal) hot tub to the playa. Its the 300 gallons of water that got me stumped.

TomServo

New to Hexayurt

Postby forge » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi,

I am looking to go hexayurt this year. I want to either build or buy a 6' stretch hexayurt.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1 - Is it possible to buy a hexayurt (used or new)? If so where?
2 - Did anyone build a 6' stretch last year? If so, what was the approximate cost?
3 - Where are some places online to buy hexayurt supplies cheaply (online or in los angeles)?

Thanks
:D
forge

Re: New to Hexayurt

Postby 9ah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm

forge wrote:Hi,

I am looking to go hexayurt this year. I want to either build or buy a 6' stretch hexayurt.

Can anyone help me with the following questions:

1 - Is it possible to buy a hexayurt (used or new)? If so where?
2 - Did anyone build a 6' stretch last year? If so, what was the approximate cost?
3 - Where are some places online to buy hexayurt supplies cheaply (online or in los angeles)?

Thanks
:D

Try this: http://bit.ly/10iRNEu
Illuminate. Navigate. Celebrate.
What would you do if you knew you couldn't fail?
9ah

Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 pm

What do folks do with their panels post-burn?
Just throw it out? These are not recyclable.
Save the parts for next year?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:48 pm

Yes UD we reuse them every year. Just have to buy new tape...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Fiver » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm

lucky420 wrote:Yes UD we reuse them every year. Just have to buy new tape...

Maybe you re-use yours. I just chop mine up into little bitty pieces and let it blow away in the playa wind at the end of the event. One less thing to haul out.
Fiver

Postby lucky420 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:41 pm

:lol: @fiver

Well yes there is always that...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Postby Hondovious » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Here are some pics of my yurt from last year. We really decked out the inside since we were on playa for 12 days this year. A metro shelf with carribeaners makes a great closet mixed with some storage bins to keep out dust. We hung our playa coats off the side. We also had a chest freezer full of frozen gallons of water and moved a couple into the big cooler every day, worked great to keep it cold then we had ice water for drinking and for the swamp cooler. A smaller metro rack was our kitchen/pantry. Add a tall queen size inflatable bed, some camping chairs, and a hot blonde and you are set for a magical week.

Hondovious

Postby jkisha » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Nice!
JK
jkisha

Postby BurnerBunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:13 pm

screw suffering in the heat. This year my hexayurt will have ac, glam camping at burning man here i come :D
BurnerBunny

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Iffy Pop

Postby jkisha » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 pm

Yup, A/C is the only way to go.
JK
jkisha

PreviousNext

Return to Shelter & Camping