first year burners fresh off the playa???

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: first year burners fresh off the playa???

Postby Lonesomebri » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Great thread. Fabulous input. Get those thoughts stated while they are still hot.

FESTIVAL !!! http://youtu.be/341qhhEziWg
ygmir wrote:....because, we are one, "of the body" in Landru.................

Lonesomebri

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Postby Noboundaries » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:24 pm

What was the best thing you brought? Anti-gravity chairs for afternoon siestas in the cooling breeze under our white tarped Monkey Hut.
What was the worst thing you brought? A not in good enough physical shape body.
What do you wish you woulda brought? A Utilikilt.
Did you make the trip solo? No.
What one word best defines your experience? Cathartic
Are you going in 2013? Yes, if I can resolve another stone-carved 2013 conflict. For the 2012 Burn we actually asked a daughter to change her wedding date so we could attend the Burn.
What one activity would you tell a 2013 virgin not to miss? Arriving early and staying all week.
What will you do different next time? Be more creative with our clothing and gifting.
How soon did you start planning? During the 2011 Burn weekend.
You are always smaller than anything that upsets you. Remain calm and solutions with boundless possibility will find your heart.
Noboundaries

Postby illy dilly » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Noboundaries wrote:What will you do different next time? Be more creative with our clothing and gifting.

Unless you've been to other burns, or know burners (or hang out on eplaya) almost all virgins walk out of their first year thinking "Next year, my outfits are gonna kick ass!"
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby BirthChazz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 pm

What was the best thing you brought? 24 frozen cotton washcloths (water, lemon juice and some cetaphil no rinse cleanser) and a cooler with dry ice. Handing a hot dusty stranger a frozen washcloth, and watching them just enjoy the momentary bliss.

What was the worst thing you brought? I borrowed a camping stove I did not actually know how to operate. I never used it, so it was a moot point, but if I had taken a little time to figure out how it worked, I might have fired it up at least for tea.

What do you wish you woulda brought? My yukata, and some closed toe slip on shoes for early morning trips to the bathroom.

Did you make the trip solo? I was a solo camp, in a Village where I did not know anyone. is that alone? I don't think so, but I was not actually camping with friends, or part of a group before I arrived.

What one word best defines your experience? Powerful

Are you going in 2013? Already started planning, and marked those days off work.

What one activity would you tell a 2013 virgin not to miss? Take at least one whole day, to _not_ make a plan, just head off on your own, and find an adventure.

What will you different next time? I ached to be part of a group with some project. I loved seeing other peoples work and joy, but I wanted to add my own.

How soon did you start planning? October 2011, I started reading, March 2012 was when I started buying equipment (with the exception of costume items, I bought those all year as they caught my eye)

Burning Man was incredibly empowering. My favorite afternoon- Walking through swirling dust, not being able to see anything but my own body, dust mask and scarf over my face, goggles to protect my eyes, boots to protect my feet. I knew exactly who I was, and where I was going; there was no fear. I walked across the playa, landmarks obscured, not following any marked path- just the one I plotted in my head- and came out directly where I wanted to go. My sexuality, my playfulness, my ruthless practicality just seemed to come together there; I came home feeling 10 feet tall.
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver
BirthChazz

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Spanky's Wine Bar

Postby Savannah » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 pm

BirthChazz wrote:My favorite afternoon- Walking through swirling dust, not being able to see anything but my own body, dust mask and scarf over my face, goggles to protect my eyes, boots to protect my feet. I knew exactly who I was, and where I was going; there was no fear. I walked across the playa, landmarks obscured, not following any marked path- just the one I plotted in my head- and came out directly where I wanted to go. My sexuality, my playfulness, my ruthless practicality just seemed to come together there; I came home feeling 10 feet tall.

Beautiful, BirthChazz. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby illy dilly » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 pm

BirthChazz wrote:What will you different next time? I ached to be part of a group with some project. I loved seeing other peoples work and joy, but I wanted to add my own.

I highly suggest that you check out working a shift at one of the ice stations. OR BETTER YET! Work a couple shifts at the same ice station (the one closest to you).
They are 4 hour shifts, so it doesn't burn a whole day, and its a lot of fun and you give back to the community.
OK, thats a lie, basically the community gives you praise and love and booze, and you just hand them ice- but they love it!
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby VultureChow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:16 am

illy dilly wrote:OK, thats a lie, basically the community gives you praise and love and booze, and you just hand them ice- but they love it!

