Living on the Edge

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Living on the Edge

Postby teardropper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Well, not that edge, though BRC is kinda' there. I'm talking about living on the edge of BRC, out in the burbs. We got wheels-on-playa about 2:00 AM Monday and got through Willcall, Gate and Greeters about 4. Frustration and fatigue got me parked at 7:30 & J, right on the corner. I put my rig and miscellaneous stuff around to make sure I'd have enough space to set up my camp and we went to sleep for a while. Spent Monday setting up and was pretty tired but decided about 9:00 PM to go just to have a look at the Man. OK, while riding back about 3 AM on 6, we were getting near J and saw these giant lights and wondering what they were. As we got close we started hearing the bell ring and realized it was Gate - we'd never camped that far out becore that we could see and hear Gate. As the week went on, we got used to seeing some LEO's flashing light stopping some incoming who didn't heed the Grreeters fasten your seat belts and drive 5 mph. Out in the burbs on that corner was the best location for our little neighborhood bar and bowling alley. Lots of folks coming by who were thirsty. What was your experience on the edge?
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Re: Living on the Edge

Postby Rice » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm

You were close to Greeters. A couple miles from Gate.
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."
Rice

Burning Since: 2007

Postby teardropper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:44 pm

Oh, yeah, probably, bright lights, heard the bells... yeah, Greeters.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Ano » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

I'm only a two-year burner, so my opinion is obviously completely wrong and useless.

I've only ever lived on H and I, and I'd have it no other way.

First off, I'm still ridiculously close to the "madness" of the rest of the Playa. While the deep streets may not be the best people-watching places, I'm still a mere five minute bike ride away from the Esplanade. Secondly, the camps seem to have more personality in the back streets. When I start moseying my way closer to the Esplanade, I find that all camps, theme or not, tend to have really strict boundaries blocked by cars or RVs. I can understand privacy, but I really like how in all of my backwoods neighborhoods, I don't even need to bike on the street to mosey my neighborhood.

Theme camps are cool and all, but I find much more personality in the little unmapped bars that people build.

I like that my porto-potties are virtually always clean, rather than clean for two hours and then trashed.

I find a lot of really cool art and interactive things to play with on the outer streets. It may not be a twelve story penis with a viewing platform or a train with a giant horn, but god-damn if there isn't something endearing about a home-made swingset or the like.

I'm pretty much a permanent resident of H-I-J-K-L streets, unless I find something to really drag me away from it. I like travelling on the Playa, I like having more room, and I like being able to sit down to poop at any time of the day rather than opening each door of the porto and realizing that the United folk haven't made it over yet.
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby teardropper » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 pm

Yep. Wish you'da found my bowling alley/bar - you're my people. Spent a couple years at B. action packed, I thought. I like your assessment.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Every different spot in BRC has its specialties. I did 3 years on the Esplanade, it was super fun, never again. I really like it at the D area, halfway point. I loved the theme camps in the burbs and the non theme camps. I love the edge because you can really see the stars out there and feel the quietness of camping. I make it a point to spend a little time on the outer ring (not deep playa) once during the week for that feeling. I personally would choose to live in the middle as the Esplanade is too central and the outer ring is too out there and I like the balance in the middle, between B and G. But everywhere has its perks. If I had to choose Outer Ring OR Esplanade again, I would choose outer ring and make sure I kept my Air Jordans on and my bike in good order :)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am

I camp out on L, the outer ring, over near 9 o'clock. The area sucks. Worst spot in BRC. I would advise all against setting up their camp in that neighborhood... Probably one of the few things worse than being there at the Burn itself. It sucks. Tell your friends.

Unless you have a plans for a free flowing bar, or have some sort of art, or put together jam sessions during the day, or make extra coffee in the morning, or enjoy the outdoors, or like people, or if you have a joke to tell, or are simply friendly, or you mind your own business, or if you are chicks....otherwise I would advise that you consider camping elsewhere....if not for you, then for the community.

In front of camp we have the open playa, lit with the sunset and sunrise. An early morning walk or late night stroll out in the vast space just across the road. Traffic arriving and leaving, passing and waving as we sit in the shade. Behind us, the hum of the city, but it's usually a couple blocks away. I love the playa more than I love the rave, though. And we get hit heavy with the wind. Man, I love that. Definately the sticks. Don't usually walk out the door straight into a Disco Dali painting. Going out, you want to make sure you bring everything you'll need, as it's a ride to get back.....but who knows what you'll run into? Late night traffic is nearly nil, except for the occasional stray looking for some Russian party, or a girl name lisa. Watch the security forces shine spotlights along the surrounding hills, speeding law enforcement vehicles crossing the distant expanse on the other side of the BRC boundry. During the day the wind sailors, people practicing yoga, the wandering minstrel, etc. pass on the playa outside our carport. It's a ride to the serious action in town and out to the Man, but it offers a way to escape that bustle of Gaza/Mos Eisley in the evening.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 am

If I ever decide to camp in an RV or vehicle, I will definitely camp toward the outside. It's just beautiful out there. And I think I would really enjoy the relative quiet--choosing when I wanted noise and social activity, and having the joy of solitude when I need it. I've camped on H street before, and even that far out was a great experience. I've also camped on G, when G was--for all intents and purposes--an outside street. :D Not such a brutal commute though.

