the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Whether you're a registered theme camp or not this is the place to discuss and share camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates.

Re: the Don't Tell Me My Idea Is Crazy thread

Postby Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 pm

ranger magnum wrote:I want to build a hot tub car. Take a chassis from a toyota pick up, and mount a 4 person hot tub to it. The heat for the water would come from the engine. Instead of a radiator, water would flow from the block to the hot tub, then back into the motor.

The driver would sit in the hot tub while driving, using hand controls on the steering wheel. Much like a motorcycle.

The big problem is filling/emptying the hot tub

This can be done if you have good fabrication skills. Putting the driver in the water is the most complicated part, and I'm not really sure it's the best part of the plan.

About heating the water: You absolutely need to keep the radiator for the truck engine. DON'T actually run the engine coolant through the tub, for many reasons, not the least of which is you wouldn't be able to control the temperature of the tub very well. Instead, use the truck's heater hoses to run hot water to a heat exchanger to heat the tub water. The original tub heater is just a tube with an electric heating element in it that the water passes through... you can make a container that your tub water passes through, and plumb the truck's heater hoses through it, perhaps through some coils of copper tubing.

Even a four-person hot tub is awful heavy for any Toyota, you'll be fine cruising 5 MPH but you'll need to beef up the springs.

I don't see filling/emptying it as a big issue. A smaller tub like that is gonna be maybe 300 gallons or so. That will all fit in 6 55-gallon drums and you can get a reasonably inexpensive electric water pump from Harbor Freight. That much water will weigh about 2500 pounds. The rest of the vehicle will probably weigh about that, so maybe 5000 pounds. Any decent two-axle car trailer will handle this contraption.

If I were doing this, I'd get my electricity from the truck engine by using multiple alternators. They sell high-amp alternators for lots of money, but they require a lot of RPM and you'll be idling all the time - instead, go to the local Pull-A-Part or whatever junk yard and get some alternators from late '80s to early '90s GM small cars or S-10 pickups. That will be the "CS 130" unit that cranks out a ton of current at idle speed. You can combine their outputs directly in parallel. You can Google how to wire them, you need to hook up a few extra wires but it's not too complicated. Then run a big inverter. Unless you can get a big enough inverter and enough alternators to run it, you might need to go with a smaller, weaker hot tub water pump than the original one, maybe swap a smaller electric motor onto it or go with an entirely different pump, maybe the same little Harbor Freight unit you use to transfer the water from the drums to the tub. It won't give you the kind of pressure you need for massage jets but it will circulate the water. The start-up current of a standard hot tub pump might be pretty high.

Driving from IN the tub will make setting up the driving position a challenge, it seems you'd either be facing backwards or you'd have a steering column stretching right over the middle of your tub.

I can totally see this thing, all covered in cedar planking, with a nice deck over the engine in front, a big umbrella, etc.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby AntiM » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:05 am

Actually, the biggest problem is public hot tubs aren't allowed.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby VultureChow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:21 am

Replace water with blue balls from a kiddie ball pit.

Put massage chair backs along the sides, so you get a massage from that instead of the water. SOme of them are even heated.

For that matter, you wouldn't need an actual hot tub, just a mockup of one that you could make lighter and to the exact size you want
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 am

I would imagine that the water would turn to playa mud within a very short time. You would have a good few hours and then this wouldn't seem like such a great idea.

Plus, as AntiM said, and type of public pool is not allowed. This would most likely fall under that category.

Aside from those few issues, I love the idea! :D
Sham

Postby Captain Goddammit » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 pm

I know it CAN be done, because it HAS been done! The tub's filtration system works pretty well.
The ones I know about were in busses or trailers.
Obviously you'd have to cover it during dust storms and when unoccupied, and yeah, that issue about public pools would be tricky to avoid in such a vehicle. Actually that might be the spoiler... I don't know how you'd get around that unless you didn't let on that it was ever going to have water in it when you registered it - but then you'd be at risk for impoundment and/or maybe fines, or death by bunga-bunga.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 pm

Make a it private pool. Duh. Next challenge.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby wh..sh » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Make a it private pool. Duh. Next challenge.