Loved my impromptu ice shift. I was slinging, and my cashier decided we were the "pant's off line." Men came to us, took of their pants and offered us drinks.

It was the greatest 3 hours of my life.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby illy dilly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:25 am

In that case!
You should keep an eye out for info about an eplaya ice shift in 2013. It completely kicked ass this year!
Will most likely be on Tuesday @ Ice^3 from 9-Noon
illy dilly

Postby VultureChow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:27 am

I will. As a virgin, I made a decision not to commit to any volunteer shifts ahead of time.

Now that I know how awesome it is, I will totally be there.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Milayna » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:55 pm

What was the best thing you brought? Face paint! This allowed me to change my look every day even though I had very few/not very awesome costumes.

What was the worst thing you brought? My U-lock bike lock, after one day it was clogged with playa dust and took several minutes to get unlocked every time, PLUS had a key to keep up with. Next time it's a combo lock all the way.

What do you wish you woulda brought? More variety of food. I did a non-cooler menu, but only bought a few types of canned food, and by the end of the week I was sooo sick of canned salmon and crackers!!!

Did you make the trip solo? yes, but was adopted by a theme camp about 20 minutes after arriving

What one word best defines your experience? Euphoric

Are you going in 2013? Absolutely!

What one activity would you tell a 2013 virgin not to miss? One night just take off alone riding towards whatever light looks cool to you on the playa. Enjoy whatever amazing art piece you've discovered. Repeat. Continue this all night, and invite people you meet along the way to explore with you.

What will you different next time? More interesting, organized gift to the community. Also better alcohol and costumes!! :twisted:

How soon did you start planning? Well, I started in September 2011, but that was halted in February when I did not get a lottery ticket. Then my planning restarted one week before the burn because I got a last minute ticket! :D :D :D :D
Milayna

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:43 pm

Best thing I brought was the rv. Ive done it every other way, and nothing beats a comfy bed, out of the dust and wind with the ac on.

The worst thing I brought was my lap top. I really wanted to write a daily journal of my activities, but only managed to write in it one day!

There isnt anything I wish I would have brought. Ive been doing this since 96, and have most of the essentials permanently in th rv.

Didnt make the trip solo. Came with the girlfriend. Left with a fiance. (yes its the same person)

Best word to describe my experience: relief. Relief that I was back where I belong.

Going back in 2013? Hell. Muthafucking. Yes.

The activity I would tell someone not to miss? The man burn. I still remember the first time I saw it burn.

What would I do different next year? Balance my volunteering with camp duties. I worked so much I didnt get to see alot of the city.

The rv is cleaned and loaded for the next year within 2 weeks of arriving home. All that has we have to do for the next year is shop for food. And the usual vehicle maintenence. As far as planning, the camp has been on playa since 04, so it really doesnt need much planning.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:29 am

dane where is your reply now that you are off the playa :)

What was the best thing you brought?
mole skins!! oh my saved my burn and dane's. Also an open mind and an open heart.

What was the worst thing you brought?
wayyy to many clothes and not practicle ones. also to much canned food. it was gloss by the end of the week. thank god camp mom tink brought extra food! oh also platform boots. they were heavy,hot and stupid out there.

What do you wish you woulda brought?
squirt! tink brought some and it ended up being amazing out there! i also wish i would have brought more light flowy clothes and another pair of shoes.

Did you make the trip solo?
sorta? was going to camp by my self in camp but i got adopted on the way out there so i was with 4 other eplayans.

What one word best defines your experience?
mindblowing

Are you going in 2013?
Is the earth round?

What one activity would you tell a 2013 virgin not to miss?
hummm there is alot of things. I would say being on an art car. it alows you to see alot of the playa easy. If not that then just being on the playa at night. it is so full of life and so many things to look at!!

What will you different next time?
alot of things, different shade (silver tarps), bring my own bike, pre made home made frozen meals, better clothing and boots, going out more in the day, have my own shower cause the camp one broke down all the time, bring a mister for the hot down time in the tent.

How soon did you start planning?
the 2nd day i was there! lol
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks