Beer

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Re: Beer

Postby Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:05 am

Nowadays even pickles come in plastic jars. Thanks Bob.

As for the Canpagne, those Frenchies have the name Champagne sealed up, and they ain't aboard canning it.....but the word Canpagne tossed on California sparkling wine? Someone is gonna get rich.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby danibel » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Bob wrote:You may thank me for authoring Recycle Camp's first web page back in 1997, recommending canned beverages. Or not.

True, nobody's going to smack that glass dildo engorged with mass-produced froth out of your mouth. The question is whether you understand the consequences of broken bottles on the ground for you, your campmates, visitors, DPW, or whoever else gets it in the foot, hand or tire tread picking up after you or whomever you "gift" a glass-bottled beer. When DPW gets it, weeks after you pranced off in search of your next rave festicle, the rain or the water trucks will have cemented those two or three hundred shards of cheap defective glass in the clay of the playa. Then picture your Leave-No-Trace DPW proxy prone on the desert ground in the chilly winds of late September, clothed in haphazard ripped garments and economy gloves, prying each barely-visible fragment of YOUR FUCKING BEER BOTTLE out of the fragile earth with an ersatz pig-sticker, for no other reason than to faithfully fulfill the BLM permit stipulations so you beer snobs can pose around for camp pictures next year waving bottles with some blubbery Belgian monk or a meaningless purity statement about "beechwood aging" or "sky-blue waters" on the label.

LOL. Thank you for putting it so eloquently.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby piehole » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Nowadays even pickles come in plastic jars. Thanks Bob.

As for the Canpagne, those Frenchies have the name Champagne sealed up, and they ain't aboard canning it.....but the word Canpagne tossed on California sparkling wine? Someone is gonna get rich.

PATENT PENDING
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
piehole

Burning Since: 2012

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:29 am

canpagne on canned wine? its a thought
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby tatonka » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks all , Does Beer count as part of your water your suppose to bring? ")
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby danibel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm

Um. No. I bring about 20 gallons of water (for me for 7 days of drinking and showers). Mostly in 2.5 gallon "suitcases," but this year I really liked the crystal gyser one gallons for the bike and in the van. They are kind of square shaped and very light weight.

I only brought a case of beer this year. I usually bring two, but then bring a bunch home (or donate to DPW), budget was tight so I brought what I thought I would drink and share. It was a perfect amount. My camp has a bar hour(s), and I hit some bars on the playa while out and about, I felt I had plenty of alcohol.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:58 pm

danibel wrote:Um. No. I bring about 20 gallons of water (for me for 7 days of drinking and showers). Mostly in 2.5 gallon "suitcases," but this year I really liked the crystal gyser one gallons for the bike and in the van. They are kind of square shaped and very light weight.

You drink one of the gallons first, and then you can use it as a bottle for the rest of the event.
Fishy tip...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:11 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
danibel wrote:Um. No. I bring about 20 gallons of water (for me for 7 days of drinking and showers). Mostly in 2.5 gallon "suitcases," but this year I really liked the crystal gyser one gallons for the bike and in the van. They are kind of square shaped and very light weight.

You drink one of the gallons first, and then you can use it as a bottle for the rest of the event.
Fishy tip...

Good tip! :D
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby tatonka » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm

I keep the bottles in the trailer :)
winners never quit , quitters never win

4 wheels move the body , two wheels moves the soul

Music is the great healer of the soul
tatonka

Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:46 pm

tatonka wrote:Thanks all , Does Beer count as part of your water your suppose to bring? ")

Nope, although high in water content it still doesn't offest the dehydrating effect of the alcohol so you do need to drink water with it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Box Burner » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
tatonka wrote:Thanks all , Does Beer count as part of your water your suppose to bring? ")

Nope, although high in water content it still doesn't offest the dehydrating effect of the alcohol so you do need to drink water with it.

Nope! You ain't puttin' water in my beer. I will drink it separately. :P
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:11 am

Drawingablank wrote:

This is true.

Beer can imbalance your electrolytes and make you pee so much that you can end up dehydrated, particularly if you don't eat enough (and the desert will make most people feel like eating less automatically) or if you eat too little salt. I've seen it happen to someone. (He lost about a day to feeling terrible, and getting an IV put into him. Terrible way to lose precious time at Burning Man.)

Here's an example (or just google "beer potomania" or "hyponatremia"). Given, this man drank 10 beers.
http://medicineforresidents.blogspot.co ... mania.html

If you're going to drink beer all day, eat salty food, especially with protein, and drink water, electrolytes, chocolate milk, V-8, etc.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:07 am

Savannah wrote:He lost about a day to feeling terrible, and getting an IV put into him. Terrible way to lose precious time at Burning Man.)

Hey, some people, who would never go to Retrofrolic, look forward all year to lying in a dark, dusty space and having a medic in yellow hook up a drip.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:20 am

Sure, sure you can count the beer as water.......until it's time to shower, then you need to break out the Champagne.

Did you really think that if you poured a bottle of beer into a aluminum container in the privacy of your camp, and take the bottle with you when you leave BRC, you needed to check on this? Seems more like trying to make it an issue, rather than not. The original post -"So ya can... but not... then is that ok?" The suggestions in place are based on reality, and then you ask if it's okay with ??? if you do whatever. "I'm told that this, but can't I do that?" As if the "rules" are making you do something, and a confirmation is needed before you'll go along, not that the sensible reason for doing something is good enough on it's own. Do you understand why glass bottles are frowned on at Burning Man? It has nothing to do with the ones in your recycling box in your trailer. You can do whatever you want. Instead of validation, just do the right thing. Even if you have exceptional night-vision, wear a light at night.
oX1yNxrLh0-EMowyXMe53w2 (Small).jpg

Sorry, I haven't had my first morning beer yet.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:35 am

May I introduce you to the humble Chelada?!

Simply add lime and salt - instant sports drink!
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Previous

Return to Food & Drink