:lol:
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Bob » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 pm

GREAT IDEA! BY ALL MEANS DON'T CONTACT ANYONE OR DO ANY RESEARCH BEFORE YOU ROLL INTO THE DMV!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Savannah » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:01 pm

:lol:
Savannah

People Participation Stations

Postby Trishntek » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:39 am

An epiphany was experienced tonight during my usual contemplation on the porcelain vortex. If I could find 10 campers or couples willing to dwell under my shade structure where they could enjoy a 10X12 foot area for personal space. In front of this space, would be a 10X15 foot area with which they can do what they wish, as long as it is interactive and encourages participation.

Each of these spaces would be partitioned for semi privacy and large enough to pitch a modest 2-person tent. They could use some of my furniture, throw a rug and some cushions down, have a massage chair or table, or create some off-the-wall sensual experience yet to be invented. I would merely be the facilitator of their project of participatory presence on the playa!

The individuals would be responsible for the care and supply of their provided space and would only need to cooperate with everyone else to have schedules of similar chronology. I would provide power and general lighting, music, a common kitchen/lounge area and other utilities for waste management, etc. This would all be tucked under 3600 sq. ft. solid shade area complete with tarp flooring.

I put a rough draft together on graph paper,,, any thoughts or ideas? The human factor is always the big variable. I'm still a relative rookie at leading a camp so any comments are welcome.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:20 am

so TnT you would be providing a camp for people who can't get there own camp and shade out? like the idea, for people like me coming from overseas setting up your very own camp is a bit of a daunting project. It's possible to build up things over visits by renting storage but this would make the "trial run" a bit easier. I like it
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Trishntek » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:35 am

Well I suppose from the campers' point of view, the convenience of that would be attractive. But from my point of view, it would provide the campers a nice shady spot to "own" for the week and make something in their given space which flows with the theme of Retrofrolic.

@Graidawg, you saw our space and how it was partitioned and furnished. With a bit of additional infrastructure, it could become a live-in smorgasbord of sensual scenarios. A compact compartmentalized collection of covert corporal confinement; individual turfs of tantalizing, teasing, tugging and tittilation! Doncha see? Cancha unnerstand?
Trishntek

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:56 am

Call it "Day Camp" and have a different group do a theme or event each day.

Ever changing, never boring. 8)

It could be a space in front of your main space.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:58 am

Trishntek wrote:Well I suppose from the campers' point of view, the convenience of that would be attractive. But from my point of view, it would provide the campers a nice shady spot to "own" for the week and make something in their given space which flows with the theme of Retrofrolic.

@Graidawg, you saw our space and how it was partitioned and furnished. With a bit of additional infrastructure, it could become a live-in smorgasbord of sensual scenarios. A compact compartmentalized collection of covert corporal confinement; individual turfs of tantalizing, teasing, tugging and tittilation! Doncha see? Cancha unnerstand?

yep I agree, the way your camp was laid out it would be easy to give people there own space to "experiment with offerings"
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
graidawg

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:33 am

on the "mad dogs" idea I'm having trouble working out how to make a portable shade structure that would stand up to the midday storms. any suggestions?

ETA : a half shell clam monkey hut has been suggested so panic over
completely unconcerned.
graidawg

Postby VultureChow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:47 am

I know they're unpopular, but what about 2 of the more well made ez-ups?

They go up fast, are portable and come down fast. I know some people have managed to keep them alive with careful guying. Plus, it's not like you are leaving them unattended.

For that matter, has anyone ever tried using the ez-up frame but making a custom shade to fit out of mesh shade cloth or aluminet? That would reduce the stress on the frame.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby unjonharley » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:35 am

Just cut a large square out of the top and replace it with shade screen..

Lets the wind out and keeps the shade..
unjonharley

Re: People Participation Stations

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 am

Trishntek wrote:An epiphany was experienced tonight during my usual contemplation on the porcelain vortex. If I could find 10 campers or couples willing to dwell under my shade structure where they could enjoy a 10X12 foot area for personal space. In front of this space, would be a 10X15 foot area with which they can do what they wish, as long as it is interactive and encourages participation.

Each of these spaces would be partitioned for semi privacy and large enough to pitch a modest 2-person tent. They could use some of my furniture, throw a rug and some cushions down, have a massage chair or table, or create some off-the-wall sensual experience yet to be invented. I would merely be the facilitator of their project of participatory presence on the playa!

The individuals would be responsible for the care and supply of their provided space and would only need to cooperate with everyone else to have schedules of similar chronology. I would provide power and general lighting, music, a common kitchen/lounge area and other utilities for waste management, etc. This would all be tucked under 3600 sq. ft. solid shade area complete with tarp flooring.