I'm really enjoying this thread, in the meantime.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby mgb327 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:50 pm

For two years, it's 3:30 and J for me. A short trip to the JOTS, but not close enough to hear the doors slam. The big sound/cars don't come out there so much, seems very "neighborly". Not a bad ride to the Esplanade, I kinda like that less dense feel. I will camp there again. This year was tough, 'tho, as the streets around 3-4 were TERRIBLE to ride on. The ruts, potholes, piles of dust, sinkholes, and all the foot traffic made it easier to just walk. Much better in 2011. I just used Stewies time machine, and next year, 3:30 is the place to be. Solid, man.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby wh..sh » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:58 pm

Camped 2 years on K... I would have it no other way. Absolutely love the lack of crowd, and makes for great alone-time walks to the camp, at night.
And all that open space!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby illy dilly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm

mgb327 wrote:This year was tough, 'tho, as the streets around 3-4 were TERRIBLE to ride on. The ruts, potholes, piles of dust, sinkholes, and all the foot traffic made it easier to just walk. Much better in 2011. I just used Stewies time machine, and next year, 3:30 is the place to be. Solid, man.

COMPLETELY!
We were on G at 3:15. Between us and 3:30 there was a dune hill of dust.
You'd see people riding bikes that didn't expect it then WAM! they would stop instantly and almost eat shit everytime.
It was the worst/deepest dust dunes I've ever seen anywhere in BRC or out on the Playa!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Patiencepie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:10 pm

I was on 4:30 and Lilac across from Walk-In camping. It was great. Had a friend over in Walk in and it was a chill, quiet zone, peaceful and great for morning coffee. Bit of a bike ride into the city but worth it. One night, I came home and my neighbors were out and their alarm clock was going off for hours! A bit of a bugger as I'd rather be blasted with music than an alarm but that's what the ear plugs were for, no biggie! Loved it anyway!
Patiencepie

Postby Scatter42 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:55 pm

Lonesomebri said it best in an earlier post and I approve that particular message
7:50 and the outer ring every year for me - it's beautiful out there....
Scatter42

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:35 pm

If I wanted peace and quiet, I'd go camping in BFE. I go to TTITD to party my ass off.. not to count stars. Never again will I camp any deeper than B..

..but that's just me.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby teardropper » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:52 pm

Boy, did I not get peace and quiet at 7:30 & J. When I kept the lights on in the Bar & Bowl I had folks wantin' something at the bar till the wee hours. Pretty crazy. I was at B a couple years and really thought I needed it. As I've found in this thread, the burbs ain't just for sleeping.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Lord Of Ruin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:38 pm

teardropper wrote:Well, not that edge, though BRC is kinda' there. I'm talking about living on the edge of BRC, out in the burbs. We got wheels-on-playa about 2:00 AM Monday and got through Willcall, Gate and Greeters about 4. Frustration and fatigue got me parked at 7:30 & J, right on the corner. I put my rig and miscellaneous stuff around to make sure I'd have enough space to set up my camp and we went to sleep for a while. Spent Monday setting up and was pretty tired but decided about 9:00 PM to go just to have a look at the Man. OK, while riding back about 3 AM on 6, we were getting near J and saw these giant lights and wondering what they were. As we got close we started hearing the bell ring and realized it was Gate - we'd never camped that far out becore that we could see and hear Gate. As the week went on, we got used to seeing some LEO's flashing light stopping some incoming who didn't heed the Grreeters fasten your seat belts and drive 5 mph. Out in the burbs on that corner was the best location for our little neighborhood bar and bowling alley. Lots of folks coming by who were thirsty. What was your experience on the edge?

Wait...didn't you post in another thread that you had a really intrusive search from Gate this year? During the time you describe, we were moving very, very quickly (note your 2 hour time from playa to camp instead of the 8+ from prior years).
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)
Lord Of Ruin

Burning Since: 2017

Postby mudpuppy000 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 pm

First three years I camped out in I or J. Loved it! This year we were placed on B, and I loved that too, even though it was difficult to sleep with all the noise going on around us.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby teardropper » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:09 pm

Yeah, it might have been closer to 5 am when we found our camp spot, but things were moving quickly, even at Will Call. And near white outs in line - goggles and masks. I don't recall any 8 hour Entry's.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Return to Experiences at Burning Man