I put a rough draft together on graph paper,,, any thoughts or ideas? The human factor is always the big variable. I'm still a relative rookie at leading a camp so any comments are welcome.

Pure genius. May I suggest a name? -- "THEME CAMP"
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 am

How about "The Other Center Camp"? or a Centre Kamp for those from overseas?
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:23 am

Whoa, I thought I walked into a "Don't tell me my idea is made of dead horse" thread!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Yes, no horse meat is served on this thread, whether fricasseed or fried, as fajitas or in a canapé.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Trishntek » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Bob wrote:Pure genius. May I suggest a name? -- "THEME CAMP"

Hmmm that leads me to the obvious question, "What made you think that was NOT the subject?"
Trishntek

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
ranger magnum wrote:I want to build a hot tub car. Take a chassis from a toyota pick up, and mount a 4 person hot tub to it. The heat for the water would come from the engine. Instead of a radiator, water would flow from the block to the hot tub, then back into the motor.

The driver would sit in the hot tub while driving, using hand controls on the steering wheel. Much like a motorcycle.

The big problem is filling/emptying the hot tub

This can be done if you have good fabrication skills. Putting the driver in the water is the most complicated part, and I'm not really sure it's the best part of the plan.

About heating the water: You absolutely need to keep the radiator for the truck engine. DON'T actually run the engine coolant through the tub, for many reasons, not the least of which is you wouldn't be able to control the temperature of the tub very well. Instead, use the truck's heater hoses to run hot water to a heat exchanger to heat the tub water. The original tub heater is just a tube with an electric heating element in it that the water passes through... you can make a container that your tub water passes through, and plumb the truck's heater hoses through it, perhaps through some coils of copper tubing.

Even a four-person hot tub is awful heavy for any Toyota, you'll be fine cruising 5 MPH but you'll need to beef up the springs.

I don't see filling/emptying it as a big issue. A smaller tub like that is gonna be maybe 300 gallons or so. That will all fit in 6 55-gallon drums and you can get a reasonably inexpensive electric water pump from Harbor Freight. That much water will weigh about 2500 pounds. The rest of the vehicle will probably weigh about that, so maybe 5000 pounds. Any decent two-axle car trailer will handle this contraption.

If I were doing this, I'd get my electricity from the truck engine by using multiple alternators. They sell high-amp alternators for lots of money, but they require a lot of RPM and you'll be idling all the time - instead, go to the local Pull-A-Part or whatever junk yard and get some alternators from late '80s to early '90s GM small cars or S-10 pickups. That will be the "CS 130" unit that cranks out a ton of current at idle speed. You can combine their outputs directly in parallel. You can Google how to wire them, you need to hook up a few extra wires but it's not too complicated. Then run a big inverter. Unless you can get a big enough inverter and enough alternators to run it, you might need to go with a smaller, weaker hot tub water pump than the original one, maybe swap a smaller electric motor onto it or go with an entirely different pump, maybe the same little Harbor Freight unit you use to transfer the water from the drums to the tub. It won't give you the kind of pressure you need for massage jets but it will circulate the water. The start-up current of a standard hot tub pump might be pretty high.

Driving from IN the tub will make setting up the driving position a challenge, it seems you'd either be facing backwards or you'd have a steering column stretching right over the middle of your tub.

I can totally see this thing, all covered in cedar planking, with a nice deck over the engine in front, a big umbrella, etc.

How about using a heater core in a sealed box as the heat exchanger. Through wall fittings for the water in and out for both the engine coolant and hot tub water. A large 12 volt sump pump would be fine for circulating flow but would not provide jet like force. You would probably want 2 pumps. One for circulating water and one for circulating water through the heat exchanger. I've ridden in a boat hot tub on the playa and it was freaking fantastic. No reason why you could not make it perfectly functional but not fill it with water until the last day or so..... :roll:
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby pink » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:45 am

Trishntek wrote:An epiphany was experienced tonight during my usual contemplation on the porcelain vortex. If I could find 10 campers or couples willing to dwell under my shade structure where they could enjoy a 10X12 foot area for personal space. In front of this space, would be a 10X15 foot area with which they can do what they wish, as long as it is interactive and encourages participation.

Are you thinking of making us bigger? Or are you just tossing the whole idea of Retrofrolic???? Please tell me it ain't so!!! Or just providing us with entertainment? Change is scary!!!!! Arrrgh!

PANIC!!!!
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!
pink

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby moonwookie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm

This was and still is my idea for my own campsite next year, but with a determined effort on the part of a few more people, a theme could emerge. From the outside, the tent would look totally normal during the day...but inside would be a painted forest scene. It wouldn't matter if it's not terribly realistic, in fact a mix of styles would be even better. At night, when these scenes are lit from within (multi-colored lights!), there would be a "forest of forests" on the Playa. Naturally, mine would also have glow in the dark paint so that you could see the outlines of trees and a star field after you turned the lights out. There would be the problem of curious people potentially knocking on your door long after you've decided you need privacy, but maybe there could be a communal something to feed that attention a little bit away from the main group.

After a brief stall in my flight toward Burning Man due to unemployment, I am back on track to attending next year. I will bring candied bacon chocolate chip cookies to the Decompression in LA tomorrow...:)
moonwookie

Burning Since: 2013

Postby ranger magnum » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 pm

Still pondering the hot tub car idea...

Fabrication is a no brainer. I could build this thing from scratch if need be. And I could make it a private hot tub to get past the health department concerns.

The water in the engine would be the easiest way to heat this thing. Hundreds of gallons would act as a heat sink, and probably level out at a comfortable temperature. But I could be wrong.

The jets really should be run off 110v. There are several ways to acheive this, the most reliable would be to run a small honda eu 2000w generator, and mount it in the chassis.

As for the water I could use non potable water with some chlorine. I could then have it pumped out at the end of the event.

Gonna research this.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby andy » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:54 am

[quote="ranger magnum"]Still pondering the hot tub car idea...

Fabrication is a no brainer. I could build this thing from scratch if need be. And I could make it a private hot tub to get past the health department concerns.

As for the water I could use non potable water with some chlorine. I could then have it pumped out at the end of the event.

Gonna research this.[/quote]

You will probably find it impossible to "get" non-potable water. But you can buy the water in Gerlach on your way in.
One issue to keep very much in mind is that water in a moving vehicle will slosh, and if you make a turn, could come flying out.
Finally remember that you should have a cover while heating up the tub - you would lose a great deal of heat otherwise.
I think you want to come up with some way to make the tub use much less water than a conventional hot tub. For example if people had to lie back on a slanted surface in a row, you could cover them to their necks using much much less water than people sitting upright in a circle.
The French Quarter has some sort of tub that they award a very limited number of baths in - check with them how they handle the health dept.
They are too big and well known to be doing this on the sly.

Good luck!

Ember
andy

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:40 am

moonwookie wrote:This was and still is my idea for my own campsite next year, but with a determined effort on the part of a few more people, a theme could emerge. From the outside, the tent would look totally normal during the day...but inside would be a painted forest scene. It wouldn't matter if it's not terribly realistic, in fact a mix of styles would be even better. At night, when these scenes are lit from within (multi-colored lights!), there would be a "forest of forests" on the Playa. Naturally, mine would also have glow in the dark paint so that you could see the outlines of trees and a star field after you turned the lights out. There would be the problem of curious people potentially knocking on your door long after you've decided you need privacy, but maybe there could be a communal something to feed that attention a little bit away from the main group.

After a brief stall in my flight toward Burning Man due to unemployment, I am back on track to attending next year. I will bring candied bacon chocolate chip cookies to the Decompression in LA tomorrow...:)

It's an interesting idea. Maybe lots of mirrors and fake Xmas trees to give the illusion of an endless forest?
Ugly Dougly

Postby BBadger » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 am

You can get non-potable water at some gas stations. Maybe it's for washing cars? We mistakenly thought we could use that for filling up our bottles one time but discovered that it was non-potable, so we ended up using it just for washing. I don't know if they'd appreciate you taking a metric ton or two of water though.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:10 pm

BBadger wrote:You can get non-potable water at some gas stations. Maybe it's for washing cars? We mistakenly thought we could use that for filling up our bottles one time but discovered that it was non-potable, so we ended up using it just for washing. I don't know if they'd appreciate you taking a metric ton or two of water though.

That'd probably be a new one.

"Sir, do you really need quite so much water?"

*glare*

"It's for my hot tub, GOSH."
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 Theme Camps